Why do all Norn males have gynocomastia

Mushin.6789

This has always kind of bugged me, but why do all the male norn bodies have to all have gyno.  I understand that they were trying to differentiate the bodies from the humans but they really took a weird route of doing so.  It is a coming of age ceremony for all norn males have to take all the roids and PEDs to get those bobs?  Probably will never happen but wish they could fix this for EOD.  

Edited by Mushin.6789
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 7

I know right?

This bothers me almost as much as the long finger nails on charr. Why can't they just have normal human fingernails? /s

P.S. Please ignore when the norn turns into animals. Such a turn off, if you ask me. Why can't everyone just be more human? Weird head proportions on those asura as well.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's just where they decided the pectoral insertion points are for male norn. There is actually lots of variance in where the insertion points are even for humans (not talking in game but RL here).

Not every person is going to have the Arnold like insertion points on their chest. Some people have a gap there that no amount of lifting will ever fill, others will insert all the way to the middle of the sternum, but only halfway down and then flare out, which is what you see in the male norn chest.

As for the rest, well male norn like to drink lots of ale, and that would make them carry some extra weight, and weight gets added even on your chest area when that happens.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

That is mammal biology. All females produce milk, and males have pointless nipples.

On earth.

this is a completely different world. A world where sentient plant people are born full grown from trees and creatures from a carnivore line have horns. One can infer from that that the biology is different. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm more bothered by the fact that female norn look identical to humans, just taller. As other people have said they're not human and not even from Earth so there's no reason they should mimic any part of our anatomy. GW2 generally does a good job of avoiding the RPG trope of males from each race looking distinct and females all looking like humans with a few minimal token features to indicate they're the same race as the males (like a more muted version of the same skin colour or cute tiny horns to 'match' the males huge ones).

Of course there's no reason they can't exhibit sexual dimorphism and in real-life humans are a very minimal example of that (the extreme examples are different enough to be mistaken for separate species at first) so they don't need to look just like the males, but the fact that they just look human is disappointing to me. Although the fact that norn culture values pretty similar characteristics for both men and women makes me think sexual dimorphism would be fairly minimal, so they should probably look more like the males.

• Like 6

I believe those are called pectorals ..I could be wrong but pretty sure thats what they are. Also gynecomastia is not about big pects, maybe have a look, its actually a fatty breast like in a woman the shape and texture is not male , big pectorals are just muscle they dont look like moobs  

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2

Norn models are one of the biggest things I think they dropped the ball with. Both the males and females have significant and different problems. And anyone who is mocking anyone who thinks this just isn't very discerning. 

Both sexes have skins that are far too human looking. Females also have human proportions (what's the point?) while males have proportions that totally unaesthetic and do not resemble what you would expect of a giant race. 

So, not only are they both bad, but they aren't even bad in the same way. It really should be updated. I would certainly prefer an aesthetic that is more powerfully built than humans but not so gorilla-looking, with skins that look less human - i.e. winter-burned hardness of features, etc..

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

On earth.

this is a completely different world. A world where sentient plant people are born full grown from trees and creatures from a carnivore line have horns. One can infer from that that the biology is different. 

You can infer whatever, but the universe is definitely based around the natural universe. Mammals are all born from other mammals. Birds come from eggs. The existence of made up creatures doesn't have any bearing on the nature of something the devs have definitely never even considered. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

You can infer whatever, but the universe is definitely based around the natural universe. Mammals are all born from other mammals. Birds come from eggs. The existence of made up creatures doesn't have any bearing on the nature of something the devs have definitely never even considered. 

nope. This is an alien world where humans are not an indigenous species. There’s no reason to believe that their biology follows the one we know. 

just look at the Charr if you want to get into a biology discussion. Carnivores on earth don’t have horns like grazing animals such as deer and goats. Different biology and pathways. 

also, Norn can transform into giant birds, etc. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

nope. This is an alien world where humans are not an indigenous species. There’s no reason to believe that their biology follows the one we know. 

just look at the Charr if you want to get into a biology discussion. Carnivores on earth don’t have horns like grazing animals such as deer and goats. Different biology and pathways. 

also, Norn can transform into giant birds, etc. 

That's fine if you don't want to follow common sense. The wiki compares them to humans at every convenience, and humans are humans. They are only different in size and magical shape-shifting. Nothing in there about them having a different anatomy. Also, humans are indigenous to the planet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

That's fine if you don't want to follow common sense. The wiki compares them to humans at every convenience, and humans are humans. They are only different in size and magical shape-shifting. Nothing in there about them having a different anatomy. Also, humans are indigenous to the planet.

Ahhh. You don’t know the guild wars lore on humans then. 

Link

Wherever they originated, humans are not native to the world as they were brought there by the Six Gods.

while the Norn superficially look similar to humans (look up convergent evolution) they are two separate species from two different worlds. In this case  the Norn are an indigenous species and humans are literal aliens. 

so we have an alien world with magic, species that can change shape, carnivores with deer horns, species that become more intelligent when close together because of a telepathic type bond, an intelligent plant species and fire breathing lizards (juvenile fire drake), yet you balk at the possibility that the biology might be different from earth? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Ahhh. You don’t know the guild wars lore on humans then. 

Link

while the Norn superficially look similar to humans (look up convergent evolution) they are two separate species from two different worlds. In this case  the Norn are an indigenous species and humans are literal aliens. 

so we have an alien world with magic, species that can change shape, carnivores with deer horns, species that become more intelligent when close together because of a telepathic type bond, an intelligent plant species and fire breathing lizards (juvenile fire drake), yet you balk at the possibility that the biology might be different from earth? 

You're right. Why wouldn't we think the biology was different. So why would they breast feed? Thats part of biology on our planet, Women being able to breast feed. Based on the logic you use, which I'm not against, we shouldn't assume Norn even breast feed. 

• Thanks 1