Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

very nice ! i tried to enter the game 10 times.... and as many times the game blocked my computer ! there was nothing i could do  . I have this problem since last night update ...... 21 hours ! i try to log now.. again i cant join and the game blocked my computer !

Edited by LoLita.3694

35 minutes ago, GODh.3892 said:

After the november 9 patch i was unable to start the game (stuck at a black screen). Even the -windowed commandline switch did not work for me (i could see some characters, so it did something, but i was unable to click anything or use the keyboard, so i was still stuck).

But i have found something that works for me to start the game (for me in fullscreen mode)... hopefully it will help you too.

I only tested it with the 64 bit version of gw2!

The executable of the 64 bit version of gw2 is gw2-64.exe. There is also a file called gw2-64.tmp (0 bytes).

When i delete the TMP file then i am able to start the game like i was able to do before the update... so far i tested it with 5 accounts in total 10+ times. It failed once, but now the game closed instead of getting stuck at a black screen.

Again, this seems to work for me... hopefully some people can test it to see if it works for them too (please post the results here, ty) 🥰

Downside: you need to do this every time when you want to start the game (as a new TMP file will be created)!

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me...

We're aware that some players are having trouble launching #GuildWars2. We've been working on the issue and have identified a fix that we will have to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!

Edited by TakaSuka.9285

I gave up playing completely yesterday. Today, after returning from work, I was able to play for two hours (without any problems), but when I tried to switch characters, I was automatically logged out of the game. And now I have this problem again. I tried some of the forum solutions, but nothing works for me ... And I don't know how to change the settings to windowed mode while the game is frozen ...

rename your GW2-64.exe file to GW2-64.exe.old (this file still had an old august timestamp on it)

click on the game icon to launch the game. 
exit game. 
now your executable has 11/9 timestamp form build. 
rename the file back to GW2-64

Run the game as administrator everyone it’s the only thing that worked for me after multiple fails on game client start. Was getting sound no visual on the screen and freezing my task manager like everyone else is talking about here. I ran as administrator finally and it ran like it did before the update two days ago quick.. just do this until they can fix it.. I guess… 

Edited by Nefarious.7304
Spelling

Well at times like this for me the moral of the story is have a backup option of another game to play, other irl hobby, other means of escapism, or just anything to fill that void in my soul irl other than just gw2 lol

Perfect timing for me for pushing myself in the Gym, weight training so not gonna bother with wasting my time with repeated login issues : It's 2 hour Leg Day in the Gym. No pain, no gain?!? Will just leave the devs to sort fix whether it's tomorrow, day after or whenever as not gonna waste any spare time trying 100 different login methods most which are crashing my PC. 

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Haha 1

Posting this again because everyone i have talked to that has the freeze up Audio/no video - can't alt tab or Task Manager end the process.   Please note - this fix will wipe out saved credentials in the client so you might want to get your sign in credentials ready to re-populate or you'll need to do a reset.  Fair warning. 

1)  hit windows key

2) type "run" (without the quotes),  hit enter

3)  type "%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/" (without the quotes),  hit enter

4)  Delete that folder (it will not permanently hurt anything though you will have to reset hardware settings and re-save your login credentials at client.

5)  Fire up the client, sign in, and hit play.

This has worked for everyone i've talked to, though i do note a couple people in the thread that said they tried it and it didn't work.

For ref.  i'm running Win 10, a nvidia 1080-GTX,  and an i7 7th gen.

45 minutes ago, Uselessbard.2078 said:

Didn't work for me.  Come on Anet, I have spent a lot of money on this game.

Same, but at this point I think if this was an easy fix it would have been fixed today. 

Hoping it's fixed within next 24-48hrs before weekend when nothing likely to happen. 

I'm not a developer but I can imagine problems like this from Dev pov can be a major headache. Personally I'd rather them take their time and get the fix 100% sorted, rather than rushing something out which is unstable and could create a domino effect of other issues. 

Am sure whole Gw2 Community is rooting for the Devs to sort this out, but guess we need a little patience or a roll-back to pre-patch for devs to have more time for patch next Tuesday instead. 

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shinavast.1328 said:

1)  hit windows key

2) type "run" (without the quotes),  hit enter

3)  type "%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/" (without the quotes),  hit enter

4)  Delete that folder (it will not permanently hurt anything though you will have to reset hardware settings and re-save your login credentials at client.

5)  Fire up the client, sign in, and hit play.

This is the work around that got me back in as well

This problem hit me today. I was able to log in about an hour ago and play in the Icebrood Saga, Charr Homeland area. Logged out. Went to log back in a few minutes ago, and my pc locked up. No graphics from the game, but heard the music, and I could not interact with any other window or layer I had active. Had to do a restart multiple times. Could not interact even with Task manager since I did not know the keyboard command until reading through this forum, thanks to Proxima.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, Proxima.8264 said:

To everyone having trouble closing the game, just open task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), press G to highlight the guild wars process and press delete. Might save you some restarts 😄

I am confused by this problem. My game updated yesterday, yet i was still able to play last night, and this morning. Only now after noonish does this issue hit me. Confounding.