How important and useful will Skiff be for solo players?

How important and useful will Skiff be for solo players?

Thats my main concerns. since this is a major feature for the expansion, I was wondering how important this will be for solo players. Right now seeing the Siege Turtle in action kind of changed my way of looking at the current EoD gameplay features since I am more of a Solo player. 

From the preview it seem like Skiffs are just a way to fish with friends. But for a solo player thats useless to me. Will we be able to upgrade these to Ships or even have Sea Ship Combat?

Any special mini games on this, such as a Treasure Hunt or something?

Right now it seem to compete with Skimmer in terms of its usefulness other than being a fishing platform. I wonder how you will resolve this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Any vehicle in this game is not that usefull since the game is not truly open world, if they took out the borders or make so we can travel to other maps using the entire border as a portal, and made a point to do it, like some item to delivery for a mission from EoD to lions arch that you can't do just by using waypoints, while also making events by the sea for you to fight while in your skiff or ship, that would be the most awsome content this game has ever seen since core game's dynamic events.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

I was thinking a few days ago how much I would love if we could get our skiffs fitted with jade tech weapons like a machine gun, mortar, or laser cannon. Just think how much fun it would be to sail around the Bloodtide Coast blasting pirates to oblivion. Based on the masteries, looks like we're only getting depth charges which will probably just cc underwater mobs, but I can dream right? Maybe they already thought of adding a weapon to the skiff, and then separated it into the siege turtle instead. But could we get weapons on both please? lol

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I enjoy the chiller aspects of hanging out in the environment of the game and being immersed in the world. I think it will be fun to fish from a boat, solo or with friends, some of the time. As in the real world, most people don’t fish every day all day. 

i agree I play solo far more often than not. 

Edited by WaveIn.4091
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect they are trying to do things that the technology of GW2 can support and not crash from. Logically you build from what you already have and this will bring about new pros/cons. The skiff sounds like fishing QOL plus skimmer and siege mount is mount engage without dismount with increased viability with buddy. I'm not sure what other types of mounts people expect? Maybe a wall crawling mount someday? 

Nothing is new under the sun so besides new mounts and skins the MEAT and POTATOS is going to be in the events, instances and story.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 12:36 AM, mythical.6315 said:

Skiffs will likely only be important for certain fishes as I’m sure you’ll be required to use them for certain ones whether it be because you need to fish in a specific spot or need the buffs from them. 

I definitely expect those special fishing spots that give better fish out in the middle of water. The only way you’ll be able to fish them is using your skiff to give you a place to stand.

I also expect catching better fish to be part of turning our new Return precursor into a legendary.

But maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

They showed that one of the skills would speed up the Skiff, correct? I can't recall, though, whether it's faster than the Skimmer mount.

In any case, I believe its main purpose will indeed be its connection to fishing - so its "importance" will likely be limited to having fun with that pastime activity.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

47 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

They showed that one of the skills would speed up the Skiff, correct? I can't recall, though, whether it's faster than the Skimmer mount.

That was a "player 2" skill iirc.

Just re-watched it, it's a player 1 skill but it's not that much faster than the skimmer and the skimmer seems to be faster without the boost so it looks like that the skimmer is still overall going to be faster than the skiff without the player 2 skills.

Edited by Tails.9372

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

I don’t see them invalidating skimmer by making skiffs faster. 

Wouldn't Skimmer still win out in terms of versatility? Fast, responsive controls, ability to dip under water, engages enemies/allies on dismount, and can be used at full potential with one player? If the best the boat can do is excel in surface travel and offer a fishing buff and AoE with cooldown, that seems distinct enough.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Wouldn't Skimmer still win out in terms of versatility? Fast, responsive controls, ability to dip under water, engages enemies/allies on dismount, and can be used at full potential with one player? If the best the boat can do is excel in surface travel and offer a fishing buff and AoE with cooldown, that seems distinct enough.

Perhaps that would be true if there was more water content. Since players would most often be traversing water to get from point A to B quickly, rather than roaming/exploring, whichever was faster would be what they would go for. If I had to cross a body of water to get somewhere, I’d choose whichever would do it the quickest.