Thanks for change to light armour!

Danikat.8537

Thank you for updating the light armour starter set to Country.

It always kind of bothered me that light armour used the Apprentice set, because the female version is one of the most skimpy armour sets in the game. It's great to have it as a choice (I still sometimes use it on my elementalist) but starter armour is the one and only time players don't get to choose what their character is wearing, especially if they're new and haven't yet unlocked anything else, so if that doesn't suit you or your character you're stuck with it until you get something else. Country is a lot closer to the starter sets for the other armour weights.

And the apprentice set is still one of the ones that can drop at low levels, so if someone wants it they'll be able to swap to it fairly soon.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 3

Interesting! Country Armor does have more of a "starter" look to it.

I've always thought male Apprentice armor was one of the best looking light male armor skins in the game. It's got a nice design and some subtle detail, and fits the models well. My ele wore it for a really long time, and it amused me that it was the very first look of the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How would a new account obtain apprentice armor early in the game? Are they sold at vendors in some sort of basic form to obtain the skins?

Update: Nevermind, I didn't read all the way through Danikat's post. Is that the only way to get it though, as drops?

Edited by notebene.3190
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, notebene.3190 said:

How would a new account obtain apprentice armor early in the game? Are they sold at vendors in some sort of basic form to obtain the skins?

It's the set available from all the generic armour vendors around the game, at level 5 a 'full' set (you can't get head or shoulder armour at that level) costs 2 silver. It also drops from level 2 onwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's the set available from all the generic armour vendors around the game, at level 5 a 'full' set (you can't get head or shoulder armour at that level) costs 2 silver. It also drops from level 2 onwards.

Thank you!

Edit: I just checked a vendor, and there they are (albeit 80th level, as you always see the level you are at). What's funny is I haven't checked one of these vendors in a really long time. Just noticed they have the backpack straps for 8c. I should probably dump the extra ones I have in my bank. 😊

Edited by notebene.3190

2 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Again like how marionette and watchwork knight are being retroactively changed, i do not approve of these woke changes to legacy art styles because the current artists do not approve. 

It is only a matter of time that legacy armor skins start getting changed. 

If they had deleted the apprentice armor from the game, or actually changed its appearance entirely, I'd agree with you - but don't overreact here. The old apprentice armor is still readily available in-game as loot drops or at vendors at very low levels.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

If they had deleted the apprentice armor from the game, or actually changed its appearance entirely, I'd agree with you - but don't overreact here. The old apprentice armor is still readily available in-game as loot drops or at vendors at very low levels.

Slippery slope, only a matter of time. I hope i am wrong, but this is current trend in the game industry. Stop changing old art assets when you have a whole xpac to make new ones.

First it was the female human idle animation, then major redesign of TM, the removal of all watchwork version 1 from DR, and now changing the starter armor that is replace almost immediately.  Anet has shown a history of removing old asset like these.

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
Add example of the slope.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

23 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Slippery slope, only a matter of time. I hope i am wrong, but this is current trend in the game industry. Stop changing old art assets when you have a whole xpac to make new ones.

First it was the female human idle animation, then major redesign of TM, the removal of all watchwork version 1 from DR, and now changing the starter armor that is replace almost immediately.  Anet has shown a history of removing old asset like these.

And you are saying this is bad?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

13 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Are you really going to mention that old idle animation? This happened so long ago that it is not linked to this current "trend" at all. In fact, this reminded me of some evidence that dismantles your unfounded fears. Just look at the /stretch emote that they added this year. It's way more provocative on human and sylvari females than the old stretching idle animation used to be. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Ganathar.4956 said:

Are you really going to mention that old idle animation? This happened so long ago that it is not linked to this current "trend" at all. In fact, this reminded me of some evidence that dismantles your unfounded fears. Just look at the /stretch emote that they added this year. It's way more provocative on human and sylvari females than the old stretching idle animation used to be. 

They've also added revealing armour sets in recent years. Look at the light Bounty Hunter set, or the Perfected Envoy top for example so I think it's hard to say there's an overall trend of removing them.

I don't know for sure of course, but I suspect they only swapped the starter armour for the reason I mentioned in my first post - it's the one and only time when you can't choose what your character is wearing. Players who aren't new might have an outfit to swap to or could use transmutation charges to change it if they don't like it (although both of those have a cost associated with them which isn't great) but new players don't get that choice and aside from the brief glimpse of higher level armour sets on the character creation screen might not even know what's available so it could give the impression that GW2 is another of those games where female characters are going to be stuck in minimal clothing, at least if they choose light armour.

I'm not new and don't mind it in general but I will sometimes immediately swap it for something else, because if it's not right for the character that bothers me. (On other characters I've used transmutation charges or the equipment from armourers to keep it for longer.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

It's also one of the few "townsfolk" armor styles you see around, so it makes more sense for you to be wearing that, just starting out on your adventure, with the story idea of "stepped out from your normal life one day to see the world" than the apprentice, which afaik isn't used by NPCs much or at all.  Now, to be really immersive, they'd have "townsfolk" style armor for each race that is appropriate for each race and adjusted for the story path you chose... but nine years in, I'm betting, codewise, that boat has sailed.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

It's also one of the few "townsfolk" armor styles you see around, so it makes more sense for you to be wearing that, just starting out on your adventure, with the story idea of "stepped out from your normal life one day to see the world" than the apprentice, which afaik isn't used by NPCs much or at all.  Now, to be really immersive, they'd have "townsfolk" style armor for each race that is appropriate for each race and adjusted for the story path you chose... but nine years in, I'm betting, codewise, that boat has sailed.  

That does sound cool, but I agree it's probably a bit late for that. The nearest you get is being given a chest piece in your racial style as one of the story rewards around level 30, and an Order weapon when you join an order.

I suppose you could do a DIY version though, starting out with something like the Common Clothing Outfit (which changes based on your race), then going through cultural armour styles and Order armour, but I think it would need something as 'Pact Commander' armour too and I'm not sure what would fit that role.

(Although later on you could then use the HoT and PoF armour sets and end up with something like mistshard or the herald of Aurene outfit.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That does sound cool, but I agree it's probably a bit late for that. The nearest you get is being given a chest piece in your racial style as one of the story rewards around level 30, and an Order weapon when you join an order.

I suppose you could do a DIY version though, starting out with something like the Common Clothing Outfit (which changes based on your race), then going through cultural armour styles and Order armour, but I think it would need something as 'Pact Commander' armour too and I'm not sure what would fit that role.

(Although later on you could then use the HoT and PoF armour sets and end up with something like mistshard or the herald of Aurene outfit.)

My daughter does something similar, (and will strongly encourage those playing with her to do the same), depending on where she is in the story.  I'm not sure either what Pact Commander armor would be, though I suppose by then, whatever you wear is probably considered Pact Commander armor by those NPC fashionistas who want to look as cool as you!

I've been known to rip off NPCs armor mixes and matches, though, for characters I envision as priest/priestess of the various Six, or for humans with the noble/poor background, etc or even as festival officials.  There're some neat ones around, I always kind of wondered if Anet was giving us a wink with them, especially as they seem mostly to be newer NPC additions.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 4:36 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

Does not matter get replaced 5 minutes into the game anyway... 

Well, it'll save my family the little grimace we all share when my daughter creates another new light armor character. Yeah, she quickly replaces it, but she doesn't feel comfortable with her character wearing it, so it's a little awkward moment after character creation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, it'll save my family the little grimace we all share when my daughter creates another new light armor character. Yeah, she quickly replaces it, but she doesn't feel comfortable with her character wearing it, so it's a little awkward moment after character creation.

Buy her an outfite she can put that on straight away when starting the character.

• Like 3

Here we go.....

i don't like soemthing, let's change it for everyone.

What is exactly wrong with the Aprentice armor?

Usually i play the heavy armor classes, but i haven't seen anything that would qualify as really skimpy.

Every normal beach on the planet would be more "skimpy" than any GW2 armor

• Like 4
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Buy her an outfite she can put that on straight away when starting the character.

Yeah, there was totally work arounds. Small thing, I've never complained about it, but this new change does make a difference to someone. And doesn't hurt anyone else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 12/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, Mungrul.9358 said:

@Gibson.4036, that's a genuine sad-face from me, as it's a real shame your daughter has to experience that in the first place.

True! The horrors of seeing skin of your character, better focus on all the killing instead 🤗 

(not that I care about that change, but reaction of some people here is vastly exagerated)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1