Oh Gods! "Blade Runner" Kaineng City is real :(

Latest Artwork for New Kaineng City

Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a futuristic Cyberpunk Game.

Make a new game if you must, but don't ruin this one by mixing genres to such extent. 😢

Edit - Please read this also:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
P.S.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 37
  • Sad 1

• Ashantara.8731 changed the title to Oh Gods! "Blade Runner" Kaineng City is real :(
8 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I love it (and I hate Blade Runner beyond its visuals). I think this is exactly where GW2 should be going.

I don't think most players who have been playing GW2 since launch started this game so they would be playing in a cyberpunk universe.

I hate this direction. I feel 100% alienated by it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If this is the future of GW2, I suppose it is time to start looking for another MMO. 😢

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 25
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't think most players who have been playing GW2 since launch started this game so they would be playing in a cyberpunk universe.

I hate this direction. I feel 100% alienated by it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If this is the future of GW2, I suppose it is time to start looking for another MMO. 😢

No you won’t be the only one, just like there will be others - new and old - who will be attracted to it. 
Does it fit GW2? Completely. Will everyone like it? No. 

The real test is how it feels in game and in the story. And the artistic banner may be overdoing it a lot being conceptual, but if it all pulls together with the story, then I’m all in. I’ve been losing interest for ages and this has me excited again

edit: as Cedo says below, this isn’t in game footage so let’s not get too carried away either

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Does it fit GW2? Completely.

I disagree. It feels forced.

It's like "The Legend of Korra" compared to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" - the latter was fantastic, because it had a uniform style and feel to it; the former is terrible in comparison, because it mixes old and new in a way where things just feel out of place, which is what happens when you wildly mix not only genres but also different time eras that don't go well together.

GW2 is not a science-fiction game. If they are going to turn it into one, they will see large numbers of loyal, paying customers leave. I doubt the younger generation is going to invest as much real money as us veteran players have for over nine years.

• Like 4
  • Confused 26
  • Sad 1

Ohmygosh this looks amazing!! 😍

And yeah, it's only concept art - there's quite a few examples in-game of how concept art as seen on loading screens doesn't match the actual location (Amnoon, The Grove, Rata Sum, the Black Citadel, Bloodtide Coastetc.) - but I really hope they go in this direction. It looks fantastic...and fortunately, it doesn't have an overdose of hideous bright green jade. Bleck. Now that I dislike.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

GW2 is a mix of fantasy and sci fi elements though. We killed Zhaitan on an airship using a giant energy cannon. We use a mix of technology and magic in season 3 to try and kill Jormag and Primordus and we trained against their minions on a holodeck.

No it isn’t pure sci fi, but it isn’t pure fantasy - that is Lord of the Rings or Elder Scrolls. It’s a blending of the two which is reflected in Cantha with all this new Dragonjade tech. The visuals might be inspired by cyberpunk, but it’s still magi tech. And that is GW2

Do bear in mind, I approach this as veteran player since launch

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 4

I am kind of mixed on it, but I think given the plot of the story, it is a believable development for a city in Cantha. We've seen holomancy take center stage before, and given the plentiful supercharged jade a city getting ensnared in technological advancement to the point of hitting cyberpunk could definitely happen, especially under certain leadership styles.

As long as they make it that...overgrown to make a point about the plot and dont rely on the theme going forward/restrict it to a couple of maps, I'm fine with it.

The visuals might be inspired by cyberpunk, but it’s still magi tech. And that is GW2

Dragon supercharged magitech, at that. 

I think this is the point. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You know, there's another game franchise that looks to be moving in the same direction, and I actively despise it. The difference is that that other game - Dragon Age - has always been nothing but fantasy. Even the scarce technological elements (an early version of gunpowder, ironclad ships) makes sense within the low-tech, high-magic world, and don't look out of place. Yet suddenly, come next game, we appear to be hurtling headlong into Blade Runner/Cyberpunk territory - granted, in a location we haven't ever visited in a game before, but that's been described in books and comics and doesn't have that aesthetic.

I hate it. It makes absolutely no sense for the fantasy world and aesthetic of Dragon Age. I don't care if it's all powered by magic (which actually raises its own problems given how magic works in that world; it really looks like the devs went "Neon lights look cool! We gotta get them in there!! ...lore-breaking? LOL what's that?"). I don't care even if it looks interesting. It just doesn't fit.

This, however? GW2 has never been straight fantasy. (Even GW1 had the beginnings of magitech, and that's long before the asura showed up.) It has always been a unique blend of fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, cyberpunk with the asura and especially Inquest, and who knows what else. This fits, both in the aesthetic and in its place in the world.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

GW2 is not a science-fiction game. If they are going to turn it into one, they will see large numbers of loyal, paying customers leave. I doubt the younger generation is going to invest as much real money as us veteran players have for over nine years.

People really need to stop pushing this notion that GW2, or just the Guild Wars series in general, never pushed the Sci-Fi theme in any capacity. We've been having these sci-fi themed scenarios in the game since Eye of the North in GW1 and the fact that people are still thinking GW2 doesn't explore Sci-Fi makes me feel like we're not playing the same games at all.

I'm not going to judge people for when they started this series but from the moment I set foot in pre-searing Ascalon in the launch of Prophecies all the way up until this point, I've seen this series transition its world, which actually makes it feel like a genuine Living World because there's a genuine sense of time passage that no other MMO is capable of truly capturing. 

This is literally no different to Rata Sum at all. Heck, Rata Sum is actually worse with the amount of Sci-Fi technobabble and imagery it produces. Cantha on the other hand has a far more balanced feel to it. This literally feels like Kaineng actually evolved technologically but at the same time it still feels like the metropolitan city I remember. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

We will see how it is going to look ingame, this is just some artwork showing off the style they were going for. I imagine it is like a re-imagined Rata Sum taken a notch up. Honestly, I could see Rata Sum looking like this if they made it today.

Though my first impression did leave a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth, I can't really say this doesn't fit the game. It makes sense, given all we know about Cantha so far. Holograms are nothing new, the two things that scream futuristic to me are the holo-monitor and the green lamps/lights, which are very unusual for GW2 as we know it so far.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Pre-launch trailer.  Looks pretty 'sci-fi'.  (Magi-tech.)

Skip to 2:43 for more 'sci-fi'.  (Magi-tech.)

I don't think you get me.

It took me a while to make my peace with the Charr steam tech and the annoying increase of Asuran technology everywhere (like those comm devices that are constantly being used to replace dialogue scenes). But there are limits, and mine is likely to be reached with Jade Tech.

My only hope is that, by the end of EoD, it will all be destroyed and we can go back to playing a fantasy game about monsters and villains, secrets and treasures, adventure and exploration. That would be nice.

34 minutes ago, Blocki.4931 said:

We will see how it is going to look ingame, this is just some artwork showing off the style they were going for. I imagine it is like a re-imagined Rata Sum taken a notch up.

Yes, and that "notch up" is the straw that might break the camel's back for me.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't think you get me.

It took me a while to make my peace with the Charr steam tech and the annoying increase of Asuran technology everywhere (like those comm devices that are constantly being used to replace dialogue scenes). But there are limits, and mine is likely to be reached with Jade Tech.

My only hope is that, by the end of EoD, it will all be destroyed and we can go back to playing a fantasy game about monsters and villains, secrets and treasures, adventure and exploration. That would be nice.

Yes, and that "notch up" is the straw that might break the camel's back for me.

I dont think it's going to be destroyed, but I do think that some elements of the technological surge here will spread into other maps. Perhaps that inevitability will be pleasant if it is very delicately balanced. A couple of lights here and there might be nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a futuristic Cyberpunk Game.

Honestly, same. Love cyberpunk settings, never felt that GW2 was one of them. Even with the Asura around, their creations seemed tempered by the fact that so many of them were unreliable and prone to rebelling against their creator. It was a world with magic and some tech, but a smudge of mud on it too that helped the two elements coexist.

Now we're gearing up to have sleek Jade Tech microwaves, smart phones, hoverbikes, and mech dragons zipping around, plus an isolated Human nation somehow producing Asuran architecture and making leaps in technology that core Tyria hasn't managed even with all the time and resources available to them (including a benevolent elder dragon). I don't know that it's worth leaving the game over something like this, but to me the vibe is very different from the game I bought when I first started playing. People can love or hate that as they please, but to me the difference is very clear.

I'd still like to wait for the expansion to come out so I can give it an honest assessment, but I'd prefer if GW2 didn't launch futuristic. It's alright to dislike (or like) this shift in direction; you are definitely not the only one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

9 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Honestly, same. Love cyberpunk settings, never felt that GW2 was one of them. Even with the Asura around, their creations seemed tempered by the fact that so many of them were unreliable and prone to rebelling against their creator. It was a world with magic and some tech, but a smudge of mud on it too that helped the two elements coexist.

Now we're gearing up to have sleek Jade Tech microwaves, smart phones, hoverbikes, and mech dragons zipping around, plus an isolated Human nation somehow producing Asuran architecture and making leaps in technology that core Tyria hasn't managed even with all the time and resources available to them (including a benevolent elder dragon). I don't know that it's worth leaving the game over something like this, but to me the vibe is very different from the game I bought when I first started playing. People can love or hate that as they please, but to me the difference is very clear.

So much this. ❤️ Others try to argue that "It's always been like this", but that's just not true!

10 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'd still like to wait for the expansion to come out so I can give it an honest assessment, but I'd prefer if GW2 didn't launch futuristic. It's alright to dislike (or like) this shift in direction; you are definitely not the only one.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I'm feeling a bit relieved now that some people seem to understand.

And yes, I can't make a final assessment at this stage either, but the design direction seems clear (you made a good list of examples in your second paragraph).

I will definitely play the expansion, since I already paid for it, but I have started looking into new MMORPGs for 2022.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

Just can’t wait to see what they release eh, gotta get all the hand wringing in while you can?!?

I am glad the devs of GW2 push the aesthetics into different territory. This will always be a fantasy game, and at the same time, have appeal to a wider audience.

It’s not like we are riding around on  stuffed toy mounts….that would break the fantasy feeling pretty quickly I’d imagine. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's like "The Legend of Korra" compared to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" - the latter was fantastic, because it had a uniform style and feel to it; the former is terrible in comparison, because it mixes old and new in a way where things just feel out of place, which is what happens when you wildly mix not only genres but also different time eras that don't go well together.

i dislike cyberpunk, steampunk.

I like noir, but i disliked forced noir/investigation with Jory on LS1.

One thing i liked on IBS was absence of inquest/asura tech(not counting champions DRM's ofc). The charr tech was a fresh air.

We have asura labs on LS2, HoT, LS3, LS4, annoying taimi Radio on POF. its just enough.

About "Legend of Korra" also aside of steampunk, i also detest the "belle epoque".

20 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Just can’t wait to see what they release eh, gotta get all the hand wringing in while you can?!?

I am glad the devs of GW2 push the aesthetics into different territory. This will always be a fantasy game, and at the same time, have appeal to a wider audience.

It’s not like we are riding around on  stuffed toy mounts….that would break the fantasy feeling pretty quickly I’d imagine. 

its not new, just more the same, Aetherblade fractals on open streets.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

> I disagree. It feels forced.

I think this is the point. 

Yes. Their attempt to keep the game fresh by re-inventing the wheel in the art design ("Let's go more futuristic, guys!") and narrative department ("Everyone loves teen slang!") of all departments is not the answer to making an aging game stay successful. It just gets as old and boring quickly as before.

I mean, the uncustomizable UI aside, this game has a fantastic engine - try to imagine the things they could do with it!

For instance, one thing I never understood: GW1 already had a dual-class and weapon choice system that offered a lot of freedom to players. Why did they not transfer it over to GW2? I am sure it could have been implemented alongside their trait system.

Instead, they imposed a system of weapon and skill limitations on the player, and now - after nine years - have to rack their brains to come up with new elite specs and profession mechanics that are "fresh", and end up mixing elements of different professions that feel contrived at best.

Why not leave it to their players to decide what they want to mix into their primary profession so they can create something that suits their own vision and playstyle? Discarding dual-classes and the freedom of weapon choice in favor of a very limited spec system was a huge mistake. (And don't give me that "But balancing!" argument, because they could easily lock the system to single-class for PvP contents.)

It all just feels forced, and to me the new design choices for Cantha are just another step in the wrong direction...

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

12 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It all just feels forced, and to me the new design choices for Cantha are just another step in the wrong direction

That isn't what I meant. 

I mean the design choice for this map, compared to the style of the rest of the game,  feels forced or unnatural due to a deliberate decision by the art team, in order to send the message that the tech may be becoming too pervasive, too quickly. The style shift is jarring, but logical given what we know about dragonjade. I think that's less an attempt to cater to trends and more a "look what happens when magic is too plentiful" bad future lampshade.

It comes off as dragon corruption-y , except this kind is made by tyrians. Makes me think that "End of Dragons" may be referring to more than just the obvious beasts. Time will tell though. 

Class design/pvp balance is another subject entirely. My stance on that is different but I'm tired talking about it.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1