Skyscale Quest Fix Request

7 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

This collection almost made me quit the game. The legendary neck, while better, left me feeling raw too. I think it would have been fine not forcing us to replay all that story and letting us pick fewer objectives from each episode, kind of how they let us beat strike missions to avoid some ib saga objectives. This dragon. I dunno. I can't even begin to fix it. It's totally worth it if you like the game, my only recommendation is to spread it out more and do other things you actually enjoy in between. 

Really? There's even someone that somehow manages to complain about about getting a legendary amulet for the fast and easy return to missions (and some parts of the story can be completely skipped if you've already played them before btw)? Now I've seen it all. Hopefully 😄 

@Epilogue.4735  If you don't think it's worth it, then don't do it. I can agree that "run around the map to the same x points 3 times" is annoying, but it isn't nearly as bad as you're making it to be.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 9
  • Confused 3

I am glad to see that I am not alone in this way of thinking and I would like to add my opinion too to this and probably many won't be agree but some will and I hope devs will notice this topic because it's important take a note on this Achievement/Time gated game changing ''item'' (mount)

First of all I am agree with the author but I understand the other camp too.

The game needs challenge,not necessarily like the Raid/Fractal or this achievement wall breaker type ...those are for hardcores but many of us are not that pattern memorizing type who finds fun in working based on patterns and doing strictly what others say in a guide or youtube video.

There are people out there who love challenges but be solved in our way .

Let's be honest,this quest chain is boring and dull,like the gryphon plainly said it's a pure boredom ofc who got it already doesn't care anymore and who not they complain.

What many doesn't understand that complaining about a thing is not always for the bad of the game or to make it's way easier to achieve things and sometimes it's constructive.With the current level of gaming experiences many players have sight on good and bad features of other games too which it's possible could have been a great addition to GW2 but this experience allows some people to see things what the ones who only plays GW2 does not see.

Related to skyscale quest it's something new indeed I never ever found such a boring and annoying quest chain and I have played plenty of games.

Only the middle part is lovely where you have to play with,wash and feed your skyscale,of course is time gated too but then you have to get back to the lovely Grind Wars.

Farm the currencies .... this is the part where I gave up on skyscale and said Anet put your mount somewhere ... ... ...

Okay it's not that hard you have trains and party finders but do they understand that there are casuals too?Okay there's the counter part the ones who ate skyscale in the first weeks maybe the first month without guides which we now have very detalied.

The mount is legendary indeed,but we cannot compare it with a legendary armor ,jewelry or weapon yes these give advantage but not that much.You won't complete the maps faster with them,you wont hit the dragon 2+ times/dragon in Dragonstorm event while others barely manage 2 in total /chance and other things in world events,etc

Now in my opinion this Skyscale quest chain should have looked like this(short version):

First part should have been about learning what the skyscales are from legends and tales:

Visiting order halls-reading books-gathering information

Second part- Should have been one of two first as it is now the second you tame a juvenile skyscale.

Third part is fine learning how to cooperate with your skyscale,make bonds.

Fourth part - Gather items to empower your skyscale these from instances,Arah,Twilight arbor,Citadel etc

Fifth part - Ride to points ,checkpoints in limited time to improve your ability to ride your skyscale.

Sixth part -possible end- Use your skyscale in several boss events(randomly for every player based on some choices -Dignity-Charm-Ferocity)

Enjoy your ride

The game needs challenges and challenges are a must to not get bored too quick but it feels now like it's something forced to draw the time more. I understand that everybody differs but I am sure that there are many people who prefers emotions/experiences/feelings to acquire even if the story is short or the achievement is easy but you remain with the feelings of a well made story or a well cooperative achievement where you form some bonds as it was before...Queensdale boss trains,so many people met there,you knew everybody now boss trains are silent and repetitive,no chit chat or barely...this is the wrong direction and these achievement walls and gatings does not help at all.

Both camps have their truths luckily we all differ and Anet's job is not easy in balancing things but in PoF things have turned bad especially for casuals and I would bet that next expansion will keep on with this type of content creation.

While fanboys/girls passionately downvote any topic which not includes praising of the current system I hope Anet thinks about our point of view too and makes some changes in the next expansion,now PoF will remain as it is but the future expansions still can be changed so even more could enjoy the Grind Wars in their own proper way of achieving things.

Instances must be revived,Zhaitan dead rework Orr,Dragons dead...add dwarves,tengus,bring new legendary quests,deepen the lore,etc there are so many things devs could work on instead of these achievement walls and time gatings...just imagine a new race how many things would revive again...so many possibilities but so small willingness to make the right choices.

All of this is my personal opinion and Anet got enough people,well paid people to think about these things and of course they know it better than us the players,they got the numbers 😄

Happy new year to everybody!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Sorry, I get the annoyance that OP is expressing, but, you'll get no sympathy from me.  You want the mount, you do the steps.  I've done it on three accounts, assisted numerous guildies (at different times), and completely hand-held another (now) former guildie through it.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've done it more times than I can count.  You want the mount, you do the work.  Period.

Would I like to see Anet put another one just like it in the game?  Not just no, but hell NO!  But that is a separate discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:05 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

WoW also doesn't have mounts that do anything like GW2 mounts do afaik. And there you are kept busy with level cap raises and new gear tiers, which is something this game specifically doesn't do. I mean Blizzard had to reduce the number of levels in WoW at some point because it was getting out of hand. In essence that's an entirely different kind of grind. So really, you can't compare the two just like that.

i am not specifically talking about grind for mounts.......*facepalm*

in general, WoW does it's stuff better by filling it with interesting quests.

and while it's still allot of fetch quests, they make sure it's interesting and in small steps.

what Anet did is make a horrible map filled with meta's that kicks everyone off the map every X moments and added an achievement tied to this skyscale which btw is a big collection to get trough, to make matters worse they time gated the whole thing with a huge grind following that.

in order to actually make it fun they should've made a story out of it, make the steps (collections) smaller and put the stuff on a save map so the collection isn't hindered.

further more, gating should just go, instead it would be nice to have a certain item your skyscale can collect, growing it while chasing after them. (so no grinding for items that get in your inventory)

it would make this collection much more fun and allot less a chore.

• Confused 8

21 minutes ago, sorudo.9054 said:

and while it's still allot of fetch quests, they make sure it's interesting and in small steps.

what Anet did is make a horrible map filled with meta's that kicks everyone off the map every X moments and added an achievement tied to this skyscale which btw is a big collection to get trough, to make matters worse they time gated the whole thing with a huge grind following that.

in order to actually make it fun they should've made a story out of it, make the steps (collections) smaller and put the stuff on a save map so the collection isn't hindered.

further more, gating should just go, instead it would be nice to have a certain item your skyscale can collect, growing it while chasing after them. (so no grinding for items that get in your inventory)

Its like a legendary collection, theres nothing different from making legendaries.  It is pretty much the 'legendary' mount as already said.  You should treat it as a long term goal for an optional mount, its quite understandable you are looking at burnout if you want it right here and now.

Myself I rushed it at release, and I admit freely that I used the online guide that quickly appeared to find all the needed stuff in Dragonfall.  Seriously, people is making too much fuss about that part. It was one of the fastest done things.

Edit: If you think the Skyscale is hard, you should look into making legendaries such as Vision. Then youd quickly see how much easier the Skyscale is in comparision.

Like needing x3000 kralkatite ore.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I also agree if it's legendary there should be a sense of achievement by doing a bit of work so you can appreciate it more. I honestly don't mind the "go there and fetch this" types of quest. It makes me explore the map more and I like these quests. But I understand why it might be annoying to others.

What I personally find annoying is collecting mats for skyscale saddle. The horror, the tediousness of it...good lord ☠️. I've been stuck on collectiong difluorite crystals for a couple of months now. I feel like you can get other mats much faster than these crystals. I'm really fed up with Sandswept Isles and just can't seem to continue farming there.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tinchpinch.8651 said:

I also agree if it's legendary there should be a sense of achievement by doing a bit of work so you can appreciate it more. I honestly don't mind the "go there and fetch this" types of quest. It makes me explore the map more and I like these quests. But I understand why it might be annoying to others.

What I personally find annoying is collecting mats for skyscale saddle. The horror, the tediousness of it...good lord ☠️. I've been stuck on collectiong difluorite crystals for a couple of months now. I feel like you can get other mats much faster than these crystals. I'm really fed up with Sandswept Isles and just can't seem to continue farming there.

Do the Return to xxx achievements, you can get 500 map curencies for ls4 to help you out with the saddle.  That is a major timeimprovement right there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Lots of ignorance in these responses.  OP made it very clear that they can stomach difficulty, but can't stomach monotony.  Skyscale chain has it in spades.  In retrospect, I don't mind it.  Would even do it again. But in the moment I hated with a fiery passion the first half of it because I knew it was just insulting my play time.  It's insipid and worthy of complaints like this.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

Guess you never did the Nether drake grind, they've probably watered it down too in WoW.  Grind.  Grind....run in circles....grind.  And less storyline.

This wasn't everyone's thing, and that's fine.  MMO's are notorious for run across the world to get a cup of tea, to run back, to have the quest giver tell you it's the wrong kind, to run back across the world, to run back, to get a cup of sugar, run back, only to be told it's cold.  It is certainly not as world ending as many make it out to be...nope you can not get it one day.  Nope it's not instant gratification.  It's not a perfect story.  But it's not going to change, those who want it will work to get it, those who don't will complain.  And still not as bad as some other games or even other legendaries.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

lol. That collection is nothing else than a bunch of small steps. Just because you want to knock it all out at once doesn't mean you can't completet it gradually step-by-step. If you want to rush through the steps, it doesn't mean there are no steps -it just means you want to rush through it anyways despite what you're claiming above.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Its like a legendary collection, theres nothing different from making legendaries.  It is pretty much the 'legendary' mount as already said.  You should treat it as a long term goal for an optional mount, its quite understandable you are looking at burnout if you want it right here and now.

Myself I rushed it at release, and I admit freely that I used the online guide that quickly appeared to find all the needed stuff in Dragonfall.  Seriously, people is making too much fuss about that part. It was one of the fastest done things.

Edit: If you think the Skyscale is hard, you should look into making legendaries such as Vision. Then youd quickly see how much easier the Skyscale is in comparision.

Like needing x3000 kralkatite ore.

if it was truly legendary it would actually fly and can attack while still on the mount, i see it more like a slower version of the griffon with the added bonus that it can stay stationary. (which isn't even worthy if seeing as legendary, maybe ascended)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, sorudo.9054 said:

if it was truly legendary it would actually fly and can attack while still on the mount, i see it more like a slower version of the griffon with the added bonus that it can stay stationary. (which isn't even worthy if seeing as legendary, maybe ascended)

There is far more use for the skyscale than there is for the griffon. The griffon only shines in areas where you can take advantage of its superspeed flying.  Whereas the skyscale shines in tighter areas and vertical ascend, so much more precise without forced momentum.

Personally I never use the griffon anymore. The skyscale is just far more useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

At the op. 

Do you mean you hate the first part of the skyscale achievements or the totallity

I can agree to some degree with the first part being monotonous, but the rest of the series is pretty good in my opinion, I personally liked the time gated parts making me feel more immersed

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

if it was truly legendary it would actually fly and can attack while still on the mount

...by what definition that's what would make it "truly legendary"?

If you think it's not good/not worth it then I'm not sure what you're complaining about here. Just don't get it and play how you want. Meanwhile you're complaining about not getting the mount (or it being too hard) while at the same time knocking the mount down as something meh. So which one is it? If it's nothing special then playing with what you have shouldn't be a problem. (and I think it isn't a problem btw)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

It can go further vertically than a griffon.  From take off to the blue bar emptying it can get a it higher than a springer. Then if there is a wall it can grab on, use the yellow bar to get a bit of the blue one back, go a bit  higher.

Being able to stay in the air has a big advantage. Part of hatching the egg for example involves getting to the highest point of a wall in Blazeridge Steppes. Acrophobia. Obviously I needed to use a springer to get there, it was part of the quest to get the skyscale. Needed to reach a very small floating pillar. Missed the jump a few times. If I had a Skyscale I'd have got it first time.

Also was doing some content in Verdant Brink today. I've used a Griffon there in the past and it was good for getting about. Skyscale though, it was really good.

Edited by Sinmir.6504
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:07 PM, Firebeard.1746 said:

This collection almost made me quit the game. The legendary neck, while better, left me feeling raw too. I think it would have been fine not forcing us to replay all that story and letting us pick fewer objectives from each episode, kind of how they let us beat strike missions to avoid some ib saga objectives. This dragon. I dunno. I can't even begin to fix it. It's totally worth it if you like the game, my only recommendation is to spread it out more and do other things you actually enjoy in between. 

Well you didn't have to replay the entire episode, only the story instances. In some cases that's only 2 instances in a week.  You can skip all the open world stuff as long as you're doing it on a character that's already done it.  

13 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Well you didn't have to replay the entire episode, only the story instances. In some cases that's only 2 instances in a week.  You can skip all the open world stuff as long as you're doing it on a character that's already done it.  

And this was something I didn't know at first as I'd never done LW replays on the same character before. So I actually still did most of it this way until the very end, like last 1/3rd. Even then, my last 3rd was LWS4, and there were enough other side objectives that even despite this, it still felt kind of long. LWS4 was a masterpiece, but as a firehose, it kind of sucks. 

That's still very little comfort: that's kind of a terrible new player experience or even returning veteran if they missed the story. A kick in the teeth grind is that last thing you need if you're in either of those places. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 3

On 1/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

lol. That collection is nothing else than a bunch of small steps. Just because you want to knock it all out at once doesn't mean you can't completet it gradually step-by-step. If you want to rush through the steps, it doesn't mean there are no steps -it just means you want to rush through it anyways despite what you're claiming above.

This opinion from the OP has been expressed so many times in game and even quite a bit on these forums. You're just attacking other people to try to look cool. I know of people who quit over the skyscale. You can argue it's fast all you want, but many people feel this way. 

And can you tell me which games you've designed? And how they're going? I'm just curious what background you're coming from that you feel like you're so good at game design you get to tell people they shouldn't complain about poor design. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

And this was something I didn't know at first as I'd never done LW replays on the same character before. So I actually still did most of it this way until the very end, like last 1/3rd. Even then, my last 3rd was LWS4, and there were enough other side objectives that even despite this, it still felt kind of long. LWS4 was a masterpiece, but as a firehose, it kind of sucks. 

That's still very little comfort: that's kind of a terrible new player experience or even returning veteran if they missed the story. A kick in the teeth grind is that last thing you need if you're in either of those places. 

Well, if you were a new player, or a returning player that hadn't done the story, you wouldn't be able to skip parts of the Episode and use the purple stars.  Not sure what the point was, there. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

As a new player experience, they'd be playing through the story the first time. Arguably it's the best experience for a new player. It keeps them in the zone the way the zones were meant to be played.

As a returning player, who actually likes the open world it's a great experience, because I got to relive a lot of the stuff I really liked in the first place.

The problem here is you don't really like the game. If you did you wouldn't have problems with a couple of story instances and the open world.  I mean the entire thing might take 3-4 hours a week, for many weeks, but that's no less or more time than I'd spend on most legendaries. And this is the only legendary I've ever gotten that didn't have any gold component at all.

Furthermore, you don't just get a legendary amulet. You get a ton of mystic coins, unided dyes, black lion skins, a 32 slot back, an ascended weapon...honestly for what you get from it it's almost nothing.  Seasons of the Dragons was hands down the single most rewarding quest chain we've ever had in this game.

The fact that you think replaying old areas is a chore says more about how you feel about this game than the achievement itself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:40 AM, Firebeard.1746 said:

This opinion from the OP has been expressed so many times in game and even quite a bit on these forums. You're just attacking other people to try to look cool.

Expressed what opinion? That the collection isn't a bunch of small steps? And the fact that -apparently- multiple people expressed that false opinion makes facts irrelevant? The collections are just sets of tasks you have to do. The "sets of tasks" that are the same as "multiple steps" which were asked for in the post I was responding to.  What exactly am I "attacking" here and how exactly what I said is wrong?

I know of people who quit over the skyscale. You can argue it's fast all you want, but many people feel this way. 

Cool and what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at the part you're responding to with this. I said collections consist of multiple steps, I said nothing about the whole process being fast.

And can you tell me which games you've designed?

Again: what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at sentence/part/word you're responding to with this. Or are you just fishing for some weird strawman here since you can't respond to what I actually said because you know what I said is just true?

Really, if you quote my post, try actually responding to it please, thanks.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Yeah op kinda agree. People complained about map currencies but for me the boring part was actually the first parts in Dragonfall.  Pixel hunt the whole map several times is boring. Sure you can use wiki and it just becomes a chore. But that is a bad design. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

What I can agree about the skyscale quest is that the first parts were cognitively un-engaging.

This is why I don't engage in the traditionally-defined MMO behavior of farming.  It just has no cognitive engagement; thus, it's really boring.

What I, personally, would like to see differently is for more varied gameplay with these kinds of quests and collections.  I do not believe the OP was asking for a "nerf" of the content, id est, not requesting to make it easier to obtain.  It's a matter of not wanting to be bored while engaging in a leisurely activity that is supposed to supplant boredom.  Of course, one can argue that if it is so boring one can simply not engage with the optional content.  However, I feel that we're doing ArenaNet a better service by pointing out unhappiness with boring mechanics.  It may be a minority opinion, and if so, oh well.  There is nothing wrong by pointing out that something is boring, though.

I do understand the business aspect.  To create a huge chain of in-game activities that are varied is a stupidly vast amount of work.  It is far easier to throw in the, essentially, same 3 "fetch-quest" architecture than design 3 separate and distinct methods and activities.  This is a compromise of what developers want to do and the realities of deadlines and project costs. 

I also want to point out that the idea that MMO's require a level of "suffering through the work" to be.... intriguingly strange and self-inhibiting.  Why would anyone actively and willingly advocate for their leisure activity to be less ... fun (for lack of better terminology)?  The only reasoning I can see is that players are so desperately in need of in-game stuff that begets external validation from others, id est, the "prestige" syndrome.  Would not varied and engaging gameplay, of equal time-commitment and cognitive effort, accomplish the same goal?

Just my 2 copper on the subject.

Edited by Rogue.8235
changed dangerous to self-inhibiting for better literary precision
  • Thanks 2