What happened to EOD and Anet?

NKC.. all I can say is that it's a ghost town for giants that also looks like a work in progress instead of anything that should have been released yet.

Everything there is at least 2-4 times too big so it looks huge from the sea, but when you're on ground level it just looks silly when there's only a handful of people on the streets in a place that has buildings that look like they could house the whole planets population twice.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Kikokuma.9405 said:

Why does EOD feel like it was made by a completely different company? Why does Jade bots require charges to use? (is this fun?) Why do I now need to stop by a workbench to change out modules on the Jade bot when literally nothing in GW2 ever has required you to do this before? (is this fun?) Why is New Kaineng city Soooo freaking big just for the sake of being so freaking big? It's so empty feeling with nothing to do in it... it's a pain to get around. (is this fun?) Why Are all the new characters being introduced in the story being A-holes just for the sake of being A-holes? (who is writing this?) Like seriously.... WHO MADE THIS EXPANSION?!?! Why is it SO FREAKING BUGGY?!?! This is not Anet quality and I seriously regret preordering this... Last time I preorder anything from Anet on good faith. 

FF14 is why.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kikokuma.9405 said:

Why does EOD feel like it was made by a completely different company? Why does Jade bots require charges to use? (is this fun?) Why do I now need to stop by a workbench to change out modules on the Jade bot when literally nothing in GW2 ever has required you to do this before? (is this fun?) Why is New Kaineng city Soooo freaking big just for the sake of being so freaking big? It's so empty feeling with nothing to do in it... it's a pain to get around. (is this fun?) Why Are all the new characters being introduced in the story being A-holes just for the sake of being A-holes? (who is writing this?) Like seriously.... WHO MADE THIS EXPANSION?!?! Why is it SO FREAKING BUGGY?!?! This is not Anet quality and I seriously regret preordering this... Last time I preorder anything from Anet on good faith. 

1. Yes, it is fun. Tons of fun, in fact. (Even for someone like me who usually detests this level of technology in a fantasy game and who doesn't like the jade-tech/jade punk aesthetics.)
  2. "So freaking buggy"? Have you ever played GW2 content before? Because it sure sounds like you haven't. Previous releases were so much worse that this one feels like a walk in the park in comparison.
  3. They have added a lot more flavor to the game: new mechanics of which many require a lot more work for your brain (which is good).

Are you telling me that you want a repetition of the same old boring types of content that never showed any growth? The game has finally evolved!

The devs of EoD have done everything right this time. If you don't enjoy the brain challenge it poses nor the beauty of its complexity, nor the awesome game design this expansion harbors, then that's on you and not on the devs.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 24

33 minutes ago, Mikali.9651 said:

Sadly, I refunded this expansion. This is not nearly good enough for me, and I eagerly wanted for this expansion to convince me that everything will be good with GW2. It didn't, it actually shattered it further.

Everyone has their opinion, and it's fine. I personally loved this expansion, but I'm more into the story than anything else and I felt they did a fine job with that.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 10

I'm glad I'm not the only one... I misplaced my thread about the story dialogue in the general forum, but I feel the exact same way about it

Why Are all the new characters being introduced in the story being A-holes just for the sake of being A-holes?

Seriously, the dialogue gives me physical pain sometimes. I'm just gritting my teeth and trying not to scream every time Mai Trin attempts some sort of apology and then whiffs it and segues into awkwardness. Who the hell is Yao and why should I care? Why does so much of the dialogue happen over a defective magical walkie talkie with ear-bleeding static fuzz? Why not use the space you've built and put the characters in a physical location to meet and speak with them?

Honestly at the end of the day I think EoD is a mess because it doesn't have a clear stylistic identity. It's a mishmash of clashing ideas forced together, and the characters are just fumbling their way through it with jokes and quippy remarks. I saw a huge beautiful town in Shing Jea, surrounded by a well-constructed stone wall with traditional japanese roofing.... ruined by a bizarre green Necron force field along the top? Why? The wall is like 60 feet high. No one on foot is gonna cross it.... and the force field isnt high enough to block me from flying over it. What's the point? To make it look good? It doesnt look good. It looks like warhammer 40k Necron tech slapped on top of a feudal japanese wall.

• Like 25
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, vectorfox.6894 said:

Elaborate, i've never played FF14.

It would take too long to explain everything, but FF14's story is very well written, especially once you get to Shadowbringers and Endwalker. The writers treat all of the characters with respect. The dialogue isn't juvenile. The plot doesn't ignore or retcon anything. In fact, they take everything that's been set up for the last 10 years and tie it all together into a satisfying conclusion. Dare I say, the story makes you feel real human emotions? They don't destroy the tension or the tone with random jokes or jabs. The villains have relatable motivations and backstories that are revealed in ways that make sense. You have real reasons for fighting them. It's not just shallow saturday morning cartoons pitting the hero against a paper-thin bad guy. If you play Shadowbringers and watch Yoshi P talk about the development of the game, you can really tell they care deeply about the verisimilitude of the game they are making. It's not just a job to them, or a soap box to speak from.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  1. They have added a lot more flavor to the game: new mechanics of which many require a lot more work for your brain (which is good).

Are you telling me that you want a repetition of the same old boring types of content that never showed any growth? The game has finally evolved!

No. It's not. It was terrible every time they tried. But at least I was able to self select. To better decide what to play and how I enjoy playing.

The entire expansion is one huge attempt to conflate difficulties and drag me into content I do not enjoy. Strikes aren't strikes anymore. Harvest temple is literally just a raid boss. 

I'm playing to unwind. Maybe with my own music or an audio book or a tv show on the second screen to pass downtimes. I don't want to use my head more, listen for queues, coordinate in voice coms. Sometimes, sure. But not all the time. I just wanna grind little bit by little bit in a beautiful open world most of the time. 

And I frankly don't appreciate how much ANet is pressuring me to invest more time and effort into having fun. 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Kikokuma.9405 said:

1) The charges are a strange thing, as they area bit inconvenient and certainly more inconvenient than the rest of GW2. Everyting about the Jade-Bots seems a bit out of place. There's no logic behind what is a Sensory module and what a Service Chip. I mean, features that loot or find chests sound like sensory stuff, note everything of it is. Pushing mount stamina sounds like a service, but it isn't, it's somehow linked to sensors. Anyway, I get this point. To be fair, the charges only seem to matter in NKC and in part in the jade Sea and as soon as you leveled up the bot mastery, it gets a lot better. But is it fun? It's kinda cumbersome to be honest. Maybe I just need to get used to it, But as of now(day 3 after he expansion) It just seems weird.
2) Kaineng City should feel a bit more populated. I know, mayn players are grinding story or want to explore. So it's fine not seeing everyone everywhere or meta maps not getting filled up. These things will change over time. But there's just not enough traffic, not enough NPCs walking the streets or boats in the canals. I wouldn't use the term ghost town, as I'm still seeing at least one player to whatever event I go to, and there's quite a lot of stuff to look at and interact with. But is this fun? I'd say it's something that could be improved, but i guess having more NPCs would probably explode the servers or something. The map is still beautiful(imho) ad fun to explore. It is like an urban Tangled Depths, so there's the fact, that your minimap won't help you much with orientation, but that's another issue.
3) I like the humour of the NPCs and the ambient dialogue, so is it fun? Yes it is.
4) Why so freaking buggy? Well, tbh, I don't know how other companies/MMOs's launches look like, but this one was rather smooth. Don't forget, we're only in like three days, stuff is getting fixed and launch was ultra smooth when compared to PoF. Arer there things that need to be sorted out asap? Sure. And when I still have problem anchoring ymy skiff in three months, its time to complain. But now, as patches are rolling out three times a day, it's too soon for that. By these standards, every game released in the last ten years was a buggy mess.
5) Give it time(or don't, but if you leave, can I have your stuff?). I'm sure many of the rough edges will be smoothed out in the coming days/weeks. There's a balance patch in summer and then we will have the final version of EoD about which we can complain that X still isn't fixed and Y is still cumbersome.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

23 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

I'm playing to unwind. With a tv show on my second screen.

In that case, I am certain there are plenty of other games you can play to unwind while watching tv. It shows how little you appreciate this game, so let others who take it more seriously have their enjoyment of full immersion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 19

Seriously u got to be kidding. This is the best expansion gw2 ever had to date. And thank God part of the team is new, they did a stunning job. And yes jade bot is fun and charges mechanics I like too!

I have the feeling some people just need to complain no matter what. 

I have never been easy on Anet, but this time I was really impressed by Anet's work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 27
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

No. It's not. It was terrible every time they tried. But at least I was able to self select. To better decide what to play and how I enjoy playing.

The entire expansion is one huge attempt to conflate difficulties and drag me into content I do not enjoy. Strikes aren't strikes anymore. Harvest temple is literally just a raid boss. 

I'm playing to unwind. With a tv show on my second screen. I don't want to use my head more, listen for queues, coordinate in voice coms. Like, maybe sometimes. But not all the time. I just wanna grind little bit by little bit in a beautiful open world most of the time. 

And I frankly don't appreciate how much ANet is pressuring me to invest more time and effort into having fun. 

So if I understand correctly you are moaning about the game requiring your attention instead of being brain dead cause u wanna watch TV while online? How about you go world boss train for your braindead content and let us play the expansion? Cause we do really want to play the game full immersing in it. It's a shame you can't appreciate the love Anet put in this expansion. I can see it in all the details in Cantha like nowhere else in Tyria. 

Edited by Aedil.1296
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 20

46 minutes ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Seriously u got to be kidding. This is the best expansion gw2 ever had to date. And thank God part of the team is new, they did a stunning job. And yes jade bot is fun and charges mechanics I like too!

I have the feeling some people just need to complain no matter what. 

I have never been easy on Anet, but this time I was really impressed by Anet's work. 

If this is the best then PoF and Hot must have been utter hot garbage, because honestly EoD was launched a year too early. E-specs are all unbalanced and hardly anyone is excited over them unless they are broken, you can still jump over a Bladesworns attacks, too few NPC's, not much to do, empty zones a bad balance patch on launch that cost the game hundreds of players and a very badly designed final meta that requires better then meta builds to beat. 

If Hot and PoF were both worse then that, that's actually kinda amazing 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Xenon.4537 said:

It would take too long to explain everything, but FF14's story is very well written, especially once you get to Shadowbringers and Endwalker. The writers treat all of the characters with respect. The dialogue isn't juvenile. The plot doesn't ignore or retcon anything. In fact, they take everything that's been set up for the last 10 years and tie it all together into a satisfying conclusion. Dare I say, the story makes you feel real human emotions? They don't destroy the tension or the tone with random jokes or jabs. The villains have relatable motivations and backstories that are revealed in ways that make sense. You have real reasons for fighting them. It's not just shallow saturday morning cartoons pitting the hero against a paper-thin bad guy. If you play Shadowbringers and watch Yoshi P talk about the development of the game, you can really tell they care deeply about the verisimilitude of the game they are making. It's not just a job to them, or a soap box to speak from.

No. FF14 story is utter trash.

"FF14 is why" means FF14 is popular(due to it being a literal cult fan base hyping it to the extreme) and Anet completely copied its terrible pacing/gameplay/story writing.

Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

A-holes are fun. Also let's talk Ivan - best kitten NPC introduced in this xpac.
Sorry but if i get anymore of Kass/Jory, Elen Kiel or Queen Jennah i'm gonna hurl.

I'll take my Canach and Ivan anyday over them, ty.
Plot wise Yao indeed seems to be there just to be there and am bit irked by the fact that we get so much Luxon and Saint zu Heltzer throwbacks on the sides, yet nearly none of them and their viewpoints in the main storyline.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

A-holes are fun. Also let's talk Ivan - best kitten NPC introduced in this xpac.
Sorry but if i get anymore of Kass/Jory, Elen Kiel or Queen Jennah i'm gonna hurl.

I'll take my Canach and Ivan anyday over them, ty.
Plot wise Yao indeed seems to be there just to be there and am bit irked by the fact that we get so much Luxon and Saint zu Heltzer throwbacks on the sides, yet nearly none of them and their viewpoints in the main storyline.

No comment on Ivan yet ill need to give the story another playthrough but Canach is definitely still more tolerable than the others in this band of heroes. Though sometimes the humour is a bit much or out of place.

Dont bother with the story too, its meh. Feels like its written by west teenagers. Fishing is only for achievements/mats. Skiffs only for fishing (never seen any boat races, is there any?). Jade Bots are nothing great, except for personal WP. 

But there are some good stuff, like big maps, well developed landscapes, new metas, legendary weapon, and secret stuffs(if any)

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

Just to comment on the thread in here about the "teenager" dialogue.. I noticed that as well, and of course they would have had their reasons for writing that sort of dialogue.  Maybe the writers are just young, and this is how they talk? I dunno.  Like, in the story where Taimi gushes like a school girl and actually says "amirite?"  Now, maybe it's because I am far from being a teenager and so this sort of dialogue doesn't click with me.  But I can't help but think this sort of dialogue won't age well.  I mean, remember back in the 90s or whenever, when the "cool" teenagers were talking like valley girls?  "Grodie! Gag me with a spoon!"  Yeah.. that sort of stuff never ages well.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I have to say, after playing all of GW2, every expansion, every living world season, and now finished EoD story and 100% completed these maps as well....

Now moving on to collections, new masteries, alts... GW2 was always "the game that respects your time" ...but seems like it doesn't anymore.

Edited by Fleo.7324
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast.5416 said:

Just to comment on the thread in here about the "teenager" dialogue.. I noticed that as well

What? 😂 That has been an issue for years (see my signature). At least, this time they manage to not make the modern speech and tongue-in-cheek sound like those characters were dimwits.

How anyone can perceive EoD's dialogue as worse than the torture we had to endure for almost a decade is beyond me. The Icebrood Saga alone was cringeworthy dialogue-wise. EoD's dialogue was a significantly higher league, especially in comparison.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5