What happened to EOD and Anet?

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  1. Yes, it is fun. Tons of fun, in fact. (Even for someone like me who usually detests this level of technology in a fantasy game and who doesn't like the jade-tech/jade punk aesthetics.)
  2. "So freaking buggy"? Have you ever played GW2 content before? Because it sure sounds like you haven't. Previous releases were so much worse that this one feels like a walk in the park in comparison.
  3. They have added a lot more flavor to the game: new mechanics of which many require a lot more work for your brain (which is good).

Are you telling me that you want a repetition of the same old boring types of content that never showed any growth? The game has finally evolved!

The devs of EoD have done everything right this time. If you don't enjoy the brain challenge it poses nor the beauty of its complexity, nor the awesome game design this expansion harbors, then that's on you and not on the devs.

You need to lay off copium for a bit

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

This is the best expansion at launch. I have encountered no bugs so far, except for dragonflies ha ha And the best story by far!  I usually hate playing the stories. They are boring chat fests, with no skip button.  I have more fun in this story than in any GW or GW2 story.

The maps are gorgeous, but yes Kaining city is too large and ridiculous to navigate... just like Lion's Arch and the Black Citadel (among others). So that is nothing new.

I do hate the mini-game aspect of fishing, but no game can be perfect. 

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 9

8 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

So if I understand correctly you are moaning about the game requiring your attention instead of being brain dead cause u wanna watch TV while online? How about you go world boss train for your braindead content and let us play the expansion? Cause we do really want to play the game full immersing in it. It's a shame you can't appreciate the love Anet put in this expansion. I can see it in all the details in Cantha like nowhere else in Tyria. 

I was explaining that I enjoy playing in a casual, laid back way. The focus isn't on TV but on something else where I can switch attention back and forth as convenient. An audio book, podcast or even my own music are functionally the same in this case. Just so during downtime (of which there's plenty all across the game) there's something I can focus on for those 15+ minutes before focusing primarily on playing again.

It was not a statement about the expansion. Just what I enjoy most in GW2. I have been playing fully focused, audio on. Even installed arcdps for the first time, looked up a meta build on an old spec and recrafted my ascended equipment to it, benchmarked my rotations, explain the meta event in chat, put down waystations and food. 

I'm not sure what you are demanding of me. But this is far beyond "appreciating immersion". It's so hard, any immersion was utterly shattered without me having anything secondary running. And I just long for the times where I didn't have to be a tryhard pro having to constantly interact and read what other tryhard pros write. Which is thoroughly unpleasant. 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

In that case, I am certain there are plenty of other games you can play to unwind while watching tv. It shows how little you appreciate this game, so let others who take it more seriously have their enjoyment of full immersion.

It is incredible in how bad faith your response is. The TV thing was just an example for how I enjoy playing more casually. Having something else on in the background for the plentiful downtimes you experience when playing really anything in the game. Podcasts, audio books or my own music fulfill the same purpose. And it was an example for how I enjoy playing usually. 

I've done literally everything in my power to immerse myself and enjoy the game. And it's just pushing me away. ANet made the entire experience utterly miserable. 16+ god kitty hours. There is no immersion anymore. Just suffering and agony that no AR can save me from. 

This is just the usual elitist rhetoric of "git gud or get out". Which is frankly the most insufferable thing about the meta. Having to have map chat & co on for coordination but it is just a downer. Every single time. Because of elitist bricks. Even seen people ask for LI for an open world meta. Just, what!? 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Xenon.4537 said:

It would take too long to explain everything, but FF14's story is very well written, especially once you get to Shadowbringers and Endwalker. The writers treat all of the characters with respect. The dialogue isn't juvenile. The plot doesn't ignore or retcon anything. In fact, they take everything that's been set up for the last 10 years and tie it all together into a satisfying conclusion. Dare I say, the story makes you feel real human emotions? They don't destroy the tension or the tone with random jokes or jabs. The villains have relatable motivations and backstories that are revealed in ways that make sense. You have real reasons for fighting them. It's not just shallow saturday morning cartoons pitting the hero against a paper-thin bad guy. If you play Shadowbringers and watch Yoshi P talk about the development of the game, you can really tell they care deeply about the verisimilitude of the game they are making. It's not just a job to them, or a soap box to speak from.

To be fair, FFXIV isn't really an MMORPG.  The maps of the game exist only to service the story. Once the story is done there is very little to do. I sub to FFXIV for 1 month every 6 months or so to catch up on story and do any new stuff they add, then unsub. There's very little replay value. Once the story is done, there's just very little. I agree that the ffxiv story is great though, but it's not really an MMORPG. In the latest dev letter they said they are moving to make a lot of FFXIV not require other players going forward, as well. GW2 is at least trying to be an online game where you are with or around other players most of the time outside of story instances. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Erise.5614 said:

It is incredible in how bad faith your response is. The TV thing was just an example for how I enjoy playing more casually. Having something else on in the background for the plentiful downtimes you experience when playing really anything in the game. Podcasts, audio books or my own music fulfill the same purpose. And it was an example for how I enjoy playing usually. 

I've done literally everything in my power to immerse myself and enjoy the game. And it's just pushing me away. ANet made the entire experience utterly miserable. 16+ god kitty hours. There is no immersion anymore. Just suffering and agony that no AR can save me from. 

This is just the usual elitist rhetoric of "git gud or get out". Which is frankly the most insufferable thing about the meta. Having to have map chat & co on for coordination but it is just a downer. Every single time. Because of elitist bricks. Even seen people ask for LI for an open world meta. Just, what!? 

Right? I can't help but notice that I see people express their concern about GW2 (i've been playing since beta) That the direction the game is going in doesn't look good, The people that usually "defend" the game are really just attacking the people that are concerned about the game. This "get good" mentality is so awful for games. I understand whales are whales and sunk cost fallacy is a thing but you need to be able to look at a game objectively. Especially if it's one you love cuz if you are just pushing away more players by telling them they are bad, or "get good", or "your wrong cuz i'm still having fun" that isn't objective. That's subjective... you might still like something sure, but if the majority of players are saying this is bad and you just want to shout at them.... then the game is going to die and everyone loses then. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kikokuma.9405 said:

Right? I can't help but notice that I see people express their concern about GW2 (i've been playing since beta) That the direction the game is going in doesn't look good, The people that usually "defend" the game are really just attacking the people that are concerned about the game. This "get good" mentality is so awful for games. I understand whales are whales and sunk cost fallacy is a thing but you need to be able to look at a game objectively. Especially if it's one you love cuz if you are just pushing away more players by telling them they are bad, or "get good", or "your wrong cuz i'm still having fun" that isn't objective. That's subjective... you might still like something sure, but if the majority of players are saying this is bad and you just want to shout at them.... then the game is going to die and everyone loses then. 

We try to be honestly constructive about our feedback, just to be destroyed... although I have seen several badmouths posing as being constructive as well. Diplomacy with mannerism will bring you father, than with pitchforks in a way.
Take the terrain you should take but don't aim too high.

I had some legit concerns since Raids came out that the community would be splitted between the casual/easy-going, and the hardcore/trytoohards (I think is the term?). And I wasn't wrong.

I have seen an obscene increase of toxicity since those have appeared. Gear Grind, DPS Check Kicks, KillProofing, Yelling for making a Legit Mistake (which those should honestly be taken more lightly), META Builds and all the stuff, since HoT as far as I remember.

The content is good on theory, but it did brought the worst out of people I fear like.

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, Bakeneko.5826 said:

You need to lay off copium for a bit

You must have me mistaken for someone else. :classic_blink:

Have you read any of my pre-release posts where almost everyone was picking on me for telling what I was seeing and not liking about things shown during the livestreams? (Some even got personal and were basically telling me to quit the game because I didn't like certain aspects. I guess you can't please everyone, ever. 😉)

So, I am certainly not on copium, thank you - I am merely speaking the truth about my perception of this expansion. I love it.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Wait... is that a thing now???!!! 😧

Yes. The final maps' meta actually uses raid mechanics.😄 And it can easily fail if it isn't well coordinated.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 3/3/2022 at 6:07 PM, Kikokuma.9405 said:

Why does EOD feel like it was made by a completely different company? Why does Jade bots require charges to use? (is this fun?) Why do I now need to stop by a workbench to change out modules on the Jade bot when literally nothing in GW2 ever has required you to do this before? (is this fun?) Why is New Kaineng city Soooo freaking big just for the sake of being so freaking big? It's so empty feeling with nothing to do in it... it's a pain to get around. (is this fun?) Why Are all the new characters being introduced in the story being A-holes just for the sake of being A-holes? (who is writing this?) Like seriously.... WHO MADE THIS EXPANSION?!?! Why is it SO FREAKING BUGGY?!?! This is not Anet quality and I seriously regret preordering this... Last time I preorder anything from Anet on good faith. 

I'm with you 100%.  I regret buying it.  The worst part is I KNEW it would be garbo from all the gameplay videos I saw prior, and yet I still trusted Anet to deliver a quality experience, because that's what I'm used to.  I guess I hadn't realized just how much the studio had changed over the years.  Unrecognizable.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy the maps but I am not a fan of the characters. They all behave like sarcastic brats. My Charr commander in all reality would've kicked them to the curb a long time ago. I'll continue to explore the maps, but Cantha is just a very eerie place to me. One heart quest had me knocking on doors and killing people without much explanation as to why. Just weird stuff that had me wondering what my character was doing, and who the good guys really are in this story. Maybe I'll learn more as I get deeper into the story, I have not finished the expansion yet.

My first impressions though is that I like HoT and PoF more than EoD.

• Like 8

Some annoying bugs but overall love it. Seitung and Dragon's End are beautiful, and I like fishing a lot, it's super chill.

Disappointed with the new GH, lack of new decorations, the annoying crashes during metas and all the bugged achievements... and the fact none of the new specs really seem that exciting and I couldn't care less for them, the only one I actually want to play is Virtuoso.

I liked most of the story, I like the direction the writing has gone in.

Impressed with the size of the maps, they're mostly fun to explore (tho there's a few annoying PoIs in some maps).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the zones are pretty but none of them have the replay value that the heart of thorns zones do, just due to rewards or just not having any events really.

There's also been this leaning towards these weird abstract systems and currencies additions lately. Seemed like in IBS things changed a bit. In this expansion there are way too many currencies, and papers, and whatever a research paper is for the cores or modules or whatever it is you buy. They at least reworked the way strike mission currencies work which is an improvement. But that same kind of needlessly convoluted logic has been applied so many other places this expansion, namely the jade bot system from having a core per character to having batteries and using the workbench... It feels very much like something Blizzard would do for their systems, but Blizzard obviously has a reason to create those convoluted systems because its easier to manage player time. 

In here I think it's less intentional and more just a unique idea they have and everyone gets behind it and suddenly that idea becomes 4 slots clogging up your inventory, 8 tabs on some random vendor in the middle of nowhere that may or may not get a special icon at some point on the map, or whatever that Joko forsaken turret system was in Kourna. 

I think the jade bot has a lot of potential, but I wish you could interact with it or just have the option to have it like a mini or something you can always leave out or reskin or whatever. And the battery system is 1.) Annoying. 2.) Seeing a sea of gold text everywhere on these beautiful maps and realizing it's all jade bot terminals and batteries... it's hideous to me. Idk why. I know jade tech is a thing here but like, if you really need THAT many interactable objects all over the map just to make use of the mastery... was it really that good of an idea in the first place?

The functionality by itself has so much potential without all the boon terminals or any micro-managing battery system. Disgusting. They can sell gem store modules with unique equips like the hunting contracts for materials or something else. Improving the free range movement and letting you just toggle it to free range ANYWHERE in the world to use as a selfie cam or drone or whatever. That's a huge thing for so many people in their community in and of itself. Just look on here, on reddit... pictures daily people have taken of their armor or their superman and hulk cosplays... people would use the mastery just for that. But having a personal waypoint and someone to help you res every... what... 10 minutes or something?... 

In retrospect I wasn't thinking about the free range movement and how they would be able to do that without having an actual model that takes up space in the world. But I'm also not really sure I remember them explaining why that was an issue? When we already have pets, meta events spawning planets worth of trash mobs, necromancer minions and minions that have minions... What was the deal with this again? 

I'm not really sure why they felt the battery mechanic was necessary. Was it like an immersion thing? That would be pretty ironic considering the fact that they're now a dwindling resource. I mean, I got my battery to open this chest of bloodstone dust, but it looks like little Mei Lin and Choo Moo are going without power this week! 

Honestly, guys, why? Just why? Why did we make this decision? 

Edited by Bast.7253
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, Shiyo.3578 said:

No. FF14 story is utter trash.

"FF14 is why" means FF14 is popular(due to it being a literal cult fan base hyping it to the extreme) and Anet completely copied its terrible pacing/gameplay/story writing.

Ff14 is the 14th main titled series they've been making stories that people have enjoyed for decades now. It's little wonder why they have the best and why most people don't compare as other comaplnies don't have thr pedigree. Ff14 has topped wow meaning it's recently popular a title earned through the effort of their devs.

To call them trash when their constant jrpg successes with story has built up so much over the years. Anet can't even fill thr season 1 holes and just like WoW the only thing they copied was an end all expansion. Which ended horribly for both WoW and Vw2 because they really didn't build up anything leading to an epic conclusion in the first place. Also many new players gave up on story in this game after the post zhaitan skip which skips all the s1 namely character introductions and development just a bunch of creepy smiling strangers calling you boss.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 3/4/2022 at 2:39 AM, lokh.2695 said:

1) The charges are a strange thing, as they area bit inconvenient and certainly more inconvenient than the rest of GW2. Everyting about the Jade-Bots seems a bit out of place. There's no logic behind what is a Sensory module and what a Service Chip. I mean, features that loot or find chests sound like sensory stuff, note everything of it is. Pushing mount stamina sounds like a service, but it isn't, it's somehow linked to sensors. Anyway, I get this point. To be fair, the charges only seem to matter in NKC and in part in the jade Sea and as soon as you leveled up the bot mastery, it gets a lot better. But is it fun? It's kinda cumbersome to be honest. Maybe I just need to get used to it, But as of now(day 3 after he expansion) It just seems weird.

I think the  names "Sensory Array" and "Service Chip" have no meaning at all. Anet maybe just wanted some random names that sound better than just "placeholder1" and "placeholder2" . Or maybe more was planned but it was stripped down because it was not ready yet or did not work.

I like the bot drone. It would be nice for selfies/screenshots if we could toggle the visibility of the drone.

But why do I have to use a "Jade Bot Terminal" to activate the drone? It would make more sense, if we could activate the drone via a hotkey (of course not in WvW), like how it works in the story instance.

And why do I have to use a "Jade Bot Workbench" station (that just opens the hero tab for the bot) when I want to change a module? I can change my Jade Bot Core without using a workbench and I can change all other settings  in the hero tab when I am out of combat.

Thats inconsistent and not fun.

• Like 6

On 3/3/2022 at 6:07 PM, Kikokuma.9405 said:

Why do I now need to stop by a workbench to change out modules on the Jade bot when literally nothing in GW2 ever has required you to do this before? (is this fun?)

It really seems like they decided being able to swap the buffs would be too OP for some reason, and added the workbench to try to restrict that. (Which is kinda sad since my response to most of the secondary modules was more like "meh.")

Note that the core itself (which just gives a +Vitality boost) is removable, presumably because they realized it would be super annoying to pop out the core at the workbench, run to a jeweler station to upgrade it, and then have to run back to the workbench to pop it back in.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

The batteries sitting all over the landscape just crack me up. What a garish hole they dug with that thing.

And they're almost completely superfluous once you have zipline mastery and you can just zip up and down a few times in one stop and then go buy like an hour of each buff at the offensive/defensive buff stations.

• Like 5

The batterie stuff make me sick honestly

I'm meh about the characters It lacks interest, I don't feel like I'm really in a new world. Rather in a kind of playground of a new school year where everyone is trying to be friends and forgive everything and anything

Their emotions are well transcribed, for a pattern, but they have all  a similar finality, a kind of Disney side that I totally despise.

It lacks credibility, toughness, a more coherent ( or real ) aspect in the social interactions, countries interactions. Something Where I am now I feel like I'm playing in a fanmade story that in isolation is "funny" but feels ridiculous when normalized to the rest of the universe and the issues we're supposed to encounter.

The impression of playing a safe-space game. I'm not an expert (far from it) in writing, but I can't help but feel that the writing loop is soft, too gentle, and totally out of sync with many of the elements presented in the main story as serious. 

In any case, in my language, I congratulate the dubbing actors, they really do a remarkable job, it is better and better year after year

Edited by muradyn.3875
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 1:45 AM, Redfeather.6401 said:

The batteries sitting all over the landscape just crack me up. What a garish hole they dug with that thing.

I wonder if they will import batteries to the rest of maps, or will bots just be useful in Cantha? 

There really should be a better way to charge them... 

Edited by Tukaram.8256
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1