Give it to me straight, should I buy EoD or skip? [Merged]

7 minutes ago, choon.6308 said:

Proof that "everywhere else other than these forums are enjoying this game" which is straight up false

Today. Yes, really. Every day topics like "omg anet EOD is the best thing evah" pop up,

I think you just answered your own question.

The sub reddit is generally positive with EoD. This is the same sub reddit that had a metldown with the launch of HoT and bringing up pitforks against anet in every single point in the least 7 years. This is the same subreddit that fell for PvP cheaters pretending they were banned for ARC and accusing the company of unfair bans. Multiple times.  

So yeah if the sub reddit is generally happy with EoD with its history then yeah it is a good indication that it is received well.

Edited by Turin.6921
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, Turin.6921 said:

I think you just answered your own question.

That's just reddit hun, the one place notorious for banning/removing critical posts :)

Still waiting for an answer, where is the "everywhere else other than these forums people are enjoying this game" coming from? I mean this is the offical place for discussion, it's a huge leap of faith to dismiss the actual real discussions as false and instead believe in a fantasy that "people are so happy in the game" even ignoring the in game map chats, squad chats, guild chats, LFG boycotts. If that's your idea of happy players then rip...

16 minutes ago, Turin.6921 said:

So yeah if the sub reddit is generally happy with EoD with its history then yeah it is a good indication that it is received well.

That is bound to happen when the mods are biased fanboys who work hard to remove any criticism and only leave the positive ones on display. Looks like you belong there and not here tbh, it would be a much better fit for you.

Edited by choon.6308
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Pvp or wvw main you can skip for now. Its really just especs. See how they turn out after some balancing. 

Pve, buy. Strikes as far as I have done them seem a big step in the right direction and a decent middle ground between old strikes and raids. I just hope they add more.  And ow and story is well ow and story. Its not as ground breaking as previous expansions but more than worth its money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, choon.6308 said:

Did you miss the memo with 4 beta tests and lots of livestreams revealing the disappointing maps and features? It doesn't take an experienced player more than 10 minutes to recognize low quality. We've tried to warn everybody months ago but those comments were buried/deleted by other comments like "They still have 6 months to develop, they still have 3 months, they still have 2 weeks, everything will be different you'll see!" In hindsight, all this without even knowing about the day one boon and survivability nerf and the empty maps, failing metas etc. made all of this that much funnier 🙂

Honestly, the few bits I've seen where through Mukluk's stream while I was playing PvP, and he speeds that kitten up because they talk too slowly, which I agree with.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

EoD is worth the purchase, story was imo among the better ones they put in GW2, some very nice cutscene work too. Elite Specs seem fine for the most part, maps and soundtrack are gorgeous, metas are fun (low on the reward side but that's been the case with every xpac launch, so they'll address them), strikes are good. Idk about PvP and WvW right now. Since you're not in a rush, wait a few weeks so Anet can iron out the kinks. Not a perfect xpac but it's pretty good.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

Honestly, I'd say don't be in a rush, but probably worth in the long run. I'm saying this assuming that the living world will offer more. As it is right now, the masteries are underwhelming for me and don't really bring any QoL features like gliding or mounts. Arguably the Jade bots offer utility because they boost vitality and offer extra bonus goods or currency if you want. I don't know how good the various modules for the bot are right now, but it's about the only tangible advantage the masteries give. The skiffs and fishing are fluff and their value is determined solely by the user.

The metas are not better or more rewarding than the others. The maps are beautiful, but feel empty. Think PoF - really nice and fun to see new scenery, but ultimately it's just same old same old. The events aren't super engaging or interesting IMO. The story is good and I like the characters, but you can experience that through videos if it's important to you.

So right now, if you're on the fence, there is no rush, you're not missing much. Living World content may change that for you and as far as I can tell you're not missing much by waiting until that content is available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Buy. 

Some things need improvements, but definitly buy. Story is really good and interesting. The maps are beautiful.

The new masteries give only a little more options in-game. Not big wow things. Unexpected, but being able to anchor skiffs and create a solid platform on water is actually really useful to launch from water with your skyscale.

Good meta events (after they are better balanced).

So yeah buy.

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Aside from the big Meta battle in the fourth map, everything about the Expansion is average to good. The final map is all about that fight but the Missions preparing for the Battle are actually pretty enjoyable, even if the payoff crud

The Story, well it had Anets trick of introducing some interesting characters only to kill them off 2 hours later. And I found some of the set piece fights kind of annoying. It's basically a rushed storyline designed to get you though the maps.

But the final mission of the single player story was an absolute blast, and I loved every single minute of it. Its well worth it for that mission alone.

The Maps are very pretty, and reward nosing around them. They have a very nice "hidden chests" mechanic that involves hopping from point to point to track them down, which is... fun. You know, that thing. There is a LOT of ambient dialouge to be heard as you wander about, and it adds to the story. And aside from the final map, the Map metas are pretty well constructed zerg rushes, and fun wastes of your time.

All in all I don;t regret spending money on it. If you are unsure just go for the basic. The extras for the deluxe edition are not really worth the money imo. I actually prefer the default skin of the Skiff to the skin you get with the deluxe edition, for example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

another reason you will want to get the expac is for the jade bot that can give your characters 2330 more health + 40% faster mount regen (for example) which is huge. that bot alone is a massive increase in power so not having it compared to others will leave you at a huge disadvantage. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Buy it for the Useful things it adds to the game. some of the maps are also pretty Fishing is fun with friends.

For the story or if you expecting fun story encounters your better off flushing your money down the Toilet.  some of the NPCs  Like Totally use Valley speak

My interest left as soon as they pulled that "go do hearts or Dynamic Events" Bull kitten that killed IBS for me I like to do Hearts on my own time.  i don't want to be side tract by the story to go grind on an objective for a while.

Biggest sin of all is just like HoT just before the Final fight your thrown into a Meta only map and have place some items as well as kill a few bad guys before you can start.   The sad part is Unlike the HoTs DS this maps is Pretty is located in a place that was a Key Mission of Guild Wars Factions and is worthy of exploring properly.  

As a Fan of this location in GW1 I want to explore this map but seance its a meta only map if you go in just to enjoy the map your taking a slot that could be used by someone who wants to do the meta so it feels like i cant enjoy the map and not be an evil selfish jerk. also some of the spots that were key Luxon towns in GW1 are gated off and only open during the meta  its a total Kick in the face to factions fans. Than again GW2 has a tendency to kick its classic fans in the teeth lately.

Edited by dusanyu.4057
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CoolRanchDoritos.5340 said:

I'm assuming PvP is unchanged, meta is probably some form of Necro/Rev still just like the past 3 years and WvW is probably on maintenance mode as usual.

I kinda liked the S4/PoF story, does this story even come close to that?

I saw the bots/turtle mount too but Skyscale is still gonna be top prio so idk if any of the EoD mechanics seem useful to me outside of a one time run through. 

atm the end map meta is just stupid in design , turtle is locked behind it till the update on the 15th.....and yeah......unsure about wvw and pvp as i usually just pve , but the meta as it currently is is FAR more of a pain than a raid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Buying the basic edition at least is a no-brainer. You get 4 beautiful maps, many new achievements and a ton more for 30 EUR/USD and if you keep playing End of Dragons is the platform where the free Living World episodes will build on. With no timely fee this is incredible value for money imo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, dusanyu.4057 said:

As a Fan of this location in GW1 I want to explore this map but seance its a meta only map if you go in just to enjoy the map your taking a slot that could be used by someone who wants to do the meta so it feels like i cant enjoy the map and not be an evil selfish jerk. also some of the spots that were key Luxon towns in GW1 are gated off and only open during the meta  its a total Kick in the face to factions fans. Than again GW2 has a tendency to kick its classic fans in the teeth lately.

That's not true. In the preparation phase you are not taking a slot for anything, and you can go anywhere on the map. Just becasue the waypoints are contested does not mean you cant go there on foot. I did map completion with 2 characters on that map yesterday and I didn't do the meta. You can even go to the top of the Harvest Temple without issue.

And if the meta is running the maps where the Meta is running are generally full, so you will be placed into a fresh map with the map in the Preparation phase. If the  pre-events to the Meta fails the map closes, and a new map spawns in the Prep phase no matter what time it is.

In short you shouldn't worry about the Meta if you just want to wander around.

• Confused 2

in my opinion skip while the maps are pretty they are plagued with more bugs then i ever remember any of gw2 releases launching with, toxic meta's shoe horned into achievements for masteries and just a very down right ugly expansion it legit makes me think they were trying to clap with their di=c-k in their hands while making it. like they had so much time to get this right even cut funding to IBS for this expansion and still it feel so bad none of the elite spec feel like their game changers either

if you really want something new their is better this else where that dont shoe horn you into unwanted stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Buy! EOD is best Guild Wars 2 expansion a probably best MMO 2022. When launch it was so smooth no lags ques like other games like wowcraft and lost ark. EOD expansion make gw2 player base massive increase for release probably 900k people online playing Gw2 at launch. 

So i say buy! If you want buy it twice or three times because for alts and mystic coin login reward!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

If you're the kind of player happy to endlessly explore all the nooks and crannys of open world maps - Buy it

If you like challenging content and coordinating group builds - Buy it

If you like standing around in hubs showing off fashion and you dig East Asia - Buy it

If you are a mid-range player who likes story and open world events - Skip

If you primarily like WvW - Skip

If you primarily like PvP - Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, CoolRanchDoritos.5340 said:

If people say it's not worth i'm not buying. 

How can anybody else know what you like?

I mean people praise crap like souls games and breaking bad and i can't stand any of that stuff.

For me this expansion is great i have lots of new stuff to do with new elite specs and lots of new open world to explore and as always i do like seeing where the story takes me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

If you're the kind of player happy to endlessly explore all the nooks and crannys of open world maps - Buy it

If you like challenging content and coordinating group builds - Buy it

If you like standing around in hubs showing off fashion and you dig East Asia - Buy it

If you are a mid-range player who likes story and open world events - Skip

If you primarily like WvW - Skip

If you primarily like PvP - Skip

Agree: except for:

If you are a mid-range player who likes story and open world events - Buy.
Story is great. New maps come with nice dynamic events. Only the meta of the last map is probably too hard for mid-range players.

Just my opinion.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

i would skip the purchase anet is leaning to make everything strike based or raid based they dont want there casual players to play anymore there elite players are more inportant to them, $20 to $70 can get you a great game out of eso, i would put my money in there and skip this garbage of a game called eod not worth your time or the headache.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Agree: except for:

If you are a mid-range player who likes story and open world events - Buy.
Story is great. New maps come with nice dynamic events. Only the meta of the last map is probably too hard for mid-range players.

Just my opinion.

That’s cool.

I felt like the story went really fast. Started off well, but then kinda took big leaps as if they were running out of time and needed to wrap it up.

I have difficulty consistently finding events in Seitung and Kaineng. It’s like they’re spaced too much, and when I do find them they’re almost over, or they chain into a group event and not enough player density to reliably do them.

DE has a lot of events, but they are prep for the fight that’s giving midrange players difficulty.

Echovald is the one zone so far that has that GW2 open world feel to me with events popping all around.

Add the general feel that ArenaNet wants to push the midrange players into instanced group content, and that’s what landed me on the skip recommendation.

It’s been less than two weeks. With a little more time in the zones and more bug fixes and tweaks, maybe I’ll change perspective.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2