Dear Anet: Condi gear prices are out of control

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that ANET can really do much about it. This is just how it is in the community. Condition damage is more often than not better than power in raids and fractal CMs. I expect this will also be the case in Strike CMs as well.

So the demand for the best condition damage gear is going to be high. 

If you want condi gear for cheap you can farm content customizable 80 exotics. I'm sure there are guides available online to help you achieve this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:46 AM, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

No.  I've never bought a full set of viper's exotic, because it's very obviously dumb to do that. I do have multiple full sets of viper's ascended.  But this is exactly the problem--if the game makes it totally insane for you not to skip a tier of gear because the cost is too high, something is wrong with the game.  For condi that's true, for power it's not.  And this only makes it harder, not easier, for people trying to gear a condi spec to get adequate gear, particularly in comparison to power (zerker).

I mean that's the point of gear tiers to begin with. You just go with whatever gives enough utility until you replace it.  And what's wrong with just using a cheap power set to go past it? Not to mention we already discussed options above for gearing cheaply with condi gear. If you specifically want to min-max a specific condi build, and refuse to play anything else,  that's on you.

To me that's just like complaining about people skipping over level 70 gear or being unable to play condi because power is before reaching level 80.

The only thing insane here is thinking you need to have 50g for exotic gear.

Oh btw, if you really insist on spending:

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-85497;1-85463;1-85449;1-85407;1-85420;1-85519

Plus 18g for the recipes.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention. Ascended gear itself has become a lot cheaper over the years too, which is why the gap between the two has shrunk so much. The same thing can be seen with the bottom tier exotics and rare gear as well. So this perceived skipping is just ascended gear becoming more affordable over the course of 9 years. So naturally newer players will pass over exotics much more quickly.

This conversation just doesn't really have any meaning in 2022.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, HonesltlyX.7164 said:

I don't think that ANET can really do much about it. This is just how it is in the community. Condition damage is more often than not better than power in raids and fractal CMs. I expect this will also be the case in Strike CMs as well.

So the demand for the best condition damage gear is going to be high. 

If you want condi gear for cheap you can farm content customizable 80 exotics. I'm sure there are guides available online to help you achieve this.

I love how you say condi damage is better in raids, fractals, and I'll add open world too...  but then say A-net can't do anything about it.

Hello, yes they can.  They can balance condi specs, making Power more appealing.  Prices still wouldn't be equal but the condi gear prices wouldn't be as outrageous.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

I love how you say condi damage is better in raids, fractals, and I'll add open world too...  but then say A-net can't do anything about it.

Hello, yes they can.  They can balance condi specs, making Power more appealing.  Prices still wouldn't be equal but the condi gear prices wouldn't be as outrageous.  

I think you are misunderstanding what I said in my first sentence. When I said, they can't do anything about it. I meant they can't do anything about the pricing in Trading Post.

Balancing damage builds around Trading Post prices is a dumb idea.

Edited by HonesltlyX.7164
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, HonesltlyX.7164 said:

I think you are miss understanding what I said in my first sentence. When I said, they can't do anything about it. I meant they can't do anything about the pricing in Trading Post.

Balancing damage builds around Trading Post prices is a dumb idea.

I didn't say balance them around trading post prices...   I just said balance them.  Condi builds are straight up better than power in most game modes.  So prices are going to be higher on items players need to run the best builds.  

The root problem is still that power gear is accessible from the base game for super cheap and bis condi stuff is from later content, but I bet prices would come down some if condi builds weren't so dominant everywhere.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

I didn't say balance them around trading post prices...   I just said balance them.  Condi builds are straight up better than power in most game modes.  So prices are going to be higher on items players need to run the best builds.  

The root problem is still that power gear is accessible from the base game for super cheap and bis condi stuff is from later content, but I bet prices would come down some if condi builds weren't so dominant everywhere.  

I agree, the root problem is that there isn't a Viper Set or comparable condi + expertise set in the base game that is readily accessible. Which would be solved if they just added it to the customizable gears in the base game. At the same time, if the OP is trying to raid he would need HoT at the very least to access raid content anyways.

I would like to note that power builds do have a place. Open-world and fractals (not the CMs) favor power-builds because they can clear adds so quickly and the boss just dies. You can still hit 30k in a good power builds and meet the damage checks for groups. There are still power builds benchmarking at around 38k. The damage types are shining in different situations.

Open-world bosses don't care for what build you have so long as it is decent dps and has survivability.

• Haha 1

A stat/rune/sigil is meta for so many classes/builds? Price goes up.

It's always been like this. Don't you remember the 30g sigils of concentration during double chrono/druid meta?

So many ways in this game to get stat selectable gear, or farm the mats you need to make it/runes/sigils, just live with it and/or use a cheaper alternative in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 3/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

As it happens I'm gearing a specter. 😄 And yes you can get stat-selectable gear and nightmare runes but you have to farm it, you can't just buy it.  For some of those specs tormenting runes is a fine alternative, aside from the outrageous price.  The point is no matter how you slice it, the "barrier to entry" is much higher for high-end condi DPS specs than for power.  And it's not like *in general* they are all that much better--in some circumstances and against certain bosses power is even preferable.  Except of course on elite specs that don't have a competitive power option.

Just a heads up go celestial. I went the build you are thinking and found celestial to be better, slight dps loss but huge survival gain.. i luckily had a set torment runes in my bank..

Celestial is still hugely expensive.

• Like 1

I agree op, i just returned after 6-12months and cannot believe how much the economy has escalated.. If it gets much worse new customers are screwed. How to price out new people or force them to buy gems for gold..

I think this is my last mmorpg.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:22 AM, Debesyla.7102 said:

Dunno why are y'all so sad, just use stat selectable gear like the one you get for playing WvW or open world metas like Verdant Brink 😬

Funny thing is: People don't really do the VB meta nowadays. And when it's done it often fails so you aren't guaranteed exotics.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

That's about 57 gold, the IBS vendors offer you a full set of ascended armor for 47 gold + some currency you can get from beating up the DPS golem.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

Funny thing is: People don't really do the VB meta nowadays. And when it's done it often fails so you aren't guaranteed exotics.

Yeah, IME most people go for matriarch and maybe one or two other bosses if time allows, and piddle around during the defend phases. Of the times I've seen t4 happen since I came back to the game, I'm not sure a single one was pug. There's a guild I've seen that does t4 runs on a somewhat regular basis, but other than that, idk.

And in general, idk where anyone gets the idea that getting a full set of stat swappable gear is easy. Maybe if you already know where to get all the pieces and have extra currency stockpiled. When I did it for a celestial set, I was poring over the wiki on some pieces, trying to find an option for me that wouldn't be a huge pain. As it is, I did the trinkets with saved up laurels, bought some ascended ones. Something new players won't have. Also also, I'd say VB only becomes easier (but still not easy) to get airship parts for pieces once you have masteries and the best mounts and a stockpile of crowbars and a character with a solid build and gear so you can pull your weight on events even if there's only 1-2 other people doing it (real catch-22 on that last one). And a new player will have none of these facing down the prospect of grinding out 2,500 airship parts for the non-coat pieces on a character that isn't geared how they are wanting it to be geared yet.

This catch-22 in general of "the best way to get the gear is to already be geared how you wanted to be" is prob my biggest issue with GW2's gearing right now and when the main alternative is gold (aka: pull out the wallet) well that's just. 😑

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

That's about 57 gold, the IBS vendors offer you a full set of ascended armor for 47 gold + some currency you can get from beating up the DPS golem.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that since I rarely did that content. Guess there isn't an issue anymore.

How long does it take to get the currency?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

How long does it take to get the currency?

From zero on average if one only does the easy ones 13 weeks, one can also cut it down to 9 with the "return to" achievements. But everyone who continuously farmed the IBS strikes for gold should be swimming in it rn.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

From zero on average if one only does the easy ones 13 weeks, one can also cut it down to 9 with the "return to" achievements. But everyone who continuously farmed the IBS strikes for gold should be swimming in it rn.

I feel like OP would attach a value to the 13 weeks in terms of cost but then again the strikes would also reward quite a bit.

And then again you aren't spending too much time on the Strikes themselves anyways, so it's not too bad.

Still good to know, even if I don't need armor anymore.

• Confused 1

On 3/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Runes of tormenting are currently selling for over 14g each, which by themselves is more expensive than the entire power kit by almost a factor of two.  

Well, let's examine the crafting of Superior Runes of Tormenting and the cost of the mats on the TP:

• 12 Piles of Lucent Crystal - approx. 16s
  • 1 Charm of Potence - approx. 1g
  • 5 Globs of Ectoplam - approx. 1g
  • 250 Watchwork Spockets - approx. 8g

That's a total of 10g 16s to make one Superior Rune of Tormenting. Now, do you think the people who are crafting and selling these should either take a loss or barely break even?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, HonesltlyX.7164 said:

How is this NOT Anets fault/something they can do? They are the ones that made/balanced 90% of the builds that can apply important boons are better Condi. They could either make Power more viable for PUGS or adjust drop-rates.

This is nothing anet should change. The economy is based on what the players do and buy. And to the fact: Condi meta is still going on. The only way to tune down condi gear prices would be to nerf Condition classes, making people buy more Power gear ,which will rise up into the sky again. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

I agree op, i just returned after 6-12months and cannot believe how much the economy has escalated.. If it gets much worse new customers are screwed. How to price out new people or force them to buy gems for gold..

I think this is my last mmorpg.

Weird take ... the game just released an expansion. It's probably the most active time for people to be interacting with the TP. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

This is nothing anet should change. The economy is based on what the players do and buy. And to the fact: Condi meta is still going on. The only way to tune down condi gear prices would be to nerf Condition classes, making people buy more Power gear ,which will rise up into the sky again. 

3 hours ago, TheSeraphim.7413 said:

How is this NOT Anets fault/something they can do? They are the ones that made/balanced 90% of the builds that can apply important boons are better Condi. They could either make Power more viable for PUGS or adjust drop-rates.

@TheSeraphim.7413 I'm quoting Virdo to help you understand how trading post works and why balancing classes won't solve the trading post issue. If you nerf one build another will shine and prices will once again rise for the gear set of the most popular builds for pugs.

ANET could manually set lower prices, but it's just gonna shoot up again. It's called supply and demand. It's economics 101.

If the OP wants to raid he needs the expansions anyhow in order access the content. The expansions has solo content that will reward you with customizable exotics.

The issue here is people don't want to take the time to farm their own exotics and cry when TP prices are too high. It's not difficult to farm through story and it takes less than a month to a full set.

Lastly, I think many people know condi is best for most raids and fractal CMs, but many people don't understand why they are the best. There is a lot more than just damage, it's the nature of the boss fights themselves.

Power builds are still doing well. I'm running power banner slave and I do just fine with my damage. You can go on snowcrows and see that there are benchmarks for power builds at around 32-37k.

The difference between Condi and power is that power is favored for phases that need the burst damage. That's it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/30/2022 at 7:09 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

Still trying to figure out why this price differential is a problem. 

I'm surprised. You're generally able to see problems where there are none.  One of them here is being able to get exotic tier gear that's cheaper than the ascended variants and get into endgame instanced content on a build that fits the role the player wants to play.

• Thanks 1