More of Cantha coming...

Ashantara.8731

I knew it! How wonderful. 🙂

I vote for a Kaineng undercity, as dark and mysterious as in GW1 (and tech-free), or any other dungeon-like location with an enigmatic story attached to it. Perhaps something mythological with a connection to the celestials?

What would you guys like to see in the future content that was announced? Speculate away!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I'm really curious about Raisu Palace.  You hear a lot of NPC chatter about what's going on there.  Also, the whole western part of Shing Jea has yet to be uncovered, including Minister Cho's Estate.  A 'Forging Steel' type mission might be fun there to discover what nefarious things are going on.

And, I agree, I like your idea for Undercity!

• Like 8

I responded to someone on the subreddit that was saying Dragon's End was too barren and somber.

Considering the point of the map it makes sense, so I would like to see more Jade Sea maps, particularly maps that have more archipelagos with rolling verdant hills, sort of like the top right corner of Dragon's End. More things visible and frozen in jade and an atmosphere that perhaps isn't so depressing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

More so than any particular locations, I just want them to address one of my pet peeves: have the LW zones connect to the wider world. It kinda bugs me just how many zones can only be traveled to via fast travel, especially when the zone is actually adjacent to another zone, just without an actual zone line connecting them.

So yeah, connect the LW zones to existing zones. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just thought I'd highlight, for those interested, that there are a few newly named places on the Canthan continent map, namely the following not-yet explorable areas have been officially named: "Drowned Kaineng" (just north of NKC), Great Turtle Highlands (north east of DE), and "Kirin Peak" (South east of Echovald Forest)!

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Alek Seven.2374 said:

There's even Wona's mansion in Kirin's Peak

I wonder if it's more defined cuz Anet used the assets from GW or we are indeed going there at some point.
It would be an interesting location to revisit, maybe a raid wing? I'd be perfectly fine with fighting some of the ghosts of the villains of that story or even see a GW2 version of that mission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, SandraSolace.7682 said:

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!

More of cantha, I know, I know I want you, I want you, want you!

*chimes in*

I'm so excited
And I just can't hide it
We're going back to Cantha soon
And I think I like it

(Thanks, now I can't get that catchy song out of my head!)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:37 PM, Randin.5701 said:

More so than any particular locations, I just want them to address one of my pet peeves: have the LW zones connect to the wider world. It kinda bugs me just how many zones can only be traveled to via fast travel, especially when the zone is actually adjacent to another zone, just without an actual zone line connecting them.

So yeah, connect the LW zones to existing zones. 

Agreed 100%.  I mean, if the map isn't actually close to any others then not much they can do, sure.  But when it CAN be connected, I think anet severely underestimates how much that means to us.  It adds SO much in terms of immersion and convenience in map complete when you can walk from one to the next.  Living world maps like Lake Doric, Bitterfrost Frontier, Jahai Bluffs, and Domain of Kourna have a special place in my heart just because of this alone

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Somewhere unique and different. The best maps for me are like Draconis Mons and Sandswept where they went and did something new and didn’t rely on nostalgia and then stacked it full of varied content. 

I want to see somewhere and something completely new and left field - Cantha is big enough that such areas should exist.

• Like 2

Maps / exploration are the strongest point of Anet, and some kind underrated. Notice, that when they always announce something new, ppl get into expectation on how's new maps would be.

I love hows they maintain some granularity, variation and uniqness. for Geography nerds like me, The Gw2 universe is a luxury.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’d like a large, open Jade Sea map that isn’t a void crisis meta-dominated zone.

There should be enough stretches of open jade frozen sea that we can go zooming across them in roller beetles launching over the solid waves.

There can be islands and archipelagos amidst the jade where adventure awaits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 6:40 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

Somewhere unique and different. The best maps for me are like Draconis Mons and Sandswept where they went and did something new and didn’t rely on nostalgia and then stacked it full of varied content. 

I want to see somewhere and something completely new and left field - Cantha is big enough that such areas should exist.

I agree, but they've already gone down this nostalgia hole, so I can't see them not continuing to do so.

In terms of new Canthan real estate on the world map, I'm voting for Drowned Kaineng. You do hear the NPCs mention Raisu here and there, and I found it intriguing.

Rather than just more Cantha, I firmly believe ANet needs to revisit much of what we have. The most egregious example is New Kaineng, the absolute worst of ANet's city designs. I will grudgingly accept the incredibly stupid restrictions on getting around the city, since it's probably quite a bit of work to change that to a more sensible pattern that matches the idea that Cantha is modernizing. What is unforgiveable is the slapdash re-use of assets with no attempt to make it look varied, the supposedly overcrowded cyberpunk city dominated by empty squares, one pub in the entire city, and... it's just the worst.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

In terms of new Canthan real estate on the world map, I'm voting for Drowned Kaineng. You do hear the NPCs mention Raisu here and there, and I found it intriguing.

Rather than just more Cantha, I firmly believe ANet needs to revisit much of what we have. The most egregious example is New Kaineng, the absolute worst of ANet's city designs. I will grudgingly accept the incredibly stupid restrictions on getting around the city, since it's probably quite a bit of work to change that to a more sensible pattern that matches the idea that Cantha is modernizing. What is unforgiveable is the slapdash re-use of assets with no attempt to make it look varied, the supposedly overcrowded cyberpunk city dominated by empty squares, one pub in the entire city, and... it's just the worst.

im not sure if this is what you mean or not but I would LOVE another map that’s modern cityscape jade tech stuff.  There’s a perfect area on the map too, you know down by the guild hall the mainland near that? Not far from Kirin peak.  You can tell from the map art it’s totally more city, and you know what else? It’s behind Shing Jea which wasn’t destroyed so it definitely wasn’t hit by the tidal wave.  So it would be a wholly unique map from the rest of Cantha, a mix of the old city built upon and upgraded messily over time instead of a brand new city from scratch like new Kaineng or ruins like the old.  It would be a combo of both!

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

im not sure if this is what you mean or not but I would LOVE another map that’s modern cityscape jade tech stuff.  There’s a perfect area on the map too, you know down by the guild hall the mainland near that? Not far from Kirin peak.  You can tell from the map art it’s totally more city, and you know what else? It’s behind Shing Jea which wasn’t destroyed so it definitely wasn’t hit by the tidal wave.  So it would be a wholly unique map from the rest of Cantha, a mix of the old city built upon and upgraded messily over time instead of a brand new city from scratch like new Kaineng or ruins like the old.  It would be a combo of both!

Not really. I'd only like a new city if there was no way to improve New Kaineng. Just a few openable doors, a few more assets in the open squares that come closer to the vibes in the loading screen art, etc.

New Kaineng's overall look or theme/aestehtic isn't what bothers me. It's just the lifeless way it's executed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Not really. I'd only like a new city if there was no way to improve New Kaineng. Just a few openable doors, a few more assets in the open squares that come closer to the vibes in the loading screen art, etc.

New Kaineng's overall look or theme/aestehtic isn't what bothers me. It's just the lifeless way it's executed.

I mean I figure a new map would inherently bring numerous new opportunities to make a New Kaineng vibe map but with stuff you mentioned lore more interior spaces higher npc density etc.  I guess I didn't realize you meant they need to edit the current map because I find that extremely unlikely.  They don't really do major reworks to maps in that way

46 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

They don't really do major reworks to maps in that way

Yep, there is literally zero precedent for it. The one major city rework they did was... Lion's Arch. Not exactly what I'm looking for lol.

But yeah, this is about what I want and believe ANet should do, not what is likely. Realistically a different town (probably not a full scale city) that lives up to the promise of the crowded metropolis theme is the best we could hope for. Even that's a stretch, but infinitely more likely than a New Kaineng update.

• Like 1