Why I'm most excited for Steam

The infusion of new players into the GW2 community aside, I'm most excited to be able to play GW2 with a controller. With posts from players attempting this years back, and the recent influx of YouTube videos (search "guild wars 2 steam deck") I can only assume anecdotally that I'm not the only one. If a goal of the steam launch is to tap into a previously unreached audiance, I hope they'll keep action cam and controller support in mind, for console players, as an accessibility option to others, or for players like me who have no excuse other than because I simply want to recline and chill on GW2 on a controller on some nights but switch back to pushing high DPS, hard rotations, and clearing hard end game content on the desktop on other nights. If I were to do that now, I would have to manually remap every action and switch every keybind between a controller and keyboard every time I swapped between controller and mouse/keyboard. At the very least, a "keybinds template" would significantly reduce the effort required for players to freely switch between playing on keyboard/mouse or controller

• Like 6
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You are excited to start an account from scratch?  Personally, I would not want to give up all that I have acquired these past 10 years.  🤷‍♀️

I am afraid of this too, I do think Anet needs to restate that bit about existing accounts will not have access or update the community that they can port toons from one platform to another. I agree with the OP's statement about Steam's controller apps do have a lot of options and would allow for most if not all functions to be mapped to a controller, but would worry that enthusiasm turns to irritation when people find out they have to abandon their account's progress to gain access to Steam tools.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You can run GW2 on Steam and a controller right now using the current client. The issue is that the input for GW2 movement is limited to 8 directions and 2 speeds on stick controls and you'll need to use certain buttons as modifier keys as a way to map +15 abilities and +9 mounts.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I tried using steam once...  it was so confusing and slower than just running the game normally...

I honestly have no idea why people use steam or what the point is.  Stadia is like steam right, just newer?   I really don't get it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

29 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

I tried using steam once...  it was so confusing and slower than just running the game normally...

I honestly have no idea why people use steam or what the point is.  Stadia is like steam right, just newer?   I really don't get it.

Stadia is a streaming platform, where you buy games to stream to your home over the internet. It uses Google's hardware to render those graphics and then stream them to you, allowing you to play games on devices too weak to render games, at the cost of a subscription fee. Steam is a digital storefront, game launcher, and social platform. It uses your own hardware. Where Steam allows you to download games and play them offline, Stadia requires an internet connection and offers no real guarantee that you'll be able to play their games if their service shuts down.

17 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Does GW2 going into Steam has some direct benefit on us non-new players?

I'd say that it does offer a second-wind to the player population.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Sad 1

I did play for a while with a controller, but the experience was suboptimal.

However, the little bit that worked worked great. Access to all the key binds was so natural. I did have to rewire my brain for the key modifiers though (i.e. A does something, R1 + A, something else). I wanted just a few small set of buttons to press.

Targeting was the hardest.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

I'd say that it does offer a second-wind to the player population.

Yeah I know that and is a welcome move from Anet, but I'm asking if there is some direct benefit on us like Steam achievements for our current accounts or something like that.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Does GW2 going into Steam has some direct benefit on us non-new players?

If they manage to allow us to link our existing accounts with Steam, it might open up more payment methods for gems (by paying via Steam).

This is something that I'd very much appreciate, as Steam offers better payment methods for my country than what ArenaNet offers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

Stadia is like steam right, just newer?   I really don't get it.

yep, you really don't get it. 

People use steam for multiple reasons: To have all games easily accessible without having to download a dozen launchers, to keep all their games in one place, some like to play for the achievements, to easily play together with friends, etc.

Stadia is just a bad example of "Netflix, but for games" where you have to pay the sub, and than buy the games 

Edited by Sarius.9285
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

yep, you really don't get it. 

People use steam for multiple reasons: To have all games easily accessible without having to download a dozen launchers, to keep all their games in one place, some like to play for the achievements, to easily play together with friends, etc.

Stadia is just a bad example of "Netflix, but for games" where you have to pay the sub, and than buy the games 

Everything you just said, you can do without steam.  So yeah...   like people use steam because they don't want multiple game shortcuts on their desktop?  

• Confused 5

I run GW2 through Steam anyway - just add it as a non-steam game (and you get access to the steam overlay, chats, friends, screen-share, screenshot & share, etc.,.

Definitely think the burst of new players will be good for the game - more active accounts, more money for ANet: it should mean only good things for the game!

Edited by dace.8019
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You are excited to start an account from scratch?  Personally, I would not want to give up all that I have acquired these past 10 years.  🤷‍♀️

Hey, we agree for once! 😄

On 3/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, Wonderly.1324 said:

Why I'm most excited for Steam

Why I am not excited is the Steam clientele. Those people are even more toxic than some of the new players that came flooding in after GW2 went f2p and after the WoW exodus. I've stopped paying attention to the nationalist, sexist (and other sexual references) nonsense one sometimes has to endure in map chat these days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

On 3/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, Quench.7091 said:

You can run GW2 on Steam and a controller right now using the current client. The issue is that the input for GW2 movement is limited to 8 directions and 2 speeds on stick controls and you'll need to use certain buttons as modifier keys as a way to map +15 abilities and +9 mounts.

How are you running it now? If its not released yet? Maybe I am missing something. I hear you about the number of keys to link but considering the options the steam controller setting have.....could be interesting. 

10 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

How are you running it now? If its not released yet? Maybe I am missing something. I hear you about the number of keys to link but considering the options the steam controller setting have.....could be interesting. 

You can add non-Steam games to Steam by pressing the "Add a Game" button in the lower left corner. After adding the .exe you wanted to your Steam library, you then need to set up the controller settings you need, if you are using a specific controller. Steam -> Settings -> Controller -> General Controller Settings. While you have a controller detected by Steam, you may then go to your game in your library and click on the "Controller Configuration" button below the play button.

• Like 2