Player housing poll

How would you like player housing to work?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What type of housing would you like in GW2?

• Adding extra features to the existing home instances
    • Adding extra features to the home instances AND a building or space which officially belongs to my character/s
    • More home instances to choose in different locations around the world
    • Placeable houses in a shared map (or multiple maps) seperate from the rest of the world
    • Placable houses in the existing maps
    • Private spaces for each guild member in guild halls
    • A tempoary/portable home like a tent or airship
    • Any of the above
    • I would prefer a different housing system (explain in a comment)
    • I do not want housing and/or I'm fine with the current home instances with no additional features
  2. 2. Which of these features do you want/expect player housing to have in GW2?

• Gathering nodes like home instances
    • Town services (bank, TP, merchant, crafting stations etc.)
    • A way to show off my achievements, collected skins, mini pets etc.
    • Placable furniture and decorations
    • NPCs come to live there (either like the story NPCs in home instances or ones you choose and place)
    • "Houses" which do not look like a house - e.g. cave, ship, bare ground, forest etc.
    • Furnishings which allow you to build a house - placable walls, doors, floors, stairs etc.
    • A resting buff like Arborstone (or a different type of buff for going home - explain below)
    • The option to invite other players in my party or squad to visit my house
    • The option to make my house public so everyone can come in even if I'm offline
    • The option to keep my house entirely private so no one else can come in
    • Extra item storage, seperate from the bank and inventory
    • The ability to expand the size of the instance over time (adding more rooms or more land to build on or whatever)
    • Other
  3. 3. Would you like houses to be character-specific?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't mind either way

Something like what they have in swords of Legends online would be nice, like a buildable area we can increase in size with fully customizable and buildable from scratch or templates we can create, share or use. I love the housing system in solo, and already people are showing they creativity in guild halls, please anet give us this but in our own homes!! - ps don't make it as annoying or as expensive as guild hall decorations.

• Like 3

Honestly, at this point the biggest quality of life thing I want out of Anet in my home instance is a library.  Specifically, I want a place that I can store all of those completed books that are in my bank just taking up space.  At this point I'm about to trash all of them as they serve no real purpose.  They obviously have the technology to offer this in game, so at this point I'm feeling like the decision to not roll it out to players is based in either greed (forcing people to buy bank slots/bag slots/character slots) or malice.

Seriously.  Why do we not have a completed book storage in our home instance? And no, it shouldn't be a gemstore purchasable item.  It just needs to be implemented into the game already.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:28 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

It's not housing because it's not a house, it doesn't even contain a house. It was never called housing by anyone at Anet. You can't call a fish a bird, but it's still just a fish, even a flying fish is just a fish.

If you're a human, can you tell me where you live in that neighborhood? Which house is actually yours? Can you furnish this house?  Can you move anything around at your discretion? 

It doesn't fit the definition of housing even in the loosest sense of the word.  You can repeat it, but it's still not correct.

I think the true player home is that unoccupied sleeping bag in that alleyway in Salma District, next to that one skritt gang. It would explain our behavior of breaking into our neighbors' property to grab stuff around the zone.

Here's some dialogue from the Old Man inside of the home where the treasure chest node spawns:

• Old Man: "Excuse me, what are you doing in my home?"
  • Commander: "Looking for treasure?"
  • Old Man: "Heh. That's a good one. You are joking, right?
  • Commander: "As far as you know...hah! Well, I must be off."
  • Haha 3

They could just rework an old personal home instances into a player housing instances like add more customisation settings into it or add more QoL stuff in there or even add more maps so you could choose the housing  enviroment you like the most.. and it seems its not just a few people who want player housing so maybe anet should consider doing this. + We all know they could add even more stuff to the gem store by doing this so it would benefit them aswell since the gem store is the main income source for anet. 

• Like 4

Yea, I always wanted this, why can't they do the same for players in Guild Wars 2? I played Wildstar before, and was quite content how they handled the home instance with your own gathering nodes, and furnishing, you can even place whatever activities you like, or gathering ground for specific NPCs to suit your style taste.

Rip Wildstar btw, it died at 2017.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Don't really see the point myself, and as many others point it, to develop it meaningfully would take resources away from other, more important game developments such as living world and balancing.

Home instance is fine for me, although the ability to reposition nodes would be nice.

If I really want to play house, I go play The Sims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/12/2022 at 7:07 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Because the forum's poll system is very limited and does not allow the option to skip a question.

So add a question/response that clearly negates that. Easy to do if one wanted a fair poll instead of one that is clearly biased. Having a box called 'other' really does cut it.

Edited by Blude.6812

WIldstar had my favorite MMO housing system (RIP). The rest of the game was pretty dull so I pretty much exclusively spent all my time in-game building stuff and exploring other peoples' plots and chatting with people. XD Stuff like that really makes an MMO and it's community more lively and fun to me. 

They had a massive amount of instanced space and a high limit on placing things. Some of the structures that let you play mini-games, which I think would suit GW2. It had a lot of freedom with placing things and allowed resizing; which is something still not offered in another MMO for all I know. They had a cool neighborhood idea of connecting multiple instances between friends into a bigger one, I believe, but I think the game died before finishing it, idk.

GW2 doesn't really need to go too crazy, just give us an empty instance in a main town of our choice to replace home instances that we can place stuff in; the same way we can Guild Halls, and add more placeable house-like structures along with all the other guild hall stuff. Let people organize their gathering nodes themselves, along with other home instance unlocks. Let friends visit them~ 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, Rukasu.3097 said:

Fishing, housing. What the kitten is this? You want to change this game to Afk Wars 2?

It's already been afk wars 2 with all the minion necros and turret engi's i see farming everywhere. 😄  mine as well add housing to improve it! Less cost then guild hall decoraitng & more players actually able to decorate if they want! no permissions needed!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If ... then one per account. (Too much for every char a separate one.) Airship sounds nice - as something that connects easier to other areas (less wp cost and dropping down by parachute when selecting an area from the map).

But probably too hard to design this - gameplay-wise. And I guess most people would like to "place" stuff. Like with the guild hall (decorations) but a house instead where you also could use walls and other stuff.

Separate instance like this would be nice. Working like a guild hall but with a smaller area and being able to fully build a house and not only "decorations".

No need for services (trading post, bank and stuff) - this woul devalue the other areas and I think they aven limited other areas so only lounges can have everything in once place. (To encourage players to buy lounge passes.)

Most I can see happen is a generic merchanc and anvil + bank. (Not the trading post npc. I think guild halls also do not have that one.) And maybe the nodes ... so you can make a garden. (Well at least the plant nodes and the garden plot.)

Unlocking stuff probably would be the main fun - while the guild halls are costly (not meant to be fully upgraded by 1-man-guild even though some players are doing it) ... the housing should be a bit cheaper and have achievements to unlock certain stuff. Carpenter crafting and npc you need to visit to learn certain styles or something like that.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

ESO modified Method:

I think instanced housing like what is in game now would work with a more fleshed out/ revamped concept.

Having the option to add more homes to decorate if the player wants at the cost of being a gold sink would be welcome assuming the size, variety and cost would be something similar to small = apartment/ cheap-10g, medium = small home/cottage/small yard 35g or less, large = big home and roomy yard space / 75g or less, and then mansion = extra large 1/4-1/3 the size of IoR guild hall (sort of a mini guild hall or the size of lounges but taller, (idk the size of lounges personally yet but I image it's something like this) but these mansions would be special designs only available for gems in the gem store (every month or quarter a new design might be released in the gem store) and they could be the same cost as lounge passes 1,000 gems.  Obviously yard space is dependent on the design of the home whatever the devs want to do. Some can have yards,  some might not. Even some "homes" might just be empty lots with lots of flat areas to build on and a variety of flora. (i only say flat now since we can't rotate objects on the x-y-z axis. If this changes things may not have to be so flat.)

So a variety of different sizes is one good option to add. Another would be race themed housing. 5 races times 3 different sizes = 15 new homes players can choose from to start. Sounds like a revamp/ end game content to me. Asura, Slyvari, Norn, Human, Charr themed housing. Mansions can be pulled from lore or choose buildings already in game or add new places. The Airship concept seems like a good idea probably including some extra space around it or just air around it to build in. push them invisible walls out! 😄  Mansions really seem like a good idea to mix lounge passes with decorating, best of both worlds. While if that doesn't work for anet, still having a larger space to decorate (assuming most decorations are less expensive for the solo player) would still be a good idea more  around 300gems unless other conveniences were added?

Also important is having the option to make your house private or guild or public. Private so only you can view your house, Guild so your friends list and guild members can view your home even if you are offline, Public so anyone can view your home when you are offline. Homes should also have the option to be locked so no one can move anything. visitor, so people visiting can interact with interactable objects for instance: gramaphone, turn lights on / off, read signs, to name a fewunlocked: allow anyone to move things. (i know, i know why would you want this to happen? I can see times where guild activites might happen in a players house where this could be of benefit.)

The important first step here is adding decorating to instances but the real importance is revamping scribbing for solo player housing (even calling it something else) and adding a variety of homes you can acquire with gold and or gems. Improving systems adding an undo/redo button, rotating decorations on the X-Y-Z axis, and making other improvements.

If you want to borrow from ESO (more)🙂 there is even the idea of furnishing recipes to learn how to craft decorations that drop as loot ingame. People that don't want homes can then sell these for gold. So everyone can benefit from this new content.

ESO guild /community decorating (example) : https://spicyeconomics.com/gallery/

ESO housing information: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Player+Housing

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

ArcheAge was another housing concept I've played before. Here you had blueprints to build a variety of homes. Material dump basically. You would build the foundation with various stone ore and then the house wood, clay w/e it was made out of. You also had some space around your home for a garden where you could plant things. There was also an underwater sea garden added later away from the house, basically farm plots under the sea. It was an open world home so it had weekly taxes. If you didn't pay them your house would be demolished by the game and all the materials and decs in your house would be sent to you via ingame mail.
I'm not fond of the open world idea since i think that's not possible, but constructing homes from blueprints might be interesting. but not if its a massive gold sink like guild hall further exploration upgrades. no just no! So, i prefer the ESO method listed above.

I'm not fond of what GW2 has done thus far with garden plots and guild scribbing, so I hope a solo player housing system would be different from both of these.

https://archeage.fandom.com/wiki/Houses

p.s. Don't do taxes if its not an open world system.

Don't force players to buy something from the gem store in order to  have multiple/ homes ingame. These are bad ideas.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:00 AM, Mungrul.9358 said:

Don't really see the point myself, and as many others point it, to develop it meaningfully would take resources away from other, more important game developments such as living world and balancing.

Home instance is fine for me, although the ability to reposition nodes would be nice.

If I really want to play house, I go play The Sims.

So you admit that currently its not possible to play house in this game. Interesting.

For anet rather then having part of their player base leave gw2 to go play another game that has a housing system, it might be something to consider adding to this game.

Developing anything is part of the game. Resources will be used regardless that's how games evolve. Mine as well put some of those resources into something more then half of this polls player base wants. I mean do you remember all the hate fishing got, yet that's part of the game now? Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. I mean we finally got chairs! We can actually sit it them now, heh. I'm sure something similar to these 2 will be done in anets way with housing if they go down that road. Hopefully its more polished then scribbing was and they'll look over all the comments for improvements to be made with scribbing before releasing a modified new system for solo player housing.

I've always wanted an apartment on that outer ring in Divinities Reach or even one of the doors to any of the homes there to become interactable so I can have my own house to decorate! A little garden outside would be a bonus!!! (i know, i know garden plots will remain a thing but i can wish for stuff can't i?)

There are many places ingame where all they have to do is modify the door to become an interactable fractals like door for your own instanced house and BAM! A Housing system is on its way! 😄

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, soul.9651 said:

They could just rework an old personal home instances into a player housing instances like add more customisation settings into it or add more QoL stuff in there or even add more maps so you could choose the housing  enviroment you like the most.. and it seems its not just a few people who want player housing so maybe anet should consider doing this. + We all know they could add even more stuff to the gem store by doing this so it would benefit them aswell since the gem store is the main income source for anet. 

I agree this is mostly likely what will happen. But i'd still like anet to consider having multiple different race themed homes separate from the current 5 personal instances. With these new "homes" some could be actual homes like doors in Divinites Reach, while others could be open yards to build our own homes in with decorations. (not everyone wants to build a house, creative cats can come up with some really cool things!) New decorations could be added that are floors, doors walls, roofs, etc. Allow the players to rotate on the x-y-z axis, undo/redo buttons added to the UI, more options for settings in a custom UI for housing.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 1:04 AM, PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

Honestly, at this point the biggest quality of life thing I want out of Anet in my home instance is a library.  Specifically, I want a place that I can store all of those completed books that are in my bank just taking up space.  At this point I'm about to trash all of them as they serve no real purpose.  They obviously have the technology to offer this in game, so at this point I'm feeling like the decision to not roll it out to players is based in either greed (forcing people to buy bank slots/bag slots/character slots) or malice.

Seriously.  Why do we not have a completed book storage in our home instance? And no, it shouldn't be a gemstore purchasable item.  It just needs to be implemented into the game already.  

Actually the option here is to make all those books become placeable interactable decorations. Seems like it would solve that problem real quick. Now you'd just need a solo player housing system to place the books in. 😄

On 4/13/2022 at 12:29 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Craft-able homes with nodes and such would be worth buying. Like ESO would be great.

You don't craft the homes in eso though. that being a separate option is what you meant? Archeage  like?  Oh wait nevermind you meant craft it yourself, like build it with decoration, gotcha. Eso has storage boxes you can place which are interactble you can put stuff in and remove which is separate from bank. The nodes would be nice to be able to place them where ever you want, but i'm betting that's a step too far for anet. I think they said they can't do that without reworking the system, but hey this would be a new system so who knows.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

If they deliver a housing system, would be a huge reskin of guild halls, and ppl actually complain about lots of limitations on GH system. 

They would need to address some of the problems with guild halls before copying & pasting it over. That could be a problem with "objects too close" or the other warning message that pops up. But i heard Wooden Potatoes talk about this issue quite well.  xxxlinkgoesherexxx Other things need to be added to the system. They've made a few improvements since release but more work still needs to be done that also would apply to a new system/ game mode (undo/redo, rotating, scaling to name a few.)

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Thanks 1

Keeping in mind the demand on developer resources, I think the easiest option to implement would be, to give players a choice from the dozens of structures found in our home instances, or ideally, in our racial city hubs.

For each race, both of these areas are huge & so beautifully designed. It's a real shame that they don't form a more integral part of the game's experience, because clearly, lots of love, talent & time were devoted to creating these areas.

Housing in any mmorpg is always a money maker, so whatever resources were allocated to polishing up, putting some finishing touches to what already exists in the game, would be quickly offset by the income generated.

For those who aren't interested in housing, the income generated by it, could very well translate into additional resources being allocated to what is tops on your own priority list, a win / win.

At the risk of appearing even more noobish than I already do... if Runescape has it, then Guild Wars 2 can certainly have it as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The house should be instanced, and accessible through a door in some of the existing real estate across the world. Lots and lots of different choices, all over the world. Different houses should have different prices. Like using a door in Wizards Fief would get you a small house/apartment, but using the door in one of the bigger houses in Lions Arch would get you a villa.  This would mean people could choose their spot in the world to be the access point to their house. 

House should be fully customizable: furniture but also finishings. Preferably the floorplan too but that is probably asking too much. At least let us pick from several floorplans per piece of real estate (price accordingly),

A garden should go with the larger more expensive instances. Would be cool if we could truly build stuff there and thus build a jumping puzzle for instance. I think Anet can do it, but it would be expensive and a game within a game.

Most importantly: the Housing system should provide a huge boost to Loot and Rewards in the game, apart from stuff that you can buy in the store.  Recipes, materials, keys to certain rooms, parts of furniture, entire pieces of (small) furniture, wall papers and so forth should be seeded on to Monsters and Bossess.  Some of it should be bind on pickup, some of it should be sellable.  The cheap and currently redundant lower tier trade mats should be used in lots of recipes, that need a lot of these. Bosses should drop nice no-drop recipes for cool pieces of furniture, some of them common, some of the very rare.  I would even prefer to have some bosses have known (rare) drops. This would give me motivation to do more open world stuff on a regular basis, if I knew I might get a good reward.   Collections could come into play, an d off course store bought stuff so Anet can make a buck.  Also definitely the possibility to show off trophies.  And we should be able to visit eachothers houses, off course through a permit system, see any other MMO who already did this (20) years ago. 

Housing loot could be the much needed boost to the Reward system that GW2 needs, imo. Right now, it is ultra rare infusions (that I do not care about), something for an achievement(ok, but getting old) or Gold(in the form of stuff that in itself nobody cares about).  Since having a nice, expensive  house is not effecting the powercurve of a Character or Class, I think it should fit well into Anets vision about horizontal progression. 

I do not think the House should give any (combat) bonuses to Characters, nor Inventory space, or tradeskill benches. Let us keep that in the Public Space. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 2

I think adding an additional housing is just redundant at this point. We already have hubs, Guild Halls, and home instances that we already build up in the game. I don't think we need another flavor of home instance.

I think the devs should focus more on expanding upon and improving the home instances that are already available. Maybe add your own personal quarters or housing within the instance or add hub like features like personal storage. Maybe add the ability to customize the instance itself.

I'm tired of seeing more housing. I'm not asking for this.

• Confused 1

People who say not many players care about housing should check the current housing drama and new housing lottery bugs in the FFXIV reddit/forum. 😛 37k views in the forum in 12 hours, thousands of upvotes on reddit. Some disappointed people are rage quitting over housing. A lot of passion for a system that is tied to sub fee (when auto-demolition is on, players lose their houses after 45 days of inactivity)!

There is a HUGE demand for housing in MMOs and it would be a gold mine for Anet. Of course most furnishings/decorations should be available in-game but I can imagine them selling some fancy, glowy ones in the Gem Store. ESO sells furnishing packs and housing instances, it makes sense in a game with optional sub. They have collectable housing instances which is much better than the mess in XIV (and I'm saying this as a happy XIV house owner). So much to learn from other games, so many possibilities.

Edited by Mea.5491
grammar
  • Like 4