How would casuals prepare to clear Kaineng Overlook

Moderators, please leave this thread in General Discussion.  I would like it to be seen by casual players interested in clearing Kaineng Overlook.  If it's moved to     Instanced Group Content, it will primarily be seen by hard core players who don't need and won't be interested in reading it.

How would a group of casuals prepare to clear Kaineng Overlook to get the Thruster Control Unit for the Siege Turtle?

In our group only a couple of us have had any experience with strikes or raids, and it hasn't been a lot.  We can probably get together a group of 6 or 7 of us and will need to add a few more.  What should we do to prepare for this particular strike, please?  

I'll add that we're a group of primarily older(40s, 50s) players who are slow and not really cut out for raiding.  We really have no business going into a strike, but it's *required* for the siege turtle collection.

Edited by Elden Arnaas.4870
added information, typos
  • Like 8

It's almost exactly the same as the story mission. It's not hard at all. Just do a quick google for your class/build, make sure you have at least all exotic gear and know which of your skills are CC and you will be fine. If you could clear the story mission, you can clear the strike. If anything I found the strike easier because I had 9 other people with me lol.

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

It's almost exactly the same as the story mission. It's not hard at all. Just do a quick google for your class/build, make sure you have at least all exotic gear and know which of your skills are CC and you will be fine. If you could clear the story mission, you can clear the strike. If anything I found the strike easier because I had 9 other people with me lol.

There is no cc needed at all in that strike for turtle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

Okay this isn't true. It's not almost exactly the same as a story mission.

In a story mission if the party wipes you're not starting over. The boss retains it's damage. In a story mission you can use a revive orb, you can get rezzed as well. And this has more and harder mechanics that any story mission. I've done it multiple times with various groups and believe me, this is not the same as a story mission.  Saying so doesn't make it so.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

Okay this isn't true. It's not almost exactly the same as a story mission.

In a story mission if the party wipes you're not starting over. The boss retains it's damage. In a story mission you can use a revive orb, you can get rezzed as well. And this has more and harder mechanics that any story mission. I've done it multiple times with various groups and believe me, this is not the same as a story mission.  Saying so doesn't make it so.

I have done it a few times as well and found it to be almost exactly the same as the story mission. Not sure what else to say there. The general mechanics are the same; Yi's patterns are the same, the flow of the fight is the same.  I went into it expecting something very different and difficult, and it just wasn't. There are a few differences, as you said, but that's why I said 'almost' the same lol. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. (Also I'm not a hardcore player! I consider myself casual as well.) 

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, kettering.6823 said:

I have done it a few times as well and found it to be almost exactly the same as the story mission. Not sure what else to say there. The general mechanics are the same; Yi's patterns are the same, the flow of the fight is the same.  I went into it expecting something very different and difficult, and it just wasn't. There are a few differences, as you said, but that's why I said 'almost' the same lol. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. (Also I'm not a hardcore player! I consider myself casual as well.) 

Th1 2 3 mechanic doesn't exist in the story mode. The champs are completely different and don't have purple stuff to show who's actually got aggro. The mechanic where you have to keep the sniper and the golem within a certain percentage of each other or they get bufffed doesn't exist in teh story mode. 

Maybe the difference is I was in voice some of the times with a good team who explained the mechanics. It's very easy to get carried in this game, not know the mechanics and think you're doing it right, but that's not the case here. There are several mechanics here that aren't in story mode.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Th1 2 3 mechanic doesn't exist in the story mode. The champs are completely different and don't have purple stuff to show who's actually got aggro. The mechanic where you have to keep the sniper and the golem within a certain percentage of each other or they get bufffed doesn't exist in teh story mode. 

Maybe the difference is I was in voice some of the times with a good team who explained the mechanics. It's very easy to get carried in this game, not know the mechanics and think you're doing it right, but that's not the case here. There are several mechanics here that aren't in story mode.

Fair enough! It has been a while since I did the story mode to be fair. I'll just say that I did not find it more difficult than the story mission, and the mechanics are quite straight forward. I'm also not sure if this is what you were implying, but I didn't get carried through the strike mission either lol. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

Fair enough! It has been a while since I did the story mode to be fair. I'll just say that I did not find it more difficult than the story mission, and the mechanics are quite straight forward. I'm also not sure if this is what you were implying, but I didn't get carried through the strike mission either lol. 

Never wiped on the story missions, we had groups that couldn't finish it after multiple tries in the strike, but never with a group of people who did raids or other strikes. Casuals just couldn't do it, if the entire group was casual. We could always carry a couple of casuals through though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

If you're a bunch of 40/50+ aged players with slow reflexes watch the mukluk video (or the guide posted more recently by guildjen) and run double quickness firebrand with "Retreat"  "advance" and double heal mechanist. There are no toughness tanking mechanics. If you still fail use a plaguedoctor scourge.

The key part in guildjen's guide is this part:

Spoiler

Aegis or other blocks are extremely helpful because Minister Li’s Dragon Slash can be blocked, preventing players from being instantly downed by it.

"Advance" allows you to essentially ignore Minister Li completely as the block mitigates his Dragon Slashes and any reflect minimizes the sniper's impact. You can then focus on green mechanic and the anti-stack orange circles. Having PUGed the strike numerous times and run people that do not raid or PVE much at all in it, you want to play something with damage but also able to support if things go bad (such as celestial firebrand, celestial or ritualist alacrity renegade, plaguedoctor scourge, condi specter).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

High dps is nice, but not required (no enrage timer).

Positioning when given a number
Biggest advice I can give you is to understand the number mechanics. When you get roman numerals (I, II, III, IV, etc.) above your head, is to leave the group and stand on one side of the arena spread out until Li hits you. The rest of the party stands on the OPPOSITE side. So for example, numbered members stand on west side and non-numbered stand on east side. If people do not separate, they can easily wipe the whole group. If sides are not clearly defined, party non-numbered members will be caught in Li's attack if they are positioned between Li and the numbered party member.

In the second/last stage with Li you will have to time your dodge to avoid Li's slash while staying spread out when you are targeted to be hit by his ranged attack. Good timing is to generally hit your dodge skill when the AoE around you "fills" half way. It's better to fail the green stack mechanic than stack people who are targeted for an attack! 

Everything else you can basically just listen to Mukluk's guide video above. The number mechanic seems to be what wipes PUGs and inexperienced players. In this strike, your teammates are more deadly than the boss.

Good luck!

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I did it twice. I died quickly the first time. Then lasted almost to the final boss.

Either way, I was lucky to team up with several random players who knew each other and just happened to help me and others while I was there.

I think the instance is too hard for my taste.  I will not return ever to it.

• Like 5

Here's my strategy.

When Li is in the centre, just attack and watch for the big arrow. Avoid the big arrow.

If Li jumps to a corner, stand behind him and hit him safely.

If numbers appear over your head, get away from everyone else.

If big growing circles appear under you and everyone else, get away from everyone as best you can.. Dodge right at the end up avoid it entirely.

Watch out for the giant robot, he one hit kills with his beam.

Sniper one hit downs, usually they are handled second so just revive people that are downed.

Avoid blue flaming ground from the dude that zips around.

If you see someone downed, try to revive then immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest have some people play healers/classes who can pick up people who go down fast. 

Dependin on how much time /focus your group has, err on the side of to much healing vs to little.  And pay attention to your positioning. 

Possibly take a few experienced people in those last free slots if you want some advice midfight /etc. 

Edited by yann.1946
Removed something because I misread part of the op
  • Thanks 1

There's also this for casuals:

"Tier 3 upgrades for jade bot modules can now be purchased from Myung-Hee in Seitung Province and Zazzl in Arborstone." - this was in the March 29th update.

EDIT: reading is hard... sorry, misread the post. You meant the thing for turtle not the upgrades for jade bot modules. My bad.

Edited by Yanosh.2631
brain fart
  • Thanks 1

Admittedly, this is not an easy strike. But then, it is not very hard either. The problem is many go into the strikes without knowing even the simplest of the mechanics. If most in the team are  running around blindly during the whole strikes, trying to stay alive, then chances are it will be a failed strike. Age certainly is not a deterrent to success. Join a guild that only accept older players (at least 35+ or 40+), and you'll see there are some of the most skilled players in the game.

As for the strike itself, there are some good videos/guides as others had pointed out, that will prove very useful. A good team composition will help greatly. Above all, revive your teammates asap.

During the fight with Li, use skills to block attacks, know where to run to during fights with Li (huge telegraphed arrow), know when you have to separate from the group (Numbers - edges of your screen lights up) & know when all have to disperse (AoEs).

As for the fights with the lieutenants, know which ones to attack first and which to ignore. If targetted (purple icon above your head), separate the lieutenants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Going for the age-thing 😜

As a 61-year old player, I usually don't struggle (doesn't mean I don't die 🙂 ) once I get to know the mechanics. My biggest problem is usually kicking old habits which don't work in very dynamic battles: you have to move around a lot more to avoid damage instead of soaking up damage, getting out of the way for a big mechanic (don't stand in the fire) and for all the rest rely on the healers.

I found that the most difficult thing is to learn your class well and find a good build that suits you ... but then that's a lot of fun TBH and still experimenting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you have 6-7 players that are willing to exhibit some patience youre actually golden. Its basically a static. I would cover the support roles. I'm sure between you all, even if you dont have many characters, you can make 2 or even 3 healers and cover the basic boons. Ill not go into details, there is plenty of information on net. There is no time limit. So if think you will have issues surviving you can easily go more tanky builds. Raid meta is fine and all but if you die because of it, its bad. Those builds are made for fast clears, you will probably prefer reliable clears.

Now when you have that just open lfg and look for 3 - 4 dps. Youll get them in seconds. If you wipe and they leave. Dont worry, it happens. Hey there are still plenty of LI or KP groups for Harvest temple that wipe 5 times out there and no one complains. Or find 3-4 like minded players.

The strike is nothing special. It doesnt have any special requirements or complex mechanics. The number thing is maybe something that is unique in this strike but its not hard at all. Everything else is just avoid the orange/red telegraphs and stand in green circle. Its a bit longer, especially the second adds (golem and sniper) are big hp sponges. 

Hey you might even like it at the end. Playing with friends, learning mechanics is super fun. You might even start playing fractals (very fun btw, good difficulty curve for beginners) and raids and more strikes.

As for the age. 40-50 is not old for gaming in these times. There is really no limits for 50 y old in this game. Reflexes should be fine. I mean you probably wont cut it as a professional RTS players with 250 actions per minute or a professional FPS players where micro seconds count. But this is a casual mmorpg, as casual as it gets. Its made for 50 y old moms and dads.

15 hours ago, Elden Arnaas.4870 said:

Moderators, please leave this thread in General Discussion.  I would like it to be seen by casual players interested in clearing Kaineng Overlook.  If it's moved to     Instanced Group Content, it will primarily be seen by hard core players who don't need and won't be interested in reading it.

How would a group of casuals prepare to clear Kaineng Overlook to get the Thruster Control Unit for the Siege Turtle?

In our group only a couple of us have had any experience with strikes or raids, and it hasn't been a lot.  We can probably get together a group of 6 or 7 of us and will need to add a few more.  What should we do to prepare for this particular strike, please?  

I'll add that we're a group of primarily older(40s, 50s) players who are slow and not really cut out for raiding.  We really have no business going into a strike, but it's *required* for the siege turtle collection.

My guild group of mostly 50's to 60's just made a point of bringing what we were most familiar with, stayed on tag, dodged the red circles, and rezzed the downs. We had a couple of people watch videos to have an idea of what to expect as well. Over time we have added alacrity and quickness to speed things up since the builds that provide them are easy to run. And two healers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I disagree with the posted video of Enforcer-Mindblade-Ritualist.  Playing with randoms always, usually with newbie saddle-aspirers, Ritualist-Mindblade-Enforcer has been the most consistent.  Enforcer moves around a lot and you'll have much faster time downing Ritualist, or even Mindblade.

The I-II-III mechanic isn't immediately obvious to absolute beginners and can down a whole bunch of players.  Ideally the players with numbers would go to one corner quadrant, while the rest of the team on the opposite quadrant.  The projectile slash can simply be avoided by running side to side (left-right-left).

Another thing that truly wipes beginners is the 2nd fight Li that puts bombs under feet while preparing a big red zone Dragonslash.   It confuses beginners, because they don't want to stack, but they don't want to stand inside the big red zone.  Stand in the big red zone with good spacing between each other, and simply dodge the Slash.  I, personally, do a quick 1-2 count in my head when I see the big red zone, then I press dodge while inside it. I just ignore the explosion after but you can dodge that too.

Lastly, always attack Li from the back, with, maybe a foot of distance.  Lot's of beginners do watch out for red zones, but not small red arrows, and get caught by Li's dash attacks a lot.

Edited by CaffeeCup.5742
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CaffeeCup.5742 said:

I disagree with the posted video of Enforcer-Mindblade-Ritualist.  Playing with randoms always, usually with newbie saddle-aspirers, Ritualist-Mindblade-Enforcer has been the most consistent.  Enforcer moves around a lot and you'll have much faster time downing Ritualist, or even Mindblade.

The I-II-III mechanic isn't immediately obvious to absolute beginners and can down a whole bunch of players.  Ideally the players with numbers would go to one corner quadrant, while the rest of the team on the opposite quadrant.  The projectile slash can simply be avoided by running side to side (left-right-left).

Another thing that truly wipes beginners is the 2nd fight Li that puts bombs under feet while preparing a big red zone Dragonslash.   It confuses beginners, because they don't want to stack, but they don't want to stand inside the big red zone.  Stand in the big red zone with good spacing between each other, and simply dodge the Slash.  I, personally, do a quick 1-2 count in my head when I see the big red zone, then I press dodge while inside it. I just ignore the explosion after but you can dodge that too.

Lastly, always attack Li from the back, with, maybe a foot of distance.  Lot's of beginners do watch out for red zones, but not small red arrows, and get caught by Li's dash attacks a lot.

That bit about keeping a foot of distance is a big deal. Often against other bosses melee will be practically inside their hitbox. In this fight that will count as being in the area of the dash...doing a lot of damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

I would suggest have some people play healers/classes who can pick up people who go down fast. 

Doesn't have to be healers. On encounters where I know people are likely to get downed and I am on my ranger I will still bring Search and Rescue. Other classes have similar skill although some are less useful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Doesn't have to be healers. On encounters where I know people are likely to get downed and I am on my ranger I will still bring Search and Rescue. Other classes have similar skill although some are less useful

indeed.

• Confused 1