Which profession is the least useless with a hammer?

Aodlop.1907

In PvE, Warrior hammer "feels" the best.

All other professions that use hammer feel a bit "whiffy", to steal a fighting game term.

Warrior hammer feels like it connects. Hammer on all other professions has no weight behind it and on Scrapper in particular, is over-animated, locking you in to elaborate animations if you want to complete an attack.

However, in PvP & WvW, Warrior's hammer is a shadow of its former self thanks to ANet's heavy-handed CC damage nerf from a couple of years back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

I tend to agree with the people that said scrapper.

I have been trying Catalyst hammer the past few days. Great in PvE, feels very sensible and flows well, but struggling ro make it work in PvP.

Guardian felt a little slow and clunky to me when I tried it, but that was ages ago so I may need to try again. But hammer tends to be difficult to use in pvp because some hits are hard to land against decent players.

Edited by SlipLihte.1307
Quote didnt work
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Warrior hammer feels like it connects. Hammer on all other professions has no weight behind it and on Scrapper in particular, is over-animated, locking you in to elaborate animations if you want to complete an attack.

A warrior with a hammer says "look at me keeping these mooks CC'd and unable to fight back! Oh yeah, you can't do anything! Hahaha!" as they just ran out of CC skills and the enemies are still standing with about 30% health left.

A warrior with a greatsword (or any non-CC weapon really) says "yeah, that's awesome" as they've just finished killing like ten groups of enemies and are moving to the next group.

Edited by Yggranya.5201

Would we accept Reaper shroud scythe as a hammer?

Joke aside, I think Untamed and scrapper's hammers are somewhat competitive in small scale PvP, Revenant's hammer is competitive in large scale PvP and Catalyst's hammer seem competitive in PvE.

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:11 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

And can actually be played somewhat competitively in both PvE and PvP?

Scrapper's not so hot in SPvP right now, but it's got a simple-yet-satisfying PvE build with perma-Quickness, and a fairly serious World vs. World roaming spec (using grenades and hammer).

52 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

The game certainly does! 😛

Yeah but, does the OP valid it for this thread. Their thread, their rule.

I mean, if they ask in order to be able to play with whatever hammer skin he unlocked, the reaper might not be what they is looking for

Edited by Dadnir.5038

Overall Scrapper, due can be played at any game mode, being even meta at some.

Rev hammer is atrocious at everything outside zerg vs zerg. The slowest weapon in game with the lowest damage output.

Warrior's hammer is mostly cc, and damage got gutted at WvW and PvP, so almost useless outside PvE.

Guardian's hammer is one of the least used weapons in the entire game, at any game mode.

The new specs using hammer... So far nothing ground breaking. Nothing compared to the fun ANet stole from Warrior's hammer at the begining at the game. They did a "Bobby Kotik": stripped the fun out of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Scrapper has been beaten with the nerf bat recently but I think its still the best hammer spec.  To be honest though I've never played revenant or guardian hammer.  I think catalyst might be at the top as well though, at least for open world its better than scrapper. 

its gonna be catalyst.

Hammer Catalyst is a Strong PvE build (granted its not the Best Specc in the entire game. but its a strong one and hammers its the Meta setup for catalyst)

and Hammer catalyst is pretty decent in ranked gameplay. Meso and a few others have been using it quite a bit in ranked.

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1

Rev hammer is meta for wvw zergs. 

Warrior hammer is used with support warrior in wvw zergs. Youre not there for dmg anyway so the gutted dmg is not an issue. But I dont know how the Woj nerf impacted the support spellbreaker in zergs, havent played much lately. 

Both are not good outside of that niche with hammers. 

Guardian hammer has some niche in spvp. For example it can work on the currently very oppressive willbender instead of GS. Most still use GS though. 

• Confused 1