Very Off-Topic but How Many of You Are From Ancient MMOs?

I came from Lineage 2, I started playing it in 2004 (c2) and left around 2017 to play gw2, yes, I spent all my teenage life playing it and actually made some friends that are my best friends today.
I also played LOL for about 6 years from season 3 to 9.

11 hours ago, Gwylen.3462 said:

Got super hooked on a reallyyyy obscure MMO called Otherland Next last year, which got sunset recently, it was a really buggy sci-fi MMO based on the novels by Tad Williams. A very unusual, visually striking and interesting game! 

I can't believe I didn't know about that! An Otherland game sounds amazing.

4 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I have everyone in this thread beat.

I've been playing RPG's since the Voynich manuscript released in 1404.

Okay, it's a table-top RPG, but we didn't have internet back then.  And getting the whole village together was considered massively multiplayer.  

See also XKCD.

I love that!

Reminds me of a discussion I had about how if archeologists excavated a music festival site like Donington or Glastonbury they'd probably conclude it was the site of a great religious pilgrimage. (The discussion of course included someone insisting that's exactly what it is, and also that Stone Henge was built for prehistoric raves.)

4 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I wish there was something with the item philosophy of GW2 (no grind at the end and capped at Acended stats that do not give much more than exotics) ... a system with maybe dedicated healers ... and factions fighting with a lore like in Warhammer - and where it is in the regular world (not in some mists) and where you a reason to fight ... for your faction/realm. When I joined back then it was already dead though - people only playing humans (on the order side) for the PvE stuff and the other starter areas dead.

Have you tried Elder Scrolls Online? I think it checks all the boxes on your list. It is a bit more grindy than GW2 but the equipment tiers have been capped for years and they've added ways to make respeccing easier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ancient MMOs...

I played Ultima Online for years, as an adult.

Guess that makes me an ancient adult. LOL  (though tempted to cry a little).

I also played Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes, Star Wars The Old Republic (still have characters there) and a few others that I don't remember or are inconsequential.

Guild Wars 2 has been my latest and current fixation. Mainly due to it's subscription model...as in NONE. If I play, I pay, usually for gems for all of those wonderful toys. If I don't play, I don't have to worry about bleeding my finances during my down time.

Edited by GamerOnline.3650
  • Like 2

Anarchy Online for a little bit when that first came out (I would have played longer if I had access to a credit card in HS haha) and City of Heroes for 3 years.  I thought the social aspect of that game was so cool. You could recognize people based off their costume, sadly unlike here in GW2. 

On 5/17/2022 at 6:28 AM, Southerncarl.2740 said:

Plantside 1 was amazing. Planetside 2 not so much. The game is 90 percent microtransactions.

Yup it sure was amazing and a lot of fun. (WvW should have been designed that way, where every base had a purpose to fight over)

I couldn't get into 2, I just didn't like the ui, was hard for me to tell between friend and foe, but apparently that was improved recently so I may give it another try.

ESO lag has also apparently been fixed for PC, so I may even give that another shot too.

WvW here is just getting... no attention... no development... stink balance... 🤷‍♂️

I played some MMOs a long time ago namely Ragnarok, Ran, Khan, GodsWar, Aura Kingdom, and Atlantica.

Although, I didn't get that far from these games as playing MMOs while being a student in my country was not sustainable for me (I most play MMOs at that time at a Computer Shop).

Edit: spelling

Edited by Akoneon.3860

On 5/17/2022 at 12:58 AM, Rogue.8235 said:

I have everyone in this thread beat.

I've been playing RPG's since the Voynich manuscript released in 1404.

Okay, it's a table-top RPG, but we didn't have internet back then.  And getting the whole village together was considered massively multiplayer.  

See also XKCD.

I am glad that you appreciate all of the effort I put into it. A real labor of love.

• Haha 1

I used to play off-line RPGs, a lot. I still remember Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder vividly. Do those count, too?😅

GW2 is actually my first MMORPG. I loved playing the Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. My all-time favorite is, and likely will always be, Dragon Age: Origins.

Guild Wars 1 was my first fantasy online RPG experience, but it wasn't an MMO per se, so... I tried WoW for a day or two, but never got into it (I really hate the graphics).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guild Wars was my first MMO. Mostly because I didn't have money for a subscription MMO. I started playing in Sept 2006 when i found Guild Wars Special Edition for a discount in my local toy store. It was just before the release of Nightfall. I remember seeing the Nightfall login screen in preparation for the campaign release.

Well, the rest is history.

• Like 1

Talking about ancient mmos and didn't mention Star Wars Galaxies 🥲 r.i.p.

I remember saving up lunch money each day to pay for the sub wow😂 until they stopped selling the sub cards in stores.

Was my first mmo before I started gw1(though I don't know how much of an actual mmo it is, more like a coop rpg in a similar fashion to warframe but good) and much later on, Aeon.

Edited by Serephen.3420

Silkroad Online is the MMORPG i have enjoyed the most, after I had some good years with AION and now some other good years with GW2. I am a MMORPG player so over the years I have tried almost all of them, last one was New World (nice game, I will go back when/if NW will get some love for semi casual players). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Yup it sure was amazing and a lot of fun. (WvW should have been designed that way, where every base had a purpose to fight over)

I couldn't get into 2, I just didn't like the ui, was hard for me to tell between friend and foe, but apparently that was improved recently so I may give it another try.

ESO lag has also apparently been fixed for PC, so I may even give that another shot too.

WvW here is just getting... no attention... no development... stink balance... 🤷‍♂️

Planetside 2 the bases are just too open/missing walls and it doesn't feel like there's a front line it's too much of a free for all. They went to call of duty with it. ESO is good. The world is great and the fully voiced dialogue. It would probably be my go to MMO but I just can't get along with the combat.

My first MMO that I played is Myst Online: Uru Live. It's also an adventure game and part of the Myst franchise. The first version of this game (Uru Live: Prologue) was released on 2003 and closed in 2004. Then the second version (Úntil Uru) was released in 2006 and the third version (Myst Online: Uru Live) was released in 2007 and closed in 2008. I playing the fourth and current version of the game (Myst Online: Uru Live again), which was released in 2010 and still going on to this day, because it's maintained by Myst fans and it's also open-source and free-to-play.

My first contact to Guild Wars 2 was when my parents brought the game in 2012. At first, Guild Wars 2 didn't interest me that much, but in early 2014 I got more interest to the game and in 2015 I got my own copy and account of GW2 for my birthday. Since then I playing GW2 to this day.

By the way, since I've had Guild Wars 2 in 2015, I've always wanted to visit and explore the full original non-instancing Lion's Arch map from release and have been waiting to do so for years. Maybe it will be possible after the whole season 1 is re-released. We will see.

Edited by TGMChrist.2678

first mmo i played hardcore was Mankind. it was like starcraft but on a massive scale. other than maybe eve, it is the largest game world i have seen to date even still.  

i also played pre-CU swg heavily, both live and the emu. it's my most played mmo and #1 on my favorite list. i pray one day for someone to take up the mantle and make another game that unique but with a shiny new modern engine. to bad soe ruined it with NGE, what a disaster. sigh.

Edited by fixit.7189