Very Off-Topic but How Many of You Are From Ancient MMOs?

7 hours ago, CaffeeCup.5742 said:

Hmm.. Ragnarok Online, RF Online, Lineage II, Anarchy Online, Guild Wars 1 (up until Nightfall only), City of Heroes, Champions Online, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 for a very short time then back to WoW, drama-drama-drama, quit MMORPGs in general for many years, full of disappointment and regret, then now Guild Wars 2 again but solo only.

Played RFO as well! Loved my Accretian.

6 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Everquest forever! Started my MMO career the day that Everquest released('99), having decided to pass on Ultima Online because of the reviews I had read about its toxic PvP environment.  I only truly abandoned Everquest about 6 years ago. 

I pretty much tried about every MMO that released since EQ but never played anything more then a few days/weeks/months.

Yeah! I didn't start on EQ1 until 2000 or 2001 because well.. I was like 3 when EQ1 came out. Played EQ1 with my family until 2004, then played EQ2 until GW1's release.. then kinda drifted about on MMOs for a long time, even now. GW2 and EQ2 are still my go-to MMOs since I consider them both the best out of the genre.

10 hours ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

I'm from FFXI that I played from 2003 to 2021, tried other more recent MMOs over the years including FFXIV obviously; it's awful.

GW2 is the only one I keep coming back to even though EoD somehow tainted my enjoyment of the game.

I'm kinda in the same boat, however, I've tried pretty much every MMO I could find and most were in the categories of trash and meh. FF14 feels pretty above average, like not great but not bad either, just decent, but the people are really nice, at least. ESO feels... almost meh, it's barely decent, the mindnumbingly easy overworld kinda ruins it for me. (if you thought base GW2 overworld was easy, think of baby's first MMO and you got ESO) As mentioned, I tend to go back and forth between GW2 and EQ2, they're the only two that keep my interest in the MMO genre.

Played lots of smaller MMOs but never really got into the larger ones for various reasons. Favorite will always be Myth of Soma, from January 2003. Heard lots about GW2 from players in those MMOs but never tried it until the release of PoF. Never looked back since.

Loved Blizzard games starting with Warcraft and was so looking forward to migrate to WoW. Joined beta. Played for a month after the release. Just didn't like it and went right back to Myth of Soma until it closed.

Never was a big MMO-Player. In general, i personally started rather late with PC-gaming. Younger me was more the console-type, because of my mother. And as i looked it up, i was quite young when GW1 came out so i'm not surprised i never heard of it and even got quit late into gw2.

Before gw2 i played some MMO's like WOW, Neverwinter and stuff, but other than that mostly korean ones and got never hooked long because of the Grind. Also, all this games i played only because friends and Boyfriend at that time, wanted that i played this stuff.

Gw2 was the first MMO i buyed and downloaded because i decided myself and funny enoug, all my friends and my ex-boyfriend from this time, didn't liked GW2 xD. But GW2 is just the perfect mixture for me personally. It's grindy in a way, that you play the game, but when you just play for fun it dosn't feel like grind like in the other MMO's i played where you played for days to raise one lvl and had stuff for which you needed IRL money just to upgrade your'e gear. And even this was random, you could pay 10€ for one Update and didn't even get this update ....

Personal history begins with SWG then moves to WoW. After that playing EQ2 and GW1 were a couple of time sinks. In between those were several experiences with failed mmo's.

When GW2 was announced I was looking forward to it's release. Later when it became clear that Mesmer would be in the game I was sold and purchased the game before launch. The first and so far only game in which that has happened.

While I have burned myself out a couple of times playing GW2 I have never regretted my purchase.

4 minutes ago, Oriens.5630 said:

Personal history begins with SWG then moves to WoW. After that playing EQ2 and GW1 were a couple of time sinks. In between those were several experiences with failed mmo's.

When GW2 was announced I was looking forward to it's release. Later when it became clear that Mesmer would be in the game I was sold and purchased the game before launch. The first and so far only game in which that has happened.

While I have burned myself out a couple of times playing GW2 I have never regretted my purchase.

Same, funnily enough, I was happy they had, at least, Necromancer and, technically, Assassin in GW2. Didn't try Mesmer until 2014 and ended up loving it. Mesmer is basically the closest thing to Bard for me since, at that time, I wished more MMOs had bard as a class.

12 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

EverQuest veteran (refugee?)

I miss calling out train to zone sometimes...

Knowing I'm both an EQ1 and EQ2 veteran/refugee, I miss a lot of things I used to do in both of them that aren't as easily replicated in GW2, but, with the EQ series holding on by a very thin thread from a life or death situation, I am like... 80% moved to GW2 as my main MMO. EQ2 players are so pessimistic, bitter and rather unhelpful these days, They're so resigned and don't even want to bother with trying to get the devs motivated again in any way. I am still passionate about the series and seeing that series slowly die because of neglect and care from both the company and the community, it's very depressing.

Knowing how popular and revolutionary Everquest was in the old days, I don't think it would be allowed to die completely, someone will probably pick the series up and try to revitalize said series.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

Knowing I'm both an EQ1 and EQ2 veteran/refugee, I miss a lot of things I used to do in both of them that aren't as easily replicated in GW2, but, with the EQ series holding on by a very thin thread from a life or death situation, I am like... 80% moved to GW2 as my main MMO. EQ2 players are so pessimistic, bitter and rather unhelpful these days, They're so resigned and don't even want to bother with trying to get the devs motivated again in any way. I am still passionate about the series and seeing that series slowly die because of neglect and care from both the company and the community, it's very depressing.

Knowing how popular and revolutionary Everquest was in the old days, I don't think it would be allowed to die completely, someone will probably pick the series up and try to revitalize said series.

When I get the itch I play it again on a project 1999 server. Check the private servers out.

4 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

When I get the itch I play it again on a project 1999 server. Check the private servers out.

Sadly, there are no private servers for EQ2, by technicality. There is one but it's basically in pre-pre-pre-alpha stage, currently unplayable unless you like running around and doing nothing. I am aware of EQ1's private servers, but, to be honest, I am more interested in EQ2 since it's less overwhelming for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

Mesmer is basically the closest thing to Bard for me since, at that time, I wished more MMOs had bard as a class.

Exactly my sentiments. While Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had a tragic story their bard class was absolutely the best I have ever experienced in a game.

One of it's best features was that a group of individual abilities were under the category of music. Different parts were compatible or not compatible with each other. From this the bard could literally compose their own unique music to buff, debuff, attack, heal, movement, etc.

Again the game was a tragedy. However, parts of it shone so amazingly.

2 hours ago, Oriens.5630 said:

Exactly my sentiments. While Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had a tragic story their bard class was absolutely the best I have ever experienced in a game.

One of it's best features was that a group of individual abilities were under the category of music. Different parts were compatible or not compatible with each other. From this the bard could literally compose their own unique music to buff, debuff, attack, heal, movement, etc.

Again the game was a tragedy. However, parts of it shone so amazingly.

Unfortunate that I never got to try Vanguard, a lot of EQ2 players loved it and, honestly, I would love to try it if it ever resurfaces.

I started mmos in 2012..with lord of the rings online. I loved that game until they released lootboxes..and now it's just on life support from the older retired playerbase who can't let the game go.

Now, i'm at a point where i want to just sell my pc and play single player games on my ps5. 

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Sad 2

My first MMO was Urban Dead , a browser based zombie apocalypse game. It's graphics were a bit more advanced than the early Rogue like dungeon crawlers, but not by much. The game play was not much more advanced than Rogue like games either. The community was great fun though. You could play as either human or zombie and the players spent a lot of time planning out massive battles between the two sides. I spent about a year and a half there fighting on the human side. That was back around 2006 or so. My earliest gaming though was with text based games and those Rogue like dungeons. Once every blue moon or so, I'll still pull Angband, a solo dungeon crawler, out for an hour or two.

My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI which I played for 9 yrs all through school. I later went on to GW1 (only core, never played the xpacs), WoW (started during WotLK, quit and returned during the later xpacs WoD and Legion), FFXIV (quit after 6 mths at launch due to how awfully boring it was). I've played a ton of MMOs like Ragnarok Online, Runescape, Maplestory, Aion, Lineage 2, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, TERA, Scarlet Blade ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and while I REALLY enjoyed a lot of Asian MMORPG levelling experiences thanks to the very cultured female armor design ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), I tend to get bored once I reach max level and finish the main story questline.

I played GW2 for a yr at launch in 2012 and got burnt out from the achievement point ratrace, quit and only returned last yr. I was pleasantly surprised by how far GW2 has come and I plan to stick with GW2 for the rest of my life (or at least until a much better MMO comes along, which isn't very likely from the current state of the gaming industry).

EQ a few months after launch, as I recall. I tried to solo, but never did get the hang of the two classes that were capable of it (Druid and Necro). My main was a mage... Funny how the supposed solo class couldn't solo very well at all.

Then I went to SWG for a bit, left before the first of the big changes hit, totally missed the NGE.

EQ2 for a bit when it came out. Again, I tried to solo. Again, poor results.

CoH was my home for the longest time. My first try at it, I joined with a bunch of people from an EQ board, but quickly found it disappointing when most of them left and I had nobody to play with. Left for a bit, came back later and landed on Virtue (unofficial RP server). While it had its flaws, I'd say CoH was still the best MMORPG ever made when it shut down.

Came to GW2 with some CoH friends because the Paragon devs said to not hold the shutdown against ANet, despite them also being under NCSoft's banner. Most of them quit, the couple that stayed drifted away to new friends, and I mostly solo once more.

• Sad 1

Started with Ultima Online in 1998 on official servers then switched to free server that didn't have skill cap and later joined another that did have the cap. When WoW came out I hesitated but the UO server slowly withered so in 2005 I also switched to WoW. Played it from vanilla to Draenor and stopped before the next expansion.

For GW2 I preordered the collector's edition and started playing week or so after launch. I've had many long breaks but always seem to come back to it.

Other MMOs I've played: Eve Online, SWtOR, Aion, Guild Wars, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. For my time spent playing ranking I'd say WoW > Eve Online > GW2. Nowdays it's just casual GW2 gaming and I might log in to GW when I feel like it.

Incidentally several older MMOs are still going, including Ultima Online, Runescape and Everquest, so someone wouldn't have to have been playing them for decades to have started with one of those.

There's even MUDs and text-based roleplaying forums still around. And text based single-player games but I think those are more of a novelty these days, I'm not convinced anyone really enjoys sitting there trying to guess which obscure Ye Olde Englishe word the developers might have used for 'pick up'.

• Haha 1

I think the first online games I tried were back then WoW at release and GW1 (which is not a MMORPG). Couldn't get into GW1 back then and only started it like 2 years ago - trying to complete everything there. (Difficulty feels higher and it feels grindier/longer to progress through the maps. Can't just login for 5 mins and do something.)

WoW I played on a "role play" server ... only for about 6 months. Also tried on normal servers - for faster progress when you did not need to do roleplaying. (Figured out this wasn't my thing after all.) Couldn't get a char to max level. Only to level 40 or so ... then had trouble to farm money for the mount and lost motivation to play since solo killing mobs (more than 1) was already dangerous there and farming was terrible/boring. And I wasn't into doing dungeons with groups.

So I'm glad GW2 now exists. The other MMORPG I played were a few asian grinders, Everquest 2 I think - and the NWN one. Also shooters like Warrock (played that a bit longer cause it was free - and fun as a shooter but lots of hackers lol). But only really tried those MMORPG a lil bit. Asian stuff is prettty annoying. (They like to grind I think - and this is the main theme of all the games then.)

The only game (dead now) I played a bit more online - was "Vanguard Sage of Heroes" - has a nice soundtrack (look at YouTube). Setting was nice and they hat some mini card game for "diplomacy" to get buffs for all people in a region when you beat the NPCs at the card game.

One of my favorite games was Savage 2. Not an MMORPG. But onlline based (only multiplayer) with servers and 2 teams fighting each other. 3rd person view melee combat (with a bit shooter but ranged weapons had super low damage). Goal was to destroy the enemies main spawn base and they could build forward  spawn buildings and had a commander that actually had RTS view on the map. (Similar games like this were Nuclear's Dawn and ... I think Natural Selection. But never played them.) Was from the company that made Heroes of Newerth (another Dota-clone) but the company is dead now as well. (Guy that founde the company is now making soap with his wife.) / I wish GW2 had a game mode like this. 10-20 players per team and 2 teams fighting each other with the goal to destroy the enemy spawn base.

Edited by Luthan.5236

Runescape, FlyFF, ROSE online, Cabal, Rappelz, Kal online, Age of Wushu, Aura Kingdom, World of Tanks... and the list goes on...

I prefer grindy games where progression takes ages and I can feel good about achievements. This is why I no longer play GW2.

Edited by CashCow.9548
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2