High-tech: "But it's always been there!"

Whenever the current amount of high-tech seen in the game receives criticism, there are always those quick to jump in and say: "But GW2 always had magi-tech and steam tech, this isn't new!"

Well... let's compare:

Before HoT, we had a modest implementation of technology:

• waypoints
  • asura portals
  • golems
  • magi-tech labs, calculators, calibration devices
  • steam-powered airships

By now, we have modern high-tech all over the place:

• power plants
  • communication networks
  • the world-wide web
  • a full-fledged electricity network
  • zip lines, elevators, teleporters
  • electronic billboards
  • holographic news and advertisement
  • cyberpunky mechs and bots

I think the difference is quite distinct. It all started with Taimi and her golem, then went on with strange networks in Tarir, then took a steep increase with high-tech labs in Rata Novus, the introduction of G5 comm devices in LWS3, advanced steam-tech in Drizzlewood, and now has reached another high with a new Cantha that is fully being powered by jade-tech electricity.

As such, I think that, if someone doesn't want their favorite fantasy MMO to gradually turn into Cyberpunk 2077, they have the right to voice their dismay.

We have enough of that already in our daily lives! Most people play fantasy MMORPGs to escape just that for a little while, put on their armor, grab their sword and dive into a world void of the stress that our modern, highly technologized world causes.

Think about it...

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 31
  • Sad 1

Civilizations tend to progress.  Your dislike of the jade tech and it's color have been made very clear in other posts.  And your biggest grievances, like billboards and ziplines, are only in Cantha.  I guess the holograms and Asura tech you don't find as offensive?  Didn't like the metal concert with amps in Grothmar?  Pretty escapist fantasy on all this.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Take a look at the Marvel movies and compare the earlier ones to Infiniti War. There’s a large jump in technology similar to what you’re saying is in GW2. 

Then there’s Cantha. It’s supposedly the most technologically advanced nation on Tyria. It all started with Joon but over how many years?  How does having a power source mean you’re going to suddenly become more advanced?  It’s like Wakanda becoming the most advanced because they have a rare metal. It just doesn’t make all that much sense. 

They’re advanced because the plot says so. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

39 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

• power plants
  • communication networks
  • the world-wide web
  • electronic billboards

We have that in Cantha and only in Cantha. I think it’s quite fitting there. Don’t like it? Don’t go there. There are no zip lines in Queensdale. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

If anything, would be nice if the starter maps looked like they were developing a bit more, at least client side, if you kept doing expansions, as if showing that Asura are using outside tech to improve themselves.

Imagine if Rata Sum suddenly had a massive AI that keeps track of things.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I mean it's not like if you go to Queensdale that there's electronic billboards everywhere, or holographic whales... No, it's confined to the EoD maps where they did develop the technology (presumably over many years, it's not like we've been there for 150 years), and it fits in perfectly fine. You just don't like it, and that's okay.

57 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

We have enough of that already in our daily lives! Most people play fantasy MMORPGs to escape just that for a little while, put on their armor, grab their sword and dive into a world void of the stress that our modern, highly technologized world causes.

"I have had enough of that in my daily life and I play MMORPGs to escape from that" FTFY.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Whenever the current amount of high-tech seen in the game receives criticism, there are always those quick to jump in and say: "But GW2 always had magi-tech and steam tech, this isn't new!"

Well... let's compare:

• waypoints
  • asura portals
  • golems
  • steam-powered airships

• power plants
  • communication networks
  • the world-wide web
  • electronic billboards

I think the difference is quite distinct. It all started with Taimi and her golem, then went on with strange networks in Tarir, then took a steep increase with high-tech labs in Rata Novus, the introduction of G5 comm devices in LWS3, advanced steam-tech in Drizzlewood, and now has reached another high with a new Cantha that is fully being powered by jade-tech electricity.

As such, I think that, if someone doesn't want their favorite fantasy MMO to gradually turn into Cyberpunk 2077, they have the right to voice their dismay.

Think about it...

I completely agree, it degrades the fantasy elements to much but so do certain cosmetic options in this game as well, gw2 lacks identity in my opinion for sure, you could say its a strength but the world is already chatoic as hek to much conflict at every corner, it lacks a certain flow as much as I love this game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12

18 minutes ago, Ryou.2398 said:

I completely agree, it degrades the fantasy elements to much but so do certain cosmetic options in this game as well, gw2 lacks identity in my opinion for sure, you could say its a strength but the world is already chatoic as hek to much conflict at every corner, it lacks a certain flow as much as I love this game.

The whole game, and virtually all MMOs and other games are fantasy. You are confusing anachronistic fantasy with the word fantasy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Whilst I’m disappointed with EoD, one of the things they got right was the evolution of technology and explaining it in the context of the lore. GW2 has never been a pure fantasy mmo from day one and the progression of technology has been one of the better parts of the story since the Zhaitan arc.

Its a misconception that GW2 is a fantasy mmo in any sort of pure sword and sorcery form. It’s always been hybrid. People can want it to be different t because gw1 was much closer to that, but that ship sailed a decade ago. And it is highly logical for the world to progress whilst under the threat of war and catastrophe. That is what happens. This isn’t Game of Thrones (thankfully!!!)

Players will for the most part have embraced the Magitech and understand it’s intrinsic to it. Fantasy is a broad spectrum and it’s refreshing not to be in a world which is another D&D/generic fantasy clone, but one that actually evolves. 

Most of the examples you list (and you miss out forcefields, lasers, tanks, helicopters from the early days amongst others) are just technology evolving. And that is a huge plus for the game for the dev team to keep thinking like that.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

And your biggest grievances, like billboards and ziplines, are only in Cantha.

I surely hope is stays there, but fear it won't. 😐

The thing is: I already hated G5 comm network devices in LWS3 and beyond, and the exaggerated use of steam-powered war machinery in Drizzlewood. I think there has been an obvious trend. I felt relieved when PoF went live, but the aforementioned trend was picked up again afterwards.

36 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

The whole game, and virtually all MMOs and other games are fantasy. You are confusing anachronistic fantasy with the word fantasy.

Of course there are several fantasy genres. The original Star Wars trilogy is fantasy, too, unlike Star Trek. Or LotR: fantasy, while Jules Verne was strongly leaning towards what later became the sci-fi genre.

When most people refer to fantasy MMOs, though, they usually mean classic fantasy (like the world of GW1, LotR etc).

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Whilst I’m disappointed with EoD, one of the things they got right was the evolution of technology

It's not the point whether they got it right. My point is: I don't like it. There are other games that people can refer to when they want technology in their MMO. Why does GW2 have to turn into Cyberpunk 2077?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 17

10 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't like it. 

And that’s fine, you have stated that often enough the last months. 

Many other players like it or think that it fits to Cantha. There still are many maps without any technology.
But some kind of technology has always been a part of GW2, look at the Asura or Charr. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Because it makes sense to do so and because it’s the very clear direction/path they have been on since day one. It’s fine to dislike it, but it totally fits and works. I once was unconvinced that a cyberpunk setting was right for gw2, but when you see it implemented and then realise that the story arc has been building naturally since the very beginning to a technologised world (one of the pillars of the Zhaitan story is this very theme and that continued in Season 1 albeit in a much more drastic and cheesy way), then it’s easy to see why they did it. 

At the end of the day, GW2 was never intended to be classic fantasy. It was designed as a sci fi fantasy hybrid. That’s what this game absolutely has always been and I actually believe is what helps GW2 stand out in a classic fantasy heavy genre. If it decided to design a sword and sorcery mmo against the likes of wow, lotro, eso, Conan, d&d online.. then it could well have struggled to stand out. Making a hybrid fantasy from the start gave them options and a difference maker

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I surely hope is stays there, but fear it won't. 😐

The thing is: I already hated G5 comm network devices in LWS3 and beyond, and the exaggeration use of steam-powered war machinery in Drizzlewood. I think there has been an obvious trend. I felt relieved when PoF went live, but the aforementioned trend was picked up again afterwards.

Of course there are several fantasy genres. The original Star Wars trilogy is fantasy, too, unlike Star Trek. Or LotR: fantasy, while Jules Verne was strongly leaning towards what later became the sci-fi genre.

When most people refer to fantasy MMOs, though, they usually mean classic fantasy (like the world of GW1, LotR etc).

Since they really don't update maps to keep up with changes, I don't think that's a big issue.  It's ok to not like the jade tech, but it's an rpg set in a fantasy world so whatever that means to it's artists and developers may not mean the same to you.  It's not a medieval game with knights, it's not high fantasy like Tolkein.  They really won't be running utility lines to Hoelbrek.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Didn't we go through this conversation - repeatedly - before EoD launched? I think you got your answer then: it's here. Let the world grow up. Deal with it. "Fantasy" does not automatically mean "medieval stasis." You don't like it? That's fine, you're in no way obligated to love everything about a setting, but the devs aren't going to do a 180-degree turn on the technological advancement of their fictional world because one person says they hate it.

Edit: You know, I remember a while ago when some new player threw a fit on the forums because chronomancers could tank. His reason? They wear cloth armor. EVERYBODY knows cloth armor classes should not tank! How dare this game do something different!?!?! ...now, I'm not sure if he was trolling or not, but the parallels are there. GW2 (and GW1, in which we saw the beginnings of magi-tech) is its own setting with its own rules. Just because it doesn't follow well-worn tropes of high fantasy doesn't mean it's bad.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I'm not sure OP is fighting for a complete reversal, they're just voicing their disappointment on the forum. that's okay, right?

Sure, but this is not a diary. Other people can voice their opinions too, right? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well... let's compare:

• waypoints
  • asura portals
  • golems
  • steam-powered airships

• power plants
  • communication networks
  • the world-wide web
  • electronic billboards

Think about it...

In the pre-hot section you forgot tanks, machineguns, submachineguns in many ways more advanced than what we have in the real world today, lasers, helicopters, submarines, flamethrowers, automatic artillery, armored personnel carriers, force field generators, hologram projectors.

Based on what we actually see in game rather than on dialogue Cantha is actually behind core Tyria  technogically.

But I agree that the tech element is overdone throughout the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

A lot of your points have existed since launch.

• power plants

Metrica Province, Thaumanova Reactor.

• communication networks

Metrica Province/Rata Sum/Asura Story.  It seems Asura have means of long0distance communication, though I'd be happy for someone to verify this.

Metrica Province.  It's a heart and there's mosquitoes, air elementals, and Inquest trying to explode it.

Asura Personal Story.  It's one of the biography choices.

• electronic billboards

Rata Sum and the populated part of Metrica Province.  Those floating glowy holographic screens of varying sizes are littered all over Rata Sum.  A billboard is merely a bigger version.

Not sure if anything is explicitly detailed in Rata Sum, though this wouldn't be a stretch.  You have lasers, power grids, holographic interfaces, holographic projections of information, etc.

Almost anywhere where there are Asura.

• the world-wide web

..... yep that's a new one.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Sure, but this is not a diary. Other people can voice their opinions too, right? 

Of course, but when the comments start to veer into "OMG, we talked about this before, stop bringing it up", "I think you got your answer then: it's here. Let the world grow up. Deal with it." and other belittling remarks, it starts to veer away from simply voicing an opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

2 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

A lot of your points have existed since launch.

Metrica Province, Thaumanova Reactor.

Metrica Province/Rata Sum/Asura Story.  It seems Asura have means of long0distance communication, though I'd be happy for someone to verify this.

Metrica Province.  It's a heart and there's mosquitoes, air elementals, and Inquest trying to explode it.

Asura Personal Story.  It's one of the biography choices.

Rata Sum and the populated part of Metrica Province.  Those floating glowy holographic screens of varying sizes are littered all over Rata Sum.  A billboard is merely a bigger version.

Not sure if anything is explicitly detailed in Rata Sum, though this wouldn't be a stretch.  You have lasers, power grids, holographic interfaces, holographic projections of information, etc.

Almost anywhere where there are Asura.

..... yep that's a new one.

About the holographs dont forget scarlets holographs in twilight arbor aetheblade path.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

About the holographs dont forget scarlets holographs in twilight arbor aetheblade path.

Ah yeah, and that's technically before HoT.

However, I figured Scarlet is extremely exceptional and I was giving examples of things that are typical in the setting.  The idea was to highlight things that are considered normal in the setting, whereas Scarlet was... very definitely not normal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I'm not sure OP is fighting for a complete reversal, they're just voicing their disappointment on the forum. that's okay, right?

Sure, but this is the 3rd or 4th thread they've made just to say they don't like it. 

Surely they can just post in one thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

So your assuming me and the op are thinking of the general fantasy mmo which is not even remotely close to his original point, I have been playing mmos since the 90s dude I think I know by now mmos need their uniquness compared to others. That does not mean its always done well does it? Not sure why so many are confused I was quite clear if its confusing to you then you must be the damage control.

Edited by Ryou.2398
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6