"Saved Edit" Poll

Gaile Gray.6029

given the "Your draft has been saved" messaging. can not be removed . and this is not php or php nuked . the best fix would be to remove it all together. and if their was a proper guide of some sort showing how to use the or do a a manual "Save Draft" function, would be of big help and qol thing for the forums as a whole. as well as having a manual "Save Draft" function, would defiantly be a good qol for the forums over all. then removing that whole "Your draft has been saved" is what would be #bestforbusiness

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:(PS I think Vanilla should be embarrassed that they can't do anything about the timing or the location. Every software platform has limitations due to compromises made for the sake of releasing useful code quickly enough, but this seems like one that shouldn't have made it past their first user testing.)

Except they can and they intentionally put it in the center of the screen; the default being the bottom left corner. Considering the styling was done by Vanilla Forums for ArenaNet, ArenaNet would probably have to pay them again to restyle it.

Excelsior.I am fine with it since I am writing blind anyways and keep typing "underneath" that popup. But the entire feature is useless in my opinion anyways, this is the first forum ever that saves drafts and usually I send the messages on their way immediately. And my browsers usually don't crash and modern browsers also save textbox contents (e.g. on HistoryBack commands) anyways.

• ArenaNet Staff

Think I should add a "Click 'Save Draft'" message in the "How do I..." post about the new forums?

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:given the "Your draft has been saved" messaging. can not be removed . and this is not php or php nuked . the best fix would be to remove it all together. and if their was a proper guide of some sort showing how to use the or do a a manual "Save Draft" function, would be of big help and qol thing for the forums as a whole. as well as having a manual "Save Draft" function, would defiantly be a good qol for the forums over all. then removing that whole "Your draft has been saved" is what would be #bestforbusiness

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Think I should add a "Click 'Save Draft'" message in the "How do I..." post about the new forums?

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:given the "Your draft has been saved" messaging. can not be removed . and this is not php or php nuked . the best fix would be to remove it all together. and if their was a proper guide of some sort showing how to use the or do a a manual "Save Draft" function, would be of big help and qol thing for the forums as a whole. as well as having a manual "Save Draft" function, would defiantly be a good qol for the forums over all. then removing that whole "Your draft has been saved" is what would be #bestforbusiness

Yes!

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Think I should add a "Click 'Save Draft'" message in the "How do I..." post about the new forums?

Would certainly not hurt anyone :P

that could work as well maybe . not sure if possible but maybe say be it editing or making a new topic . have like a (??) on top or off to the side as well too. this way no matter what it is always their and easy found with out very much work by both players and admin . kind of all in one deals . if the forums was php or php nuked it could be easy done with a script . not fully sure tho about here. #bestforbusiness

@Ohoni.6057 said:Have you guys considered that maybe "Vanilla" is an awful web forum package, and that it would be better to go with a different provider? There seem to be so many awful features to these new forums that the response is "we can't do anything to fix it."

No forum will be 100% perfect and there will always be features that we can't add because of limitations to the code.

Given that it can be turned off, I wouldn't recommend moving to a new forum so quickly.

Interesting, I have yet to have the "Draft Saved" notification get in the way of what I'm typing, but then again maybe I type so fast that I'm past the spot it pops up at, or I just move the screen up or down...since the pop up box stays in the middle of the screen, your actual forum post box can be anywhere on that screen, including above and below the location of the pop-up box...or did no one notice you don't need to be at the bottom to type?Another thing, once you actually hit the Post Comment box the forums should AUTOMATICALLY delete your drafts...you posted what you were typing, you don't need a draft anymore.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@Donari.5237 said:I'm not ready to vote because I need a third option: "Either way is fine, I can work around the popup box and it's sort of nice to have the backup, but I have other ways of not losing drafts." Or tldr "I'm fine with whatever the majority wants."That option is called "abstaining from vote"

I agree. I just wanted to point out that without an abstain/no strong feelings option in the poll, it's harder for ANet to judge if people saw the poll at all. And easier for others later to say "they only reached a tiny fraction of forum users, see, they got like ten responses, so they really aren't taking player wishes into account." I know if I were making a decision affecting many people, I'd like as many of those affected as possible to indicate they had a chance to weigh in and won't be upset no matter how I decide.

@Alga.6498 said:This is superuseful, I love the auto-save because dont we all have lost long texts sometimes or computer has crashed/disconnected?

This is a feature I want and wish to stay, atleast for those who want to.

Agreed. An option to turn it off for those who are (for whatever reason) unable to use an adblocker to hide the notification while not taking the feature away from those who like it would be way better than to disable it for everyone.

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@Alga.6498 said:This is superuseful, I love the auto-save because dont we all have lost long texts sometimes or computer has crashed/disconnected?

This is a feature I want and wish to stay, atleast for those who want to.

Agreed. An option to turn it off for those who are (for whatever reason) unable to use an adblocker to hide the notification while not taking the feature away from those who like it would be
way better
than to disable it for everyone.

Gaile has already stated the options are limited due to what Vanllia forums offers. So it is either on or off without other options you may want. I vote for off because I find it annoying and it isn't like the "Save Draft" button is hidden. It's right there by the "Post Comment" button.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I've learned from Vanilla that we are not [...] able to move the message to a different spot on the page.

Well, that's pretty (very pretty much) lame on Vanilla as it's purely a bad design choice. It IS possible from coding point of view, but if they state it's not then it seems Vanilla is just lazy to make that tweak, or they don't care and then don't see it as an issue at all. Any UI designer would have realized it as annoyance even before the system gets released. Popups for notifications only are very intrusive and an outdated design choice. It CAN be fixed with a simple CSS tweak (in fact, the class used for it has a "top: 50%; left: 50%", setting it to like 5% would put it on topmost left, setting to 95% would put it on bottom right).

@"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:and this is not php or php nuked . the best fix would be to remove it all together.

Yep, it's PhP. Even though the URL doesn't show any ".php" (that can be easily achieved through several mechanics) the server reports a "X-Powered-By: php" in the HTTP header, that's something that PhP always put in the response headers.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Another thing, once you actually hit the Post Comment box the forums should AUTOMATICALLY delete your drafts...you posted what you were typing, you don't need a draft anymore.

Yeah, that makes most sense. No reason to save a draft for something that you are already done.

P.S.: Ohhh, on the note about tweaking with CSS, here is a saver:

If you use Stylish, I went ahead and published a fixer on userstyles.org xD. Feel free to tweak it some more.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:We do have a manual "Save Draft" function, which is a nice alternative. I remember frequently reminding myself, on the old forums, to write outside the forum system, because we had so great a chance that the post would disappear. I'm confident that won't happen here, and the combination of a stable platform and a manual save feature works well for me.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:Just remove it please, it's super annoying especially when you decided not to post something, then come back to the same thread later and find something you want to reply to and there is still the saved draft you had a while ago because deleting drafts is annoying especially when you didn't even intentionally save them to begin with. I'd honestly prefer a "Save Draft" Button over the auto save feature but I usually write longer posts in a text editor beforehand either way, so I don't really need drafts at all.

If there's a manual button, then that should be fine. I do really like the auto save function however.

Deleting old messaging or having the pop-up is a minor inconvenience over saving progress. In my opinion anyway.

Archived