What if GW2 were to shut down?

46 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

My book backlog is running close to 2000, so it’ll be fond memories and “so long and thanks for all the fish”. I suspect the game will outlast me though!

Solid suggestion. Ive been meaning to reread the Black Company novels but struggle to find time.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Even if GW2 shut down there would still be other games. The real question is what would you do if they shut down the Black Lion Trading Post as that would actually effect your gameplay.

Evon would keep the Black Lion Company going far beyond GW2’s lifetime

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

"What if GW2 were to shut down?"

Honestly? Wouldn't care. Play it out of habit rather than enjoyment. It'd force me to actually do something meaningful instead of waste time on a nothing.

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

GW1 was basically a single player game that you could team up with other players, but could also do almost all of the content with henchmen & heroes.  So an offline (single player) mode would work fine for that.

But for GW2, an offline version would mean a huge amount of content just would not be playable - dungeons, fractals, strikes, raids, world bosses.  I suppose in some cases, a player could just buff themselves/debuff enemies (since it is now effectively single player, no one else would care).  But a bit of that multiplayer content has mechanics which a single player, even if infinite HP, would not be able to complete.  Now conceivably, that content could be changed, or cheat modes added, but that would require actual development effort which would seem unlikely to happen if there is not enough demand to keep the game running.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Even if GW2 shut down there would still be other games. The real question is what would you do if they shut down the Black Lion Trading Post as that would actually effect your gameplay.

For people who started playing at launch we already experienced more than enough of that

21 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

As a useless person I probably wouldn't have accomplished anything in those 10 years. But I could have ...

Not sure why I never travelled. I'm going to be one of those people that is born, lives and dies in a tiny corner of the world never seeing anything else.

You traveled all over Tyria instead.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I would hope for historical record purposes they have the moral fortitude to push for release of source code. Beyond that, much of this game's experience relies on high population organically finding each other. Without that, it's not the same game. So it would be nice to see its components preserved, but I'm not sure the experience can be.

• Sad 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, JayHog.3280 said:

Could probably end up trying FF14 online. Got another friend that keeps insisting to give it a try.

It's a good game from what I can tell...

IF, that is, you like the WoW style of gameplay. If you want something more GW2 style though then stay away. Also, they're charging a sub fee.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

It's a good game from what I can tell...

IF, that is, you like the WoW style of gameplay. If you want something more GW2 style though then stay away. Also, they're charging a sub fee.

From what I heard, you can have 1 free year of gameplay, doubt I'll need more than that to be able to experience it.

• Haha 1

Cant stand playing FF14 anymore, maybe go to Tera or some other action combat gameplay game. I have a specific type of gameworld and combat system I enjoy, and most games leave both flat. People say Lost Ark is good come check it out. So i did ,not for me no thanks. I absolutely hate the movement in that game and the lack of free world camera, and all the spells look the same. GW2 is def unique , just hope the devs do more with it.

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seeing that arenanet is owned by ncsoft the likely scenario if they decide that they aren't bringing in enough profits is similar to what happened to wildstar and city of heroes. Basically the studio gets nuked from orbit on very short notice. Nothing comes out as open source (because there is no time) and ncsoft hordes the IP rights forever.

Which means everything done in this game just goes poof. Some years down the line a private server that has been reverse engineered to work with the client will probably pop up. It will be extremely limited and kind of niche at that point as most people will have moved on to other games. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Consider this. I am already back to playing a formerly full time MMO, thanks to this lull in content from the end of Icebrood and post-EoD. GW2 closing would be a loss. But I would move on.

I am already dedicated to the plan that if they make GW3 (abandoning GW2 in the process) or they shut down servers entirely, I would never look back at Anet or NCSoft. Both City of Heroes and GW2 would be enough for me to treat NCSoft and anything it has a part in a hostile entity.

45 minutes ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

Seeing that arenanet is owned by ncsoft the likely scenario if they decide that they aren't bringing in enough profits is similar to what happened to wildstar and city of heroes. Basically the studio gets nuked from orbit on very short notice. Nothing comes out as open source (because there is no time) and ncsoft hordes the IP rights forever.

Which means everything done in this game just goes poof. Some years down the line a private server that has been reverse engineered to work with the client will probably pop up. It will be extremely limited and kind of niche at that point as most people will have moved on to other games. 

You do know that city of heroes is back right?

Search for city of heroes homecoming

31 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that city of heroes is back right?

Search for city of heroes homecoming

I know about it, yes. There is also a work in progress wildstar private server around. But it has taken years for these to pop up since the games were shut down along with their studios. 

• Confused 1

On 7/8/2022 at 7:16 PM, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Sometimes it's tough to think about the years spent and literally wasted.

If you had fun - was the time really wasted?

An eventual shutdown is inevitable, but not the end of the world (well... it would be the end of this world ha ha).  Initially I would just spend more time on my private Ultima Online server (it is more fun to code than to play). Eventually I would probably find another game, I guess.  I have been playing MMORPGs since 1997 and kind of getting tired of the repetition. I would love to see something new, but even I have no idea what that would entail. 😎