Guild Wars 3

Didn't the devs literally say there wasn't going to be a GW3 not long ago, like a year maybe?

I seriously doubt they're going to make an entirely new MMO when they can barely fund this one. If anything we'd get a single-player game set in the same world.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

There are 100s post om gamer sites and Reddit post around what seems to be gw3

There always have been, and we've already known this information for a long time. We've known one project was kept during the great purge that eliminated all side projects and half the staff, that they've been hiring for UE, and so on for a few years now (around the time of Icebrood Saga).

There's absolutely no confirmation that it has anything to do with a GW3; in fact the devs have been making many longevity changes to GW2 like the DX11 update, Steam release, etc.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We'll see I suppose.  Inevitably GW2's time will come to an end so one way or another I'd like this franchise's design philosophy, and preferably its setting as well, to continue on somehow otherwise I'll likely have to give up on MMOs as the common designs like gear treadmills and the like are unplayable for me.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

We'll see I suppose.  Inevitably GW2's time will come to an end so one way or another I'd like this franchise's design philosophy, and preferably its setting as well, to continue on somehow otherwise I'll likely have to give up on MMOs as the common designs like gear treadmills and the like are unplayable for me.

Not to mention if we indeed finished all the dragons, the main issue of the lore is solved. The world is finally safe-ish. What else can the devs do to continue without re-creating a whole new enemy faction?

Only thing I can imagine is that homecoming idea of an expansion to give closure to lots of things for the race you played. After that. I think the safe bet is making a new game that starts a whole new lore.

• Like 1

It can be a phone based card game for all we know. Or a Rytlock + Logan romance game, who knows. A single job posting doesnt really imply a new MMO. Pretty much all developers will want to at least get experience with UE5 now.

And even if Anet *is* working on GW3, as we have noted so many times, we can expect AT LEAST 3 years from the time they announce it. More realistically 5 years as was the case of GW1->GW2.

Also Anet still cannot fix a square cornerstone in WvW with an invisible mesh, going on 5, 6 or 7 years now (we dont even know anymore). Even UE5 with premades might be too complicated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

ANet excels in making questionable decisions, but they know a GW3 at this point in time would be really risky.

MMOs are hard to make and especially maintain. Believe it or not, that's why it's hard to keep an MMO truly F2P as well. MMO-scale servers are costly, about as much as having to release content updates, which also requires paying your developers for it.

That article is overly-speculative trash.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

With how the game runs they really should just do GW3 and let this one die. The engine is beyond repair, runs like absolute crap on the most high end of PCs, terrible lighting etc. Just go for UE5 and make something that is actually enjoyable, haven't gotten half way through EoD because the kitten poor performance just kills my mood for it. A PC that can run anything at 70-80FPS on 1440p ultra settings should not struggle with keeping this game at 30 FPS, seriously.

• Like 3
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Didn't the devs literally say there wasn't going to be a GW3 not long ago, like a year maybe?

IIRC GW3 was the rumoured project cancelled along with the swathes of lay-offs when MO left. Maybe they've restarted it, or more likely, gone in a different direction with the sequel. 

3 minutes ago, dace.8019 said:

IIRC GW3 was the rumoured project cancelled along with the swathes of lay-offs when MO left. Maybe they've restarted it, or more likely, gone in a different direction with the sequel. 

You're probably thinking about the Guild Wars mobile game project. Existence of GW3 in production was never confirmed. Not even unofficially.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You're probably thinking about the Guild Wars mobile game project. Existence of GW3 in production was never confirmed. Not even unofficially.

It wasn't officially GW3, it was an untitled project headed by MO that was using Unreal 4. The news that it was GW3 came from an anonymous insider that simply said it looked like it could have been GW3 (probably this).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

Gw3 1st person fingers crossed 

hehe

If its a shooter , then after 3 years , they will have assets for an MMO

Or use the same engine/library and create  2 games that are visual different (load different ui/WvW placebo character silluate / futuristic tanks mount looks like Turle with the WvW placebo silluatetechnology ,  for each player) , but shares the same population /space (pve shooter+standalone gw2 pvp server+Savage2/Natural Selection 2(RTS mode-building stuff) .

edit: for PvE

RTS can be played vs AI in the open maps like Starcraft , while the normal players are the "random x factor" that simply enjoy the spectacle and they get "daily events to kill things" .  In the easy mode , you are allied with the "random open world players  and you can try to order them them to guard an area + drop trenches that reduce damage by 50% , Or ignore them . While in hard mode "accidentally" they try to complete their normal quests , while killing you.

Every 2nd expanion , we have cross-over why different players have direferent skills and look corrupted (world are merging , who is to blame?)

For WvW/GW1/Planetside 2 capture areas :

can work between games (like a game inside a game) . Where are 3-7 limited "crusial" areas , for limited amount of players to play from each game .

While other minor areas , around that , for ingame-same-game battles

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rasgalinj.2763 said:

With how the game runs they really should just do GW3 and let this one die. The engine is beyond repair, runs like absolute crap on the most high end of PCs, terrible lighting etc. Just go for UE5 and make something that is actually enjoyable, haven't gotten half way through EoD because the kitten poor performance just kills my mood for it. A PC that can run anything at 70-80FPS on 1440p ultra settings should not struggle with keeping this game at 30 FPS, seriously.

That's not how using an engine for games work. 

See Bethesda for reference.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

It wasn't officially GW3, it was an untitled project headed by MO that was using Unreal 4. The news that it was GW3 came from an anonymous insider that simply said it looked like it could have been GW3 (probably this).

Those are indeed Guild Wars assets as you could see alot of them used in Cantha. Its more likely that the scrapped project was cannibalised into the latest expansion and the next Living World.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

They need to be able to adequately manage Gw2 first... and the last patch tells me they are struggling to maintain even that...

What last patch?

The problem here i think people dont understand how much dev time they take to make living world and those map that are just like fast food, do it a bit and thats it. It takes a lot. Instead of developing raids, new pvp modes, new pvp map, rework LFG etcetc...

Also what people dont understand is that Gw2 has made 17 million dollars in 1Q 2022 while WoW has made 160 million dollars and FF14 154 million dollars or so. Obiusly gw2 is good populated, but the difference in earning is vast.

I hope its not gw3, this has been abused till the extreme and wont sell good. I hope its a new game or gw1 remaster.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Thanks 3

I'm definitely not ready for a Gw3 for years to come. HoT drove me off years ago, EoD brought me back. I have since unlocked all PoF masteries, all central Tyria ones, all Icebrood saga ones. Still hard at work on the HoT and EoD ones. I still have to craft my 32 slot bags, I still haven't even started on legendary armor. All that will take years, albeit in a much more condensed form than if I had kept playing all the past years. So no, not ready for GW2 to go into low population maintenace mode like GW1 just yet. I haven't touched any of the large raids yet.

• Like 8

The year is 2050, GW3 releases as a mobile game with overly agressive monetising practices. There are no longer classes to choose from, only difficulty settings. On easy you play as a mechanist spamming 111, it is the highest damage option, as well as the preferred support option in all content. On normal mode you play as a firebrand, puking out every boon in existence while still doing respectable damage. On hard mode you play as an elementalist, this replaces all of your damage skills with animation-locked spells, as well as decreasing your HP by 50%, additionally every time you level your damage is halved by a new mechanic called "malicious balance patch".

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Wolfshade.9251 said:

The year is 2050, GW3 releases as a mobile game with overly agressive monetising practices. There are no longer classes to choose from, only difficulty settings. On easy you play as a mechanist spamming 111, it is the highest damage option, as well as the preferred support option in all content. On normal mode you play as a firebrand, puking out every boon in existence while still doing respectable damage. On hard mode you play as an elementalist, this replaces all of your damage skills with animation-locked spells, as well as decreasing your HP by 50%, additionally every time you level your damage is halved by a new mechanic called "malicious balance patch".

Sounds like 2022!  LOL :D

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Great news, I sincerely hope GW3 is being developed based on Unreal 5.

ANet just needs to listen to GW2 players feedback and GW3 will be awesome.

A lot of people are afraid of GW3 because they invested a lot in GW2 and they will be vocal against the upcoming GW3 but...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 11