The lottery of names

It has happened to me more than once that I wanted to build a character around a specific name, which had its own meaning, and to ascertain, at the time of attributing it, that it already existed. I think it would be very convenient, for me as well as for others, if there was a way to verify the pre-existence of a name before getting to the final stage of character creation. A sort of independent database, available online.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

I have seen someone suggest just skipping over all of the character creation until the end where you can check the name.  Once you find a name that isn't already taken, that you want, then step back through creation and start from the beginning.

I vote no for the independent database idea.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Justin Time.7054 said:

It has happened to me more than once that I wanted to build a character around a specific name, which had its own meaning, and to ascertain, at the time of attributing it, that it already existed. I think it would be very convenient, for me as well as for others, if there was a way to verify the pre-existence of a name before getting to the final stage of character creation. A sort of independent database, available online.

Please tell me you are a Chrono Main….

I would do what @Hashberry.4510noted.  It seems to be a good workaround.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Another benefit (which may not be relevant to everyone) of testing the name is you can see how your guild and friends will shorten it in chat, how people say it in voice chat and things like that.

I can't remember what it was now, but I gave up on one character name a few years ago because as soon as I got into the game I was greeted with a shortened version of it which I didn't like at all. Also no one could say it (it was Welsh).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Another benefit (which may not be relevant to everyone) of testing the name is you can see how your guild and friends will shorten it in chat, how people say it in voice chat and things like that.

Off topic but in my old DnD group the most time consuming part of character creation was picking a name that the other players couldn't easily nickname into oblivion. Gods forbid you ever name your character a variation of Richard.

• Haha 12

I wish they were easier to change after the fact. The name change is so overpriced (equivalent of like $10, IIRC, for a single character) and it's not like we can troll hiding behind name change anyway, since people can see your account name. I wish there was like a free one a month or something, anything so you can correct mistakes here and there without being stuck deleting a character or facing an absurd cost that prob isn't worth it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Justin Time.7054 said:

Like already mentioned above, friend- and blacklists can work for this well enough.

21 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Add an "H" anywhere in the name you like. 

Justin unavailable?

Jhustin

Juhstin

Justihn

Justhin

Sooo many options. 

Justhin sounds like a diet wafer cookie.

I also find your post hilarious in the context of your forum name.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 11

The Friends List or Block List check sounds like a very practical way to check w/out going through the creation process.  
But if the name you want is taken, try adding a surname, a title, a job title, or some combination.

Some of my guild mates decided to make a group of characters that were all family.  So we looked at several surnames, but went with a made up surname to ensure name availability.

Several of my human characters are from the same family, using a made up surname.

Asura tend to have job related titles, often colorful ones.  Would my Asura guardian be 'Guardian Gedd'? - no he's '*Protectomancer* Gedd' ("I have three degrees in Protectomancy, and I'm working on a fourth...")

My Norn revenant has the title "Spiritspeaker".

etc...

I would be nice if they put together a sticky thread with helpful name hints.  So many people have kindly given a lot of creative, practical name making advice over the years.  It would also be nice to have the friends list/block list check in there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Reminder: the OP isn't asking for names to be freed up or saying they have trouble coming up with an original name. They're asking for a way to check which of the names they're considering are still available so they can factor that in when designing a character suited to the name.

That's something I assume many of the people misreading the topic can understand - if you take the time to think up an original name instead of simply copying one from elsewhere you'll probably have a few variations or ideas in mind and want to make sure the one you pick fits the character. It's hard to do that within the character creator because you could waste a lot of time tweaking the character to fit the name then finding that version is taken, but if you find one that's available you're out of the character creator and can't change them.

For example I once made a charr whose last name was either going to be Goldcrest or Firecrest and I wanted her hair colour to match. I made the character to fit my first choice, but if it was taken I'd want to change that before exciting the character creator, so it would have been helpful to know the second version was free. Otherwise I'd stick with the original last name and hair colour and change her first name instead (which may have involved choosing another fur pattern instead).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You can add the name you're thinking of making to your friends/blocked list to check if it's available before committing to it. 

If it's a super common/famous name then the likelihood is that it's already taken and you need to be more creative (which is what 99% of these name threads are about).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:51 AM, Justin Time.7054 said:

Or, have the name selection at the start of the process.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Reminder: the OP isn't asking for names to be freed up or saying they have trouble coming up with an original name. They're asking for a way to check which of the names they're considering are still available so they can factor that in when designing a character suited to the name.

That's something I assume many of the people misreading the topic can understand - if you take the time to think up an original name instead of simply copying one from elsewhere you'll probably have a few variations or ideas in mind and want to make sure the one you pick fits the character. It's hard to do that within the character creator because you could waste a lot of time tweaking the character to fit the name then finding that version is taken, but if you find one that's available you're out of the character creator and can't change them.

For example I once made a charr whose last name was either going to be Goldcrest or Firecrest and I wanted her hair colour to match. I made the character to fit my first choice, but if it was taken I'd want to change that before exciting the character creator, so it would have been helpful to know the second version was free. Otherwise I'd stick with the original last name and hair colour and change her first name instead (which may have involved choosing another fur pattern instead).

Then then the OP should design and implement "A sort of independent database, available online" and pay for the site and maintain it or hire and pay someone to do so. If the OP said "I am going to set up a...... and  post the link when done" I would be impressed.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1