Why is there no Legendary Aquatic Headgear?

On 8/20/2022 at 5:36 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

hrm. since each armor profession can make a container does that mean 3 legendary "bags?"  cloth, leather, and metal strongbox?

I think of it more like legendary runes or trinkets with simply a single legendary bag, but able to select bag features instead of stats (i.e. basic, invisible,  siege master, oiled, etc). We should be able to add up to 10 to the armory, corresponding with the number of slots possible to unlock. I also think they should be able to be sold on the TP lake Gen 1 legendaries. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bag

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Well considering legendary is the same strenght as ascended and the 32 slot bag is ascended your either getting 32 slot or upgrading the existing bags to 50 since legendary is not better then ascended in any other slot.

Your mistake is assuming Arenanet are consistent.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Apparently there is an underwater arena for pvp, the map just isn't in the rotation. 

Many players like the idea of under-water combat, but they would be quiet frustrated to experience it.

I vaguely remember an underwater objective in world vs world you could try capturing that and then defending it from other factions.  Especially if you are running one of the classes that has poor aquatic skills.

They made an expansion with an ocean elder dragon, a leviathan boss, and fishing; yet they still didn't update aquatic fighting.  People had hoped EoD would bring competent, and competitive, sub-nautical combat to the game, it didn't happen. 

A legendary breather would raise the same expectations again. Though players may get over their disappointment just as quickly as when EoD didn't improve aquatic combat.

I know that there are players who want to be in full, full, legendary gear so Anet might as well make a legendary breather.  I expect the compleationists outnumber the water enthusiasts. 

IIRC the old Capricorn map had a water area you had to swim through to get to the common combat area and I wana say it had sharks in the water. Am I thinking of EARLY gw2 pvp or am I remembering a gw1 map. Honestly, I cant remember for sure, but I wana say it was EARLY gw2 before they redid the Loby, reward system, etc about 9-10 yr ago.

The water area was basically a noob trap.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:44 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Apparently there is an underwater arena for pvp, the map just isn't in the rotation.

There was, but it's not "not in the rotation", it was actively and willful taken out of it since Anet thought that underwater combat doesn't fit into PvP.

As somebody who has experienced and played this map back then I can tell you that it indeed felt way off and was massively unbalanced.

Then again it also makes you wonder why they had the foresight to remove it, then went a complete different approach with Spirit Watch, which they left in the game but took it out of ranked rotation only and STILL left "Forest of Niflhel" in ranked, though the two "Beast Kill"-Mechanics are unbalanced as f*ck as well.

• Confused 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

But we would just drown without it 😞

I remember thinking this might be a thing when the game was new, so I removed mine and swam underwater...and nothing happened. And due to underwater combat being so sparse in the game, I've largely stopped equipping aquabreathers on any new toons I've created since.

I used to play another game (OK, actually a MUD) where 1) drowning WAS a feature and also 2) encumbrance mattered, so if you were carrying too much equipment (or too much gold) and you tried to swim you sank like a stone. I think it would make this game a bit more interesting if those things were factored in...

Edited by Ronin.4501

2 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

I remember thinking this might be a thing when the game was new, so I removed mine and swam underwater...and nothing happened. And due to underwater combat being so sparse in the game, I've largely stopped equipping aquabreathers on any new toons I've created since.

I used to play another game (OK, actually a MUD) where 1) drowning WAS a feature and also 2) encumbrance mattered, so if you were carrying too much equipment (or too much gold) and you tried to swim you sank like a stone. I think it would make this game a bit more interesting if those things were factored in...

It matters at times in WvW, there's some underwater combat there. You don't drown without it but your armor rune set won't be complete nor will you have your full stats.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Is this what the game has come to?  "We need a Legendary item usable only in content that is severely underused and has been unsupported for more than half a decade."  Some people must be very desperate for things to occupy their time.

Hey some people are completionists, even when it comes to gearing. It's not "what the game has come to now", that's so dramatic. 

I won't lose sleep over it if we don't get it, but I will definitely get it, if they make legendary breathers. It's just about the QoL for me. But I don't need it, it's a video game. I just would like to have it. Besides, you don't get to determine what people like to do.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

It matters at times in WvW, there's some underwater combat there. You don't drown without it but your armor rune set won't be complete nor will you have your full stats.

It largely depends on what aspects of the game you focus on. I spend 97% of my time in WvW (where U/W combat is far rarer than in PvE; fights in the water at Bay happen about as often as a precursor drop lol) and I have legendary runes (so I sold off all my normal rune sets). Unless Anet adds a legendary aqua-breather and adds more U/W content, I'm not going to bother making a 7th legendary rune (making the 6 was painful enough!!).

13 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Is this what the game has come to?  "We need a Legendary item usable only in content that is severely underused and has been unsupported for more than half a decade."  Some people must be very desperate for things to occupy their time.

Unsupported for more than half a decade? Is there sudden lack of mobs to fight underwater? Was there no "Levi farm" added with eod? Seems to me there are still reasons for people to use underwater gear, even if I personally don't exactly care about it that much.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

It largely depends on what aspects of the game you focus on. I spend 97% of my time in WvW (where U/W combat is far rarer than in PvE; fights in the water at Bay happen about as often as a precursor drop lol) and I have legendary runes (so I sold off all my normal rune sets). Unless Anet adds a legendary aqua-breather and adds more U/W content, I'm not going to bother making a 7th legendary rune (making the 6 was painful enough!!).

Under water your rune set is only complete if you have a breather with the correct rune in it. That has nothing to do with legendary runes or regular ones. And besides, even if Anet were to bring out legendary breathers you are not required to make a 7th.

What I'm talking about in WvW where water combat can happen, is when you're running away when the other side caps the keep. That happens more often than a precursor drop. I wasn't talking about groups actually fighting it out under water.

There are various places also where people go under water to approach (unnoticed hopefully) objectives. At those times as well as when I run away from a lost fight, I can use all the bonuses I can get.

I also spend the vast majority of my time in WvW and every day I spend time under water for the reasons given above. I just don't want to be at a disadvantage there even though I don't spend a lot of time under water. You know that a 1v1 can happen at any time. I'm a scout/roamer btw.

And as I said, I would also be fine with Anet removing aqua breathers entirely. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Aquabreathers cannot be removed as people have already spent resources on getting ascended ones and, more importantly, a legendary 7th rune and swim infusion for them.

Removing the mechanic would have a graver affect than the gold wasted on endless repair canisters (which now are 100% useless).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 2/8/2023 at 11:10 PM, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Perhaps they simply want that content to stop being severely underused and unsupported for so long.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I know that there are players who want to be in full, full, legendary gear so Anet might as well make a legendary breather.  I expect the compleationists outnumber the water enthusiasts. 

I'm in the "make a legendary for each slot" camp. I want purple. Everywhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Yeah I mean Im in no rush but I wouldnt mind just for the heck of it. It wouldnt much less useful than the runes and sigils rly for many toons.

Yeah and it's not like people don't have underwater battles in bay in WvW all the time. I know anet likes to pretend UW combat doesn't exist, but it's unavoidable if you WvW. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1