Any one else find the character adventure guide irritating with level 80s? [Merged]

I just  made a new character. Definitely appreciating them as I level that character up lol. But I can see how it could be a little annoying as a level 80. Unfortunately I'm not sure the achievement system even has a way to differentiate between a new character and an old character; I figure it's just an account-based thing. 

1 hour ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

The new Character Adventure Guide gives out WAY too much experience. My friends and I have been really enjoying slowly leveling up and getting strong enough to survive in higher level zones while we explore the game (currently around level 50).

With this new patch we're suddenly having levels thrown at us. It trivializes all other parts of the game, finish a good fun event get 1000xp, teleport to a new place and suddenly 9000 xp for just teleporting? (from an achievement). In 4 minutes of play I gained 1.5 levels from just 6 of the new Character Adventure Guide achievements. We're going to rapidly out-level the zones we are in and be over-leveled for the next zones we wanted to do. It completely throws off the fun we were having exploring the game and earning our own sense of achievements and growth.

I honestly think they are a terrible idea for players who want to explore the original Tyria zones. Make them an optional extra perhaps, something people can toggle on and off.

You won't out-level the zones. Your characters are lowered in level and stats when you are outside the range of the zone and sub-zone.

The difference will be you are a little buffed if you have better equipment on (those are adjusted too but still you are better). Another difference is you have more skills available.

Regardless, even without the new achievements out-leveling the zones is a thing.

10 minutes ago, YourOnlyOne.4937 said:

You won't out-level the zones. Your characters are lowered in level and stats when you are outside the range of the zone and sub-zone.

The difference will be you are a little buffed if you have better equipment on (those are adjusted too but still you are better). Another difference is you have more skills available.

Regardless, even without the new achievements out-leveling the zones is a thing.

Sure, but the down-leveling leaves higher level characters more powerful than level appropriate characters. We already tend to play in zones slightly above our level to make it a challenge because it's very boring steamrolling things, you can't do that if you are overleveled, you have to go to new zones before you are ready (and once you reach level 80 that's it).

As you say, it was quite easy to out-level zones already...

The new character guide achievements make all of this way, way worse!

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Sure, but the down-leveling leaves higher level characters more powerful than level appropriate characters

They kind of need to, considering newer players can also easly outlevel zones (now even easier) and then they'll be downscale with gear noticably worse than the longer time exotic/asc gear players.

...unless they want to set a hard stat cap based on certain gear rarity (rare? exotic?), then maybe that's a potentially easy solution.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They kind of need to, considering newer players can also easly outlevel zones (now even easier) and then they'll be downscale with gear noticably worse than the longer time exotic/asc gear players.

...unless they want to set a hard stat cap based on certain gear rarity (rare? exotic?), then maybe that's a potentially easy solution.

To clarify, I'm fine with how down-leveling works. In fact being able to easily play with characters of different levels is awesome.

I'm just not happy that ArenaNet seems to have decided everyone needs to rush to level 80 much faster now with no way to disable it. We were happier how it was...

• Like 9

For some thing it is really weird: You can't track them (no eye icon I think ... probably the UI only works for global account achievements) ... and then some pop up after every kill. Others count silently. At least they could have made the popup only after completing a tier or fully completing the achievement.

• Like 1

I can understand the annoyance of it for sure but look at the benefits of it.

Aside from all that extra EXP which is just free shards for every existing lvl 80 character.

These achievements are character based.. not account based!!

That is something we have not really seen in Gw2 before and it opens some interesting doors for future achievements.
Some people have wanted character based achievements for a long time, I can't say I was ever one of them but I also can't say I dislike this either.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with character based achievements and potentially repeatably earnable rewards as well.
I think there's definitely something here to work on and expand in the coming years, but we'll see what Anet does.

• Confused 2

After a little more playing the character adventure guide is really annoying me now. I thought it was bad enough but that's when I thought it was probably only going to give 10 levels total. That's before I found out each Adventure Experience Award gives you two levels on it's own. It's looking more like 20-25 levels from the Character Adventure Guide. That's going to carry me to level 80 when I'm still trying to enjoy the 50-60 zones, haven't even done my level 50 story mission yet. I've gone from level 52 to 56 in literally 11 minutes of play because of the last few Volume One rewards.

Maybe it makes sense for new characters to help get them from level 1 to level 30 fast, but it sucks for level 50 characters being thrown up to level 80 before they want to be there.

So broken and OP.

• Like 2

I logged in and got a bunch of notifications.

Clicked on it to see what it's about.

Wished again for a way to put achievement popups on ignore.

Logged off because there's no real content to do, just another checklists.

Edited by rune.9572
why do I have to fill this field
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 8/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

The new Character Adventure Guide gives out WAY too much experience. My friends and I have been really enjoying slowly leveling up and getting strong enough to survive in higher level zones while we explore the game (currently around level 50).

With this new patch we're suddenly having levels thrown at us. It trivializes all other parts of the game, finish a good fun event get 1000xp, teleport to a new place and suddenly 9000 xp for just teleporting? (from an achievement). In 4 minutes of play I gained 1.5 levels from just 6 of the new Character Adventure Guide achievements. We're going to rapidly out-level the zones we are in and be over-leveled for the next zones we wanted to do. It completely throws off the fun we were having exploring the game and earning our own sense of achievements and growth.

I honestly think they are a terrible idea for players who want to explore the original Tyria zones. Make them an optional extra perhaps, something people can toggle on and off.

A million times, this!!! Please, ArenaNet, for the love of all that is holy, give us a toggle! As stated above, some of us actually enjoy leveling the way you're meant to level in an MMO; we don't want 2k XP just for using the bank.

• Like 3

I posted this in another thread too.  I think that the Character Adventure Guide is a great addition for new players. But I am not a new player. My account is 8 years old and I am an altoholic. For me these popups from the Character Adventure Guide will now be a constant companion of my daily gameplay. I have 35+ characters, a third of them low level and I make new ones constantly.  Leveling up new characters is one of my main activities in the game. From now on a sizable chuck of my time in GW2 will be accompanied by constant pop ups at the side. I find this prospect very annoying and frustrating, since I find them too spammy and very disturbing.

Also I don't want the additional experience. For me the additional XP-gain from the Character Adventure Guide  is far too high. I like to level slowly via map completion and for me personally the XP gain until now was just perfect. With an 8 year old account I have tomes of knowledge en masse, but I never use them.  Until now the leveling speed was optional, the player could speed it up via tomes or choose not to.. Now it isn't any more.

I'd like

a) the option to disable the achievement popups for the Character Adventure Guide

b) get rid of the auto consume of the XP, make the consumtion of the XP reward optional.

c) Quite frankly idealy I would like to see the the option to opt-out of the Character Adventure Guide altogether, since I don't want to do it for every single character I already have (and will make in the future)

I have the feeling my GW2 playing experience has been changed quite a bit because of the Character Adventure Guide and honestly I don't like it. I am currently not looking forward to play the game with this addition.

Making the Character Adventure Guide optional for players who completed it once with one character would benefit everyone, new players and veterans alike, in my opinion.

Edited by aikatara.3462
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:34 AM, Lamont.5973 said:

Except its not just an hour or two.  There are 5 sets of guides.  I got through the first and thought "whew that is done" but then realized, "dang, there are four more sets"  and I have 7 or 8 level 80s i play.

And then they get reset daily to add insult to injury.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

After a little more playing the character adventure guide is really annoying me now. I thought it was bad enough but that's when I thought it was probably only going to give 10 levels total. That's before I found out each Adventure Experience Award gives you two levels on it's own. It's looking more like 20-25 levels from the Character Adventure Guide. That's going to carry me to level 80 when I'm still trying to enjoy the 50-60 zones, haven't even done my level 50 story mission yet. I've gone from level 52 to 56 in literally 11 minutes of play because of the last few Volume One rewards.

Maybe it makes sense for new characters to help get them from level 1 to level 30 fast, but it sucks for level 50 characters being thrown up to level 80 before they want to be there.

So broken and OP.

Perhaps the EXP should be static so that it can help boost new players to higher levels quicker but at higher levels these achievements just doesn't contribute that much.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:34 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Sure, but the down-leveling leaves higher level characters more powerful than level appropriate characters. We already tend to play in zones slightly above our level to make it a challenge because it's very boring steamrolling things, you can't do that if you are overleveled, you have to go to new zones before you are ready (and once you reach level 80 that's it).

As you say, it was quite easy to out-level zones already...

The new character guide achievements make all of this way, way worse!

I see. Yeah, that's true, it's way, way, way, much faster. Then you'll end up breezing through everything else, not much of a challenge, just hit the buttons.

• Like 1