Came back after a year. What's the most OP class to play now? (PvE)

torakun.9638

Mech is a flavor of the month espec which is really at risk for a nerf because all the guardian mains cry about it, I suggest you roll a guardian instead: all specs, incl. core, are top tier in at least 1 gamemode.

Can't go wrong in terms of ROI.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mech will be the flavor of the year, even until the next expansion.

Guards are in the sweet second. It's sweet because it's just as OP as mech. But having Mech take the blunt of the complaints, this gives less pressure for devs to nerf Guards. Such that devs who love guards can continue to be OP, but without the stress from shrieking players.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 8/29/2022 at 6:58 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

After watching my guild leader have a meltdown about the Golemancer Runes trolling us by punching the Orb on HT. I can safely say there is at least one (1) fight where Pmech is not optimal.

13 hours ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

Only bad ones

I really want to see you doing more dps than any good rifle mech as bsw on ANY of the eod strike CMs 🤭

20 minutes ago, ArjukKagrim.6049 said:

I really want to see you doing more dps than any good rifle mech as bsw on ANY of the eod strike CMs 🤭

I've done it as catalyst, but we have a real good firebrand and specter in our guild who make my life 10x easier. It's amazing what ele can do when it's not going downstate from random boss auto attacks. (It should REALLY have 15k hp. Since they keep turning it into melee bruisers). 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kuma.1503 said:

I've done it as catalyst, but we have a real good firebrand and specter in our guild who make my life 10x easier. It's amazing what ele can do when it's not going downstate from random boss auto attacks. (It should REALLY have 15k hp. Since they keep turning it into melee bruisers). 

No offense but then those mech didnt do a good job at all.

Moving because of mechanics (which is quite a thing in those CM's, except you never get them or ignore them for whatever reason) is kind of bad as a cata. And moving is irrelevant to mech.

• Confused 4

Mechanist is the most versatile class right now. Not that it kitten matters in a game where u have all classes lvl80 anyways after a while.

Mech is not op because it is better but because u have so many roles that u can play. PVE that is.

For WVW srapper is op, its a staple op specc. but crybaby here dont cry about that.

The crybabies here crying about not being "piano" and "nobody can do numbers" are shitters that, no offense, should not speak in terms of class balance. A class being op means that, speaking about dps classes like rifle mech, it doe sthe most damage. The most damage is not done by mechanist. I think thats untamed right now. Meaning a good player does more damage as untamed than as rifle mechanist in real world raids.

Then comes the argument but  "players"(meaning shitters, meaning themselves) wont reach those fable numbers on golem. Suprise, "shitters" wont get fable 30k rifle dps like on golem either.

So what does that mean? Is a class op because shitters perform the least bad on it? Cool, give shitters a class to play and enjoy content. But dont kitten and moan because u aren't capable to do a normal rotation on another class and do more damage.

Mechanist is op as a support(op as in best players that can play weaver as well as mechanis chose it because it is indeed best), really kitten broken it was and "anet balance mimimi" balanced that by a lot.

No class balance is an issue, except challenge modes u can do whatever and do well enough.

so what is op? OP is whatever u play well and have fun and therefore l2kittenplay and stop being a shitter on. Once u are good at your class u are op. then, once u are a good player then balance will have shifted and u have a set of lvl80chars to chose whatever meta requires to beat the hardest challenge modes. Right now, that has or had lots of engies..for support.

Edited by jan.7915
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

Meanwhile condi virt simple to play beats most everything else including mech, and can play at 1200 range if needed so where is the outcry over a high damage build here that has low skill requirement?  The only ones that have a right to complain are competitive players , golem means nothing. Initial burst means nothing, what are you sustaining? I have seen classes burst 150k in HT then drop into the 30s , burst is not a good measure to go on, and golem only shows you what can be with perfect boons perfect rotations on a target dummy. And hardstuck says the same low skill level can net you good numbers even with an LI build https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/mesmer/condition-virtuoso/?v=dueling

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Confused 2

On 8/31/2022 at 7:52 PM, Shena Fu.5792 said:

Guards are in the sweet second. It's sweet because it's just as OP as mech. But having Mech take the blunt of the complaints, this gives less pressure for devs to nerf Guards. Such that devs who love guards can continue to be OP, but without the stress from shrieking players.

LOL it's true and a few others although I'd not say AS OP as Mech due to mech's versatility in everything BUT close yeah, Mech definitely shields other classes from the hate. However I've seen this for years in most MMOs but GW2 esp there's always ONE class that is the scape goat of all things wrong with the game lol granted Mechs been that for a while now and that always builds more hate.

On 8/30/2022 at 6:49 AM, Artemis.8034 said:

Not really plenty of classes do more damage, i mean numbers dont lie

Numbers on real life average ppl doing actual pve encounters or just top 0.5% players grinding golem?

Edit: Numbers dont lie, but ppl often lie using numbers out of context 😉

Edited by Zunki.3916
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It super depends on what you want to do.

I'm  a returning player so it seems like

FOR PVP: (Note I do NOT know a lot about PvP so someone who knows more could say more especially about what spec is best at the PvP jobs of dps, support, duelist and roamer)

-Soulbeast

-Willbender

-Harbinger

PVE DPS:

-Condition Untamed

-Power Bladesworn

-Power Deadeye

Open World Solo:

-Mechanist

-Mirage

-Scourge

Support: Depends on your group but Firebrand, Mechanist and Scourge are pretty good for random pugs. Tempest and Druid are can be great healers.

• Confused 3

OP is a nebulous term.

Mechanist is comfy, idk if it pulls huge numbers. If pulling huge numbers and topping damage meters is OP's aim then Mech ain't it.

...I did also list Mech as good support and open world in separate areas though

(Also a year away isn't that long, I don't think you need to relearn the game from basics or anything. More complicated classes are accessible to someone who has only been away a year)

Edited by RadiantWolf.2058

On 8/31/2022 at 11:52 PM, Shena Fu.5792 said:

pls say FIREBRAND instead of Guard

Because Power WB and Dragonhunter are below trash tier rn

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, Artemis.8034 said:

Meanwhile condi virt simple to play beats most everything else including mech, and can play at 1200 range if needed so where is the outcry over a high damage build here that has low skill requirement?  The only ones that have a right to complain are competitive players , golem means nothing. Initial burst means nothing, what are you sustaining? I have seen classes burst 150k in HT then drop into the 30s , burst is not a good measure to go on, and golem only shows you what can be with perfect boons perfect rotations on a target dummy. And hardstuck says the same low skill level can net you good numbers even with an LI build https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/mesmer/condition-virtuoso/?v=dueling

It is super reliant on party buffs even things as simple as Swiftness are impossible to self maintain (70% max). You would be much better espousing the Virtues of Chronomancer since it has many self buffs which raises it over all benchmark when used in most content.

13 hours ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

It super depends on what you want to do.

I'm  a returning player so it seems like

FOR PVP: (Note I do NOT know a lot about PvP so someone who knows more could say more especially about what spec is best at the PvP jobs of dps, support, duelist and roamer)

-Soulbeast

-Willbender

-Harbinger

PVE DPS:

-Condition Untamed

-Power Bladesworn

-Power Deadeye

Open World Solo:

-Mechanist

-Mirage

-Scourge

Support: Depends on your group but Firebrand, Mechanist and Scourge are pretty good for random pugs. Tempest and Druid are can be great healers.

Dont be mistaken that if u see top 3 numbers on sc, those will be the best dps choices. In reality condi untamed has probably the highest apm in the game, all of the dps choices you picked have super punishing rotations and are melee. There is the reason why despite golem numbers those 3 dps choices are rarely picked for real encounters, because realisticly you wont get those benchmark numbers most of the time. Meanwhile u put mech and scourge for open world, but in reality those 2 are more likely to get picked for pve content especially mech(8/10 at strike cms;5+/10 at raids are always mechs), because they are easy to play, have no punishing rotation(well more like no rotation at all), those are the specs with absolutly 0 downsides, and are raaaanged which lets you to dps without any dps downtime  (says it all how poorly balanced this game is rn)so in reality mech and scourge will always outdps any "top benchmark"spec because how well it performs on the real encounters...

Edited by soul.9651
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:38 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

1) Mechanist

2) Mechanist

3) Mechanist

Correct

for PvE, rifle mechanist is an order of magnitude easier to hit top dps with than anything else.  Speaking as someone who does play it right now: it IS over-tuned for the difficulty of play and does need a bit of a nerf.  while it CAN be beat (as seen on the SC DPS numbers) the effort and skill required to beat a rifle mechanist with most everything else is out of reach and unrealistic for 99+% of the player base.

everything else on the snow crows list requires at least some effort, rotation, and practice to hit high dps numbers with.  though it is certainly varying as to how much effort they take.

in second place id say probably burn FB thanks to its easy rotation.  Does require some rotation learning and minimal effort though.

Third id say condi scourge.

Edited by Tammuz.7361
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, Artemis.8034 said:

1) this is a case of golem numbers being unrealistic, the build is very reliant on party buffs, which you cant get realistically playing at 1200 range, at that range it doesnt even self buff might.

2) and at mele range (where it can get the party buffs to actually put out those numbers) its not really superior in DPS nor easier to play when compared to most other mele DPS classes (IE: burn fb, condi scourge, condi harbinger, etc), and it is still a significant step up in difficulty compared to rifle mechanist.

Yeah its much easier to play if we are comparing it to mirage or catalyst (the later of which really needs a buff right now considering its extreme difficulty).  but compared to everything else mainstream out there right now, its not really that LI.

What is OP depends on you a bit. Easy mode event farming, meta trains, Fractals, Raids, PvP, WvW, etc.

Game mode means a lot, as does the role you want to play.

That being said, I would classify OPness as a combination of versatility with nerf-proofness. It's highly likely that Engineer and Guardian will see some nerfs in the near term, especially with ANet's stated goal of more frequent balance passes.

So while right now those two may be the most ridiculous, it's likely that by the beginning of 2023 they'll be brought in line, or other professions uplifted to match.

Top 3:

1. Elementalist. Stay with me here. If you can succeed as an Ele, you can succeed at any profession. You've got high APM DPS (Weaver), Alacrity Heal Tempest, and Quickness Catalyst. And it seems with the most recent patch that finally, after a decade of nerfs the Ele may no longer be the downstate class going forward, and should see some love from ANet.

2. Ranger. Again, a somewhat maligned profession, but one that has unparalleled role diversity and build options.

3. Revenant. The poor cousin to the Guardian and Necromancer, and with a sometimes wonky profession design. But it brings good PvE buffs and boons, and with the right gear can dominate as a support, and is quite good in WvW as a ranged damage dealer.

Ideally, ANet would make all the different professions bring something unique to the table, with complimentary class mechanics and integrated tradeoffs rather than just boon vomit across the board. But given their ham-fisted handling of balance over the years, it MAY be a good idea to pick a "main" based on playstyle, lore, or even oddly enough just what you enjoy rather than OPness which could change at any time without warning.

• Confused 2