Gathering poll about postprocessing on graphics

Minux.2416

Postprocessing data research  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you select on postprocessing? (Game Options or Wheel -> Graphics Options -> Postprocessing)

• Default setting (I don't bother about it)
    • High
    • Low
    • None
    • It depends (on the mood, on the day, on anything else :P)
    • More violets I say, less violence!
    • Another choice I probably did not think :P

Hello! As an aspirant to the savant title and an asura engineer I wanted to do some research and gather some data towards the option you usually choose on postprocessing. If you find it convenient, please write why you like it that way. (this is just a research poll, so any opinion counts, being good, bad, handy, even the fun ones lol)

I will start with my choice. I used to leave postprocessing option in High, as I didn't even know it existed at first. When I discovered the option, I started wondering which setting should I leave by default. After some time doing my personal research, I found to me I had to put it on None. I play a lot and I found myself blind through a lot of lighting scenes. That changed after putting postprocessing on none. I also feel like now I get more of the details, and I'm not really a huge fan of the bloom. I also don't like the outlines around the characters 😛 To me it's more attracting when I see the character just with a highlight.

So my choice states for: None

• Like 2

I have mine set to high, which I think is what my last 2 computers defaulted to. I've played with it off at various times, either just to see how it looks or because I was having performance problems (once my graphics card broke and I had to turn everything down to the minimum to play the game at all) and I think some maps do look better that way but mostly I prefer it on and I don't care enough to keep changing it. I'm not sure I'd even remember which maps I prefer it off without checking each time.

The only time I remember deliberately tuning it off was when fighting Liadri because there's one attack which either changes all the colours or covers the screen in something so it's impossible to see what's going on for a few seconds, and with post processing off that doesn't happen.

15 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Don't remember ever playing this, so assumed I was set to Default... which I assumed was "High" based on my interpretation of your intro... but I see mine is set to "Low"... Regardless, I will play with this and see if I have a preference. 

I think it changes based on your PC. Post processing can be pretty demanding for your graphics card so the game will set it to what it thinks your PC can handle.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The high setting has bit too much bloom for my liking so I have it on low. On the other hand the off setting has too many jagged edges. I also have light adaptation turned on and the default monitor brightness/contrast tuned down. Most monitors are way too bright at the default settings.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Post-Processing/Bloom and Anti-Aliasing are unrelated. If you have "jagged edges", you need to turn on Anti-Aliasing to smooth them out.

I am using the Antialiasing FXAA setting. When I turn Postprocessing off I can definitely see the sharpness of edges better - that is what I meant. FXAA + PP on low is the best performance vs quality setting (for me).

• Confused 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:58 AM, devastoscz.9851 said:

Have it turned off and using a custom Reshade profile to enhance colors/outlines/effects of the game, making the game look SO much better.

Here, have some LA screenshots to compare with and without my custom Reshade Profile
Without Reshade (No Postprocessing)

With Reshade

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a way to run both Reshade and ArcDPS at the same time so Reshade will have to go for now.

Ever since I learned how to remove the outlines around characters back at first launch, I have kept post prossessing at NONE. The outline made me feel like my character was a cardboard cutout & ruined my immersion in both my character & the story/world. I do not care what else I lose that is connected to the post processing "NONE" choice, lol. Those outlines were a game breaker for me!

I love this game very much and enjoy my time in Tyria immensely WITHOUT the green outlines :)

• Thanks 1

While I'd like to have some of the elements rolled into post-processing (like some special effects), the bloom/glare, blur and general brightness genuinely gives me eye pain and a headache. Just makes the game somehow both too vibrant and washed out at the same time, all while being blinding.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, Samfisher.7942 said:

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a way to run both Reshade and ArcDPS at the same time so Reshade will have to go for now.

PSA: DX11 + Reshade + Arcdps + Shadowplay is now all compatible.

Preparation  process
-1.) Open your GW2 directory, delete everythingexcept for GW2.exe and GW2.dat
( Remember to save your current 'reshade-shaders' folder and any presets.ini you have any already)
0.) Select DX11 in graphics options in GW2 then exit the game.
---------
Installation process:
1.) Install Reshade
a.) if you have any older/legacy effects saved and your reshade presets, put them in the the directory after installing.
2.) Start game, build shader cache, select preset.

3.) Arcdps
a.) Download DX11 version from site.
b.) Place it on the main directory (next to Gw2/Gw2-64 executable). DO NOT PLACE IN BIN64

Sometimes antivirus/antimalware software interferes with stuff, try shutting it down while you install and test this. I only use Windows Defender, it doesn't cause any problems at all.

7 hours ago, devastoscz.9851 said:

PSA: DX11 + Reshade + Arcdps + Shadowplay is now all compatible.

Preparation process
-1.) Open your GW2 directory, delete everythingexcept for GW2.exe and GW2.dat
( Remember to save your current 'reshade-shaders' folder and any presets.ini you have any already)
0.) Select DX11 in graphics options in GW2 then exit the game.
---------
Installation process:
1.) Install Reshade
a.) if you have any older/legacy effects saved and your reshade presets, put them in the the directory after installing.
2.) Start game, build shader cache, select preset.

3.) Arcdps
a.) Download DX11 version from site.
b.) Place it on the main directory (next to Gw2/Gw2-64 executable). DO NOT PLACE IN BIN64

Sometimes antivirus/antimalware software interferes with stuff, try shutting it down while you install and test this. I only use Windows Defender, it doesn't cause any problems at all.

Thanks, this sequence worked!

• Like 1