Guild Wars 2 Balance Philosophy

Rubi Bayer.8493

I'll just pop in to tell my fellow forum users: yo, stop targeting specific devs and give useful feedback for a change xD as in specific ideas, with actual purpose and with kinder words. Devs are human beings for kitten's sake...

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 10

2 hours ago, Uete.3805 said:

I'll just pop in to tell my fellow forum users: yo, stop targeting specific devs and give useful feedback for a change xD as in specific ideas, with actual purpose and with kinder words. Devs are human beings for kitten's sake...

It's been my experience that when general feedback doesn't get addressed and communication becomes unresponsive, players then start calling out those in charge. The reason you're seeing this is because players feel ignored, so they started pointedly asking for help. 

Just like when you go to customer service with a problem. If you get a sea of dumbfounded faces from general staff, then you ask for the manager. Or when you ask a question to a crowd and no one answers, you start picking "volunteers." 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

13 hours ago, Uete.3805 said:

I 100% agree with this. Personally I try to keep things positive even when there is something that I dislike.

There will always be players who dislike X or Y or change in general. I work in tech, albeit in a non gaming field, but I can't imagine what it would be like to sift through it all.

I see things as mostly being positive in the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9

8 hours ago, ZeroTheRuler.7415 said:

I see things as mostly being positive in the last few years.

Its relative to what you play.

If you play only Mesmer its been a grief circus for example consistently for years. 

There are a lot of things they've done well, but it also magnifies the problem areas bc of how drastic and different said experiences are.

Personally they haven't recovered from Jun 2022 balance update in terms of product happiness for me. I've found the game less and less enjoyable ever since, but all I'm asking for is a fun experience again. 

Great example is counterplay is mentioned. Which has basically all been removed from Virtuoso imo. You used to have a decent chunk of it, your f5 was constant in competitive situations. Now its basically spam rotation and zero counterplay at all. 

Balance philosophy is anything but fun right now.

Its exhausting.

Edited by Voyant.1327
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

My response,

“Once you change your philosophy, you change your thought pattern. Once you change your thought pattern, you change your attitude. Once you change your attitude, it changes your behaviour pattern and then you go on into some action.”

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8

On 1/18/2024 at 11:44 AM, Voyant.1327 said:

Its relative to what you play.

If you play only Mesmer its been a grief circus for example consistently for years. 

There are a lot of things they've done well, but it also magnifies the problem areas bc of how drastic and different said experiences are.

Personally they haven't recovered from Jun 2022 balance update in terms of product happiness for me. I've found the game less and less enjoyable ever since, but all I'm asking for is a fun experience again. 

Great example is counterplay is mentioned. Which has basically all been removed from Virtuoso imo. You used to have a decent chunk of it, your f5 was constant in competitive situations. Now its basically spam rotation and zero counterplay at all. 

Balance philosophy is anything but fun right now.

Its exhausting.

Heres the thing, Balancing done right means unbroken builds are either left untouched or improved, whereas overpowered build are tuned to bring into line with Power budget.  The fundamental issue with some of the recent balance decisions is that they have failed in this regard.  Ive personally had a couple of non meta underpowered but viable Builds  ruined by unintended side effects by poor balancing decisions where clearly all stat combinations have not been considered for all weapons impacted by a change. 

2 Things need to happen with balancing, Smaller faster more reactive changes, and better impact analysis on the side effects of changes.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Heres the thing, Balancing done right means unbroken builds are either left untouched or improved, whereas overpowered build are tuned to bring into line with Power budget.  The fundamental issue with some of the recent balance decisions is that they have failed in this regard.  Ive personally had a couple of non meta underpowered but viable Builds  ruined by unintended side effects by poor balancing decisions where clearly all stat combinations have not been considered for all weapons impacted by a change. 

2 Things need to happen with balancing, Smaller faster more reactive changes, and better impact analysis on the side effects of changes.  

Happened to me too. Twice in the last year. They made some broad, sweeping nerfs that cut too hard to bring overperforming meta builds in line, and they also made more specific buffs to bring the meta options back up to par. But what happened to the off-meta options that the nerf hit? Nothing. No buffs to bring them back to viable, even though these weren't the options overperforming. So my builds became a casualties of poorly balancing the meta, because that's all they seem to care about.

I mean, why apply nerfs so broadly they cut everything, but only buff the already overpowered options? If a specific build is overperforming, why not just nerf the the most narrowly-applied option that makes it OP? Then underperforming builds would still remain viable and promote build diversity. I just don't understand the balancing strategy here. It really makes me think the current dev team is just a bunch of meta fanboys.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Happened to me too. Twice in the last year. They made some broad, sweeping nerfs that cut too hard to bring overperforming meta builds in line, and they also made more specific buffs to bring the meta options back up to par. But what happened to the off-meta options that the nerf hit? Nothing. No buffs to bring them back to viable, even though these weren't the options overperforming. So my builds became a casualties of poorly balancing the meta, because that's all they seem to care about.

I mean, why apply nerfs so broadly they cut everything, but only buff the already overpowered options? If a specific build is overperforming, why not just nerf the the most narrowly-applied option that makes it OP? Then underperforming builds would still remain viable and promote build diversity. I just don't understand the balancing strategy here. It really makes me think the current dev team is just a bunch of meta fanboys.

Well, it's not that easy, and I hate that I have to defend Anet here but I do.

Back in GW1 we had a VERY limited pool of traits to invest in. Myself being a Me/Mo, my traits as you would know them today were Fast Casting, Illusion, Domination, Inspiration, Healing, Protection, and Smiting. And we had LOTS of skills from all of those and each one was tied into those lines. Your Domination spells were affected only by Domination, your Smiting spells were only affected by Smiting, and so if a skill was overperforming then you could address that skill individually, or if the whole like was underperforming you could adjust at the trait level. Super simple, and GW1 had GREAT balance.

GW2 can't do that. The problem is that when you play, say, Mirage, whether it's Power Mirage, Condi Mirage, or AlacHeal Mirage, they all share the same traits even though they're trying to do the same thing. So how can you possibly balance that? It's not an unfortunate side effect that all of our PvE builds are getting nerfed into the ground as they keep balancing off golem benchmarks, it's literally impossible to avoid. So what can we do?

Fortunately, the answer there is actually easy: STOP USING BENCHMARKS. No, really, that's IT. Start using other metrics to balance and things will get so much better. And I know because I DO this. I develop games myself, I do my own balancing. It should not be hard to either use or write a program to find out how much everything is used. What weapons are most and least used, what professions are most and least used, what skills are most and least used, and then look into WHY. The problem with that is that takes time and NCSoft/Arenanet are corporations, so time is money. That's why the benchmarks are being used. It's the fastest way to balance the game even though it's balancing the game as well as slapping F1 tires on your pickup truck. Yes, you've managed to change your tire in 1.24 seconds. And now your truck drives like a wreck. Welcome to the current state of GW2.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Back in GW1 we had a VERY limited pool of traits to invest in. Myself being a Me/Mo, my traits as you would know them today were Fast Casting, Illusion, Domination, Inspiration, Healing, Protection, and Smiting. And we had LOTS of skills from all of those and each one was tied into those lines. Your Domination spells were affected only by Domination, your Smiting spells were only affected by Smiting, and so if a skill was overperforming then you could address that skill individually, or if the whole like was underperforming you could adjust at the trait level. Super simple, and GW1 had GREAT balance.

GW2 can't do that. The problem is that when you play, say, Mirage, whether it's Power Mirage, Condi Mirage, or AlacHeal Mirage, they all share the same traits even though they're trying to do the same thing. So how can you possibly balance that? It's not an unfortunate side effect that all of our PvE builds are getting nerfed into the ground as they keep balancing off golem benchmarks, it's literally impossible to avoid. So what can we do?

Fortunately, the answer there is actually easy: STOP USING BENCHMARKS. No, really, that's IT. Start using other metrics to balance and things will get so much better. And I know because I DO this. I develop games myself, I do my own balancing. It should not be hard to either use or write a program to find out how much everything is used. What weapons are most and least used, what professions are most and least used, what skills are most and least used, and then look into WHY. The problem with that is that takes time and NCSoft/Arenanet are corporations, so time is money. That's why the benchmarks are being used. It's the fastest way to balance the game even though it's balancing the game as well as slapping F1 tires on your pickup truck. Yes, you've managed to change your tire in 1.24 seconds. And now your truck drives like a wreck. Welcome to the current state of GW2.

That's exactly what I am talking about. The devs balance around meta builds partially developed from benchmarks without considering other metrics or game modes. I used to build rulesets for TTRGP games. When balancing, you cause less waves when you cut specific pieces of a build instead of components broadly-used across several builds. It's both more effective at targeting overtuned builds and less likely to have unintended impacts to lesser builds. Start specific and only go broad when several builds are overperforming, which is rather rare in this game, since most builds are made of many small boosts that require specific synergy.

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

metrics for classes are pretty much set in stone. guardian will always be golden child of anet, end of story. https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics . the only way metrics will reflect what would need direct attention would be looking at "WHY" players dont play specific classes or why they do. if something overperforms it could bring more to it so they could look into it more and on why. GM's can go invisible if they need a direct report

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

metrics for classes are pretty much set in stone. guardian will always be golden child of anet, end of story. https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics . the only way metrics will reflect what would need direct attention would be looking at "WHY" players dont play specific classes or why they do. if something overperforms it could bring more to it so they could look into it more and on why. GM's can go invisible if they need a direct report

There's a lot to unpack there.

First off, the Guardian being the golden child. I'm not about to argue with you, I agree with you. But it speaks to a whole different problem. We're talking about balancing the professions but that's not going to even be possible until you get people that want to do it. And those are the people that should be doing it. If you DON'T want to do it, which the current team doesn't seem to want to, those people should be FIRED and replaced, and if the next devs don't do the job they should be fired too. If I get a job at McDonalds and refuse to put cheese on burgers because I think they're better without cheese, I'm getting fired. I'm not doing the job. neither are they. And so we can see a cascade of failures all the way up the chair because the buck stops at the top, but it indicts everyone under them that let the buck get to the top in the first place. If you care about your product, you will do what you need to to keep it going. Such as it is, I think we can only assume that they don't care.

Then there's what you said about looking at the why players don't play specific professions or Especs, which I feel like was more or less just repeating what I said, so I'll repeat you repeating what I said, and then you can repeat my repeating of your repitition. Repiception. But tying it back to what I said above, you need people that care, and you need an enviroment where they can take the time to do it. I stated in a previous post that they're most likely using things like Snowcrows because it's the fastest, most efficient way for them to tweak their balance patches, even if it is -completely- wrong. And I'm sure they're doing that because the higher ups are breathing down their neck "Get the next balance patch done by the end of the week or else you're getting written up." Again, a failure all the way up the chain. Even if the devs did care about really balancing the game they doubtfully have the time to do it, and so they probably stop caring and just say "What's the strongest build in the game? Nerf it. Save, publish, close." I don't know anyting about GMs going invislble but I don't think they would need to. There's nothing stopping the devs from hopping on a character and running, I dunno pick something, the Svanir Shaman with all the other players and saying "Hmm, maybe this is a bit too spongey" or running a little WvW and getting ganked, pulling up that players build and saying "Hmm, maybe something here could be tweaked." That takes time though, time I'm sure they're not being afforded. I don't have any good solutions though. Like I said, this is a failure that goes all the way up the chain. We want to hold the devs accountable, but what about their superiors? The lead designers? The heads of the game? The board? I don't know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

There's a lot to unpack there.

First off, the Guardian being the golden child. I'm not about to argue with you, I agree with you. But it speaks to a whole different problem. We're talking about balancing the professions but that's not going to even be possible until you get people that want to do it. And those are the people that should be doing it. If you DON'T want to do it, which the current team doesn't seem to want to, those people should be FIRED and replaced, and if the next devs don't do the job they should be fired too. If I get a job at McDonalds and refuse to put cheese on burgers because I think they're better without cheese, I'm getting fired. I'm not doing the job. neither are they. And so we can see a cascade of failures all the way up the chair because the buck stops at the top, but it indicts everyone under them that let the buck get to the top in the first place. If you care about your product, you will do what you need to to keep it going. Such as it is, I think we can only assume that they don't care.

Then there's what you said about looking at the why players don't play specific professions or Especs, which I feel like was more or less just repeating what I said, so I'll repeat you repeating what I said, and then you can repeat my repeating of your repitition. Repiception. But tying it back to what I said above, you need people that care, and you need an enviroment where they can take the time to do it. I stated in a previous post that they're most likely using things like Snowcrows because it's the fastest, most efficient way for them to tweak their balance patches, even if it is -completely- wrong. And I'm sure they're doing that because the higher ups are breathing down their neck "Get the next balance patch done by the end of the week or else you're getting written up." Again, a failure all the way up the chain. Even if the devs did care about really balancing the game they doubtfully have the time to do it, and so they probably stop caring and just say "What's the strongest build in the game? Nerf it. Save, publish, close." I don't know anyting about GMs going invislble but I don't think they would need to. There's nothing stopping the devs from hopping on a character and running, I dunno pick something, the Svanir Shaman with all the other players and saying "Hmm, maybe this is a bit too spongey" or running a little WvW and getting ganked, pulling up that players build and saying "Hmm, maybe something here could be tweaked." That takes time though, time I'm sure they're not being afforded. I don't have any good solutions though. Like I said, this is a failure that goes all the way up the chain. We want to hold the devs accountable, but what about their superiors? The lead designers? The heads of the game? The board? I don't know.

The sad truth is e only bought a license to play gw2, we aren't owed anything however they will only balance things that keep people playing and paying. At any point when someone gives feedback that they use they can not legally give that player credit for the idea. This means it's thier game in the end and they can do what they want.  They control the game and it's going to be their prerogative on what and when to balance because they get to see the bigger picture when players only get a limited view of it.  

It's sad to say but I don't think we've come up with anything valuable a far as changes or adjustments for any class so it hasn't been done.  Then you have what is in their budget to achieve among other projects

Edited by Lithril Ashwalker.6230
  • Confused 2

I think the main issue here is the lack of direction for the game as a whole respectively the constant shifts and changes to it. Over the past 11+ years there's been so many chasing of ideas, some better, some worse, but ultimately almost everything was layed down at one point in favor for something new. Now add to it that they apparently learned nothing from GW1 (the more skills and traits you add, the more combinations are possible, the harder balancing will be; yet they kept adding E-Specs and now to top it off the weapon mastery) and we have the current mess.

I fail to see how this could ever change unless they finaly decide what they want GW2 to be and stick to that direction.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

WVW answer only.
Regarding your balance philosophy ...

we want to capitalize on the depth of the combat system to build a fluid and fast-paced combat experience that allows players to express their mastery of mechanics. We also want to create a substantial number of viable build options and allow for a broad set of combat strategies in order to enable a wide range of playstyles.

Most of important spells have a reduced range between 'melee' and '300' , so it pushes players to stagnate, to not to move ...
is this really subtle ?
does it really tend towards a nice combat experience ??
does a wide range of playstyles or a broad set of combat strategies exist in melee ???

We want to ensure that there are builds for every profession that require less mastery to be effective

Spam skill is the new mechanic to avoid time cooldown.
So it's true, the efficiency/mastery couple is restricted to reduce the ability difference between players.

Well, we have turn from skills levels to spamming war(hardware difference & server ping difference).
Here we are 🤮

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, hook.8479 said:

WVW answer only.
Regarding your balance philosophy ...

Most of important spells have a reduced range between 'melee' and '300' , so it pushes players to stagnate, to not to move ...
is this really subtle ?
does it really tend towards a nice combat experience ??
does a wide range of playstyles or a broad set of combat strategies exist in melee ???

Spam skill is the new mechanic to avoid time cooldown.
So it's true, the efficiency/mastery couple is restricted to reduce the ability difference between players.

Well, we have turn from skills levels to spamming war(hardware difference & server ping difference).
Here we are 🤮

I did not realize it had been this bad for the last 3 years. Boy, noone even bothers to dodge anymore. Just boon spam and attack spam on top of one another. How about implementing Social Awkwardness but with half the radius to reduce this boon stacking situation?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

build a fluid and fast-paced combat experience 

Oh yeah anet, good job turning it into a boon spam skill lag experience instead. 🤭

Fights where everyone stands 1 feet away from each other and pewpew until some people die, enough to clear up the skill lag so the rest of the group falls over... eventually. Brilliant way to raise TTK.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 10/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Combat Depth and Build Complexity

Guild Wars 2 has a deep combat system, and players have a very wide range of mastery of its mechanics. To put things simply, we want to build a game that is both rewarding and accessible for all types of players.

We want to design builds that allow players with a high level of mastery to demonstrate their prowess and be appropriately rewarded in terms of effectiveness. At the same time, we want to ensure that there are builds for every profession that require less mastery to be effective. These builds should allow players to succeed in parties and clear content, while still having room for them to improve their mastery over the combat system and increase their effectiveness.

This is also an important consideration for balance in competitive game modes, as the builds that are effective can vary significantly between different levels of mastery. Our goal is to create a fun and diverse metagame for as many players as possible, and that involves addressing builds that are problematic at any level, even if they aren't problematic at every level. When bringing down a build that only overperforms at a particular level, we'll try to target changes to minimize the impact on other levels or attempt to otherwise compensate in a way that is less problematic at the targeted level.

This does not Exist in this game.
The entire game reloves around invulnerability windows either defensive (blind, dodge, etc) or offensive (stunt, daze, pulls, etc). The game revolves round poping your invulnerability window at the right time and unloading on your opponent.

One can characterize split second desition making (which graphics dont help) as skill, sure, but lets not pretend its "deep".

This was not always the case, there used to be such a thing as bunker builds. It was decided long ago, based on a small percentage of the population's feed back with disproportional influence, while also pursuing an esport agenda that has since been dropped, that this would not be the case any more.

Edited by Apolo.5942
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, FrancisN.9276 said:

I did not realize it had been this bad for the last 3 years. Boy, noone even bothers to dodge anymore. Just boon spam and attack spam on top of one another. How about implementing Social Awkwardness but with half the radius to reduce this boon stacking situation?

Did you think long-time players who were willing to stick around in a format with no real patches or rewards for ten years suddenly quitting the format in droves and making huge numbers complaint threads was for nothing?

Boons are BROKEN.  So broken that the time lost not casting boons or boon denial from being spent dodging with literal damage immunity is not worth it.  In current form, they fundamentally and utterly destroy the entire gameplay loop the game was built on and it's wildly evident in WvW and has been for years.  Nothing but cutting access and sharing will stop that.  But ANet doubled down and made boons into roles for PvE.  This is peak GW2 gameplay according to ANet's design decisions, and has been for quite a while.

And even Social Awkwardness is countered by boons lol.  Even boon strip/corrupt is countered by simply adding more boon sources, and all adding boon denial does is make it harder to make functional builds in smallscale because ANet keeps shifting everything to boons.  Stuff like Death Perception is now boons.  You can't NOT have them in a build without said build being objectively bad.  It's boons, boons, and more boons, all the way down.

It's why I no longer play and why my guild no longer really plays.  I came for fluid and dynamic PvP combat with clear moments of strengths and weakness between players, not to pay attention to a boon status bar, as not having to watch an effects bar was literally advertised at launch as a selling point of the game.  The game does not provide that experience and ANet has failed to deliver on its profession design.  Full stop.

At this point, it'd make the most sense if they just scrapped WvW and sPvP entirely.  Rip off the bandaid.  Cut off the modes entirely.  Free up some dev staff.  Let the stationary blobs sit and fight in the guild halls until they too get bored and quit.

It's an embarrassment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Did you think long-time players who were willing to stick around in a format with no real patches or rewards for ten years suddenly quitting the format in droves and making huge numbers complaint threads was for nothing?

Boons are BROKEN.  So broken that the time lost not casting boons or boon denial from being spent dodging with literal damage immunity is not worth it.  In current form, they fundamentally and utterly destroy the entire gameplay loop the game was built on and it's wildly evident in WvW and has been for years.  Nothing but cutting access and sharing will stop that.  But ANet doubled down and made boons into roles for PvE.  This is peak GW2 gameplay according to ANet's design decisions, and has been for quite a while.

And even Social Awkwardness is countered by boons lol.  Even boon strip/corrupt is countered by simply adding more boon sources, and all adding boon denial does is make it harder to make functional builds in smallscale because ANet keeps shifting everything to boons.  Stuff like Death Perception is now boons.  You can't NOT have them in a build without said build being objectively bad.  It's boons, boons, and more boons, all the way down.

It's why I no longer play and why my guild no longer really plays.  I came for fluid and dynamic PvP combat with clear moments of strengths and weakness between players, not to pay attention to a boon status bar, as not having to watch an effects bar was literally advertised at launch as a selling point of the game.  The game does not provide that experience and ANet has failed to deliver on its profession design.  Full stop.

At this point, it'd make the most sense if they just scrapped WvW and sPvP entirely.  Rip off the bandaid.  Cut off the modes entirely.  Free up some dev staff.  Let the stationary blobs sit and fight in the guild halls until they too get bored and quit.

It's an embarrassment.

I totally agree with you. Just yesterday, I purposely entered WvW and I was Astounded by what I saw. I saw a Giant Trash Barrell rolling, destroying everyone in its way while being Immune to every incoming damages.

I was beyond Astounded, It was Pure Disgust to witness Anet Abhorrence Hatred to WvW Community by doing everything they can by turning their gamemode against them and setting them up for failure at all cost.

Anet has taken Toxic Gaming Culuture up to a new level that Punishes any players who want a fair chance in playing the game competitively.

Is this what a 12 years old PvP and WvW gamemode  has come to be?

Anet hate when I say that they do not care about the players, when their Actions and Behaviors goes against the players wishes. Especially when there are rampant amount of posts, threads, polls Explicitly telling them that, boons including other Toxic mechanics, skills.. are Negatively afecting their experiences and giving them low engagement, low desire  in playing the game, even going as far in pushing them away from playing the game entirely.

WvW and PvP are a Uterally Disgrace game mode, remove the remaining  Embarrassments of what is left of the game. 

(Personally myself, I have long playing other games and and looking forward to Ncsoft next game which will have seige WvW features with including more upcoming 48  MMO games)

What is there to lose?

Absolultely Nothing!!

"If you're not listening to your customers, another brand will — and they'll take those invaluable insights and reel your audience in."

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

I want to ask about something here and this pertains to the vindicator. The alliance is in a messy spot to the point there is no real reason to stance swap between the two specs outside of maybe a few clutch moments in a bad team comp. However, beyond that, and maybe some small WvW application, there is no real reason to use the support side of Vindicator as it stands since it lacks any crucial boon support that team comps are looking for which hampers the ability for vindicator to be team support. So I want to address this point;

A support role that focuses on keeping allies alive through defensive boons and raw healing. They may also provide some offensive boons to the party.

It's nice and all that the goal of a strong healer in mind but the vindicator lacks this ability. Offensive boon support is paltry for this spec, and the defensive boons are lacking in that area as well. Quickness and Alacrity are considered key, pivotal boons that a heal support needs to provide but there is no option to do so far a vindicator who wishes to go heal support and despite the intent of this line, few, if any outside of select groups, will take a heal support that can't provide either of these boons, never mind the lack of stability.

A lot of times I like to heal but healing on a herald is boring. I like the dynamic scope of healing as a vindicator but I never get to flex that muscle unless I want to spend all my time in WvW which I really do not. It just seems massively disappointing that this spec in particular goes under utilized because it basically has no place in the current scope of PvE and raiding and some mild application in WvW.

• Like 1