in future if new expansion will come, what option you prefer more of that 2 options?

I prefer more :  

120 members have voted

1. 1. I prefer more :

• New Elite Specs again
    • 3 fresh new Classes (light/medium/hight armor)

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

You need a third option...neither of these.  I'd prefer they create a beautiful, immersive open world with new maps, an interesting and engaging story, add instanced content for those who like it, and work on WvW and PvP.  Content, in other words.  

I mean if they decided not to release any new specs, the things you ask better be good and also way more in the amount if they have more time for it just because they skipped making new specs part

Edited by soul.9651
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Specs mean I can adjust my existing class. New class means starting from scratch and I doubt I’d bother. Since especs are like new classes anyway, it’s an easy choice.

As for those saying “none” because of a preference for quality content, frankly I’d expect both. Neither should be sacrificed in an expansion and I wouldn’t expect profession designers to be the same as map designers and storytellers.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, soul.9651 said:

I mean if they decided not to release any new specs, the things you ask better be good and also way more in the amount if they have more time for it just because they skipped making new specs part

Wouldn’t make any difference since those making the classes aren’t necs the map designers or writers. So not having elite specs wouldn’t make open world any better

8 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Specs mean I can adjust my existing class. New class means starting from scratch and I doubt I’d bother. Since especs are like new classes anyway, it’s an easy choice.

As for those saying “none” because of a preference for quality content, frankly I’d expect both. Neither should be sacrificed in an expansion and I wouldn’t expect profession designers to be the same as map designers and storytellers.

This.

There are not many options thematically that couldnt be expressed via a new spec for an existing class rather than a new one in my opinion.

• Noah Salazar.5430 changed the title to in future if new expansion will come, what option you prefer more of that 2 options?
38 minutes ago, soul.9651 said:

Absolutely, which is my reasoning.  Spend full time devoted to that, not just to designing new specs/professions and leaving the rest as an unfinished afterthought.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This.

There are not many options thematically that couldnt be expressed via a new spec for an existing class rather than a new one in my opinion.

I disagree. You cant make a Revenant as a Elite Spec for a Warrior or Guardian without it being real janky. 

1 hour ago, soul.9651 said:

Regardless of what they may or may not include, all things Anet does for the next expansion should better be good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

I disagree. You cant make a Revenant as a Elite Spec for a Warrior or Guardian without it being real janky. 

Luckily Revenant already exists.

But even so, a revenant concept could have been added for either guardian or warrior. Revenant as a concept need not have been the exact mechanics we got. 

4 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

So HoT elite specs are the same as Revenant (new class from same expansion)?

I think that the revenant was added to level off the number of professions by armor weight.  Until then, heavy only had two whereas medium and light had three professions each.  If I recall correctly.

• Like 2

Of those options, new elite specs. It means people can play their existing character(s) in a new way if they so choose instead of having to start a brand new character, which may be fine for people who have stacks of tomes and scrolls and the money or gold to get a new character slot or three but can be an extreme turn-off for those who don't.

Plus the character creation UI would need to be changed and updated for new classes and that hasn't been touched since HoT. It could be fine but with how much code has been added since then and the engine is notoriously spaghetti, it would be a risk. Not to mention pulling the UI dev and artist away from the expansion proper.

Elite specs may not be seen as sexy as announcing a new class but it's far more accessible and it means each expansion gets 9 new "classes" instead of only 1-3.

11 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Of those options, new elite specs. It means people can play their existing character(s) in a new way if they so choose instead of having to start a brand new character, which may be fine for people who have stacks of tomes and scrolls and the money or gold to get a new character slot or three but can be an extreme turn-off for those who don't.

Plus the character creation UI would need to be changed and updated for new classes and that hasn't been touched since HoT. It could be fine but with how much code has been added since then and the engine is notoriously spaghetti, it would be a risk. Not to mention pulling the UI dev and artist away from the expansion proper.

Elite specs may not be seen as sexy as announcing a new class but it's far more accessible and it means each expansion gets 9 new "classes" instead of only 1-3.

Same i play 1 character only.  Elites offers choices to both single char players and alt players.

If I had to choose between those two I'd pick new elite specs, because then I can play them on my existing characters. I do like making new characters and I have made new ones to play new elite specs, but there's only so many I have time to play and I like that it's my choice to do that. Also I think we've got a good variety of professions already and it's difficult to imagine what a new profession could bring that a new elite wouldn't.

But in general the new specs have never been the most interesting part of an expansion to me, I'm more interested in the story and maps than what skills I'll be using. What I'm most looking forward to is that having rehashed all the areas from GW1 (except some small bits) the next expansion will almost certainly take us somewhere we've not seen before.

• Like 2

Of those two options without context, I'd pick elite specs, but there's a bit more to it than that.  I was, for example, really excited for the EoD specs until they were actually revealed.  e.g. I was excited by the idea of dual sword ninja for thief until it turned out that icon was for Guardians, and I'm really not sure how big a demographic of players who like the ranger/ele archetype also want to play hammer builds.  So I definitely don't want another round of elites like EoD.

On the other hand, I don't think extra classes is worth the effort.  However, I would be happy with a single class (monk/brawler) that has three elite specs, with the unique mechanic being that they don't get any weapons, but each spec can use a different armour weight.

I think my actual vote would go to putting most effort into content, and throwing another weapon at each class, ideally including empty handed going to thief and/or warrior, and bows going to ele/engi for elemental and trick arrows respectively😄

• Confused 3

On 10/30/2022 at 3:06 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Out of these two choices, new elite specializations is the better choice.

It'd also require less work than inventing three entirely new professions and give them three elite specializations each.

Questionable, from a concept standpoint ANET is limited by what already exists and what could synergise (what makes one spec viable could make another overtuned). I think it would be easier to start from a blank slate, if there had to be a choice.

Plus, so long as the core gameplay is fun, does a new class NEED 3 especs?

That being said, making 3 new classes would be shooting themselves in the foot. People might start expecting more elite specs for all classes.

Edited by Westenev.5289

9 minutes ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Plus, so long as the core gameplay is fun, does a new class NEED 3 especs?

All nine professions we have now have three elite specializations each, so new professions would need them as well to stand on equal footing (at least concerning the number of available tools).

Edited by Fueki.4753