What do you think about increasing radius of all buffs?

Hello. I've been playing on and off from release (9,5 years). And one thing still buggers me. Why buff radius is so small? Like in raids when you split from squad while doing mechanics you are out of buffs for quite a while. This ultimately leads to stacking in one spot for almost all fights in pve, visual clutter and so on. 

My idea is to at least double (if not triple) of buff radius (alacrity, quickness and others) so ppl can spread a little. 

I'm not talking about wvwvw and pvp by the way coz this change will give unpredictable relusts in those modes (may be good but mostly bad). 

I'm writing it because I really don't like stacking in one place gameplay and want to move freely around bosses while not worrying about am I still in buff radius or not. 

So what's your opinion? It would be great to here pros and cons from you. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I like the idea. Would be fun if that is a new attribute... Willpower or something and the amount of "will" you have increases the radius of your skills.... maybe also increase the number of affected persons? Or if that is too strong... another attribute, "Charisma" that increases the number of affected peoples? I say attribute so that there is a tradeoff for the advantage you get. don't know, just throwing in some ideas, as well. 

Edited by Nogothanc.5014
spelling correction
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The stack-mentality has a special place in gw2. Some love it and some hate it. Stacking is comfortable and allows exploiting a lot of boss mechanics. The buffs are just one element of that. We also have the heal- and revive-range to take care of. In addition we have active defenses, such as protective shields and domes which only have limited range. That makes stacking almost the only way of fighting bosses correctly. Not to forget the hitbox problem and the sweet-spots where you can hit certain bosses multiple times with a single hit.

I would like to have more ranged options for GW2 and a less restrictive combat system. Extending the boon-range would at least provide some extra flexibility, but not solve the problem.

34 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

The stack-mentality has a special place in gw2. Some love it and some hate it. Stacking is comfortable and allows exploiting a lot of boss mechanics. The buffs are just one element of that. We also have the heal- and revive-range to take care of. In addition we have active defenses, such as protective shields and domes which only have limited range. That makes stacking almost the only way of fighting bosses correctly. Not to forget the hitbox problem and the sweet-spots where you can hit certain bosses multiple times with a single hit.

I would like to have more ranged options for GW2 and a less restrictive combat system. Extending the boon-range would at least provide some extra flexibility, but not solve the problem.

Thought about projectile walls and domes as well but wouldn't it be as a mechanic on itself? Like stacking under a dome or behind a wall is a mechanic for sertain times or phases but not all the time and every boss. 

• Haha 1

The problem with this suggestion is that increasing buff and support skill ranges could potentially offer players more options than "stack on the boss!", lead to more creative, tactical gameplay and make sleeping through boss fights more difficult.

Where's the fun in that? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

Stacking has always been a (subjective opinion) stupid idea. Its ugly, you can't see what's going on, and it's bloody boring.

That is why I'm up for this change. As for pve point of view I really see no downsides as you give buffs in like 900 or even 1200 range rather in 300. You give buffs to 5 ppl anyway so why 300-450 is the limit? 

• Like 4

I like the idea in general, but increasing buff length would increase player tethers which could be annoying for common grouping mechanics like green circles. As a support player, I also have concerns because res'ing scattered players isn't fun.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ZloyMakak.1429 said:

Hello. I've been playing on and off from release (9,5 years). And one thing still buggers me. Why buff radius is so small? Like in raids when you split from squad while doing mechanics you are out of buffs for quite a while. This ultimately leads to stacking in one spot for almost all fights in pve, visual clutter and so on. 

My idea is to at least double (if not triple) of buff radius (alacrity, quickness and others) so ppl can spread a little. 

I'm not talking about wvwvw and pvp by the way coz this change will give unpredictable relusts in those modes (may be good but mostly bad). 

I'm writing it because I really don't like stacking in one place gameplay and want to move freely around bosses while not worrying about am I still in buff radius or not. 

So what's your opinion? It would be great to here pros and cons from you. 

No I think we actually already have too much boon share, if anything I would have said we potentially need a reduction in range and number of targets. Boon carry meta is way strong right now and it seems to be expanding. Boons should be for pushes and bursts and not a constant up time. I get that you indicated PvE only but it still would be a bad trend to get people into when they crossed modes. In WvW we have too much boon uptime and causes issues when one side brings them and the other side does not. We are currently out of balance in strips and corruptions as well compared to shares. Not a stacking fan either but the answer to that in PvE should be in the AI mechanic which should be applying more damaging attacks to bigger groups and potential also have more corrupts and strips on bosses to punish the stacking versus just allow players to apply more in larger areas. I think expanding the radius also further creates imbalance between range and melee. Range carries less risk already compared to melee and the risk reward between melee/range already favors range, adding extended buffs just increases that. I say this with a mix of both across 23 toons builds out of 31 in play. So no, even if its for PvE its not a good trend to go with.

6 hours ago, ZloyMakak.1429 said:

By the way I forgot to mention that this change can allow us to create range support and dps roles. Seeing rifle deadeye kneeing in front of bosses is just painfull XD. 

It really wouldn't because most healing range is melee and if you get downed, people have to run over to you and pick you back up. Is just easier to stack.

Unless you allow both manual range rezzing and increase the range of every single heal skill in the game, people are still going to stack because is safer. 

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Sad 1

I find it concerning how many people seem to want ranged to be bad cuz git gud. Given how damage is applied in pve (AoE, arena DoT, ground targeting, teleporting bosses) ranged is much MUCH more dangerous because of their lack of proximity to the group (they lack protective boons, group heals, and risk the group being unable to res them if downed).

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 3

I've never been a fan of forced stacking 24/7. When I started playing FFXIV few years ago it was such an amazing experience to be able to run around the battlefield pew pewing and still get AoE healed/buffed. XD I felt so uncaged and free.

Also I still think it was mean to nerf Thief Venom share range. Such a little baby radius. 👶🍼

Edited by Doggie.3184

2 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I find it concerning how many people seem to want ranged to be bad cuz git gud. Given how damage is applied in pve (AoE, arena DoT, ground targeting, teleporting bosses) ranged is much MUCH more dangerous because of their lack of proximity to the group (they lack protective boons, group heals, and risk the group being unable to res them if downed).

This is objectively false.

As shown with Machinist and Virtuoso, range has significant advantages such as a high DPS uptime as you weave in and out of attacks on the battlefield, instead of stacking in melee and hoping you dodge the attack or your healer provides Aegis or your teammates pick you back up after you get one hit by it.

Melee being safer is a myth, its safer because that's where all the heals, buffs and revives are. However, that doesn't mean you're actually taking less damage, usually you're taking even more and this often hurts your DPS. It safer in melee because its the carry zone, a radius around your allies in which you can be hard carried.

A good example is how useless Reaper is right now since incoming damage is tied to their outgoing damage.

The ideal scenario is always to play some kind of class with at least mid-range capabilities so that you can have the best of both worlds, and its been repeatedly shown these are the strongest classes in real-world scenarios.

If melee was always safer, do you think so many would be pushing for higher melee damage due to the many risks factors they have to take in order to deal that damage?

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 2