The Confused Button

Rovaeden.8546

Thoughts:

1) I do believe that, if there is a faux-dislike button, then just include a real thumbs down button. "Confused" should be reserved for unclear or baffling posts.

2) when I see someone's reasonable post (whether right or wrong) being confusioned, rationally I know ppl are disagreeing, but emotionally I see ppl who lack comprehension.

3) if the confused emoji is removed, people would corrupt the laugh emoji into a mocking laugh emoji. 

4) people feel the need to express their opinions, well-formed or not. There will be a segment of browsers whose needs for a voice will be met by spamming a neg emoji, which is a lot better than if they actually spoke. (It is also genuinely used by others as a reasoned disagreement without elaboration, as a meter for the post, etc.) .

5) I find it reasonable that there are reasoned ppl who would prefer that I kept my responses to just emojis. I am aware of most of my flaws.

6) it is also a perfectly legitimate response to leave an emoji if a reasoned reader feels that a post does not require or merit further discourse (i.e. "I agree/disagree with no qualifiers").

7) as far as I can recall, I have used the confused emoji once or twice so far, once for a very confusing rant thread that the mods legitimately deleted, and a possible 2nd that I can't recall.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

The Confused Button seems to be the "dislike" button here, but in reality it reads like "thinking is hard, so I press"

Am I missing anything?

Why do you guys use that button as opposed to another?

I’ve scanned the thread and see you found a reasonable answer.

However I also tend to be rather literal and determined that the Confused and Laughing emojis mean ‘literally’ nothing as they have such varied definitions depending on the post and person adding the emoji. 

The Like and Thanks icons have fairly easy to understand meanings, yet I absolutely ignore all emojis when they are added to my posts.  Who knows how smart, stable and sober the person was when clicking it???

On the other hand, since the Confused and Laughing emojis are allowed as is, I am sure people use them to troll other posters who do care about them. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I’ve scanned the thread and see you found a reasonable answer.

However I also tend to be rather literal and determined that the Confused and Laughing emojis mean ‘literally’ nothing as they have such varied definitions depending on the post and person adding the emoji. 

The Like and Thanks icons have fairly easy to understand meanings, yet I absolutely ignore all emojis when they are added to my posts.  Who knows how smart, stable and sober the person was when clicking it???

On the other hand, since the Confused and Laughing emojis are allowed as is, I am sure people use them to troll other posters who do care about them. 

Your response made me smile.
Good stuff, particularly

Who knows how smart, stable and sober the person was when clicking it???

I lold 🙂

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

after i removed them (and the twitter side bar) with ublock the forums are much better. I would recommend the same to everyone.

Thats outstanding! I already use ublock but I cannot figure out how to permanently block the emoji area. Would you be willing to tell me how you managed it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Thats outstanding! I already use ublock but I cannot figure out how to permanently block the emoji area. Would you be willing to tell me how you managed it?

Turn on uBlock. Right-click on the emoji button and choose Block element. In the pop-up window, change Like to * so it reads "||content.invisioncic.com/a311129/reactions/react_*.png". Then click Create.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

While confused reactions might be spammy, some might generally not understand what you're trying to say or use it as a way of disagreeing. These days even more than before less people have the patience to type out or read replies. It's quick and efficient for lack of better options as the rest tend to all be on a positive agreeing nature. Laughing being that you found a joke funny(at least as far as I see it) heart, just being your standard like while thanks being a liked this very much or found this helpful kind of reaction. 

It's only natural, we as humans have a wide range of emotions, so people would normally want to be able to express it one way or another. Some people are just less vocal. Some prefer the less confrontational approach of simply reacting with a like or dislike etc. 

Anyways, hope that helps. (There are some cases it is used to troll ofc but I wouldn't paint such a broad brush)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

The Confused Button seems to be the "dislike" button here, but in reality it reads like "thinking is hard, so I press"

Am I missing anything?

Why do you guys use that button as opposed to another?

------------EDIT--------------
After some lively and quite entertaining debate I have my answer, which I was genuinely seeking. I now understand what the Confused Button is for and am satisfied with my answer.
Thank you to all who had helpful comments. To the rest of you, know that you were quite entertaining.

To summarize, the Confused Button exists so that Trolls can troll-lite™ without actually typing anything which leads to less work for Anet in moderating the forums and a better experience for all of us.
So yes! All you "looks good to me" guys out there, please keep smashing that Confused Button. I don't want to read what you have to say any more than anyone else!
I am no longer confused and I'm glad that button exists.
Additionally I am happy to know I can turn the whole stupid emoji thing off in settings. Going to do that now. XD

I think you got it 😂🤣

• Confused 1

I genuinely thought it was someone who didn't understand the post.  Not that it mattered to me, I have all forum notifications turn off.   I'm unable to tell if a person puts an emoji on my post unless I go back and read the thread.  which isn't often unless it's a topic with solid info about changes to the game.  Sometimes I get bored and browse the forum on non important stuff....obviously...

• Confused 1

Ppls afraid of a emoji again? Haven't seen this one for a little while. Have you already started reassuring yourself that everyone who gives you confused face is eighter a troll or lack brain to answer you with a post? Well I am sad to disappoint but most ppls using emotes are eighter too busy to answer or someone else have wrote what they had in mind already so there is no need to write it again.

But yeah, keep saying that ppls using this emote lacks brain are uninteligent or stupid if that let you sleep at night. It is you who have a problem and can't stand a silly emote to the point you must make a thread about it. xd

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'd also like anonymity removed on the emotes.

I take the point that it's better to just let the negativity be confined to an ignorable emoji than having more toxic back and forth arguments, but in the current state the system is pretty much just that - ignorable negativity.  Because the forum user base is so small, the few dedicated Confused spammers basically make that emote meaningless because there's no way to differentiate between "This post was bad" and "This post was spammed".

Removing the anonymity would at least allow this to be vaguely informative ("Hey, someone other than the usual 3-4 spammers gave this a Confused response, maybe something should be adjusted").

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I take the point that it's better to just let the negativity be confined to an ignorable emoji than having more toxic back and forth arguments(...)

Removing the anonymity would at least allow this to be vaguely informative ("Hey, someone other than the usual 3-4 spammers gave this a Confused response, maybe something should be adjusted").

So you're trying to say that a vague meaningless confused reaction emote would surely somehow prompt you to re-evaluate your stance when you've just labeled the responses explaining disagreement as "toxic back and forth arguments"? I'm sure all of it boils down to you trying to look back on your own arguments objectively and not about striving for echo chamber repeating whatever you already want to think 😉

As you can see, using emotes without explanation is bad because nobody knows what it's about (actually agreed, but also who cares), but responding to the post you disagree with is also bad, because it's toxic and changes less than signed non-specified reaction emote would. I seriously don't understand the logic behind this -perhaps other than some people trying sneak around the fact they just can't stand any form of disagreement. Oh well. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

To summarize, the Confused Button exists so that Trolls can troll-lite™ without actually typing anything which leads to less work for Anet in moderating the forums and a better experience for all of us.
So yes! All you "looks good to me" guys out there, please keep smashing that Confused Button. I don't want to read what you have to say any more than anyone else!
I am no longer confused and I'm glad that button exists.
Additionally I am happy to know I can turn the whole stupid emoji thing off in settings. Going to do that now. XD

That pretty much sums it up. It is a troll lite button.  The emoji system on this board is very limited and quite useless.  But... I was unaware that it could be toggled off. I honestly never paid enough attention to look into it ha ha 😎

• Like 2
  • Confused 1