The 4th specialization, what is left for the class?

Arheundel.6451

The 4th elite specialization: your choice of weapon   

105 members have voted

1. 1. What should the 4th elite get as a weapon?

• Shield - potential for a 2nd block on the class to use alongside GS
    • Rifle - AoE range with a single unblockable skill/mechanic for WvW/pVe mostly
    • Mace - PBAoE with melee evasion
    • Scepter - PBAoE medium range / non projectile based
    • Pistol - CC stun/daze with some torment , projectile fast animation (1/2s cast on some, instant CC)
    • Focus - Sustain/heal

On 1/15/2023 at 3:01 AM, Kodama.6453 said:

They are probably aware that it is, but a not small part of the community advocates for making some underwater weapons usable on land. Spear is requested pretty often by people to get featured in a future elite spec.

Same thing as people requesting offhand weapons for mainhand in future elite specs. I have read way too often from people who want a shield mainhand weapon for an elite spec. These requests are very unlikely to actually happen, but that doesn't stop people from asking for it.

^.....^......^

• Haha 1

Off-hand weapons have a big flaw, they don't have an auto attack. They have 2 skills with cooldown, very limited.
Spellbreaker give us hope for getting dual pistol or dual mace, for more skills and versatility.

I think ranger forum is for saying what we think about ranger. Saying to get out because your opinion is different is toxic.
I think the most potential is in dual pistol. If not dual then I prefer scepter.
But I still love the shield or off-hand sword. (focus too) If only our main hand sword would be useful (except jumping in and out)
And if the new weapon got poor skills, then we won't use. Like power soulbeast builds don't have to use dagger. 

On 1/15/2023 at 12:14 PM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Well I don’t know who suggested soulbeast, but you are right, it is the most enjoyable spec. 

I am amongst the first to suggest soulbeast way back in the early days of HoT (because Druid really did disappoint me).

The execution of the original concept was different though. There would have been no stat gain from merging but the ranger would have proc'ed an additional strike based on the pet's stats every 1-2s. While merged, the ranger would only have had access to the F2 skill of the specific pet (this strike would have carried the various effects associated: potent ally, refined toxin, poison master, crippling shot's bleed, winter's bite weakness, Maul's attack of opportunity... etc.) and the F4 Pet swap. I wanted the jaguar's skill stalk so badly... 6s of stealth every 15 seconds... Fernhound's regenerate would have been so awesome used on a proper gear set. River drake's lightning breath... A murello's toxic cloud that would potentially be effective... etc.

12 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I am amongst the first to suggest soulbeast way back in the early days of HoT (because Druid really did disappoint me).

The execution of the original concept was different though. There would have been no stat gain from merging but the ranger would have proc'ed an additional strike based on the pet's stats every 1-2s. While merged, the ranger would only have had access to the F2 skill of the specific pet (this strike would have carried the various effects associated: potent ally, refined toxin, poison master, crippling shot's bleed, winter's bite weakness, Maul's attack of opportunity... etc.) and the F4 Pet swap. I wanted the jaguar's skill stalk so badly... 6s of stealth every 15 seconds... Fernhound's regenerate would have been so awesome used on a proper gear set. River drake's lightning breath... A murello's toxic cloud that would potentially be effective... etc.

Lmao, no player should ever get access to the stalk skill. Having 6 seconds of stealth every 15 seconds is one thing. Having 6 seconds of stealth which isn't removed the moment you attack someone on 15 seconds cooldown is beyond busted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Lmao, no player should ever get access to the stalk skill. Having 6 seconds of stealth every 15 seconds is one thing. Having 6 seconds of stealth which isn't removed the moment you attack someone on 15 seconds cooldown is beyond busted.

But that's also why it's so attractive 😅

• 3 months later...

Thief Profession-Deadeye (sniper) was the choice of the specialization for the Ranger Profession. Sniper rifle fits Ranger Profession identity and roles yet Anet stole it from them and gave it to a Rogue Profession whose identity and role has absolute nothing to do with it

Sniper rifle is the weapon of choice for Ranger Profession. Do you remember the April fool video of Anet Commando Profession. While watching the video, al I was thinking about was... Ranger Profession was finally going to  get a sniper specialization.

As you can see from the video...Soldiers with Rifles...with no stealth mechanic, no teleport, no rogue class or wearing a rogue class uniform 

Since Professions identities and their roles are being hijacked and stolen...all I can think that remains to be available for Ranger Profession 4th next Specialization is...

---Samurai---

"Samurai used bows and arrows. In fact, bows were the main weapons of samurai during battle. Shooting arrows on horseback was considered the highest martial skill for a samurai. Samurai bows were called yumi. They could measure as long as 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) and had exceptional shooting power"

https://worldhistoryfaq.com/did-samurai-use-bows-and-arrows/#:~:text=Samurai used bows and arrows. In fact%2C bows,meters (8.2 feet) and had exceptional shooting power.

-Samurai Weapons-

1. Japanese swords 

2. The yumi (longbow)

3. Pole weapons including the yari (spear) and naginata were commonly used by the samurai

4. Tanegashima (gun)

5. Cannon 

6. Staff weapons 

7. Clubs and truncheons 

8. Chain weapons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai#Weapons

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 4

I don't normally throw confused emotes, but... wow.

Commando was really more of an engineer concept. The GW1 commando skillbar pretty much played like an engineer with grenade kit, toolkit, and Throw Mine. Presumably using a rifle as the main weapon, but the ammo blew up or something.

Rifle thief had concept art before GW2 released.

Samurai being essentially well-equipped mounted archers is a valid observation, but they don't really gel with ranger's animal companions or wilderness survivalist theme.

Rifle ranger is something I can still see happening, though. But none of those things were even vaguely a promise of a sniper ranger.

2 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

You get nothing and you will like it. In all seriousness, the wording of the recent studio update strongly suggests more weapons for each profession

I hope it's actually this.
New espec < more options for core and current especs.
Less balance issues, easier learning curve and more options.

I think a main hand Focus could be cool. Insofar as the druid and soulbeast deal with spirits and souls of animals and nature, a focus that brought that mastery of natural things into offensive skills could be cool, e.g. the focus could direct spirits not dissimilar to elementals to achieve certain effects, defensive or offensive. Perhaps the focus calls up vines to act as aegis or to 'spear' opponents, pull them etc. It could also perhaps more subtly buff, e.g. lending a 'strength of the earth' to the actions of your party for a quickness buff and give us that utility, or even root to the earth for a stability option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...

Rifle may seem logical. But really rifle is just a modern longbow. This is why no class has both of them. 

I've wished for a shapeshifter class and I'll do it again. Shield would go well with this, as animals fight in melee. Somewhere on this forum should be a post I made that elaborates.

• Confused 1

WvW perspective here

I voted pistol but I want dual pistols.

Sceptre could be good as well (go for broke and ask for dual Scepters).

Shield will be terrible if they dont also rework the main hand sword.

Anyway, make the espec have an astral version of the pet so it doesn't die. Any spec that has the capacity for pet death only works in WvW zergs if the pet is negligible (Druid) or non existent (Soulbeast).

After that, just have a clear defined role for the espec and not be a jack of all trades.