Guild Wars 2 have the worst PvP community of all MMORPGS - Sharing for new players.

kroxx.1032

Well, already 6 months into this game or maybe some more, so im going to share my experience on the PvP scene as a "new" player.

First of all, I played other mmorpgs before gw2, all pvp wise, and never seen such toxicity from OLD players towards new ones.

Basically, your first months, while you are a clueless noob, you will get flamed for everything. The rate aprox is for every 10 games, you will have at least 1 lunathic 3/10 times. Ye block him sure sure..

After a while, when you are not a complete noob and you know whats up, you decide to go to the PvP arena to try out some "duels"

What you will find there is mostly a civil war, where no one respects the 1vs1, where basically fresh new players interrupt all the duels, and OLD players even more.

I can understand the new players being that, just new players. But people who played 10 years and their only fun is interrupt people duels, and when you try to stand up to the bully, they will perma farm you, taunt, etc etc.

So, as a "new" PvP player, what should i do? Conquest is terrible, a toxic kitten show where half of the matches are decided before game it even starts. PvP Arena same, even worst. You cant even learn a class without getting bullied the kitten out of you.

And for anyone who thinks im wrong, go make a new character you dont have experience at all. Just do some conquest games and play the PvP arena for couple weeks. Im sure you will have a great experience in Gw2 😉 😉

In conclusion, from all mmorpgs I played, gw2 pvp community is the most toxic and the worst i ever seen by far from OLD players.

Edited by kroxx.1032
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, kroxx.1032 said:

Well, already 6 months into this game or maybe some more, so im going to share my experience on the PvP scene as a "new" player.

First of all, I played other mmorpgs before gw2, all pvp wise, and never seen such toxicity from OLD players towards new ones.

Basically, your first months, while you are a clueless noob, you will get flamed for everything. The rate aprox is for every 10 games, you will have at least 1 lunathic 3/10 times. Ye block him sure sure..

After a while, when you are not a complete noob and you know whats up, you decide to go to the PvP arena to try out some "duels"

What you will find there is mostly a civil war, where no one respects the 1vs1, where basically fresh new players interrupt all the duels, and OLD players even more.

I can understand the new players being that, just new players. But people who played 10 years and their only fun is interrupt people duels, and when you try to stand up to the bully, they will perma farm you, taunt, etc etc.

So, as a "new" PvP player, what should i do? Conquest is terrible, a toxic kitten show where half of the matches are decided before game it even starts. PvP Arena same, even worst. You cant even learn a class without getting bullied the kitten out of you.

And for anyone who thinks im wrong, go make a new character you dont have experience at all. Just do some conquest games and play the PvP arena for couple weeks. Im sure you will have a great experience in Gw2 😉 😉

In conclusion, from all mmorpgs I played, gw2 pvp community is the most toxic and the worst i ever seen by far from OLD players.

PvP in GW2 was ruined by new players who refused to learn the game mode in the first place. The game mode started well, not as good as GW1..but not as bad as now, unwilling to learn the hard way...new players these days want to win...from Day 1..no questions asked and the game was slowly adapted to accommodate that toxic mentality.

From builds that play themselves with little to no player's input to an atrocious MMR, add to this a pointless leaderboard with even more pointless titles and ranks acquired with RNG and dodgy mechanics...and you have a terrible gamemode that further exacerbates the already volatile and toxic behaviour of people online.

There was a gamemode suitable for people to learn their builds: HotJoin...new players abused and destroyed it, till it got removed; the devs in their foolishness added the ability to swap teams during a match...and people be people, would simply jump to winning team..rather than learn mechanics and class matchups, and HotJoin was merely the start..won't bother with the rest but yeah....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

PvP in GW2 was ruined by new players who refused to learn the game mode in the first place. The game mode started well, not as good as GW1..but not as bad as now, unwilling to learn the hard way...new players these days want to win...from Day 1..no questions asked and the game was slowly adapted to accommodate that toxic mentality.

From builds that play themselves with little to no player's input to an atrocious MMR, add to this a pointless leaderboard with even more pointless titles and ranks acquired with RNG and dodgy mechanics...and you have a terrible gamemode that further exacerbates the already volatile and toxic behaviour of people online.

There was a gamemode suitable for people to learn their builds: HotJoin...new players abused and destroyed it, till it got removed; the devs in their foolishness added the ability to swap teams during a match...and people be people, would simply jump to winning team..rather than learn mechanics and class matchups, and HotJoin was merely the start..won't bother with the rest but yeah....

Yeah no it wasn’t.

pvp in game will only survive as a fun laid back mmo with good combat.

it’s currently at the point however that in the Only relevant pvp discords you have well known streamers telling people that they are gonna kill them- for fun.

game mode is dying because “vets” would rather kill it than have fun

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I barely see anyone talking to obviously new players, except the new player starts writing nonsense in chat. For getting attacked left and right, its the mode. You'll be jumped in conquest too, best get used to it.

Wvw has more of a duel area/culture, where other duelists will intervene if you get jumped. Though you can still get stomped even there.

For veteran players being toxic to new players, its rare, it happens, you move on. Same in any pvp game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

game mode is dying because “vets” would rather kill it than have fun

If you are getting killed and dying it is silly trying to project it on a game. Won't work that way, sorry.

And historically arena fights were designed for 'spectators' to have fun, not gladiator slaves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Agree. I could write up a big essay that would make even Treavor sweat but why waste my breath? all I can say is it’s anets fault. You can’t expect everyone in the game to be nice to you and the fact that they don’t put resources into this game mode or included it in the new player experience shows what anet cares about.  Either enjoy the game for what it is or move on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

There are great video guides from veterans / streamers out there that show how to play.

There aren't great places to practice how to fight, or build community in PvP anymore.

That being said, I have very little patience for players who queue into a team game mode without even knowing the basics of conquest. Points do not capture faster with multiple people on them. Rotations are critical. The map is your best friend.

Imagine playing on a football team without knowing any of the rules. You would be kicked out immediately.

Edited by bethekey.8314
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

Yeah no it wasn’t.

Yes my Guy. It was. 

The game mode started well, not as good as GW1..but not as bad as now, unwilling to learn the hard way...new players these days want to win...from Day 1..no questions asked and the game was slowly adapted to accommodate that toxic mentality.

This is complete fact. On launch GW2 pvp was a separate game mode, where gear, skins, rewards, etc were all separate. If you were a pver and u walked through HOTM portal u instantly got put in starter gear and were lvl 1. We even had our own mystic forge. Reward tracks served a huge purpose because the tokens and rewards given helped you craft cosmetic rewards. Unranked, and Ranked having their own rewards for items. 

There was a gamemode suitable for people to learn their builds: HotJoin...new players abused and destroyed it,

This is so true. Hotjoin is something that isnt remembered. I can always tell someone who wasn't around in pvp in its origin because they argue hotjoin, or don't even know what it is. This mode was pivotal in learning the game and was very, very needed. This is also during the era of sPvP only guilds. The first ever Hotjoin sPvP Guild was Champion Slayer. It was created for new players to que up with 4 others, learn skills, rotations, etc. You know why we don't have the tutorial that every1 is always crying for on these forums? Because the players used to provide that to a once beautiful community. Removing 5 man ques deleted the entire purpose of sPvP focused guilds, and therefore removed a lot of the veteran players and culture this game once possessed, that the OP is now experiencing.  

People truly have no idea the damage removing 5 man ques actually had on this game, it rendered almost all of the original features obsolete that were put in place that once had tremendous purpose. The new devs that took over are just as clueless because they left remnants of the past in this game with out the ending reason for them. Reward tracks used to give tokens to make cosmetic rewards for PvP gear. Its why unranked feels unrewarding, the original purpose of them isnt even relevant anymore and most of the community has no idea. Most of whats left of PvP falls into this contextual example. 

the devs in their foolishness added the ability to swap teams during a match

This destroyed it, that should of been left to custom arenas only. 

Edited by jdawgie.1835
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Never go into the coliseum to duel or learn how to play a class. Absolute worst decision. The builds people are playing are made specifically to one shot people. Either from stealth, far range, etc. Those builds are not conducive in ranked mode so no point in learning how to fight them. It'll just cause frustration

6 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

all I can say is it’s anets fault. You can’t expect everyone in the game to be nice to you and the fact that they don’t put resources into this game mode or included it in the new player experience shows what anet cares about.

Agree in this rare case. Much of the toxicity present in game is not the fault of either veterans or new players, but is rather the result of systems of that encourage resentment and contempt towards other PvPers.

A good example would be how Ranked is the source of all PvP-exclusive rewards. This forced casual and competitive players together as Ranked is marketed as (I can't say it actually is) competitive. There will inevitably be a handful of unlucky souls actually making an effort to play to improve and to climb the competitive ladder, but now they have casuals coming in to get rewards, unconcerned with the competitive ladder that they're unwillingly taking part in. The casuals hardly want to be there and the competitives don't want them there. It most definitely leads to toxicity.

Same with DuoQ which allows two people to play at an advantage over the majority of the playerbase. Given time, it absolutely makes players resent one and other or consider themselves to be holistically better than others.
If Arenanet would put even the slightest bit of effort into ensuring people were playing PvP how they wanted to and not how they were forced to, toxicity may just begin to go down slowly but surely.

6 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Either enjoy the game for what it is or move on

This I disagree with.

It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate rather than to bow one's head and succumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, jdawgie.1835 said:

Yes my Guy. It was. 

This is complete fact. On launch GW2 pvp was a separate game mode, where gear, skins, rewards, etc were all separate. If you were a pver and u walked through HOTM portal u instantly got put in starter gear and were lvl 1. We even had our own mystic forge. Reward tracks served a huge purpose because the tokens and rewards given helped you craft cosmetic rewards. Unranked, and Ranked having their own rewards for items. 

This is so true. Hotjoin is something that isnt remembered. I can always tell someone who wasn't around in pvp in its origin because they argue hotjoin, or don't even know what it is. This mode was pivotal in learning the game and was very, very needed. This is also during the era of sPvP only guilds. The first ever Hotjoin sPvP Guild was Champion Slayer. It was created for new players to que up with 4 others, learn skills, rotations, etc. You know why we don't have the tutorial that every1 is always crying for on these forums? Because the players used to provide that to a once beautiful community. Removing 5 man ques deleted the entire purpose of sPvP focused guilds, and therefore removed a lot of the veteran players and culture this game once possessed, that the OP is now experiencing.  

People truly have no idea the damage removing 5 man ques actually had on this game, it rendered almost all of the original features obsolete that were put in place that once had tremendous purpose. The new devs that took over are just as clueless because they left remnants of the past in this game with out the ending reason for them. Reward tracks used to give tokens to make cosmetic rewards for PvP gear. Its why unranked feels unrewarding, the original purpose of them isnt even relevant anymore and most of the community has no idea. Most of whats left of PvP falls into this contextual example. 

This destroyed it, that should of been left to custom arenas only. 

Except I was around at launch too bud.

nothing you say is new players ruining pvp lol, yeah 5 q was cool- it might not work with the population but it’d be cool.

none of that is new players faults lol.

anet has made mistakes but it doesn’t excuse the current toxic pvp scene

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bethekey.8314 said:

There are great video guides from veterans / streamers out there that show how to play.

i bet most of the people who refuse to play conquest competitively do so cuz they don't care and just want the team fight. its anets fault for not creating a mode for them to want to be competitive in.

Maybe you newbs should try PvE first then try WvW and sPvP unranked then finally you can try Ranked.

This game's PvP speed is higher than most Warcraft clones and one mistake can be critical, you even need to learn map mechanics. 

Don't underestimate 10+ years of skill/experience gap. You can learn sPvP slowly...It's really slow.

• Like 1

none of that is new players faults lol.

I agree, I dont think its the new players fault at all.

anet has made mistakes

Yes.

but it doesn’t excuse the current toxic pvp scene

Nothing excuses terrible behavior, it is the cause though. Anet butchered their own game. 

12 hours ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

i bet most of the people who refuse to play conquest competitively do so cuz they don't care and just want the team fight. its anets fault for not creating a mode for them to want to be competitive in.

this this this this this this this this

I just want to HIT FACE 

It's also because of class interbalance  but it's mostly that part. I'm in the arena almost daily. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Pvp is not the area "to learn a class" you learn a class in pve and then you test your might in pvp. 

Now...see, it would be GREAT if the game taught you that, but they don't! You gain access to spvp at level THREE. A little bird would tell me that three levels is certainly not enough to learn a class!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

this this this this this this this this

I just want to HIT FACE 

It's also because of class interbalance  but it's mostly that part. I'm in the arena almost daily. 

This reminds me of the old GW1 arenas where you won by getting more kills than the other team, not by holding enough circles for the longest. Give me that back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

It's not the worst community I've been in for PvP but it's definitely not pleasant. 

It's not even the worst MMO PvP community, lol
WoW's is far, far worse if you actually interact with people. Which is kinda nuts considering it's infinitely better than it used to be 5-10 years ago.

• Like 2

The toxic people in PvP were mostly likely not made toxic by the game mode but by their own life circumstances and decided to spread their toxicity in game where they can will not be punished unlike in the real world. However, the developers over time has indirectly encouraged toxicity to flourish through countless poor decision making and the refusal to regulate the game mode. Personally, as counterintuitive as it is, I'm glad the toxic players are in various games rather than in real life. You have people indulging on their sadistic and antisocial behavior on players in games rather than engaging in criminal activity in real life. That is a lot more preferable.

The best way to avoid the toxicity, realistically, is to get a new hobby preferably outside of online gaming. Trust me, your health will improve substantially and you can learn some useful skills outside of squandering your time on an exploitative skinner's box. I've been slowly spending less and less time on this game myself but still find gaming more enjoyable that sitting around watching TV when nothing else is going on or I don't have enough time to do a project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

The toxic people in PvP were mostly likely not made toxic by the game mode but by their own life circumstances and decided to spread their toxicity in game where they can will not be punished unlike in the real world. However, the developers over time has indirectly encouraged toxicity to flourish through countless poor decision making and the refusal to regulate the game mode.

I gotta disagree here.

While yes, it could definitely and should be argued that real life circumstance might be a part of their behavior, Arenanet and the gamemode itself cannot be exempt from blame; having actively encouraged it, and having given these people an outlet to be their worst selves.

Personally, as counterintuitive as it is, I'm glad the toxic players are in various games rather than in real life. You have people indulging on their sadistic and antisocial behavior on players in games rather than engaging in criminal activity in real life. That is a lot more preferable.

The best way to avoid the toxicity, realistically, is to get a new hobby preferably outside of online gaming. Trust me, your health will improve substantially and you can learn some useful skills outside of squandering your time on an exploitative skinner's box. I've been slowly spending less and less time on this game myself but still find gaming more enjoyable that sitting around watching TV when nothing else is going on or I don't have enough time to do a project.

I think that is absolutely not preferable at all, and I'm not just saying that from the perspective of the tired, scarred veteran, but as a human being that has to interact with people in the real world.

Containment has been a historical recipe for disaster, just look at the history of Germany. By reinforcing how they think and coddling them in their echo-chambers, one would begin to normalize the behavior already present, and that could absolutely bleed into the real world.

Through containment there's also the potential for radicalization of the existing community by extreme outliers in the toxic player pool. They will multiply, they will spread. Such is the nature of heresy.

I think everyone still has a unifying purpose in this case and that is re-integration. Re-integrating the toxic players back into the greater community by for once in their lives telling them "NO" 👺
By telling them what they cannot do and reminding Arenanet that they were the ones that originally said these people cannot do these things until they take action, or kill their game off & send these future criminals they've created out into the real world all dazed, confused, and terribly unhinged.

• Thanks 1