Improving Fishing

On 3/19/2023 at 8:15 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

They probably were over all, but my wife and I love those.  It was fun to see how many chests you could get in the time limit. And it was pretty good for getting elegy mosaics. I got the vast majority of my elegy mosaics using the maps.  It's fast, easy and profitable enough.

5 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

They probably were over all, but my wife and I love those.  It was fun to see how many chests you could get in the time limit. And it was pretty good for getting elegy mosaics. I got the vast majority of my elegy mosaics using the maps.  It's fast, easy and profitable enough.

but in that case you are actually referring to the Desert Highlands meta and not just the kits

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@OP agree with you. I wrote two topics to improve fishing that seem to go you way :

one for making some fish you drop useable in exploration and combat with examples

another one to link fishing with legendary food. And about legendary food ideas that may require fish with a shrot explanation of the system. (topic got moved to QOL if you have trouble finding it look for 12 nov 2022)

On 3/17/2023 at 2:19 PM, Infinity.2876 said:

It would be cool if you occasionally caught an enemy and you had to fight them on your boat. (Crabs, sharks, and the occasional krait. (Shark enemies would take damage periodically while out of water))

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=21217/the-lurker-below

On 4/28/2023 at 6:56 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Nope  I think fishing is a abandoned feature kinda like guild halls mate.

Pretty much, the lack of a new fishing category for Gyala Delves confirms it. The only thing they will add is new skiffs and fishing rods...

(at least for this expansion, next one they'll have to go some way to justify not including it...water is everywhere)

• Haha 1

Well after 25+ years of gaming and playing gw2 since the start, fishing feels much more interesting to me than smashing giant evil things and saving the world for the 500th time in a row. Killing stuff is even kinda annoying after all that time. Most players enjoy their killing spree for a while, but i am pretty sure that after 10 years of Existence fishing is a welcome sight for many players especially the ones who have " been there, Done that".

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Well after 25+ years of gaming and playing gw2 since the start, fishing feels much more interesting to me than smashing giant evil things and saving the world for the 500th time in a row. Killing stuff is even kinda annoying after all that time. Most players enjoy their killing spree for a while, but i am pretty sure that after 10 years of Existence fishing is a welcome sight for many players especially the ones who have " been there, Done that".

I agree... as abundantly obvious, it is not without its flaws, and hopefully there continues to be some tweaks for improvement, but regardless of where you stand on the 'love it-hate it' spectrum, it does provide users with something different to choose from as an activity, even if only to mix it up for a while...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

1 hour ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

I agree... as abundantly obvious, it is not without its flaws, and hopefully there continues to be some tweaks for improvement, but regardless of where you stand on the 'love it-hate it' spectrum, it does provide users with something different to choose from as an activity, even if only to mix it up for a while...

Whilst there is little doubt fishing has been over thought and over developed by the team, these two excellent comments alone show why adding it was an important thing. Yes, this is an action based co-op mmo, but activities like fishing (and races, adventures, hearts etc) allow for breaking up the action and slow things down for those of us who like to justwander, explore and mess around.

Some of the most fun I've had recently have been exploring maps, doing metas and then chilling with a friend on a skiff, going from fishing spot to fishing spot for a while.

So whilst all this lure, plus bait, plus fishing power, plus difficulty ranges for fishing holes is far, far too many layers for this system, the activity itself is something I still welcome and for me a very important and enjoyable feature. People saying it shouldn't have been added are welcome to their opinion, but need to realise the game revolves around a variety of people. I don't object to raids being worked on and I expect the same respect shown for content aimed at me.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Improve fishing -> allow us to fish with grenades or an electric rod

I fall asleep after even 5 minutes of fishing when i literally woke up after 8 hours of sleeping and have done a siesta off 2 hours.

I know more than a few people who share your opinion, and can respect it even if I enjoy the downtime fishing represents.  That said, the activity could be amped-up, optionally for users to use or not, by increasing the 'action':

- Weaponizing the skiff.  Add a weapon to the skiff to allow players to engage land and water based hostiles.  This could be fleshed out in considerable detail, with a dedicated mastery track associated... Start basic and add additional components like increased range, AoE, ammo/damage type, ability to man solo... they already have these in various aspects of the game (the cannons in Siren's Reef fractal come to mind), so it seems pretty plausible... I didn't include weapon-type, as this is where Anet benefits from the endless skins (cannon, heavy rifle, harpoon, etc) that Anet could gem-store off it, for those who are interested.  As has been mentioned, the skiff isn't more efficient than the skimmer, so adding this feature would provide even non-fishermen incentive to use...

Other wish-list items (beyond the hundreds of posts on some form of tackle box and stack-preservation):

-Angular Sense is a level 2 mastery.  It's useful... but why have the 15 second countdown?  You have the mastery, it's enabled... one and done.  Seems like a needless mechanic.

- Unlimited Bait.  There are 14 bait types, so these could be highly desirable items... Whether they be super-rare drops, purchasable through BL tickets, quest-able rewards or gem-store items... Not saying obtaining should be easy, but as convenience items, they do have endless gathering tools, etc.

- Summonable Fish Supply vendors... If unlimited bait is just too crazy, how about replicating those merchant/trading post express vendors for the bait and lure guys?  Provide the same offering as the Fish Supply guy does from the map from which you summon...

Please?  Pretty Please??

• Like 1

I enjoy the fishing, but yeah it's not good that all of it's profitability hinges on the price of Ambergris atm. Gyala Delve showed how problematic that can be.

It seems like there's a lot of potential to expand out the systems and let players target specific crafting resources that they need. Like being able to use baits to target fish that drop specific trophies or being able to upgrade your fishing rod so that those trophies can drop from higher tiers or in greater quantities or whatever.

Edited by Sweetbread.3678

22 hours ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

I know more than a few people who share your opinion, and can respect it even if I enjoy the downtime fishing represents.  That said, the activity could be amped-up, optionally for users to use or not, by increasing the 'action':

- Weaponizing the skiff.  Add a weapon to the skiff to allow players to engage land and water based hostiles.  This could be fleshed out in considerable detail, with a dedicated mastery track associated... Start basic and add additional components like increased range, AoE, ammo/damage type, ability to man solo... they already have these in various aspects of the game (the cannons in Siren's Reef fractal come to mind), so it seems pretty plausible... I didn't include weapon-type, as this is where Anet benefits from the endless skins (cannon, heavy rifle, harpoon, etc) that Anet could gem-store off it, for those who are interested.  As has been mentioned, the skiff isn't more efficient than the skimmer, so adding this feature would provide even non-fishermen incentive to use...

Other wish-list items (beyond the hundreds of posts on some form of tackle box and stack-preservation):

-Angular Sense is a level 2 mastery.  It's useful... but why have the 15 second countdown?  You have the mastery, it's enabled... one and done.  Seems like a needless mechanic.

- Unlimited Bait.  There are 14 bait types, so these could be highly desirable items... Whether they be super-rare drops, purchasable through BL tickets, quest-able rewards or gem-store items... Not saying obtaining should be easy, but as convenience items, they do have endless gathering tools, etc.

- Summonable Fish Supply vendors... If unlimited bait is just too crazy, how about replicating those merchant/trading post express vendors for the bait and lure guys?  Provide the same offering as the Fish Supply guy does from the map from which you summon...

Please?  Pretty Please??

Yes like having a big fish starting to pull your boat while you try avoiding sinking and try getting the fish .

It is soooooo boring right now , i did all the achiev and now i don't wanna even try it , too afraid to fall in slumbersness.

About weaponizing the boat i agree , could be a first step into navy warfare , a little bit more exciting than fishing, adding jade canons like turtle has could be interesting , but i think it's gonna be too harsh to balance and even to make .

11 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

About weaponizing the boat i agree , could be a first step into navy warfare , a little bit more exciting than fishing, adding jade canons like turtle has could be interesting , but i think it's gonna be too harsh to balance and even to make .

...I was on a map with centaurs and siege machines (Harathi, maybe?), minding my own fishing business, when suddenly their catapults are targeting me!  C'mon, at least give me the option to return fire!

Any adaption would have to be simple, as you're right it would risk toppling the ever-changing balance... but not asking for something to solo world bosses with... just do enough damage to be able to engage, if desired... On that note, having depth charges that packed a little more punch would be nice as well.

Anyway, unlike you, I actually do enjoy... just think they could make it a little more dynamic for others, without undermining the point of the activity... 

It feels like we need a legendary piscator to tumble out of the mists and sort out the farrago of squalls, waterspouts, doldrums and sea turtles in which we have been so balefully  ensnared. Oh yeah we totally need some lurker below action (non group pls) to randomly enhance the whole kitten thing.

So much potential its a shame a scavenger hunt was good enough.

Holy crap! Drop an invisible fishing pole!

(Well honest idea here fighting the unwelcome mobs could buff your stack duration and intensity,  bring on the skiff combat, plus 10 stacks and/or 5 min combat immunity for swamping a few npcs with a water balloon).

Edited by Hashberry.4510
Combat?

I would fish again if it somehow pays off to spend time with it and if it becomes more user-friendly. What I don't want is to fill up a char with all the fishing stuff and then only that char can go fishing. It would be even worse to fill up several chars.

After the initial curiosity and the first intensive fishing, I stopped because of the latter and never continued.

skiff and warclaw are broken and have been since they were released.

pre mounts you could keybind how ever you want. post warclaw you can't.

its their coding, but it only affects a minority of players since most don't keybind outside wasd

for instance mount binds shouldn't override weapon abilities since you are not using mount skills when your in combat. and those mount skills should work if yer on a mount but other keys are also bound for weapon skills. but it won't work like that anymore post warclaw. skiff has the exact same issues.

Edited by Kelly.7019

On 5/14/2023 at 7:19 PM, Omega.6801 said:

Fishing was a mistake. A low effort, filler feature of RNG grind that adds nothing to the game but sells gemshop skins.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. As someone who spends 95% of their time in WvW, in the past year fishing has afforded me 12 legendary weapons (plus 7 dragon variant skins), 6 legendary runes, 4 legendary sigils, 2 Confluxes and a legendary backpiece, all paid for by selling Ambergris. There may be better ways to farm gold, but they tend to require both perfect timing (aka showing up at the right times for the right metas) and a lot more effort. I can fish whenever I want (granted some maps offer much more in the way of legendary fish than others) with minimal effort, and best of all, I don't need an experienced group of players around me to do it.

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 2:43 PM, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Just as endless gathering tools can be purchased via the gem store, access to Thousand Seas Pavilion can be purchased via the gem store. It has a vendor that offers access to all the various bait types. As someone who fishes a fair amount (1-2 hours per day) I carry a stack of each type of bait on my 'fishing toon'. 

As for unlimited bait, I suppose it would depend on how much it cost. I use up a lot of certain types of bait and next to none of others. I did find the unlimited lure to be worth the cost.