So about Arborstone's Arena...

Bit of a left-field QoL but is there any chance of it being moved to a core map like LA's Aerodrome, or the Gladium Arena in Black Citadel? Because I've yet to see anyone actually use it and the only two reasons I see why is...

1: There's already a free-for-all areana in pvp lobby

2:  Its locked behind a certain expansion, which also requires progressing roughly 3/4ths of the story, on top of (correct me if I'm wrong) Arborstone's 3rd  mastery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think it's unlikely, because otherwise they could have added it as a base game update instead of an expansion area.

There's a few places in PvE maps which are supposed to be kind of gladiator arenas, like the fight pits in Diessa Plateau and Gendarran Fields and The Bane in the Black Citadel, but players can't use them (except in certain story steps, and then only to fight NPCs). I've often wondered if Anet could set those up like the guild hall/Arborstone arenas or the free-for-all PvP arena so players can use them to fight each other.

But it might need to be an instanced version. I think I remember them saying PvP and PvE maps are built differently so enabling PvP in PvE maps causes problems, which might explain why the only "PvE" maps where we can fight each other are instanced ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Almost sounds like a veiled request for OWPvP.   If so, then no thank you.

No, I'm only suggesting a relocation of a piece of content that's never been used to a more intuitive place where it would have a greater chance of being used. That doesn't make it a owpvp request. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

No, I'm only suggesting a relocation of a piece of content that's never been used to a more intuitive place where it would have a greater chance of being used. That doesn't make it a owpvp request. 

Didn't say that it was.  Only that it "almost sounded" like one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 18

There's a few places in the game outside of sPvP matches which let you fight other players. I finally got around to listing what I think is all of them the other week: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combat_arenas

The only ones where you can use PvE skills are Arborstone and the Guild Halls, which both require expansions and some extra steps to access (getting to your own guild's hall is easy, getting to someone else's is more complicated). I wouldn't want to see PvP in the open in PvE maps but I don't think it would be a problem if they added something like the Arena Coordinator from Arborstone to an appropriate base game location like the gladiator pit in The Bane in the Black Citadel, so players who want to fight each other there can talk to them to be teleported into an instanced PvP version of the map. Basically the same function Arborstone has but available to everyone, including free accounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It makes no sense that its locked behind mastery. Just make a small portal for another arena that is similar in Lions Arch with no mastery. This is just out of place and it is simple as that. It isn't a slippery slope that is gonna add pvp to your pve normal maps, don't catastrophize. Anet knows that if they did that many people would quit.

Just let them have a less stupid way of accessing playing the game the way they want to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Its not used because its in a weird place. Players pretty much only frequent the area around the waypoint, as we've known ever since the original Lion's Arch and especially in Divinity's Reach. if you want something like this to be used, it has to immediately accessible near where the bulk of players are gathering.

Its not a matter of convenience, but rather that players really like to show off.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

6 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Its not used because its in a weird place. Players pretty much only frequent the area around the waypoint, as we've known ever since the original Lion's Arch and especially in Divinity's Reach. if you want something like this to be used, it has to immediately accessible near where the bulk of players are gathering.

Its not a matter of convenience, but rather that players really like to show off.

But the arenas in the Heart of the Mists and Armistice Bastion both get used and they're not right by the services or the main waypoint. There's also people who will go roaming in WvW and go way out of busy areas specifically looking for other solo roamers to fight. So people who are interested will make the effort to get to a suitable location.

There definitely are also people who seem to think anything other than starting a fight immediately, wherever they happen to be when they decide to fight is too much trouble and they don't want to do it, but IMO that shows they're not that interested in the idea to begin with. And ones who do just want an audience, even if their "audience" doesn't care and just wants them to get out the way, but accommodating them would be a bad idea for the game because it would annoy more people than it helps.

• Thanks 1

It’s simply a worthless arena that uses PvE balance numbers. I’m exclusively a PvP player and occasionally WvW - me and some others checked it out, were briefly amused about deleting each other in a single skill, and promptly continued to forget its existence.

At best, it’s a cute 5 minutes of fun.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

It’s simply a worthless arena that uses PvE balance numbers. I’m exclusively a PvP player and occasionally WvW - me and some others checked it out, were briefly amused about deleting each other in a single skill, and promptly continued to forget its existence.

At best, it’s a cute 5 minutes of fun.

This is it. The idea of fighting each other using PvE builds that can pump out 30k+ damage in a game mode where players frequently have about 12k health and little or no stun breaks or condi cleanse is silly. I'd be like a quickdraw competition, fastest on the draw wins!

Leave it to the competitive modes.

On 4/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Bit of a left-field QoL but is there any chance of it being moved to a core map like LA's Aerodrome, or the Gladium Arena in Black Citadel? Because I've yet to see anyone actually use it and the only two reasons I see why is...

1: There's already a free-for-all areana in pvp lobby

2:  Its locked behind a certain expansion, which also requires progressing roughly 3/4ths of the story, on top of (correct me if I'm wrong) Arborstone's 3rd  mastery.

The whole Arborstone idea is about it being locked about the expansion. After all, we've already had the (core) Eye of the North lobby that was perfectly fine for all Arborstone is meant to do (except the minigame). For some reason Anet just refuses to grant better utility to lobby areas we already have, and this pattern is likely to continue in the future.

Almost as if QoL was the least of their concern when designing those...

• Confused 4

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The whole Arborstone idea is about it being locked about the expansion. After all, we've already had the (core) Eye of the North lobby that was perfectly fine for all Arborstone is meant to do (except the minigame). For some reason Anet just refuses to grant better utility to lobby areas we already have, and this pattern is likely to continue in the future.

Almost as if QoL was the least of their concern when designing those...

Yea its gold sinks most of the time.

37 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Where exactly is this mysterious arena located? I have explored every bit of Cantha on nine characters and never noticed a PvP arena in Arborstone. 😄

It’s not difficult to find, it’s even marked on the map …

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 11:35 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

There's a few places in the game outside of sPvP matches which let you fight other players. I finally got around to listing what I think is all of them the other week: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combat_arenas

The only ones where you can use PvE skills are Arborstone and the Guild Halls, which both require expansions and some extra steps to access (getting to your own guild's hall is easy, getting to someone else's is more complicated). I wouldn't want to see PvP in the open in PvE maps but I don't think it would be a problem if they added something like the Arena Coordinator from Arborstone to an appropriate base game location like the gladiator pit in The Bane in the Black Citadel, so players who want to fight each other there can talk to them to be teleported into an instanced PvP version of the map. Basically the same function Arborstone has but available to everyone, including free accounts.

False theirs also one in the sunspear HQ (dont remember the excat name of the map, the solo hub from season 4)

You can invite your friemd in your instance and their a tiny arena were you can pvp with pve build.