Commander vs the Warrior of Light

SparklingMalibu.6328

Warrior of Light would absolutely demolish the Commander, because that game's main character is just crazy overpowered. The Commander is strong, but in a grounded way where they still have to rely on the strength of others to get things done.

The WoL just stumbles into a villain's master plan 1000 years in the making and single-handedly wins the day half the time because it's their destiny to do so or whatever.

WoL is a true chosen one. The Commander is just right place, right time.

Edited by mandala.8507
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hmm, tough fight. The Commander has been able to resurrect from death (although I'm not sure we can do it again, as we had to bargain our life with the servant of Grenth), the Warrior of Light on the other end has the Echo, that makes him basically immortal. We both went to the moon (or at least in space) without problems, but I think the Commander is mentally weaker. Moreover, we have been heavily reliant on Taimi and in general our group's finding (we are dumb on our own, and I still consider lost our dialectical dispute with Joko), while the WoL is guided by the Crystal.

I think we would lose against the WoL. But we can insult the WoL, since we can talk! The WoL can only nod.

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

I think they are essentially the same level.

Both depend significantly on their allies (both NPCs and other players) to succeed. Both are significantly boosted by supernatural forces, when they need it. Both are grounded in their respective fantasies when they don't need said boost.

And the WoL having all the jobs at once vs only one profession for the Commander doesn't factor into the discussion, as neither has a canon Job/Profession.

But all these things can be said about the Maw Walker, the Champion of Azeroth (and whatever other titles are held by the WoW player character).

• Like 2

Its hard to compare the Commander of this game to heroes of other games because despite all the complaints, the story is written in a very down-to-earth way compared to other franchises. This is part of why NPCs like Taimi solve everything, to keep the player character from being a Dues Ex/Mary Sue themselves.

Even the power that Aurene grants us, we earned by caring for and helping to raise her; it wasn't free.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 6

If it's the normal commander, then WoL. But if it's a 1v1 between WoL and Aurene powered commander, then I think I would give it to the commander for superior speed, strength, abillities and tactics. For example, just fight him while WoL is being bombarded by the pact. WoL can make weapons out of light and launch them at the ships, but it has a big cast time and that's the perfect opening for the commander. I don't think it would even be a fair fight in that circumstance. But I haven't played through endwalker, so if anything crazy happened there, it would change things.

• Like 2

At this point The Commander is a hardened battlefield tactician with an entire world that would rise up and engage if he called the WoL out as a threat to Tyria.

Should the WoL come to Tyria, or vice versa, I think what would happen would be this:

1. The Commander would initially get whipped, but not defeated entirely
  2. The group would reconvene, and Dues Ex Taimi would somehow identify the WoL's actual weakness after 5 story chapters
  3. The Commander would do what they do best, command the full might of Tyria solely to defeat the WoL in a 5 hour long meta.
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:
  1. The Commander would initially get whipped, but not defeated entirely
  2. The group would reconvene, and Dues Ex Taimi would somehow identify the WoL's actual weakness after 5 story chapters
  3. The Commander would do what they do best, command the full might of Tyria solely to defeat the WoL in a 5 hour long meta.

This, but with a step between 2 and 3 of uniting and gathering all the allies together for the 100th time by doing renown hearts for each of them.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, stormemperor.3745 said:

Don't know about wol but commander can resurrect indefinetly both lore and gameplay wise.

So can the WOL lol. The WOL has the echo so they see everything in advance, even their death so when you get 'downed' it's just an intuition in lore You didn't actually lose and next time you can prevent that future from occurring. 

I think the WOL is guided by the crystal and casually beats gods which the commander takes a looong time to. That is the only comparison I can make which is parallel to both of them.

The wol has defeated countless gods and some in an afternoon, unprepared. 

You cannot say the same about the commander defeating Baltha

Edited by SparklingMalibu.6328
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:34 AM, Poormany.4507 said:

This, but with a step between 2 and 3 of uniting and gathering all the allies together for the 100th time by doing renown hearts for each of them.

The WOL has allies too though and some very powerful ones.

On 5/16/2023 at 5:59 AM, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

If there's a zenos in GW2, commander can trick the WoL to fight him and can emerge victorious.... Like how he tricked ryland and brahm to fight each other

I'd argue that Cid is Taimi if not more experienced and 'world famous'. The WOL has a bunch of characters like Taimi on his side. Innovative tech types.

Y'shtola is super intelligent and cautious as well so it'd be very hard to trick the WOL who discusses everything with the scions.

Not to mention, the WOL's personality is not the type to fight at all. They'd always rather not fight. Usually take many hits before hitting back. Infact, the WOL only loses their temper when you hurt their friends. So you could do that to incite a fight.

Our commander on the other hand is way more likely to be tricked into a battle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As some one who actually played all the story in both games, wol obviously specially when later on in the last expansion where he got the power to summon infinite number of allies from multi dimensions with the power of friendship stone.

Also The dude literally traveled to the edge of the universe and saved not only his world and bested the god of light and god of darkness

And the dude can use all of the classes... Pact commander can only be one class...

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

But we're getting close! In the last episode we also summoned our old allies from a parallel dimension with the power of friendship... That part really seemed like any of the hundreds of Japanese RPGs. At least Rama also realised it.

6 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

And the dude can use all of the classes... Pact commander can only be one class...

Is that part actually canon or merely gameplay?

51 minutes ago, Urud.4925 said:

But we're getting close! In the last episode we also summoned our old allies from a parallel dimension with the power of friendship... That part really seemed like any of the hundreds of Japanese RPGs. At least Rama also realised it.

But.. we didn't do that?

We focused on good memories of our friends and allies who are no longer with us.

22 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Aside from the trailers (in which the default male Hyur can even change his job mid-combat), it's merely gameplay.

Like the commander, the WoL (as well as the Champion of Azeroth/whatever title you fancy in WoW) probably has no canon job/profession/class.

26 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Aside from the trailers (in which the default male Hyur can even change his job mid-combat), it's merely gameplay.

Like the commander, the WoL (as well as the Champion of Azeroth/whatever title you fancy in WoW) probably has no canon job/profession/class.

The commander should be able to use all 3 elite specs at once however. 

Why would a Bladesworn suddenly forget how to use Full Counter. 

Why should a Weaver suddenly forget how to overload an element? 

Doesn't mean it would help much but the commander in Canon should be able to use their class to its fullest. 

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The commander should be able to use all 3 elite specs at once however. 

Why would a Bladesworn suddenly forget how to use Full Counter. 

Why should a Weaver suddenly forget how to overload an element? 

Doesn't mean it would help much but the commander in Canon should be able to use their class to its fullest. 

I mean, there is literally nothing in GW2 that implies one cannot use multiple "specs" or elite specs at once?

Elite specs are just specialized variations of the basic class, often taking a signature ability and using it in a new way. Once you train in it and master it, it's part of your skill set.

I mean, one wouldn't perhaps be able to channel the death shroud in the way a necromancer, a reaper, and a harbringer does at the same time, but they'd be able to use shout spells and elixirs together. Certain aspects can for sure be used together, while others maybe not.

2 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

it's canon, dude literally learns a new class every time a new expansion comes out and it is shown in the trailer how he changed class and not like oh he's now magically another class now.

you see the dude finish the core story as warrior

then in Heavensward, a story about fighting dragons, you see the dude throw away his warrior armor and come out as dragoon in the trailer. 

then you see the dude failed to kill the monster of light with all of his classes, in the end, he changed to dark knight to beat it in the shadowbringer trailer.

ff14 like to implement system in to the story, or story into the system.

like the partying for boss, is now canonically explained as you summoning other wol from other dimensions with the power of the stone that's given to u in the story.

but WoL doesnt have all classes from ff14 tho, but does have a decent of them, class pool probably will expand with farther expansions

Edited by felix.2386
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I mean, there is literally nothing in GW2 that implies one cannot use multiple "specs" or elite specs at once?

Elite specs are just specialized variations of the basic class, often taking a signature ability and using it in a new way. Once you train in it and master it, it's part of your skill set.

I mean, one wouldn't perhaps be able to channel the death shroud in the way a necromancer, a reaper, and a harbringer does at the same time, but they'd be able to use shout spells and elixirs together. Certain aspects can for sure be used together, while others maybe not.

A Bladesworn going berserk and using Primal Dragonslash while also in Rampage Form sounds terrific. 

That power should easily cut large buildings in half.