when does the greed stop?

So you're disgruntled that you're unable to buy gemstore items or that there's some form of gemstore quality skins in game because you're not willing to put the effort in to farm the gold nor use real money to get gems and say anet are greedy for implementing this system even though its one of their forms of income?

Tbh gw2 has best cosmetics purchase model where you can use in game currency rather than money to be able to obtain them. Much better than playing a subscription to get skins you may not want in the first place. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some of the in game easy to obtain skins are pretty good if you know how to arrange and dye them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Wait. You mean a business in the gaming industry needs to earn money to stay afloat? The audacity 😱 It’s almost like the people working for anet needs money for their living expenses and bills. How dare they charge money for a game we play in our spare time for fun. And sell optional items for convenience we don’t need to play the game. 

Pretty sure most veterans see the game for what it is as well. A business is a business no matter what kind it is. And gw2 is far from pay to win.  It’s pay to play with a free demo version and gemstore that includes items you can buy if you want to for convenience. Which gives no advantages or power when it comes to gameplay. You need to try harder 

I think some people have gotten so used to looking out for scams that they cannot believe anyone would knowing pay for a digital product without being tricked into it. They can't accept that the transaction can be exactly what it seems on the surface, there must be a misunderstanding somewhere in there where the customer thinks they're getting more than they are or that they're being forced into it in some way.

But to take this back to the original point:

13 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I disagree there, as I can buy gems with real money, exchange it for gold, then buy a full set of exotic gear with runes and sigils, etc. I can also buy a level 80 boost, which means if I open my wallet I can have an almost maxed out toon within minutes. 

But what you're saying, is that paying for convenience (pay to skip) is NOT the same thing as pay to win? 

No, that's not at all the same as pay to win. What do you win if you do that? You've saved yourself a bit of time by not levelling up or getting equipment or gold to buy it by playing, but you haven't actually achieved anything and GW2 is not the kind of game where your equipment will carry you. If someone was brand new and did that they'd be left with a build they don't understand and don't know how to play, likely a glass cannon one based on a guide designed for raids and strikes that assumes they'd be part of a coordinated team and they'll struggle to complete even basic story and open world content.

We know that because it happens on a regular basis. New players use their boost, follow some guide they found online and then come to the forum to ask why they're constantly dying and why the game is so hard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

their raid times are bad for me, so here my goal stopped

wanted to get to old lions arch, but the forced story stopped me there

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

and also the bad start with EoD made it worse for me

Let me guess: it stopped you there?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2023 at 8:33 PM, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

oke for my preferences, i am mostly an fps gamer. but because many fps got worse i played more mmo, but in reallity i am not an mmo gamer, in wow i hate daily's (in gw2 also) so thats why am always out of spirit shards, the nerf of bandit chest bag drop was huge for me. i am no achievement hunter, i only do them IF i like the title it gives. story's can be nice but in gw2 i want to rush it because there is a chance for disconnects, and then i have to do all over again, some story's took me 45 minutes to complete (solo)
if there was no chance of disconnecting i maybe took the time to understand it. so fps games are a fail these days. (also call of duty with their bad design, the game is made for campers and ppl play cheap, riot shields on their back is a smaller hitbox but activision dont care) in hearthstone i like to open pack from gold, but many times i have to play against real players for dailys, and there is 1 class i hate very much, and i get that class 90% against me. so better for me not playing that game. maybe i got a bit too addicted too loot, in the division 2 i was hunting loot crates the first 3 hours in beta before i started the story. in assassins creed origins also looting camps for upgrades. (no battle royal is not good for me) i hate challanges and want simple stressless gaming. 
i just have to take a break, but the problem is. if i stop i miss some gold from daily tasks. so i keep logging in sometimes, and sure then i try treasure muchroom sometimes, and the weekly EoD meta crates from seitung bought with stattues. 

i need a break. but also i have to search something else to do with that time, i can't go to the gym every day. 2 times is enough. also mountainbking everyday is a bit too much. and for movies i have zero concentration, even i like gw2 a bit less last time, when i tried to watch LoTR last weekend i was continue thinking about gw2 what lotr characters i could make in this game, tried to watch it a few days but didn't finish. 

I don't know about you, but this sounds like games don't have much to offer you anymore. Games have changed but you haven't, something along those lines. You are forcing yourself to chase a carrot on a stick. It seems you know that, but I'm not sure if you're aware of the implications. But if a friend of mine would come to me and tell me what you wrote in this comment, I would advise them to stop gaming for a while. MMO's already aren't your first choice. You came to MMO's because your first choice in games isn't to your liking anymore. And by your own admission you're not a MMO player, as if that already hadn't been made clear with your previous posts. The threshold for dissatisfaction is already a lot lower when you engage in something that isn't really your thing, as opposed to something you do like. In the case of the latter you're much more likely to focus on aspects that you do still like, but in the case of the former anything you don't like will be a detractor to the game and overshadow potential positive aspects. It's like you're subconsciously looking for a reason to not play the game but stop short of drawing the conclusion and acting accordingly.

My advise would be: stop playing the game, if only for a little while. Maybe you'll find renewed interest in this second choice of yours over time, or maybe you decide you don't want to come back at all anymore because this alternative to what you really like isn't doing it for you. Forget about the gold. Remind yourself that MMO's are games with long term goals. Instant satisfaction comes from playing the game, not from the loot it drops. But continuing down this path will not bring you any kind of satisfaction. You just have the wrong expectations of this game, and MMO's in general. I get bored out of my mind by FPS games and PvP shooters, but if I ever come to the point I don't like MMO's anymore I am not going to resort to a game genre I didn't like in the first place, certainly not with the same expectations. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment. If you're just in it for the trophy but you hate the race, maybe this is not for you.

Edited by TheNecrosanct.4028
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Just getting clarification on how GW2 vets view their game. GW2 clearly falls into a monetization category, just seeing which one vets say their game falls into....seems like a pretty easy question to answer, which is why I'm surprised GW2 vets refuse to answer it lol....

You answered your own quesiton then. By the differentiation you're trying to use here it simply either is p2w or it's not. So your question "if it's not p2w then what is it?" makes the answer obvious. Except you're obviously baiting for a reaction -in yet another thread- so the answer you already recieved isn't satisfying and you require "another term" for whatever unknown reason. 🤷‍♂️
Hence the response: What specific name do you need here and why? Call it what you want, it changes nothing from the post you've quoted and refused to address. You're really struggling with these baits.

How is this "refusal to answer"? You're the one not addressing what you've quoted there simply because you're not here for the answer, but to change the answer into what you want it to be.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You answered your own quesiton then. By the differentiation you're trying to use here it simply either is p2w or it's not. So your question "if it's not p2w then what is it?" makes the answer obvious. Except you're obviously baiting for a reaction -in yet another thread- so the answer you already recieved isn't satisfying and you require "another term" for whatever unknown reason. 🤷‍♂️
Hence the response: What specific name do you need here and why? Call it what you want, it changes nothing from the post you've quoted and refused to address. You're really struggling with these baits.

How is this "refusal to answer"? You're the one not addressing what you've quoted there simply because you're not here for the answer, but to change the answer into what you want it to be.

You're refusing to state what model GW2 uses, because you don't want to admit anything, you'd rather skirt around the answer, and answer it with a question without actually providing one. You don't think GW2 is pay to win? Right on! What do you think it is then?

• Confused 6

11 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

You're refusing to state what model GW2 uses (...) You don't think GW2 is pay to win? Right on! What do you think it is then?

Give me your comprehensive list of approved models -preferably with an explanation why those specific terms are approved by you and others are not- and i'll pick something for you, seeing how your initial distinction "is it p2w or not" doesn't apply anymore and saying "it's not p2w" somehow isn't answering your question. I still don't know how it isn't a direct response, but you seem to insist it isn't? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

i am not greedy, if i buy a game then the loot should drop, and not everything behind another paywall, skins are too expensive. but i had to know it, no matter what i post here, or what others do. ppl always agree with how things are and like to throw money to gems as if it's nothing.

These are some sensational statements. NOT everything is behind a paywall, Loot DOES drop, Skins are not expensive if you convert gold to gems. If anything, GW2 has a very GENEROUS business model in the fact that even in their primary approach to revenues in the GS ... you don't need to spend RL money to get GS items. 

So you say you aren't being greedy? Seems like you are, or at least your POV is tainted by MMO business models that are not applicable to GW2. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I disagree there, as I can buy gems with real money, exchange it for gold, then buy a full set of exotic gear with runes and sigils, etc. I can also buy a level 80 boost, which means if I open my wallet I can have an almost maxed out toon within minutes. 

But what you're saying, is that paying for convenience (pay to skip) is NOT the same thing as pay to win? 

Pay to win is when you can buy an unfair advantage; an advantage that can not be earned easily any other way.  1) Earning something faster through cash does not necessarily make you better than the one who did it the normal way. But also 2. People who don't use cash can still convert gold to gems to buy what they want anyway.

The game is by no means perfect, but it's not particularly greedy. It has given a means to anyone to earn what they want in the way they're most comfortable doing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

Pay to win is when you can buy an unfair advantage; an advantage that can not be earned easily any other way.  1) Earning something faster through cash does not necessarily make you better than the one who did it the normal way. But also 2. People who don't use cash can still convert gold to gems to buy what they want anyway.

The game is by no means perfect, but it's not particularly greedy. It has given a means to anyone to earn what they want in the way they're most comfortable doing. 

Getting gear by buying gems and converting it to gold used to buy exotics off the Trader, is easier than farming said gold or gear. 

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Give me your comprehensive list of approved models -preferably with an explanation why those specific terms are approved by you and others are not- and i'll pick something for you, seeing how your initial distinction "is it p2w or not" doesn't apply anymore and saying "it's not p2w" somehow isn't answering your question. I still don't know how it isn't a direct response, but you seem to insist it isn't? 🤷‍♂️

Or, just answer my original question and give me the category you think GW2 fits in. 

• Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Or, just answer my original question and give me the category you think GW2 fits in. 

I already did. Which parts of my answer/s were unclear?

"it's p2w!"

-it's not p2w

"ok if it's not p2w then what is it?!"

-well, it's not p2w.

That's your answer -and you received it from more people than just me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

Make gold... in WvW? 🤣🤣

Next time quote the whole sentence 

“But if this is your impression then why don’t you start playing WvW, PvP, raids or fractals?”

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Getting gear by buying gems and converting it to gold used to buy exotics off the Trader, is easier than farming said gold or gear. 

OK ... but that's not an advantage over other people. For SOME people, farming that gold IS easier. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK ... but that's not an advantage over other people. For SOME people, farming that gold IS easier. 

Instantly being level 80 gives me an advantage over those who are not. Having full exotics with full runes and sigils gives me an advantage over those who do not. Having an eSpec unlocked gives me an advantage over those with only a core spec. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Instantly being level 80 gives me an advantage over those who are not. Having full exotics with full runes and sigils gives me an advantage over those who do not. Having an eSpec unlocked gives me an advantage over those with only a core spec. 

OK sure ... but that's not what is in question here. If people want to define stuff you can buy in the GS as pay to win, then the fact is that 'buying stuff in the GS' advantage is open to BOTH people who have time to grind gold for conversion OR to those that have RL money to spend in the GS. 

I mean, if someone has neither of those things, they have bigger problems than P2W MMO's. 

It's pretty silly this thread descended into the P2Win debate in the first place. Has little to do with Anet 'greed' for selling items in the GS. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK sure ... but that's not what is in question here. If people want to define stuff you can buy in the GS as pay to win, then the fact is that 'buying stuff in the GS' advantage is open to BOTH people who have time to grind gold for conversion OR to those that have RL money to spend in the GS. 

I mean, if you someone has neither of those things, they have bigger problems than P2W MMO's. 

Your requirement was "advantage over other people" and I just listed a few things that grant you an advantage over other people by opening your wallet.....now you're saying that this is actually irrelevant, so why even respond with "advantage over other people"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4