Research notes :

42 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But, IMO, that's one of the things that GW2 has that appeals to casual players like me.  I don't have to do a variety of content if I don't want to.  I also understand that there are some things in the game that I will never acquire or achieve because I don't run certain content.  Things like zone-specific currency are at least obtainable through interacting with those particular zones.  Research notes are less like that.

If you ignore the content that gives you plenty of ascended stuff to get research notes it may take you longer to get them. But you chose to ignore it 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

I don’t really mind research notes. It’s a good way to get rid of all the ascended stuff I get from raids and fractals. 

I get some, but not a lot, ascended from raids and fractals. I get more from WvW and that is still a pittance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I get some, but not a lot, ascended from raids and fractals. I get more from WvW and that is still a pittance.

Really? I get the most ascended from raids. I have around 30 ascended weapons from raids in my bank. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

Really? I get the most ascended from raids. I have around 30 ascended weapons from raids in my bank. 

I have seen more drops in WvW, but then again I play more there. Either way the drop rate is pretty bad (for me at least).

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I will never understand how this idea got tested and approved as a currency. It’s over thought and needlessly tedious. Currency for playing content is all that is ever needed. 
Research notes are tedious to get, yet everything now seems to require them. Why would I waste them on filters given their scarcity compared to the other currencies?

I do wish they would look at this and make changes. We even lost our festival food drops because of this mess

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

Is the stuff you get from loot or vendors (ascended drops from fractals and ascended stuff from the vendor in season 3 maps) actually salvageable for research notes? I thought they intended to limit this to craftable things. Because they wanted to give the mats that are needed for crafting a bit more value.

At least I have some stuff in the bank that does only show the "ascended" not the "research" in the tooltip. Mainly trinkets from achievements though. If I remember correctly. The fractal drops I did always immediately salvage back then when I played fractals a bit more.

Edited by Luthan.5236

22 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Is the stuff you get from loot or vendors (ascended drops from fractals and ascended stuff from the vendor in season 3 maps) actually salvageable for research notes? I thought they intended to limit this to craftable things. Because they wanted to give the mats that are needed for crafting a bit more value.

At least I have some stuff in the bank that does only show the "ascended" not the "research" in the tooltip. Mainly trinkets from achievements though. If I remember correctly. The fractal drops I did always immediately salvage back then when I played fractals a bit more.

You have to stat change some weapons and armor in the mystic forg to force it into a crafted piece but thats about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh I see. Doesn't seem like you'll be able to get a lot that way. If it does not work for rings and onyl for certain armor/weapons. The fractal drops for me mostly were rings I think. And the s3 maps also mainly backpacks and trinkets. The wiki seems to specifically mention stuff from some named boxes (where I think you also can craft the armor you can select from the box in a normal way). I have some of them in my bank.

Just wondered cause one guy talked "ignore the content that gives you plenty of ascended stuff to get research notes" when on the previou page they talked about raids and fractals. I only played up to t2 fractals though. No raids or higher fractals. Maybe the higher fractals give armor?

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You have to stat change some weapons and armor in the mystic forg to force it into a crafted piece but thats about it.

And when you include the cost of stat-changing, that option stops looking that desirable as initially presented. The people that claim it is good always undervalue spirit shards, for example (they assume they are worth nothing, which is not the case).

Almost everything is cheap in this game if you assume you already have the mats, and ignore opportunity costs.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

52 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Just wondered cause one guy talked "ignore the content that gives you plenty of ascended stuff to get research notes" when on the previou page they talked about raids and fractals. I only played up to t2 fractals though. No raids or higher fractals. Maybe the higher fractals give armor?

There's still no assured drop; you could do CM+T4 everyday and don't loot any ascended chest for weeks. Droprate could be higher on raids but also time-consuming.

So when he said "ignore the content that gives you plenty of ascended stuff" he forgot to mention "for the past 10 years" to save them in banks.
Because you won't easily get ascended chests for the research notes you would like now; and certainly not if you also want to save those ascended chests to gear your characters actually.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

The idea of making most crafted items have value through research notes is golden. What isn't is the number of research notes we get per craft. It's terrible, when you consider the disparity between the easy crafts and the difficult crafts.

Crafted ascended should give over 1000 research notes! I get that it seems like a lot, but those things take 3 days of cooldowns to craft and are account bound. They also require things like bloodstone bricks, which people keep complaining have no use, yet is also a resource that can act as a bottleneck towards ridiculous amounts of crafting. Lather those ascended items with research notes. Make the mystic forge ascended items turn into an item that provides 300 or so research notes, if concerned about that mystic forge exploit with dropped ascended items. An intentionally crafted ascended item should at least have the value of a jade bot minipet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

EOD is full of annoying busy work. One thing I liked with gw2 was reduction of useless busy work compared to other games and here they go and fill the whole expansion with it. 

Research notes, jade batteries, protocols, fishing stacks. Just let me play the game. If I have 1 hour to play, Im not going for the game that doesnt respect my time. 

I remember pre-launch when it was revealed that mama potions were a thing. ANet had said they wanted to avoid busy work that takes you away from the fun parts of the game, and the community called them on it. The ANet listened and changed direction.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And when you include the cost of stat-changing, that option stops looking that desirable as initially presented. The people that claim it is good always undervalue spirit shards, for example (they assume they are worth nothing, which is not the case).

Almost everything is cheap in this game if you assume you already have the mats, and ignore opportunity costs.

Playing the game to get stuff in that game is so horrible, I guess. Anyways, there's more than one way to go about it, utilize ascended drop, craft or buy items. I'm not sure anyone "ignores opportunity costs" here, you just don't value this particular outcome so you'll try putting that spin on any responses you get. Notes aren't really hard to get.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 5/27/2023 at 4:56 PM, Justforvisit.3709 said:

So much this. It's just annoying.

Hey, you want this? Pay 200 Research Notes for that! And this? Sure, 250 Research Notes for that.

You want more research notes through organic gameplay? Oh, too bad.

It just feels so off, unorganic and as you said, a total waste of time to always cycle though the same boring steps:

Buy cheapest food that is salvage for research kits -> Salvage -> Buy that stuff you wanted -> Repeat

Also, man, I swear, with all that "Research Notes" being traded, Tyria by now should have invented the Warp Drive, solved the Cantha Energy Crisis by Taimi inventing the Fusion Reactor and solved World Hunger in RL......

Lol and true 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Playing the game to get stuff in that game is so horrible

That's the problem: Hanging around a crafting station when you already have maxed out every profession to endlessly craft stuff just to outright salvage it or hanging in the TP and throwing Gold at it (funnily enough, that gold probably IS earned by gameplay) is gameplay to you in what regard exactly?

Back in the day when Dry Top was fairly new, I LOVED to grind the Sandstorms as well as the off time for Geodes to get all Ambrite Weapons done. That was fun, since it made you PLAY the game.

In what regards is crafting stuff you don't really need or buying from TP or being forced into content you don't like "Playing the game"?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Oh I see. Doesn't seem like you'll be able to get a lot that way. If it does not work for rings and onyl for certain armor/weapons. The fractal drops for me mostly were rings I think. And the s3 maps also mainly backpacks and trinkets. The wiki seems to specifically mention stuff from some named boxes (where I think you also can craft the armor you can select from the box in a normal way). I have some of them in my bank.

When you stat-swap ascended armor and weapons that don't have the craftable ascended skins it will turn into the craftable ascended skin and then you can salvage it for about 250 research notes each. In Fractals armor mostly drops from Daily Fractal chests.

7 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Using these prices ..

•  6s - intact mosaic - buy order
  •  5 ecto - 10s - instant sell x 5 = 50s
  • 10 spirit shards - 20s x 10 = 2g - the price to use this is a bit tricky. I picked 20s because I usually use shards for lodestones and it has been at that price for a long time but the value of of these can be much higher

Stat swapping ends up costing ~2.5g and ascended gear seems to give around 250 notes making it roughly 1s/note. That makes it around 40%-50% more expensive than the typical cheapest option of crafting notes which is in the mid-60c to 70c.

• Like 1

Back in the day, when the festival meals were eliminated, I didn't understand why they were eliminated, but now I understand, it's because they don't have the expansion where the notes are much needed, but now the festival food is through the roof to buy them in large quantities since I use them more to empower the fallen and improve my drop rate, in short the notes are rubbish since I hurt myself in my purchases and manufacturing them requires too much.

Edited by workit.3092
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Justforvisit.3709 said:

That's the problem: Hanging around a crafting station when you already have maxed out every profession to endlessly craft stuff just to outright salvage it or hanging in the TP and throwing Gold at it (funnily enough, that gold probably IS earned by gameplay)

You think hanging around crafting station is bad when you max out crafting? Why? Why do you think crafting is supposed to be some sort of "one-off" activity, where you max it out and forget about it? Maxing out crafting shouldn't somehow nullify ability or -to some degree- even some necessity to use crafting.

is gameplay to you in what regard exactly?

You wrote it yourself ("Gold at it (funnily enough, that gold probably IS earned by gameplay)") -the post I responded to was complaining about acquiring currency/resources. The gameplay part is... all of it. The whole process of acquiring resources and currencies you need to get what you want.

In what regards is crafting stuff you don't really need

If you don't need it then don't do it.

or buying from TP or being forced into content you don't like "Playing the game"?

Again, you have multiple ways of acquiring the research notes. If you don't want to craft or buy, play content dropping ascended. If you don't want to do anything then by all means, you're welcome to not do anything.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

If they wanted to add material sink, they could straight add research notes to crafting vendors for the price in materials. 

Or made them tradeable on tp and players that like to spend time behind crafting benches could make some gold and us that dont value gold as much but value playtime outside of crafting could just straight buy them. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

and players that like to spend time behind crafting benches could make some gold and us that dont value gold as much but value playtime outside of crafting could just straight buy them. 

You can already buy crafted items on tp to get research notes from, so exactly that is already a thing. And I did list that as one of the options, except some people here won't accept anything that isn't cheapest, easiest AND fastest all in one package. At which point, what else is left to say here: good luck with that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Using these prices ..

•  6s - intact mosaic - buy order
  •  5 ecto - 10s - instant sell x 5 = 50s
  • 10 spirit shards - 20s x 10 = 2g - the price to use this is a bit tricky. I picked 20s because I usually use shards for lodestones and it has been at that price for a long time but the value of of these can be much higher

Stat swapping ends up costing ~2.5g and ascended gear seems to give around 250 notes making it roughly 1s/note. That makes it around 40%-50% more expensive than the typical cheapest option of crafting notes which is in the mid-60c to 70c.

Precisely. Which means outright deleting that ascended piece is a better option if you intend to get research notes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, Astralporing.1957 said:

Precisely. Which means outright deleting that ascended piece is a better option if you intend to get research notes.

Only if you don't want research notes for anything or -for some reason- deem anything below the most optimal acquisition price as non-existent. Which is a weird reasoning considering your complaints about not wanting to do stuff because it's too much to do, when it comes to this currency.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3