why less stuff?

Just now, Serephen.3420 said:

I wouldn't know because I'm not American 😅 

Though I think it shows on the website anyways. 

I just checked its $79.99 which is $120 AUD. Still hurts in our economy at this time.. I can only afford so many games these days which is getting harder to justify with these smaller contents and less bang for bucks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

As long as the quality is there, it's fine. The last living world content was not up to that necessity.

As far as actual pricing: a lot of GW2 players need a hard reality check. Those 25 Euros/Dollars barely cover the additional charge Blizzard put on Diablo 4 (earlz access and season pass) on top of the 70 Euro/Dollar base game.

I get that GW2 has a huge amount of player who are very price sensitive, but even those players have to realize that in todays world, prices are not where they where 10 years ago.

Personally I like their approach to monetize content. Think of this pricing as including the living world episodes, which new or inactive players usual had to pay for (and which always so many where in favor of changing the pricing model) as well as adapting to a world which is going through a large inflation cycle.

As always: if you think a product is not worth your money, then don't buy it. I personally think any one would be hard pressed to find similar value per dollar gaming wise (some indie games certainly meet that criteria), but everyone gets to decide on their own.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

I just checked its $79.99 which is $120 AUD. Still hurts in our economy at this time.. I can only afford so many games these days which is getting harder to justify with these smaller contents and less bang for bucks.

I can understand that, it'd probably be best to wait and see once you know more and can see some reviews perhaps. I wouldn't recommend preordering any game regardless of who makes it unless you feel comfortable with it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Serephen.3420 said:

I can understand that, it'd probably be best to wait and see once you know more and can see some reviews perhaps. I wouldn't recommend preordering any game regardless of who makes it unless you feel comfortable with it

Agreed especially as i haven't played GW2 in a year? i think its been a year.. EoD really wasn't very good in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

As long as the quality is there, it's fine. The last living world content was not up to that necessity.

As far as actual pricing: a lot of GW2 players need a hard reality check. Those 25 Euros/Dollars barely cover the additional charge Blizzard put on Diablo 4 (earlz access and season pass) on top of the 70 Euro/Dollar base game.

I get that GW2 has a huge amount of player who are very price sensitive, but even those players have to realize that in todays world, prices are not where they where 10 years ago.

Personally I like their approach to monetize content. Think of this pricing as including the living world episodes, which new or inactive players usual had to pay for (and which always so many where in favor of changing the pricing model) as well as adapting to a world which is going through a large inflation cycle.

The price is irrelevant to me. I would pay 50, 60 bucks a year for an expansion of this size it if were quality (though I would advocate against that because, as you observed, GW2 appeals to broad economic backgrounds if they can afford to not gatekeep players with a price point that is preferred). A regular subscription that runs into triple digits, yeah, I would want to see more volume, but for a single annual purchase, fine by me.

The issue is: if I don't agree with the vast majority of changes and directions the game is going. Most of which I find at best underconsidered/haphazard, and several of which I find outright reckless and destructive. And on top that practically nothing that actually appeals to me and the things I love about this game. No price point is going to be worth the purchase.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Batalix.2873 said:

The price is irrelevant to me. I would pay 50, 60 bucks a year for an expansion of this size it if were quality (though I would advocate against that because, as you observed, GW2 appeals to broad economic backgrounds if they can afford to not gatekeep players with a price point that is preferred).

Oh absolutely, I'm sure no one WANTS to have expensive pricing. At the end of the day though, that inflation most everyone is experiencing, that's present for almost everyone (even if not equally globally, with some countries being more stable than others) and the studio and developers are under the same pressure to generate revenue, bring food home and pay off their overlord NCSoft, least they close down the game.

The game has been a great deal for a long time, and it remains a great deal, just slightly more expensive. Not as more expensive as the vast majority of the remaining gaming landscape, but more expensive still.

The issue is: if I don't agree with the vast majority of changes and directions the game is going. Most of which I find at best underconsidered/haphazard, and several of which I find outright reckless and destructive. And on top that practically nothing that actually appeals to me and the things I love about this game. No price point is going to be worth the purchase.

Again, agreed. Deciding against a purchase of the expansion or product does not have to be tied to the cost. In this case I feel the developers tried addressing a majority of concerns they've read over the years (I don't agree with all their changes, but in the end they have the metrics and hopefully are correct about their approach).

The next expansion seems like another "try to get new players in" expansion, and while that worked well with EoD, it makes even more sense to do so after the dragon cycles end. We will see where this leads and hopefully the developers/studio has found a good pace to deliver regular and quality content.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

We get new skyscale skills as well as what some have been calling mounted combat? Correct me if I'm wrong about that

from what i read it sounds like u get one attack.u can start from the air.

if its air to air combat fast paced they would advertise that big time. its something i recommended anet a few years ago. skyscale dog fights.

but its more probably to be a 1 attack on a long cd. as it should be if it's ground targeting.

maybe like a carpet fire like aurene does in. dragonfall.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I had a feeling that the value of the DLC would be significantly less than that of an expansion.  This is one where I'll just wait until after release to get, if at all, depending on how the maps are.  If they're like the last map then a hard pass.  I think a lot of time was spent on features instead of content.  We'll find out in a couple of months if that was true or not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Personally, the price to quality doesn't sit well to me, the same with EoD. I don't feel the hype and excitement anymore like what HoT and PoF. That's why I only bought EoD with a discounted price last November. This expansion is mostly just a rework of elements that already existed in the game and just labeled like it's a new feature or something. I'm gonna probably wait and see, and I'll just buy it when it's on sale.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Difficult to produce the expansion we're used to when staff has been shuffled off to other projects. 

New weapon proficiencies aren't going to be enough for me, personally. I'm glad they're doing a beta weekend so I can see everything I won't be missing out on.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

You haven't learnt anything from EoD, hadn't you.

Anyways, did yiu forget that this is a mini expan and they'd release more later on? maybe more maps, rewards and contents?

Yes you will get 1 more map 2 strikes +cms and a fractal and thats that.

So some people waiting and seeing if that extra map is another gyala delves fiasco is reasonable imo. 

10 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

It didn’t quite dawn on me until just now… this is the first of the new “mini expansions” they talked about earlier this year… so um… ANet… why is it full priced? Ya’ll said they would be lower cost.

It is not full price tho 30 bucks was pof and eod slightly reduced price is 25 bucks this one.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

It didn’t quite dawn on me until just now… this is the first of the new “mini expansions” they talked about earlier this year… so um… ANet… why is it full priced? Ya’ll said they would be lower cost.

They wrote it would be a slightly reduced cost, which means 5€ less in this case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:37 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Uhhh no, that's for the ultimate edition.  The standard price is $25 USD.  Which is a reasonable price for a smaller expansion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

If it is anywhere near Diablo 4 quality, I would gladly pay $70 for it. In fact it won't be exaggerating to assume that almost anyone with a slight interest in the MMO genre and a decent gaming PC has already bought a copy of that game.

But so far I am not all that thrilled to pay $25 for an expansion, that consists merely 1-2 additional hours of story and exploration on top of another balance patch and cosmetic collection grind no one asked for.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

The pricing is fine. Honestly, I would be willing to pay them 10$ a month as long as they go to hell with gem store rotation and other timegates.

i agree the price is fine. i even say they.could ask double for.standard version. but please ramp up the substance.

i want to add

an expansion should attacked new player and this one does not at all.

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Uhhh no, that's for the ultimate edition.  The standard price is $25 USD.  Which is a reasonable price for a smaller expansion.

Yes i want the ultimate obviously 4000gems are cheaper in the ultimate than buying straight from GW2.. Looking at $100AUD or more  on conversions from AUD to USD for 4k gems.. so the ultimate is cheaper AUD than buying 4k gems off the site..

Gems are crazy expensive for Aussies.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes i want the ultimate obviously 4000gems are cheaper in the ultimate than buying straight from GW2.. Looking at $100AUD or more  on conversions from AUD to USD for 4k gems.. so the ultimate is cheaper AUD than buying 4k gems off the site..

Interesting.

Buying the standard edition and the gems separately is the same as the ultimate here in the US. The only benefits to buying the ultimate here is the individual little perks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

As Ashen said, there's not that factor with the gems in the US pricing.  That's unfortunate, I'm sure it's the conversion rate and all that 🙁. This is more to clarify though that the actual price of the expansion is not overblown, that's the cost with gems and all the optionals.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the problem is the price tag here. They announced expansions would be smaller but more frequent, which is not a bad thing on its own, but at a reduced price.

"Reduced" price is just a 5€ reduction here, even on more expensive versions, which is kind of a joke... I was expecting a price of 15-20€ max. Now what many feared is getting a bit real : a LW season marketed as an expansion. Paid content we were getting for free.

I'm not against paid content if it means more regular content. Anet has to make some money too. But if you announce a price reduction, do it for real, not a tiny -5€ to justify the economic change...

• Like 8