Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Expansion: Pre-Order, Wail Till Launch to Purchase or Not Purchasing

• I am Pre-Ordering.
    • I am waiting till launch to see if the expansion is good.
    • I am not purchasing.

21 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

u delute from the topic i tell u why Raids are dead they are minority content and they attract min maxer toxics.

i don't see all the other contents be dead u mentioned.

but ya tell urself that Raiders are welcome everyone

Why do all raiders have to welcome everyone.

Why cant you get people together and do raids like they did?

Its even easier now with the guides, power creep and emboldened.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why do all raiders have to welcome everyone.

Why cant you get people together and do raids like they did?

Its even easier now with the guides, power creep and emboldened.

Entirely too many people equate someone else not catering to them as being toxic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Doragor.2749 said:

I'm confused...

Not owning the new xpac locks the weapon changes?

Well not the changes to the skills themselfs but being able to use elite spec weapons on core/other elite specs and the new weapon for each class coming later that is locked behind the expansion yes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I never pre order games , I got burned once. Im gonna wait to see if Arena Net goes back on its promise about Leggie and Ascended  gear never being  made outdated, obsolete or bettered. If the nerf my leggie runes that I grinded for over year for I will quit. Ill never be able to trust what they say ever again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:06 PM, Nexus.8652 said:

1. I'm not sure why you're bringing up strikes, but no, 1 selection box per account when I have 20 characters (some with multiple gearsets) is not enough.

2. Your link is regarding legendary runes, which I'm not talking about. Players with standard runes are losing their 6 piece, and they're not being compensated.

I can't believe that Anet thought a single piddly relic box was going to be "compensation" for potentially every character's build being messed up and having all those bonuses removed from them. I have at least a handful of characters I play that rely on those bonuses and now I just have to do without or throw gold I don't have at the problem? That's a steaming load right there. I really hope Anet gives 1 relic box per character who has a set of superior runes in their armor, won't hold my breath though.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I voted wait and see, but I don't think its likely that I will end up buying. Until balance issues are addressed, I will not be making anymore guild wars related purchases.

All of my guilds that play GW2 as their main game have almost no active players, and my friend group that used to play GW2 every day moved on a long time ago. The social incentive that pulled me back in for EoD is not present for SotO.

If they can address balance issues, including problems with some weapons (like engineer sword) being so tied to the specialization that they wouldn't work well with other specs, and the content of the expansions looks decent-- then I will consider buying the expansion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I pre-ordered although no one should ever pre-order anything.

So far I have pre-ordered all expansions. Probably because I don't spend much on the game in between. If we're doing this every year now...this may change, however 25 bucks per year is not much for me/where I live, so it's ok I guess.

Still...never pre-order...I am weak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So about half of us are preordering (me included), a quarter will likely buy it after it launches. C'mon, we know it's gonna happen, right?

And then we have the last quarter who have egg on their face for saying no, I'm not buying and then end up buying anyway, unless some of them actually pull the plug and quit the game.

Anyhow, there's only about 250+ votes so probably not very representative either, especially considered how much negativity there's in the forums and the majority of players hardly ever visiting the forums. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

So about half of us are preordering (me included), a quarter will likely buy it after it launches. C'mon, we know it's gonna happen, right?

And then we have the last quarter who have egg on their face for saying no, I'm not buying and then end up buying anyway, unless some of them actually pull the plug and quit the game.

Anyhow, there's only about 250+ votes so probably not very representative either, especially considered how much negativity there's in the forums and the majority of players hardly ever visiting the forums. 😉

Interesting question would be what version people are preordering.

I did preorder PoF/EoD with their ultimate versions back then, both because there was an actual gem discount (this time there isn't) and because anet actually had my trust at those points in time.

This time I only went with the basic version, owed to both the quality of EoD and the very sparse feature set for the expansion launch. The alternative would pretty much be to quit as I mostly play instanced PvE endgame content and the weapon unlock is way too powerful to not go for. But I'm still grumpy that I'm basically paying 25€ for a weapon unlock and probably not much else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Endaris.1452 said:

I did preorder PoF/EoD with their ultimate versions back then, both because there was an actual gem discount (this time there isn't) and because anet actually had my trust at those points in time.

This time I only went with the basic version, owed to both the quality of EoD and the very sparse feature set for the expansion launch. The alternative would pretty much be to quit as I mostly play instanced PvE endgame content and the weapon unlock is way too powerful to not go for. But I'm still grumpy that I'm basically paying 25€ for a weapon unlock and probably not much else.

Well, whether you view Ultimate wrt Standard, or Ultimate vs Deluxe, you either get some free cosmetics with Ultimate with the former, or 4k gems at half price, in the latter case.

I've gone with Ultimate, I've loved GW2 and GW for over a decade and the few times Anet have asked for my money, I have been happy to pay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Prepurchased HoT and PoF. I quit a while when EoD landed because it didn't look good to me and I was waiting for a discount. Disappointed about the only 20% discount, but finally got it a few days ago.

However, I'm thinking about prepurchasing SotO shortly before release, after I'll have seen a bit more. Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed about the pricing which I thought would be a bit lower. But it looks like a change to me in terms of features.

Unpopular opinion, but relics sound good to me for build diversity, legendary OW armor sounds and looks (from concept arts) good, the flying castle and the lore surrounding it sounds more intriguing to me than Cantha with one more dragon, Kas and Jory. Also, no elite spec is a bad for good, easier to balance and I won't have to fight against stup*d OP specs. More weapons use sounds good in compensation, even with its batch of issues.

I kind of see this as a "features" expansion. If it works well, I hope we'll get some "content" expansions, with less new features, but more maps, story, fractals and such.

I want to give the game another chance to get me back, but if it fails, it could very much make me quit for another few years too...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, vares.8457 said:

What? 25€ is pretty cheap. 

When they said little expansions would be lower in price, I was expecting more than a 5€ cut honestly.

Not saying it is expensive either, that we don't know yet because we don't know much of the content.

It's just they announce smaller, cheaper xpacks. Was expecting 15-20€.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pomdepin.7068 said:

When they said little expansions would be lower in price, I was expecting more than a 5€ cut honestly.

Not saying it is expensive either, that we don't know yet because we don't know much of the content.

It's just they announce smaller, cheaper xpacks. Was expecting 15-20€.

They did not say lower they said slightly reduced and 5 bucks is the latter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:26 AM, Endaris.1452 said:

I got the ultimate edition for the same reason I always do.

I buy gems periodically (and trust myself not to spend them on things I don't actually want just because I have them) so the 4,000 gems are something I'd buy anyway and on their own they'd cost £42.50.

The standard edition is £21.99. £42.50 + £21.99 = £64.49, so that means I get the deluxe edition items for 50p which is very good value even if I don't use all the items (I'll definitely use the raptor skin and the character slot).

• Like 3

On 7/3/2023 at 6:17 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

In interviews prior to launch ANet stated that the game had raids, they just called them explorable dungeon paths, but always considered them to be this game's version of raids. Of course they susbsequently realized that explorable dungeons were not up to the taks of filling the role of raids in GW2 so they developed new, harder, instanced content.

but harde(er) core play was always meant to be part of the game.

It's a bit more complicated than this. I mean, this gets brought up frequently in discussions about place of "challenging content" in GW2. What gets often omited however is that at the same time when they were talking about explorable dungeons being GW2 version of Raids, they were also saying that they fully expected all players to run those. 

No, it does not mean the game was targetting casuals and not hardcore players. It's due to something completely else - Anet never actually decided at which player group this game will be targeted at. They wanted to eat their cookie, but still keep it, and apparently fully believed they can make content for players looking for challenge, that will still be widely accessible to pretty much everyone. In a game with build/gear system that creates massive gaps withing playerbase, no less.

Hint: it's clear they wanted Raids to be a content that was to be much more widely played than it was, and apparently thought that many (if not most) of casuals could be funneled into them with no issues. Which was quite naive (to put it mildly).

Obviously, their hopes were unrealistic from the very beginning, and the mess that got created due to it we have to deal with even today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2