Secrets of the Obscure or Guild Wars 3?

Call me crazy but for quite some time I had the feeling that ArenaNet was in the process of ending the story of Guild Wars 2. Two elder dragons killed in one (disappointing) end of the story line of one of those elder dragons. End of Dragons as the name of the third expansion. The end of the run for Guild Wars 2 was near, time for Guild Wars 3!. And then the announcement came that we would get a new form of expansions for Guild Wars 2.

Now we have the first announcement of what will be in Secrets of the Obscure, the first expansion of the new type. I look at it and think: Is this really the type of content, of changes, that I want for an expansion? My answer is  no, I want Guild Wars 3. And looking at the announcement of Secrets of the Obscure I think that ArenaNet wanted Guild Wars 3 too, but had to continue making content for Guild Wars 2.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 46
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

Call me crazy but for quite some time I had the feeling that ArenaNet was in the process of ending the story of Guild Wars 2.

Obviously not. 😉

6 minutes ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

Now we have the first announcement of what will be in Secrets of the Obscure, the first expansion of the new type. I look at it and think: Is this really the type of content, of changes, that I want for an expansion? My answer is  no, I want Guild Wars 3. And looking at the announcement of Secrets of the Obscure I think that ArenaNet wanted Guild Wars 3 too, but had to continue making content for Guild Wars 2.

What difference does it make whether they alter GW2 in a positive way and update/expand its features or create a whole new GW game? Other than people having to start from scratch with a GW3 game, that is.

What do you not like about the SotO announcement? I think it's sounding very promising -- better than anything we've heard in years.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Obviously not. 😉

What difference does it make whether they alter GW2 in a positive way and update/expand its features or create a whole new GW game? Other than people having to start from scratch with a GW3 game, that is.

What do you not like about the SotO announcement? I think it's sounding very promising -- better than anything we've heard in years.

I don't call these alterations positive. For the most part they seem like a hackjob, tearing down and parting out pieces of a perfectly good machine. Very little in SotO is new, and most of everything else needed to break down, dilute, or obviate older designs/features to justify itself.

Which...as a general principle I could contextually swallow. But not as we have specifically seen implemented so far.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

Afaik someone mentioned they were looking for devs for a new game. Then people were speculating about GW3. Not sure how I feel about this. And how long it would take and if I even want it. Still happy with GW2 - and it hopefully will support Win 7 for a bit in the future. Not playing a lot and I would not want to buy a new computer just because of one game. (Might not buy GW3.) Electricity and hardware is expensive nowadays. Prefer to stay on the lower end of the hardware specs.

They could as well develop some other games though. Not sure they they only are going to stay wigh GW2 + expansions or sequels exclusively.

This expansion seems interesting. Release frequency is still okay. And the planned content. I just fear they might push them out too fast - afaik that's what is planned. Bringing another one in late 2024 already. (They should wait at least until early 2025 ... keeping it at 1-1.5 years ... maybe 1.25 years until the next one.) Also the amount of options will be limited. Especially since a lot of stuff gets deal with now. Leaving less options to include new content later. (Unless they really want to focus on maps and story missions only - which would not be that bad if quality there increased.)

GW3 would just be simlar stuff with a new engine - set in the future in Tyria. (Upcoming expansions could prepare for it like EotN in GW1 lead into GW2?) Also: Pretty costly and then they'd have to compete with other big MMORPG out there again (that use new engines and modern graphics and stuff) ... while maybe losing some people on the lower/casual end of the gaming spectrum that prefer to use an old computer and like GW2 just for what it is.

• Like 1

You don't need to buy the new expansion or even keep playing GW2 if you don't want to, but I think it's a mistake to hold back on what we're actually getting because you imagined they might make something else instead (or as well). Anet have never even hinted that they're making GW3 or have considered making it. There's 1 unannounced project they're hiring people for (in addition to hiring more people to work on GW2) but based on the job descriptions (which is the only info we have) that's something entirely different.

This post reminds me of the people who haven't bought anything Nintendo has made for the last couple of years because they're permanently convinced that a Switch Pro or Switch 2 is going to be announced in the next couple of months and when it is all the games they want - and could be playing - now will be available as day 1 ports with upgraded graphics so they just keep waiting and never get to play them at all.

• Like 9

A lot of nice things they can still do for GW2 with expansions, why do people want Guild Wars 3...!?!?

All those people screaming over changes invalidating their hard-earned progress; an entirely new game, is the worst kind of invalidation, I think "Remastered" editions or "Fresh Start" servers are probably the only thing worse... 😄

(said in jest, but the point is I've no use for GW3 at this time)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

To address the questions and the concerns raised after my initial post:

• I don't see a lot of promising features in the announcement for SotO. See the post from Batalix.2873.
  • If GW2 would be altered in a positive way there would not be a lot of reasons for a new game, but SotO is not  altering the game in a positive way.
  • I understand that the development of GW3 could/would take several years. I just think it was on the table a few years ago, and it isn't any more. So we have to live with expansions.
  • If ArenaNet still have many plans for GW2 I really hope we will see them. I am not talking about the story, we simply don't know enough of what SotO will bring us story wise. But the features they announced for SotO are not very impressive. Some of them would be great for a new game, not so much for an 11 year old game. I specifically don't think the rune changes as announced make a whole lot of sense for an 11 year old game.
  • This is the first time I make a thread about a new game after the announcement for a expansion. This is the first expansion after THE story of GW2 ended. It would be a natural end of the game. Read the first paragraph of my post, it was there for a reason. A new story could work, but some of the announced changes are more suitable for a new game.

I see that I am repeating myself. I still think that ArenaNet was in the process of ending GW2 a few years ago and that something happened. Now they are going to release new expansions of a new type. I am not impressed so far, I think a lot of the "new" features don't make a lot of sense for an expansion of an 11 year old game. I am not sure if I will buy SotO and I have always said that the moment I don't buy the newest expansion is the moment I will stop playing GW2. Would I buy a new game, GW3? Probably.

Edited by Rose Solane.1027
small edit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

Gw3 means...people gona lose all their things they got through spending thousands of hours and also a lot of money they spent on the gem store. I guess i would just stop playing gw2 after spending 5000 of hours in it and 1000€. And i would only remember how much i wasted and not how much fun i had. My husband dont play gw2 with me, because he keeps whining about his old gw1 acc and how sad he is. Same would happen with gw2 and gw3.

I think they can add nice things with expansions. Tho i hope they make smart changes and make old content more and better playable. That there is a permanent reason to go back. Especially also small group or even solo/duo open world content and not another 10000 meta event.

Edited by moony.5780
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

There is only a small group of people who were thinking gw3 would happen in the near future. 

The group who wants gw3 is also pretty small. 

There is no point in gw history devs made any indication they werent done with gw2. Its been clear for years that they were very excited telling new stories in the gw2 world after the dragon cycle. 

P.s. to be clear, if gw3 would happen i would have serious doubts if i would continue in gw world. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There's no reason for GW3.  There's still plenty of the world map left to explore and tech hasn't advanced far enough to justify creating a whole new game.  It would just end up being a stripped-down GW2 with slightly better graphics and maybe engine optimizations. 

ANET's better off building on existing mechanics and optimizing the GW2 engine and upgrading graphics.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2