The best years of Guild Wars 2 are behind us

37 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

An existing fantasy IP does not have to mean GW. There are many fantasy IP out there.

For years I have longed to see an MMORPG set in/on an Edgar Rice Burroughs world -- Barsoom! Amtor! Or Pellucidar, right here on Earth! Fierce sword fights with 15' tall 4-armed green dudes! Gathering tarel in gigantic trees! Not getting eaten by dinosaurs or mind-controlled by Mahars! Alas. The best years of GW2 may or may not be behind us, but my best years are most definitely behind me, and if somebody doesn't get cracking on this SOONtm, well...

• Thanks 1

tldr: to the OP: Been that way for awhile. and since they said they were going to make another xpac 4 sure- i thought that meant we had another 2-3 years before the end times.

Now that they rushed Soto out(feels rushed and little marketing b4 release date)/ major overhaul of releasing xpacs, not sure how long this game is gunna last. Are there more on the horizon? is just the term xpac dead? and dlc is born again? or is this the end last xpac and no more new content coming. or is gw3 on the horizon?  many answers to those questions feel to be limbo for someone who isn't glued to their "official" off main website - site social media sites.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

Uhhgs yea i DISLIKED icebrood saga so much. i left and played ESO instead. 😄

I came back and played Icebrood and thought oh my god what is this.. I only played through once thanks to that charr mission with a vehicle.. Solo that was crazy hard.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

I came back and played Icebrood and thought oh my god what is this.. I only played through once thanks to that charr mission with a vehicle.. Solo that was crazy hard.

And you could not put up a all welcome 10 man squad for it why?

55 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And you could not put up a all welcome 10 man squad for it why?

A what? because i didn't really want a 10 man squad and when i did it i had no idea it was even suppose to be a 10 player thing.. It just progressed from one solo mission to that.

Anyway it only took me 4 hours to pass it..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Another mmorpg?...sigh...don't we have enough of those already? They're SO stale at this point.

If Anet has the guts to make gw3 a single-player game, a la TES, or a co-op with multiplayer(pvp) I will personally eat my shoes and lend my respect for a refreshing change in direction. But it seems like it's the typical bait-and-switch all over again. This game cycle just plays out the same way.

Development ---> Hype Train ----> Game Release ----> Post-release ----> Drought ----> Maintenance Mode ----> (back to development!)

Why woudl they make their prized MMO's sequel (if they make one) a single player game?

And what has been 'bait and switch'? The no sequel that they have not announced and people are making vast assumptions on? Wow, they sure did tell us nothing and then not switch it to something else! 🤦‍♂️

And what you described is literally any MMO/Game as a service's life cycle; It's created ---> People get hyped ----> Game releases ----> 'Post Release' could mean any of a million things (Expansions, DLC, etc) -----> They eventually wind down as they run out of story to tell -----> Game lives on its player base ----> Game eventually closes, because no developer wants to pay server space and maintenance for a dwindling player base. -----> They make a newer game.

Congrats on describing the average game cycle in a high-speed internet world, I guess?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Akisohida.8963 said:

Why woudl they make their prized MMO's sequel (if they make one) a single player game?

And what has been 'bait and switch'? The no sequel that they have not announced and people are making vast assumptions on? Wow, they sure did tell us nothing and then not switch it to something else! 🤦‍♂️

And what you described is literally any MMO/Game as a service's life cycle; It's created ---> People get hyped ----> Game releases ----> 'Post Release' could mean any of a million things (Expansions, DLC, etc) -----> They eventually wind down as they run out of story to tell -----> Game lives on its player base ----> Game eventually closes, because no developer wants to pay server space and maintenance for a dwindling player base. -----> They make a newer game.

Congrats on describing the average game cycle in a high-speed internet world, I guess?

To be fair Guildwars 1 was predominantly solo focused..

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

This is the definition of jumping to conclusions based on incomplete data.

The "truth" is that GW3 is coming? At most what you're doing is guessing. No official confirmation, no truth.

Not everyone will shift to the new one; or, more accurately, not everyone will abandon the old one. GW servers are still maintained and people still play. They started working on GW2 in 2007 and at the same time they also announced this. They weren't developing anything in secret. People didn't have to speculate. ANet made an official announcement. Regarding your 500,000-1,000,000 signature petitions: show proof. These numbers seem highly unrealistic and an Internet search shows no results whatsoever.

Next you list a bunch of things, none of which are even remotely recent. PvP has been abandoned since HoT. So what, they've been making GW3 for 8 years now and haven't said a word, even releasing 2 expansions in the meantime? Alliances is something they've announced years ago. So they've been secretly working on GW3 since they made that announcement? Many people have been laid off around 2020, but they still have sufficient employees to work on 2 major games?

You can have your opinion, of course. But realize it is nothing more than that: your personal conclusions based on your personal assessment of the game throughout the years. There is no concrete evidence whatsoever that they are working on GW3 and giving GW2 only minimal attention. A lot of things they've done since the release of EoD involve old content, i.e. old code. And that is much more complicated than adding new content.

Like it or not, the only reality is the high level of pure conjecture in your post. I don't see proof or truth. I see assumption and interpretation without concrete foundation.

You are mixing a lot of stuff.

Back in GW1 they announced GW2 while they added a Hall Of Monuments to grind for years for stuff in GW2. At the same time they lied that it was gonna be a GW1 improved with jumping, open world and better graphics, so everyone was welcoming GW2. Which at the end it turned to be a complete different game without monks etcetc... which at the end most of the GW1 community didnt like the game, at least at start. (neither other ppl coming from WoW etc thats why the population and earnings dropped 80% after the 1st 3 months of gw2 life, you can check that too, an thats why in HoT they introduced healers/tanks and a boon role kinda trinity)

They will never announce GW3 until its close and they have a similar system to hall of monuments for gw3, cos if not gw2 population and earnigns will tank like hell. Making the new project and survival or Arenanet a risk even.

PvP had updates after HoT, new maps, new UI, new complete HUB, new complete automated tournaments and rewards (gizmos etc). And the sport scene runned until 2017. HoT came in 2015, PvP was abandonned in 2017, with some updates, a new conquest map and 2v2, 3v3 pvp with new maps until 2019-2020. So please dont lie. PvP got a lot of stuff still after HoT release until 2020. Even a new mode of 10v10 was coming, with a map already finished 2-3 years ago.

The company has grown like 75 people already since they started recruiting for the new unnanounced project under unreal engine 5, which is not gw2, basically cos gw2 its not on UE5 and its not unnanounced by any means.

Its not my opnion, its the fact that they are doing a new mmorpg with a stablished fantasy IP.  Call it GW3, GW1 remaster, GW Utopia or however u wanna call it. But its 90% a GW Mmorpg like NCsoft said they were doing new stuff with the GW IP. All the evidences of the recruiting ppl, the quality of the gw2 updates and even colin johanson coming back suggest this. Obiusly i cant say 100% the name of the new mmorpg, but i can say its a new MMORPG that is not gw2, which unless its a complete different IP, will kill gw2. These are facts not my mere opinion, which you can gather the information yourself.

Doesnt matter if not everyone will leave, gw2 has gotten like 300 employees making content for +10 years and the game has always struggle, i belive some of them even wanna change things of the foundation like skills being tied to weapons, no monks and this weird holy trinity of boon etcetc. Imagine after they release a new mmorpg and gw2 have 10 ppl left. Yeah sure ull have a maintenance mode like gw1. 

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

An existing fantasy IP does not have to mean GW. There are many fantasy IP out there.

The only MMO with stablished fantasy IP its Guild Wars Franchise, wich ncsoft stated in a interview months ago that they were planning on doing more stuff with the GW IP. They are not working on Aion 2 or any other NCosft games, cos thats NC job, and anet is not making a korean mmo definetly. Even thrones and liberty etc have been announced so its neither the case.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 7
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Back in GW1 they announced GW2 while they added a Hall Of Monuments to grind for years for stuff in GW2. At the same time they lied that it was gonna be a GW1 improved with jumping, open world and better graphics, so everyone was welcoming GW2. Which at the end it turned to be a complete different game without monks etcetc... which at the end most of the GW1 community didnt like the game, at least at start. (neither other ppl coming from WoW etc thats why the population and earnings dropped 80% after the 1st 3 months of gw2 life, you can check that too, an thats why in HoT they introduced healers/tanks and a boon role kinda trinity)

They will never announce GW3 until its close and they have a similar system to hall of monuments for gw3, cos if not gw2 population and earnigns will tank like hell. Making the new project and survival or Arenanet a risk even.

PvP had updates after HoT, new maps, new UI, new complete HUB, new complete automated tournaments and rewards (gizmos etc). And the sport scene runned until 2017. HoT came in 2015, PvP was abandonned in 2017, with some updates, a new conquest map and 2v2, 3v3 pvp with new maps until 2019-2020. So please dont lie. PvP got a lot of stuff still after HoT release until 2020. Even a new mode of 10v10 was coming, with a map already finished 2-3 years ago.

The company has grown like 75 people already since they started recruiting for the new unnanounced project under unreal engine 5, which is not gw2, basically cos gw2 its not on UE5 and its not unnanounced by any means.

Its not my opnion, its the fact that they are doing a new mmorpg with a stablished fantasy IP.  Call it GW3, GW1 remaster, GW Utopia or however u wanna call it. But its 90% a GW Mmorpg like NCsoft said they were doing new stuff with the GW IP. All the evidences of the recruiting ppl, the quality of the gw2 updates and even colin johanson coming back suggest this. Obiusly i cant say 100% the name of the new mmorpg, but i can say its a new MMORPG that is not gw2, which unless its a complete different IP, will kill gw2. These are facts not my mere opinion, which you can gather the information yourself.

Doesnt matter if not everyone will leave, gw2 has gotten like 300 employees making content for +10 years and the game has always struggle, i belive some of them even wanna change things of the foundation like skills being tied to weapons, no monks and this weird holy trinity of boon etcetc. Imagine after they release a new mmorpg and gw2 have 10 ppl left. Yeah sure ull have a maintenance mode like gw1. 

The only MMO with stablished fantasy IP its Guild Wars Franchise, wich ncsoft stated in a interview months ago that they were planning on doing more stuff with the GW IP. They are not working on Aion 2 or any other NCosft games, cos thats NC job, and anet is not making a korean mmo definetly. Even thrones and liberty etc have been announced so its neither the case.

A fantasy IP does not automatically mean an existing fantasy MMORPG IP. 

An IP can be from books, movies, comic books, non MMO games, and so on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Great. Now 2 questions.

1. Please address the contradictions in your posts. I don't have to tell you which those are because you are so well informed that a simple read through will make them stand out.

2. Where's the proof I asked for, of these petitions which hundreds of thousands to a million people have signed, according to you?

P.S.: I didn't lie. A lie implies an intentional action.

P.P.S.: Your claims directly refute everything ANet has communicated about the future of GW2 and the beginning of a new story arc. Of course they could theoretically be lying or covering up what they're really doing, but don't you think that would seriously damage goodwill towards the company? Not a very good starting point for the release of a new game. It's great that you incorporate all this additional information in your post, but you're still not looking at the big picture here. Also, the hiring of new people to work on a new game does not imply that existing staff is being moved away from GW2 to this new game. They did that before and it didn't turn out well for them. Something about the definition of insanity comes to mind here...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I think it is a little too soon to say that the game is going downhill. Player numbers have been the best they ever been and Anet's new content deployment model just started with Gyala Delve. Whether this is good or bad for the game is too soon to tell.

I say wait and see how SotO plays out then we can talk more about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HonesltlyX.7164 said:

I think it is a little too soon to say that the game is going downhill. Player numbers have been the best they ever been and Anet's new content deployment model just started with Gyala Delve. Whether this is good or bad for the game is too soon to tell.

I say wait and see how SotO plays out then we can talk more about it.

Heresy!  Blasphemy!  How dare you opine that the forums should wait instead of rending our garments in doom and gloom posts about the End of GW2!

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Heresy!  Blasphemy!  How dare you opine that the forums should wait instead of rending our garments in doom and gloom posts about the End of GW2!

I agree. We should wait the release of Guild Wars Beyond in Elona before daring to have a different opinion.

However, I'm happy to see that people can always express their concerns about the future of the game here.

Since the posts' reactions seems to have some importance here for a few people, I'm glad to see that the time has proven me right and that at least half of the people agree with some of my arguments.

In all cases, the launch of a mini-expansion is always great and I can't wait to see how the Zaishen Quests Wizard's Vault tasks and the awakened invasions kryptis invasions from rifts apparitions through Tyria will help to keep the game alive a few more years.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo
  • Like 6
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Great. Now 2 questions.

1. Please address the contradictions in your posts. I don't have to tell you which those are because you are so well informed that a simple read through will make them stand out.

2. Where's the proof I asked for, of these petitions which hundreds of thousands to a million people have signed, according to you?

P.S.: I didn't lie. A lie implies an intentional action.

P.P.S.: Your claims directly refute everything ANet has communicated about the future of GW2 and the beginning of a new story arc. Of course they could theoretically be lying or covering up what they're really doing, but don't you think that would seriously damage goodwill towards the company? Not a very good starting point for the release of a new game. It's great that you incorporate all this additional information in your post, but you're still not looking at the big picture here. Also, the hiring of new people to work on a new game does not imply that existing staff is being moved away from GW2 to this new game. They did that before and it didn't turn out well for them. Something about the definition of insanity comes to mind here...

Again the truth is Arenanet is making a new MMORPG, which by all the information its more than likely that is a GW MMORPG, again call it gw3, gw1 remaster or "gw:wars". And this have and impact on gw2. If its a new GW mmorpg, GW2 will be on maintenance mode. If its a new MMORPG non GW-related, GW2 will get their team downsized in favour of that new project

So one way or another GW2 will not have good economic support to have a big team doing a lot of stuff for the game like in HoT or PoF era. So yeah GW2 best years are way behind us, this is undeniable. 

They have lied multiple times that gw2 was gonna be a gw1 updated, which was not. They lied that they are putting all the efforts on gw2, when you see 1) they are hiring for a new mmorpg, and 2) they are earning more money that is not going into gw2, they clearly have a small team that cant work in PvP, Raids, WvW alliances slow, PvE less polish and low quality. Clearly they dont have a big team , and it seems it doesnt matter how much money gw2 generates right now, since it will either go to the new project or ncsoft pockets not the game.

They couldnt even mantain gw1 and gw2 at the same time. With loads of petition in change.org of thousands of people even millions, one of that was in their official facebook with 1 million signs in 2015, wich Arenanet simply removed it not even daring to answer, even in 2019 with some minor udpates to gw1, that abandonned community managed to send them cupcakes with a value of +3.000 dolars.

Does this argument satisfy you enough? to see that the good years of gw2 are behind us, or you will try to convince people on the copium state.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Idk. A sequal is a risky thing, like Everquest2. The original Everquest still has a larger playerbase than the sequel.  

Folks speculate that EQ2 suffered from bad marketing.  At least Anet doesn't have marketing issues, right?

There was also the fact that WoW launched the same year as EQ2.  Surely the other studios will sit idly by as GW3 launches.  

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Anet project is a mobile game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Again the truth is Arenanet is making a new MMORPG, which by all the information its more than likely that is a GW MMORPG, again call it gw3, gw1 remaster or "gw:wars". And this have and impact on gw2. If its a new GW mmorpg, GW2 will be on maintenance mode. If its a new MMORPG non GW-related, GW2 will get their team downsized in favour of that new project

So one way or another GW2 will not have good economic support to have a big team doing a lot of stuff for the game like in HoT or PoF era. So yeah GW2 best years are way behind us, this is undeniable. 

They have lied multiple times that gw2 was gonna be a gw1 updated, which was not. They lied that they are putting all the efforts on gw2, when you see 1) they are hiring for a new mmorpg, and 2) they are earning more money that is not going into gw2, they clearly have a small team that cant work in PvP, Raids, WvW alliances slow, PvE less polish and low quality. Clearly they dont have a big team , and it seems it doesnt matter how much money gw2 generates right now, since it will either go to the new project or ncsoft pockets not the game.

They couldnt even mantain gw1 and gw2 at the same time. With loads of petition in change.org of thousands of people even millions, one of that was in their official facebook with 1 million signs in 2015, wich Arenanet simply removed it not even daring to answer, even in 2019 with some minor udpates to gw1, that abandonned community managed to send them cupcakes with a value of +3.000 dolars.

Does this argument satisfy you enough? to see that the good years of gw2 are behind us, or you will try to convince people on the copium state.

You know what the problem is? I checked Change.org for all petitions regarding Guild Wars. None of them even reached 10,000 signatures, let alone 100,000, let alone 1,000,000. Since only the creator of a petition can delete said petition, even though ANet might have booted it off their FB page, they could not have deleted the petition. Yet it isn't there. Hm...

I did find plenty of information on the cupcake situation. Found the campaign on Indiegogo.com. It was started out of gratitude to the development team. The why, as copypasted from the website: "Guild Wars 2 is a mostly well balanced MMO with no subscription fee and next to no pay to win strategy. It's exceptionally beautiful. It's forgiving to new MMO players. It has unsurpassed immersion and a solid player community. This, and the time, effort, and dedication this wonderful group of men and women have expended to make this exceptional game available to us are more than enough reasons. Don't you think that they deserve a cupcake or two?" It also didn't concern cupcakes with a value of more than $3,000. It was a little over €1,000.

Since you seem to be quite cavalier with the truth, it doesn't encourage taking your assumptions and interpretations at face value. In other words, it doesn't help your argument that you provide no proof but simply repeated the same statement about a million signature petition, or that you mentioned the cupcake petition with highly inflated numbers and a misrepresentation of why that petition was created. Unless you're talking about another cupcake petition. In which case, by all means, point me to that one then (and don't forget the million signature petition; still waiting for proof of that one).

Besides, good/bad/decent/best/worst, those are all value judgements, not objective statements. To me, GW2 is still in its good years, because I still enjoy certain aspects of the game and because new content keeps getting released. It's far from perfect or immune to critique, but it keeps me playing on a regular basis. And I don't waste time on optional activities if I don't like them. It's also not the only game out there. It doesn't have to give me everything and I don't expect it to either. Whether GW2 is good or bad is a personal assessment. Nothing objective about it. And whether your predictions will come true or not, time will tell.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I do believe that gw2 is in decline based on lack of support and increase of afker's in spvp, wvw reconstructing that is having trouble gettting off the ground, and general agreement that the writing is having issues (to put it lightly). However, the game itself has better mobility and art than most other mmos and is really interactive and rewarding to newer players. Additionally, the player base is quite strong in it's naiveness towards the game and is willing to play on despite less new content. Also the developers have not yet completely given up on the game (a sure sign of a dying game). And despite what these forums may say it will not quite reach the place where barely anybody plays anytime in the near future. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, Tachenon.5270 said:

It occurs to me that the best years of Guild Wars 2 are most definitely NOT behind ME. Why not? Because ! I'm still waiting for a (brace for impact) PROPER Guild Wars 2. One that takes, ya know, everything I love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it in a persistent world. And so on and so forth.

Ah, I've missed that classic launch-day theme music. Thank you for that. I'd swap that back in over the current Canthan theme music in an instant if I could.

As for OP's topic re the game's best years, that was probably the first bit while they were still trying to make a go of the "living world" concept. The majority of the playerbase was mostly still exploring the new, beautifully-rendered world and its events instead of busily min-maxing everything for peak efficiency because nobody really knew for sure what that even meant yet.

While your own individual actions made little to no difference (yes, that village will need help again in 10 minutes) and Berserker gear melted "play your own way" in short order, the big meta events did matter and their effects persisted, in some cases permanently altering the landscape. Viathan Lake wasn't always a toxic waste dump, and of course Lion's Arch was a very different place at launch.

The war of LA was this game at its absolute best, with the Living World working as intended.

Yes the game peaked right around the time it abandoned its original world design concept, but at least that concept went out with one hell of a bang. Still, that doesn't mean that the game has nothing left to offer.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Since you seem to be quite cavalier with the truth, it doesn't encourage taking your assumptions and interpretations at face value. In other words, it doesn't help your argument that you provide no proof but simply repeated the same statement

Dude you are the one lying, and truly on copium.

Again, i stated the facts, you want to keep dreeming. Good. 

Most of the change.org and petitions in facebook and other media are gone already, some even deleted by arenanet. Im not lying, u just werent even there to see gw1 community reaction it seems. You are the one lying about that PvP didnt got updates after HoT release ive already shown you, and your mixing and comparing everything without any sense like how gw2 was announced in gw1, like gw2 is getting an expansion as a statment of what? that they are putting all the resources in gw2? that is not reused content? that they dont have half game abandonned? that they are not working on a new mmorpg? you are on full copium.

Again, new mmorpg coming from Anet. If its gw mmorpg say goodbye to gw2 on maintenance mode. If its not gw related, gw2 teams will suffer a downsize in team anyway in favor of that mmorpg. 

Ive already stated enough facts about that gw2 team is way smaller than on HoT and PoF, that the updates are cheap and lower quality, and that a lot of modes are abandonned. So yeah it doesnt seem the best years are ahead of us, which is the topic of the post. Keep lying

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Dude you are the one lying, and truly on copium fanboism.

Again, i stated the facts, you want to keep dreeming. Good. 

Most of the change.org and petitions in facebook and other media are gone already, some even deleted by arenanet. Im not lying, u just werent even there to see gw1 community reaction it seems. You are the one lying about that PvP didnt got updates after HoT release ive already shown you, and your mixing and comparing everything without any sense like how gw2 was announced in gw1, like gw2 is getting an expansion as a statment of what? that they are putting all the resources in gw2? that is not reused content? that they dont have half game abandonned? that they are not working on a new mmorpg? you are on full copium.

Again, new mmorpg coming from Anet. If its gw mmorpg say goodbye to gw2 on maintenance mode. If its not gw related, gw2 teams will suffer a downsize in team anyway in favor of that mmorpg. 

Ive already stated enough facts about that gw2 team is way smaller than on HoT and PoF, that the updates are cheap and lower quality, and that a lot of modes are abandonned. So yeah it doesnt seem the best years are ahead of us, which is the topic of the post. Keep lying

Right. Selective reading. You didn’t get any of it. Just echoing your previous posts. Gotcha. Cheerio!

Edited by TheNecrosanct.4028
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Right. Selective reading. You didn’t get any of it. Just echoing your previous posts. Gotcha. Cheerio!

He's saying that Anet is making a new MMO, and if that is the case, they are 100% going to pull resources away from GW2. I just don't see how they are going to willingly have a huge team for their new MMO, and then another huge team along side that, working on GW2....it just aint gonna happen. GW2's dev team is already smaller then it used to be, and it will only shrink, not grow, if they are in fact working on a new MMO. 

Are you saying that they aren't working on a new MMO, and the GW2 development team actually won't shrink at all? If so, then that's good news for GW2!

• Like 8
  • Confused 5