suggestion : provide account names for forum reactions when hovering above them

I can't find the post any more (might even be on the previous incarnation of the forums) but at one point when ANet started a new forums platform you did get named icons for everyone reacting to a post.  There was a lot of debate on the forums about the merits (or lack of merit) of this and ANet ended up switching to the anonymous version we have now.  I vaguely recall that one issue was visual clutter, and that objection could be overcome by making a pop up list of names on each reaction you can only see by right clicking on it.  But there were also concerns about flame wars, I think ... it's been a while, I really just remember that it has already been debated and decided so if you can find the old discussion that might give you a springboard for talking points as to how things have changed and why it's worth revisiting the idea.

Without that you're just coming in years late to say "ANet, you made a considered decision a while ago and I am new and don't like how it is so please ignore all the thought you put into it before."  You need to know what ANet perceives as the negatives before you can debate whether or not they are currently factors worth worrying about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gerebos.1065 said:

The "Offended" issue is not an issue at all but when there are some exceptionally good suggestions and they are bombarded with confused emojis just because it does not fit in someone else heavenly and unshakable  picture of the game ,now that is something annoying and we all know that GW2 got  plenty  "conservative " "traditionalists"
In rest is fine,at least in my opinion which is just one of many 😉

Maybe just maybe those were not exceptionally good suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

Well, I tend to feel pity towards these "anonymously" confused people. In my native language, the word "confused" (although out of context) refers to a somewhat not quite fully mentally functional individual who has become so as a result of a traumatic head injury. From childhood, my parents taught me to treat such people with special care and pity, and to never laugh at or mock them. Perhaps for this reason, I find them more endearing than irritating ❤️

OP, try to take such things more lightly 😉

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

I've found that when I point out a flaw in someone's thinking the confused emoji gives them an opportunity to anonymously retreat from the thread without spending a page or more trying to defend and indefensible position or 'admit they were wrong'. It is a vast improvement over the previous system and if the anonymity is part of what makes it work for them then I'm all for it . . .

Well that explains all of the confuse reacts all of my posts get including this post haha

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

Nah, I doubt that would add anything positive to the forums.
Just ignore them. They're just pixels in a forum about a game, so not really anything of consequence.
If inconsequential emoticons on a forum for a game are so triggering it might be time to shut down the pc for a day or two, get some water, touch some grass, reflect some life choices.

Don't you want to  find if people downvote eveyone else , rather than their friends ? :P

• Confused 7

The forum is public as well as the opinions, if you want a place where you don't receive criticism and you don't feel safe because you don't create a circle just for yourself, what are you doing here? You didn't know what you criticize, it may help you improve or you can (ignore)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Derktarlms.6213 said:

The forum is public as well as the opinions, if you want a place where you don't receive criticism and you don't feel safe because you don't create a circle just for yourself, what are you doing here? You didn't know what you criticize, it may help you improve or you can (ignore)

Would it hurt to see who downvote/upvotes us ?:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Hace 4 minutos, Killthehealersffs.8940 dijo:

¿Te dolería ver quién nos vota negativo/positivo? 😛

I accept them and like every forum where the state is part of life, receive but a few faces? I've been posting opinions and I don't jump, why? As I mentioned a few months ago, am I STRONG?

• Thanks 1

I am in a helping mood. Here. Next confused emote is from me. You know thats me, dunno what it changed tho. If you think peoples will be afraid or ashamed to express their opinions with emotes, only becouse you will see their names on it, than I am afraid you are wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This sounds like a variation on the thread where people complained about receiving toxic messages but finding they had been blocked by the messenger so they couldn't retaliate. The forum isn't going to be improved if every time someone leaves a negative emote on your post you hunt them down and demand to know why, or worse go round leaving emotes on all their posts (which I believe happens between some members already). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

But the game is improved by a system that encourages players to harass others that they have blocked? Doesn't really make sense, those two ideas are directly opposed . . .

I guess both positions are a sort of victim-blaming, so I could see the similarity from that perspective . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just remove the emoji's imo

Or if it's for developers to get an idea of popularity, if really interrested in honest feedback, make them visible to developers only

You won't get very useful feedback from"likes/dislikes" or I guess "hearts/confused" emoji as it is

Group think is a real thing

You would get more honest/useful feedback if they were for developers eyes only

• Like 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

My intellect is so vast and cool and superior that even I am challenged to properly convey the irrefragable brilliance of my thoughts using mere words, thus I cannot expect others to appreciate -- or, sometimes, even discern -- the brobdingnagian display of genius inherent in all my posts. Confused faces are, therefore, inevitable.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Most other places I visit that have "reaction" systems implement this, but also remove anything that could be construed or adopted as a "negative" reaction, forcing those who disagree to actually engage in the topic if they want their opinion known.

Other places just label them "Anonymous Cowards".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

On 7/13/2023 at 9:54 AM, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Let's go that way then. As a matter of comparison, If you don't get along with your neighbours and if you just had a dispute with your friend, would receiving anonymous letters in your mailbox saying "i don't like you"  or "you're weird" and so on help anything in this matter ? I don't think my point is difficult to understand. No matter the context, expressing disagreement through anonymity doesn't help much in any discussion, especially in the middle of people already talking.

Not my life btw.

Why not?  Maybe I disagree with you, indicate that by an emoji, and then find that someone else said what I was going to say in response, and I just throw a like on that post.  Why do you feel like you need to know who's disagreeing, or agreeing with you?  At the end of the day, it's a random person on the internet, reacting to something someone said, and has no bearing at all on what I may or may not believe, or agree/disagree with on a forum.  As far as I know, none of the posters are my neighbor, and they're certainly not going to spend any money sending me anonymous letters in the mail.  If "I don't like you" or "you're weird" are the worst things people have to say to me, I can go to bed tonight a happy man, because I've heard a whole lot worse in person.  (self kitten), my neighbor ran up on me with a broom, thinking he was armed and dangerous, until I chuckled, and stepped up.  He was back in his house so fast I thought he teleported...  🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I genuinely don't care if people see my account name if I leave an emote response. I find it hilarious that anyone might consider leaving an emote to be anonymous cowardice but leaving a comment with your anonymous forum handle is not.

The thing I find most funny is that there are some people opposed to the idea of using symbols to represent meaning on a text based forum.

And for those two or three who dont get it, text is just symbols invented to convey meaning.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3