suggestion : provide account names for forum reactions when hovering above them

I gotta ask, how do you think knowing who left you a cry or confused emoji is going to further better discussion in the forums? They clearly aren't interested in adding anything of value to the conversation, why would you want to have a back and forth with someone like that? Just accept people aren't going to agree with you and just ignore the emojis it's super easy to do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

No you can't harass users you have blocked, but some players wanted to be able to continue the exchange after the block was in place because they were upset at not getting the last word in.

Uh, you can, actually. If what you're saying is that you shouldn't be able to, well that was the entire point of the other thread. I'm pleased that this dissimilarity has now been made clear and can be put to rest . . .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

Uh, you can, actually. If what you're saying is that you shouldn't be able to, well that was the entire point of the other thread. I'm pleased that this dissimilarity has now been made clear and can be put to rest . . .

How can you harass someone you blocked?

Unless you unblock and send message then reblock, but should that happen wont the other person just block you back after the first instance of that happening?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

well that was the entire point of the other thread

No that wasn't the point of the other thread; they wanted to be able to harass users who had blocked them. They were upset that you could send someone a message and block them to prevent a reply. While that's potentially an issue in some circumstances, the solution isn't to encourage further escalation by allowing a right of reply to blocked users. The same as in this thread, identifying whoever leaves a negative emote will just encourage such retaliatory behaviour.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I've been away from GW2 for a while, and honestly I was surprised to see we have these emotes on the forums at all. Do we really need this? I think just being able give a "Like" to a post is enough. If you dislike or disagree with some comment, then explain yourself by posting. The whole purpose of forums is to discuss, after all.

• Confused 15
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Fyrebrand.4859 said:

I've been away from GW2 for a while, and honestly I was surprised to see we have these emotes on the forums at all. Do we really need this? I think just being able give a "Like" to a post is enough. If you dislike or disagree with some comment, then explain yourself by posting. The whole purpose of forums is to discuss, after all.

So why should you not explain why you agree aswell then?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Maybe there are 10 guys who concentrate 90% of the confused emotes on the forums and nobody knows.

Paranoia? 🤔
or: what’s wrong on a diffuse „I don’t like it“ reaction? Provides a quick sentient summary.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

How can you harass someone you blocked?

Unless you unblock and send message then reblock, but should that happen wont the other person just block you back after the first instance of that happening?

9 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

No that wasn't the point of the other thread; they wanted to be able to harass users who had blocked them. They were upset that you could send someone a message and block them to prevent a reply. While that's potentially an issue in some circumstances, the solution isn't to encourage further escalation by allowing a right of reply to blocked users. The same as in this thread, identifying whoever leaves a negative emote will just encourage such retaliatory behaviour.

This is the relevant thread.

If you'd like to continue a discussion of the failings of the game's blocking system, that thread or this one might be a better choice than continuing to hijack this thread with a false comparison. This thread is about the wholly unrelated topic of anonymous emoji reactions . . .

• Confused 4

To quote myself from 6 months ago, quoting myself from 7 months ago, quoting myself from 10mo the ago. 

There are people who explaining why doesn't advance the conversation. Dropping the emoji allows contributing without often entering into brick wall back and forths. 

Imho more often than not, from observation over the years, people tend to be so entrenched in their positions in arguments that they believe their subjective opinions are objective fact. It's less "tell me why you disagree with me so we can have a healthy discussion about a topic" and more "tell me why you disagree with me so I can ignore what you say and tell you why you are wrong". 

I genuinely feel most of the time people don't come here to discuss topics but rather to start and then subsequently "win" arguments. 

Only thing I would add on top of this now is the trend of branding anyone who disagrees with you a troll or a white night in order to somehow diminish their disagreement. Sometimes you're wrong, sometimes people simply disagree with you..it's just how it is and its weird people struggle with this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Fyrebrand.4859 said:

If you feel they are bothersome, you can easily block them from appearing on your posts. 

Account - Settings - Notification Settings - Mentions and My Content - Reactions

I have to side with OP on this! Sorry because of a toxic few...this forum community is a huge disappointment! 

I've been playing  MMO'S for 25 years. I've always been a huge participant and consumer of official game forums. Often spending more time on the boards than the game itself...cause back in my day making choosing specs and making talent tree decisions was a permanent feature. So you would constantly theorycraft with other members to not kitten your character. There's always been trolls but nothing as bad as these forums. 

Arenanet has done an awful job removing the truly egregious trashposters from these boards. I can say I see a few of them in this very thread and if Anet could track how many confuse and sad emojis they leave per day its probably a good indicator they only harm the community by offering nothing to the conversation other than their middle finger. Same goes to the smarmy gaslighters. 

Im gonna say, I think the average Gw2 player is in there late 30/40's. It makes me sick to see their behavior they leave on posts that aren't even mine. Sorry, just pixels or not, one in real life does not walk into a conversation to verbally attack the people talking. Do you think they would even have the guts to do so without the protection of being anonymous?

These are bad apples!

WtH is even a confuse and sad emoji even for ?? Get rid of them put a "disagree" reaction if you need a need for a negative response. 

Do you know what I do when I read a suggestion I don't agree with? I leave...simple as that and move onto a next topic.

• Like 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

I have to side with OP on this! Sorry because of a toxic few...this forum community is a huge disappointment! 

I've been playing  MMO'S for 25 years. I've always been a huge participant and consumer of official game forums. Often spending more time on the boards than the game itself...cause back in my day making choosing specs and making talent tree decisions was a permanent feature. So you would constantly theorycraft with other members to not kitten your character. There's always been trolls but nothing as bad as these forums. 

Arenanet has done an awful job removing the truly egregious trashposters from these boards. I can say I see a few of them in this very thread and if Anet could track how many confuse and sad emojis they leave per day its probably a good indicator they only harm the community by offering nothing to the conversation other than their middle finger. Same goes to the smarmy gaslighters. 

Im gonna say, I think the average Gw2 player is in there late 30/40's. It makes me sick to see their behavior they leave on posts that aren't even mine. Sorry, just pixels or not, one in real life does not walk into a conversation to verbally attack the people talking. Do you think they would even have the guts to do so without the protection of being anonymous?

These are bad apples!

WtH is even a confuse and sad emoji even for ?? Get rid of them put a "disagree" reaction if you need a need for a negative response. 

Do you know what I do when I read a suggestion I don't agree with? I leave...simple as that and move onto a next topic.

This is what's wrong with our world today.  Instead of "I don't like it, so I'm not going to participate" it's "I don't like it, so nobody should be able to do it".  The thing is, I've read a lot of the threads on the first few pages lately, but I haven't replied to many of them, and I haven't left any reactions either, including to the post I'm quoting here.  Most of the time, I just can't be bothered.  When I do use the reaction, I may well indicate that I did, and explain why in a post.  Or, I may leave one, and not reply, because of things like "I don't care if there's a Pride cape or not" being conflated to "Well that means you're siding with abusers".  I've got no interest in being dragged into that crap, but if I have an opinion, then I'll leave an appropriate emoji to my opinion, and if that offends anyone, too bad?  I am not responsible for someone else's level of offense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's odd that every time this comes up so many people conflate being disagreed with and being insulted / trolled. They are not the same thing.

The fact some people do is part of the reason that people use emojis. You can express an opinion without getting dragged into a pointless back and forth as some people refuse to accept that people have differing opinions and viewpoints, people will disagree with them, and the absolute refusal to agree to disagree. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

YouTube has a dislike button more for their algorithm but ppl totally use it to troll and that's fine. Not much of a Reddit person but they have upvotes and downvotes. 

Apparently here we have a mental health crisis with sad and confused forum members.

It's ok if Ppl want to show they do not like what you have to say. But the symbol for that should be a proper "thumbs down".

At least that is clear to the author.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

Left you a confuse emoji because I really cant follow through your jibber jabber. 

Anyone commenting to remain anonymous so they can flame a post by leaving a circumventing emoji's as a way to insult is a coward and probably not mentally well to participate in a forum. 

You are arguing for the right to troll as a grown adult but not brave enough to put your name on a desparaging symbol.

Sad faces ... confuse faces = desparaging. They lack honor, respect, and maturity.

This isn't 4chan, it's an official game forum and I rather not see it turn into the sewer its become!

You have a right to disagree with anyone and state your opinion why.  As an adult user you should have a matured measure  how to conduct yourself online.

Actually, I replied to your post, with a quote.  The only anonymity involved is through the actual username.  This is, however, a classic example of what I was communicating.

Stating that someone's post is "jibber jabber" is disparaging.  What's the difference?  If you want to avoid this forum becoming a sewer, perhaps conduct yourself more civilly?  If something someone said goes over your head, ask for clarification.  Oh, and to clarify, I'm not asking for anything.  I guess that's why my post flew right on by you.  The ability to use emojis to avoid discussions very much like this one already exists; I'm simply disagreeing with the premise that it needs to be removed.

I have the right to disagree with anyone, and express that, whether that's through an emoji, or discourse.  You, on the other hand, do not have the right to dictate how I should be conducting myself.  As long as I am working within the rules of the forum, then I don't need to be overly concerned that someone might be offended.

Thanks for demonstrating what my "jibber jabber" was all about.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

Anyone commenting to remain anonymous so they can flame a post by leaving a circumventing emoji's as a way to insult is a coward and probably not mentally well to participate in a forum. 

not brave enough to put your name on a desparaging symbol.

Says the individual who is using a pseudonym in order to remain anonymous.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5