With the future death of Reddit & Twitter, can we modernise these forums?

For all of Reddits faults, and there are many, the upvote system was an amazing tool for showing content liked by the community. 

Are we able to adapt that system, similar to how MS have in it's support tracker, to help mods & devs see what's really important to the community? 

Votes & Polls do the same thing, but it relies on the OP inputting every single option first time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 11

29 minutes ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

For all of Reddits faults, and there are many, the upvote system was an amazing tool for showing content liked by the community. 

Are we able to adapt that system, similar to how MS have in it's support tracker, to help mods & devs see what's really important to the community? 

Votes & Polls do the same thing, but it relies on the OP inputting every single option first time. 

Hehe, good joke, unfortunately they like the QoL thread more, it's a very convenient trash bin.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

These platforms will not die, people are too addicted to them. Reddit blackout did nothing, facebook threads has plummeted. 

You did see that they gonna rename Twitter to X. As in the letter X. 

The website is gonna be X.com.

Ofcourse people gonna think that kitten show is gonna die soon. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

we had an upvote system, people were abusing it, so the forum switched to passive-agresssive emojis

We've never had an actual up vote (or down vote) system which re-orders posts based on popularity. We used to have a thumbs up button but that worked exactly like the emojis - it just showed a count of how many people had clicked the button under each post.

I'd very much prefer not to have one that jumbles up posts or lets people bury anything they don't want to hear.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The only way Twitter dies is if Musk decides to kill it or if the crazies in government who hate him and the idea of somewhat less censored speech and ability to see non propaganda views/info for the plebs get totalitarian power and ban it. While I don't use Twitter and have no desire to, we have thankfully not reached that point with the psychopaths in government...yet. It may come. For Reddit, that'd have to be a revenue thing and them pulling it versus people just boycotting it in droves. That silly blackout act of virtue signalling they did produced resulted in nothing. 

I do think an upvote system is better than the silly emoji system used here....but both types of systems push some majority view or divisiveness and don't add much. One of the biggest problems with vote systems like that is they are often abused to bury anything that is critical. and produce a bit of groupthink or herd mentality.

• Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

People don't want to use 20 different social medias. They want to use one, and since Twitter is the biggest that's the one everyone uses. People aren't going to leave unless there is a catastrophic failure. Isolating yourself to forums only visited by fanboys doesn't help you garner visibility with normies. That isn't to say that devs shouldn't interact with their fans on forums (devs should indeed interact with fans on their forums) but they need to be interacting with normies where the normies hang out, which means also being on twitter.

Edited by Valfar.3761
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't agree with OP that we need an improved upvote/downvote system on the GW2 forum. What is the point? The emoji system we have now is worse than useless. Posts are sequential, not ranked by order or type of votes. The emojis are either redundant, ambiguous, or passive-aggressive downvote replacements. Users can't organize posts/comments based on how they are labeled by users, and forum moderation doesn't seem to make use of them. I would prefer they do away with internet points in this forum entirely.

I would like to see Arenanet using their own website and forums as the main place for disseminating news and updates about the game.

Twitter and Reddit are becoming less friendly for Arenanet to share information.

Twitter can't be viewed anymore unless you have an account.

Reddit has progressively limited how well casual browsers are able to interact with their site.

Most people are not on Twitter or Reddit, however popular the sites are for their user bases. I'm not interested in signing up for an account to an external social media site and downloading their apps to get information about a video game, when that video game has a dedicated website and forum.

Arenanet has made an announcement about changing how they disseminate information and interact with users based on recent changes to Twitter:

Edited by Dovienya.6597
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

Sorry, no up or down votes.  Only confused emojis.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dovienya.6597 said:

I don't agree with OP that we need an improved upvote/downvote system on the GW2 forum. What is the point? The emoji system we have now is worse than useless. Posts are sequential, not ranked by order or type of votes. The emojis are either redundant, ambiguous, or passive-aggressive downvote replacements. Users can't organize posts/comments based on how they are labeled by users, and forum moderation doesn't seem to make use of them. I would prefer they do away with internet points in this forum entirely.

I would like to see Arenanet using their own website and forums as the main place for disseminating news and updates about the game.

Twitter and Reddit are becoming less friendly for Arenanet to share information.

Twitter can't be viewed anymore unless you have an account.

Reddit has progressively limited how well casual browsers are able to interact with their site.

Most people are not on Twitter or Reddit, however popular the sites are for their user bases. I'm not interested in signing up for an account to an external social media site and downloading their apps to get information about a video game, when that video game has a dedicated website and forum.

Arenanet has made an announcement about changing how they disseminate information and interact with users based on recent changes to Twitter:

This! i'm probably old fashioned (or just old) but i would automatically assume that a company would use it's own web presence as the primary form of communication 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

I'm confused i rarely use social media.. I don't even own a Facebook or Twitter so what happening to Reddit and twitter <--stupid name by the way.

For Twitter it's Elon musk being a man child again and rebranding one of the most known brands in the world to the letter X. 

And Twitter.com will become X.com. 

Imagine renaming McDonald's to X-Burger. That's the rough equivalent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would like Anet to use some more of the forum features which are currently disabled.

Images are the big one. Not only is it possible for Invision (the forum software) to allow posting images which are hosted elsewhere (even images which were embedded in posts using the old forum software still work) but it can host them as well. Everyone has an image gallery section in their profile, we just have no way to upload them. I can understand Anet not wanting to host entire galleries for forum users, but at least being able to embed images hosted elsewhere would be nice.

I'm not sure many people would use it but the ability to create blogs and articles (seperate from forum posts) could be useful for some people. I know various people have written guides to things in the game and posted them on here, and having a dedicated category for it would make them easier to find and less likely to get buried.

Personally I'd prefer the achievements, ranks and leader board features to stay off though. We had some of it before with the Vanilla forum (not the original from 2012, the version before this one used software called Vanilla) and I don't think most people cared but I think forums are generally better when posts (and posters) are judged on their own merits and not based on what always amounts to elaborate post counts.

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

For Twitter it's Elon musk being a man child again and rebranding one of the most known brands in the world to the letter X. 

And Twitter.com will become X.com. 

Imagine renaming McDonald's to X-Burger. That's the rough equivalent. 

Not even that, it would be like renaming it to X and expecting people to know it's a burger place by association with the former name. Except he also apparently wants it to be a banking system and a bunch of other stuff as well as (or instead of) being social media.

• Thanks 1