Does Gw2 Feel More Toxic Lately?

Gw2 Player Toxicity?  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Has the majority of the Gw2 community seemed more toxic to you lately?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't Say

56 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

In general? No. On the GW2 forums specifically? Yes. I find that people are more helpful in other MMORPG's when compared to GW2, and when comparing say ESO's forum to GW2's forum, there seems to be less of an elitist attitude over there than here when a newbie asks a question. On the ESO forums, if you ask where XYZ is, or how do you get XYZ, you don't as many "check google/wiki/manual/KB" as an answer, most people just answer it. Here though, "check the wiki" is the default verbiage pasted as a reply, which is fine, but it seems the attitude here is like "How dare you ask a question here as a new player instead of checking the wiki first!". 

That's just what I've observed here. I will say, that there seems to be more helpful people actually in the GW2 game itself, than here on the forums, which is why I specifically reference the GW2 forums. That's just been my personal experience.

Oh ok. I don't actually see that too much myself, but there are definitely some personalities on the forums. And maybe if you ran into them it kinda sucks. But I've usually gotten the answers I want when I ask for something and can count the patronizing responses on one hand. Usually it's under the format of "How do I skip ...." and someone asks me why do I want to skip and then I respond to them with "Because I don't want to, that's not the point of the discussion". But that's not really that horrible imo.

Of course, I came from the battle.net forums back then when flaming was considered normal. And there is of course Reddit which is extremely volatile. The most memey is probably some definitely deranged  people in the Lost Ark subreddit. A new player will ask them "Should I check out this game" and a frequent reply is "Why don't you check it out yourself.?" It honestly defies comprehension. Incidentally I've also seen some very familiar names from over here....

Funny enough they closed their official forums, causing those people to move over to Reddit so that must have sucked. Their official forums was so bad not even I wanted to post there. That's pretty bad.

And there are those that are like "This raid's been out for a month, how can you not know every detail about it?"

But those do not represent the whole community, they're just really loud and stick out. But I've definitely seen their influence in game.

Anyhow, speaking of useless answers, I'm reminded of this joke:

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

On the ESO forums, if you ask where XYZ is, or how do you get XYZ, you don't as many "check google/wiki/manual/KB" as an answer, most people just answer it. Here though, "check the wiki" is the default verbiage pasted as a reply

Pretty sure it's not. Plenty of people answer questions and some bare "just check wiki" is rather rare. Not sure how you came up with the conclusion you're holding here, seems mostly baseless.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

On the ESO forums, if you ask where XYZ is, or how do you get XYZ, you don't as many "check google/wiki/manual/KB" as an answer, most people just answer it. Here though, "check the wiki" is the default verbiage pasted as a reply, which is fine, but it seems the attitude here is like "How dare you ask a question here as a new player instead of checking the wiki first!". 

Players helping players section of the forum begs to differ.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Toxicity in any game depend what part of game you play and how do you use Block/Ignore function.

PvP is toxic in most game since after long day at work or not being able to accomplish anything in real life ppl loose in game and get frustrated so they become toxic.

PvE depend mostly it is ok. Funny story from today LFG for Fraenir strike and commander had 2x alac heal and 2 qdps in description and after ppl joined as adps and qheal he/she kicked out since he/she "needed" these specific roles for Fraenir. Keep in mind that for Fraenir strike is really easy.

Also GW2 is old and any old MMO has players with boomer mentality even if they are young. Something like " I suffered to get this or it took me 50 days to get this so why these new ppl should have it easier, they need to also get it same way as I did".

That drama about relics system was hilarious and sad at same time.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/2/2023 at 4:12 AM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

nah, some people just got whinier. Turn on the profanity filter, use the block option and stop crying wolf where there isn't one and remember, if you push, people will push back.

A paramount example of how sour the attitude of players has turned in this game...

On 8/2/2023 at 3:23 AM, zolcor.2601 said:

has become so hostile and childish lately in their behavoir towards me and others

It's definitely not 98-99% of the playerbase. I am doing a lot of CM endgame content daily, and I can confirm that the number of d-bags has increased significantly compared to pre-Steam release. However, there are still tons of friendly and relaxed people with whom you can have fun and smooth runs. I'd say the balance is about 50/50.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

I've been taking some time off lately from the game because I feel like 98 or 99 percent of the community has become so hostile and childish lately in their behavoir towards me and others. 

it depends if you trying new game modes or where you finding this *toxicity* bcs game is still same,not less and not more toxic.

but i think that if ppl tried pvp they whoud realize how much toxic this game truly is. 😃

I've been taking some time off lately from the game because I feel like 98 or 99 percent of the community has become so hostile and childish lately in their behavoir towards me and others. My question to you is 

I've taken some time off and I can tell you 100% tested the PvE and even WvW communities haven't changed much as in behavior, you get the usual troll/tourette guy in a few WvW servers like TC and JQ (and SBI but that doesn't count), and in PvE everyone still helpful and chatty with the usual banter, but I guess that depends on the time ofc during NA prime you seee more incidence of peculiar peepos but nothing more than meme-talk and such.
I'm not mentioning sPvP and its lobby in all of this because - sPvP is dead.

Enjoy the game, cheers.

P.S.

Also didn't mention Maguuma in WvW because all they do is shiz-talk and meme-talk, not saying it is a bad thing, on the contrary I log in with my Mag-account there just for that.

Edited by Typhoon.8645
errata corrige
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:45 PM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Toxicity in any game depend what part of game you play and how do you use Block/Ignore function.

PvP is toxic in most game since after long day at work or not being able to accomplish anything in real life ppl loose in game and get frustrated so they become toxic.

PvE depend mostly it is ok. Funny story from today LFG for Fraenir strike and commander had 2x alac heal and 2 qdps in description and after ppl joined as adps and qheal he/she kicked out since he/she "needed" these specific roles for Fraenir. Keep in mind that for Fraenir strike is really easy.

Also GW2 is old and any old MMO has players with boomer mentality even if they are young. Something like " I suffered to get this or it took me 50 days to get this so why these new ppl should have it easier, they need to also get it same way as I did".

That drama about relics system was hilarious and sad at same time.

Reading this now - I'm all about ease of use so welcome the change - well should also get rid of Raids since I never play that and never intend to.
Not trying too hard /s.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2023 at 8:38 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Same with most guilds these days, malware infested Discord ruined them.

this is off topic but iv'e actually never had a problem with my discord being hacked yet lmao. i do hear people mention this though. I dont like that discord asks for phone number for some servers..

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I find it incredibly suspicious that you are saying "Gw2 is toxic" but you aren't citing any examples of toxicity. 

It's very likely a "you" problem.

I've noticed that people who say "XYZ community is toxic" without citing examples usually insert themselves in situations where they do not belong, or they're doing something inconsiderate.

So if you're doing things like joining a raid with a garbage build and you get kicked, that's a "you" problem.
If you act cringe or immature in chats and get called out, that's a "you" problem.
If you're spending a long time organizing your inventory after every fractal and you get kicked for wasting everyone's time, that's a "you" problem.

Going AFK in the middle of a raid and asking everyone to cater to your time schedule, that's a "you" problem.

Edited by Poisenbery.8013
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

No, it's just the same, it's just the same toxic ones:

PvP: The same toxic ones who thinks everyone is bad but them, and the same wintraders as always.

PvE: The same ones that gets salty really fast in instanced content and the few ones who are toxic in /map chat whenever an event fails.

Reddit: The same ones that gives negative votes to almost every single post, commenting to in a passive aggresive way or just directly insulting.

This community has toxic parts, like any other community, but its not more toxic lately, its just the same few ones.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Poisenbery.8013 said:

I've noticed that people who say "XYZ community is toxic" without citing examples usually insert themselves in situations where they do not belong, or they're doing something inconsiderate.

Yea, if someone seems to find toxicity everywhere, it does seem kind of strange that the only common factor is them. They're usually the toxic ones, because you know those never admit any wrong. The inability to explain is just coping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:43 PM, Gravitron.7982 said:

In general? No. On the GW2 forums specifically? Yes. I find that people are more helpful in other MMORPG's when compared to GW2, and when comparing say ESO's forum to GW2's forum, there seems to be less of an elitist attitude over there than here when a newbie asks a question. On the ESO forums, if you ask where XYZ is, or how do you get XYZ, you don't as many "check google/wiki/manual/KB" as an answer, most people just answer it. Here though, "check the wiki" is the default verbiage pasted as a reply, which is fine, but it seems the attitude here is like "How dare you ask a question here as a new player instead of checking the wiki first!". 

That's just what I've observed here. I will say, that there seems to be more helpful people actually in the GW2 game itself, than here on the forums, which is why I specifically reference the GW2 forums. That's just been my personal experience.

This 100%. In my many years of gaming, game forums in popular MMOs are BY FAR the worst places in the community because there are a vocal minority of people with 10k+ posts that do nothing but antagonize, gatekeep, and are just overall toxic and unpleasant individuals. I've played multiple MMOs over the years, like Tera, ESO, BDO, WoW, FF14, OSRS, Vindictus, etc. and out of all the MMOs I've played, WoW, FF14 and GW2 have, by far, the worst forum communities.  Something about having the largest communities means there's gonna be a few more of the aforementioned gatekeeping individuals. HOWEVER, like you said, this is not reflective of the in-game community of most of these games (besides WoW), and most players you meet in-game are fairly pleasant people.  This is why, even when I played WoW, I would recommend people to avoid the game forums as much as possible.

Edited by Defias.1892
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

On 8/8/2023 at 7:52 AM, vicky.9751 said:

this is off topic but iv'e actually never had a problem with my discord being hacked yet lmao. i do hear people mention this though. I dont like that discord asks for phone number for some servers..

Just never ever download or mouse over the pictures or links anyone gives you ever.. The discord cloud is infested by malware. There are youtube videos on it if you want to look it up..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"98-99%"?  For real?  Lol.

I feel you either have an incredibly blinkered point of view or you are toxic yourself.

There is plenty of positivity going around in Guild Wars 2.  Capital cities are filled with fun conversations, the recent Festival of the Four Winds had some highly entertaining and lighthearted Crown Pavilion Boss Bashes and the Treasure Hunts in the Cliffs were hilarious.

Sounds to me like you need to shift your mindset.  I wish you all the luck!

• Like 8
  • Confused 1