Since Anet willing to borrow Rifts from Rift, I hope they borrow Dimensions for Player Housing in the future. [Merged]

Since Anet willing to borrow Rifts from Rift, I hope they borrow Dimensions for Player Housing in the future.      

Many MMOs have player housing and does it in different ways.     

But I am more of a fan of the Rift's Dimensions way of handling it. Where players can build their own housing complex, from foundation to Walls 🧱, rather than getting a pre-built house that you decorate.         

I believe ESO does that.        

I enjoy making housing and designing how it looks inside and out.      

Also I liked how the housing was in a Community Housing Instance search, which let people come randomly and rate your house.       

Again housing isn't for everybody, but if it does come, I hope it leans more on the Rift's way it was handled rather than the ESO end of the spectrum. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, TexZero.7910 said:

Hold up, wait a minute...

You think they're boworring rifts from rift and not Rifts and Demons from Diablo thus perpetuating the cycle of Anet and Blizzard stealing from each other ?

Amazon Games might have finally broken the cycle and shown everyone its ok to take things that people like from various games and incorporate them in with some twists. As far Rifts, we have already had our own in game since the Scarlet invasions, let alone the more recent Joko ones. Now will these be like those or like Rifts, Diablos, New Worlds? I admit the differing levels and mechanics in New World's rifts can be challenging, hope these are as well and its not just a run it over with too many player style of event.

• Like 1

I've never been able to decide if I want housing in GW2 or not. I've played a lot of games that have it in some form or another and enjoyed many of them (I've spent more time and gold than I want to think about decorating Elder Scrolls Online houses) but I'm not sure it's something I'd want to do in this game.

If we do get it I hope it's not like Ultima Online where players could put houses in open-world maps. I doubt it would be because I can't imagine that working with the mega-server system but it's one of the reasons I stopped playing UO. You either had to be on a dead server or accept there was no wilderness space, it was just endless suburbs of badly placed houses with the occasional spawn that wasn't blocked (or sealed into a 'courtyard' between houses so only the owners could farm it). I think they fixed that eventually, but I never went back.

3 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

But I am more of a fan of the Rift's Dimensions way of handling it. Where players can build their own housing complex, from foundation to Walls 🧱, rather than getting a pre-built house that you decorate.

I believe ESO does that.

Sort-of, but it's more of an exception and a consession to what some players were trying to do anyway than how the system was intended to work.

When they first introduced housing all the houses you could buy were buildings and the only objects you could place were furniture, but right from the start players were using wooden planks, altars turned upside down and whatever else they could to modify the structures or build their own. Even doing crazy things like buying a house with lots of outside space, covering the house in rock slabs to hide it and then building their own out of planks.

Over time the developers have conceeded that's what some players want to do and started adding more structual pieces, even entire walls, floors, functional doors etc. and a few 'houses' which are empty space to build in, but I think that's still the exception rather than how everyone does it and with the low item limits it's difficult to make it work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Hold up, wait a minute...

You think they're boworring rifts from rift and not Rifts and Demons from Diablo thus perpetuating the cycle of Anet and Blizzard stealing from each other ?

"Mimicking is the best  flatery" (sincerely Skyscale )

Now we have to wait , for what WoW will be use in the next expasnion to copy it and spare some resources (not use to RnD)

What we need is a "stable" enviroment for 1-2 expasnions

Spoiler

(i didnt have any involvement in this mister "wow beacon" .I swear to god those old ggs  are trully envolving into something mosterous-wonderful , worth serving)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Since Anet willing to borrow Rifts from Rift, I hope they borrow Dimensions for Player Housing in the future.      

Many MMOs have player housing and does it in different ways.     

I believe ESO does that.        

I enjoy making housing and designing how it looks inside and out.      

Also I liked how the housing was in a Community Housing Instance search, which let people come randomly and rate your house.       

Again housing isn't for everybody, but if it does come, I hope it leans more on the Rift's way it was handled rather than the ESO end of the spectrum. 

Also create boobytraps ornaments that can be activate by the user/guild (invisible-cant be damaged-500% speed) and let "thieves" to come in to steal something within 5 min . Plus lava tiles and a single block of road that must connect "official road of snowmens (white...that melts if too far from each other)" from the start -endpoint without gap to be eligible (if snowmen melt the owner loooses) and "fake snowmen (blue)" for the guilds to missdirect thieves

• Confused 3

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Gods, no.  Please do not waste limited and valuable dev resources on housing. 

If they did, it'd probably entice me to come back and play the game tbh. It just seems strange that in this day and age, most of the big MMORPG's have some form of player housing, but GW2 has...guild halls. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

If they did, it'd probably entice me to come back and play the game tbh. It just seems strange that in this day and age, most of the big MMORPG's have some form of player housing, but GW2 has...guild halls. 

And then they'd have to monetize the hell out of it to warrant any development time considering a good chunk of the playerbase wouldn't interact with their housing beyond "oh cool I have a house" level.

• Like 2

Dimensions in Rift wasn't a "yet another housing system", it was an integral part of the social and loot aspects of the game and the customizability was HUGE. Almost every map had a nice patch which was purchaseable (with shop money, of course, but they were sellable in-game and even on the loot tables; I never spent money on the game, still I had several houses and dozens of furniture from random loot alone). The patch could be a nice looking desert oasis, an asian style walled court with a small pond, a small peninsula along the shores, etc., basically an outdoor area. Also there were a lot of furniture and "building block" drops and purchaseables, like rocks, walls, complete huts, open warehouses, flowerbeds, trees, stones, tech gizmos, animated stuffs, everything you can imagine, in a huge variety and rarity. The whole bulding system was an fps-style 3D space where every "block" could move, rotate,. zoom, join to other blocks, and such.

Every "house" had an entry permit you could set up to allow or block persons individually or for everyone. There was a ranking system too, scored from one to five starts IIRC.

The guild hall system was based on the same system too, where the base buildings were prefab inns, house blocks, and such, and every guild member could put their furnitures and blocks into and outside.

However, I don't think GW2 needs such a complex system for housing. The player areas in the cities seems enough as a start, and it should have more options to build onto and personalize, but that's it.

Edited by zistenz.1945

41 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

And then they'd have to monetize the hell out of it to warrant any development time considering a good chunk of the playerbase wouldn't interact with their housing beyond "oh cool I have a house" level.

Well if it's good enough, I'd be willing to open my wallet.

• Confused 3

30 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

IMO, if the lack of player housing is preventing someone from playing GW2, then perhaps this isn't the game for them.  There are many other games which provide this.

There definitely are. And there are many that do not offer this, GW2 being one of them. I'll put it this way, the MMO's I'm currently playing right now, have some form of player housing beyond guild halls and garrisons. The MMOs I'm not currently playing? Guild Halls are the best they could go. 

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I count at least 3 other people in this thread besides me that are for player housing in GW2. You must have just missed those posts right?

I found only 3 in total including you, who is the 4th? Besides, you might have missed all the people who are saying it'd be a waste of resources. Remember fishing? Something that was fought for tooth and nail by many on the forums? Exactly.

20 hours ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

"Mimicking is the best  flatery" (sincerely Skyscale )

Now we have to wait , for what WoW will be use in the next expasnion to copy it and spare some resources (not use to RnD)

What we need is a "stable" enviroment for 1-2 expasnions

Reveal hidden contents

(i didnt have any involvement in this mister "wow beacon" .I swear to god those old ggs  are trully envolving into something mosterous-wonderful , worth serving)

Blizz could also wait with their developments and wait for what Anet copies from them. Wink wink.
People still seriously act mad that games copy parts of other games?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I found only 3 in total including you, who is the 4th? Besides, you might have missed all the people who are saying it'd be a waste of resources. Remember fishing? Something that was fought for tooth and nail by many on the forums? Exactly.

Well i bet more fish than raid . And housing is a nice selling  point for  the next expasnion , rather another instance

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Well i bet more fish than raid . And housing is a nice selling  point for  the next expasnion , rather another instance

You have a strange fixation with raids. Fishing was a selling point in EoD, so was the turtle. The turtle had to be forced to be used in metas to be remotely useful beyond the "haha I can TP people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1