Guild Wars 2 Summer/Fall Roadmap Updates

"Bonus events"...

FEEL THE RUSH!

My main concern is about returning to this one map released over 3 updates system. That's a backward step. I know we've done two recently with IBS and it worked, but I hated the 3 step one in Dry Top and Silverwastes. It's spreading things far too thin in my opinion

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Is this balance update going to be another yo-yo update? 

Are you actually changing the way you do skills and balance, or is this going to be more of the same from the past year?  Like including test servers, finding better ways to incorporate feedback.  Are you going to provide an update from a year ago on your design philosophy?  You received quite a bit of feedback on that due to it's vagueness.  It might be good to provide more specific insight into your design decisions since people seem to become more and more confused about those decisions each new update.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Information I find interesting in the blog post:

1. Final map takes 3 updates, not 2. I was expecting Gyala Delve 1/2 and 1/2, but apparently the last map will be divided in three.

2. New weapons are approximately 6 months out.

3. If I remember correctly, the new OW legendary armor is tied to a mastery line. Looks like it will be partially released to us in 3 months, but only partially. It may take another 9 months before we can actually complete OW legendary armor.

4. This is cofirmed by Obsidian legendary armor tier one in 6 months, but a tier 2 only being available in 9. Unless possibly tier 1 is a plainer, but functional legendary armor, followed by a more glowy tier 2 that is purely cosmetic.

5. Legendary relics in 6 months.

6. Rifts will be available in a limited number of maps at first, to be expanded each update.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Confused 1

I like the attempt at a change of direction and innovation. I am however worried about the pacing. 1 year between expansions is a bit of a put off for me, especially if we need to pay for them. I will definitely struggle to finish the content in this time frame especially if the last piece is out right before the next expac. This is likely to put me off playing... Which makes me sad 😿 one of the main draws of the game was it was easy to jump in and out. And now it's gone a bit too far to one end of the scale. But well done for trying. I will of course try to stay positive on the matter as more information emerges and I make my way through soto.

Edited by Tiamat.8254
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Anet, can you clarify on what you mean by legendary armor's tier 1/2?

Does this means t1 is the precursor while the legendary functionality proper is only for t2? Or will t1 offer us the legendary functionality, and t2 merely be a cosmetic upgrade?

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

So only expansion relics what happened to the we will add more core relics after launch?

This covers general stuff through October.  Are you saying if they release them in November, it's not after launch? lol

I had taken after launch to mean moving forward, not immediately after launch. 

• Confused 1

Great summary of the various information drip sources from the last few months!

I think the only new information that I hadn't previously spotted in a post is that Obsidian armor will be two tiers.  That reminds me of the WvW leggy armor.  One has flair and takes more effort, one is basic (visually) and cheaper.  You get the QoL either way.

Like others, I'm a bit concerned that one map is being drawn out over three updates and trying to hold it's own for 9 months.  If those are map extensions like Gyala Delve pt.2 that's going to be miiighty thin.  (though the rift expansion being extended should help)  However, the studio is treading new waters here and feeling out what they can do sustainably.  My hope is you find the success you need to justify the manpower to perhaps beef up future expansions to have a bit more new things to *do* in between expansions.

And perhaps with a more dependable revenue stream, you can ease up on the gem store skin pressure, too. 

Edited by PixelHero.5849

28 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This covers general stuff through October.  Are you saying if they release them in November, it's not after launch? lol

I had taken after launch to mean moving forward, not immediately after launch. 

Woot they are doing 4 updates to october?

kitten next  mini expansion must be in january then

Maybe read the blogpost?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure-launches-today/

Relics 40 Core Relics,
12 Secrets of the Obscure-Exclusive Relics
Additional Expansion Relics Legendary Relic Additional Expansion Relics
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Honestly, I think we got swindled

Thanks for buying this car! You can take it home and sit in it and press the pedals and mess with the dash buttons and turn it on...... but it only comes with 1 wheel day one. The rest you're gonna get in a course of 9 months, 1 every 3 months. Enjoy your new car smell!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were led to believe that:
We were getting a "smaller" expansion, but a complete one. And then they were gonna give us content in 3 subsequent updates (ie. what Living World used to be) with tweaks to the systems.

Turns out, we're gonna get this "smaller" expansion in 4 chunks; and it will take another 9 months to ship out the rest of the EXPANSION content. Not even the full story and maps are here day 1. And most of the interesting things are backloaded: leggy armor, expansion relics, leggy relics (which you took from us legendary rune holders),  new class weapons, complete masteries... all coming in 6-9 months.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

4 minutes ago, devastoscz.9851 said:

Thanks for buying this car! You can take it home and sit in it and press the pedals and mess with the dash buttons and turn it on...... but it only comes with 1 wheel day one. The rest you're gonna get in a course of 9 months, 1 every 3 months. Enjoy your new car smell!

We were getting a "smaller" expansion, but a complete one. And then they were gonna give us content in 3 subsequent updates (ie. what Living World used to be) with tweaks to the systems.

Turns out, we're gonna get this "smaller" expansion in 4 chunks; and it will take another 9 months to ship out the rest of the EXPANSION content. Not even the full story and maps are here day 1. And most of the interesting things are backloaded: leggy armor, expansion relics, leggy relics (which you took from us legendary rune holders),  new class weapons, complete masteries... all coming in 6-9 months.

I mean they were upfront about what it  would be.

That you did not read any of the blogposts cant be blamed on Anet.

Edit

There is a reason I did not preorder and likely wont be buying until 6-7 months from now. 

Depending on when there will be a sale.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, devastoscz.9851 said:

All of which we were told well in advance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Woot they are doing 4 updates to october?

kitten next  mini expansion must be in january then

Maybe read the blogpost?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure-launches-today/

Relics 40 Core Relics,
12 Secrets of the Obscure-Exclusive Relics
Additional Expansion Relics Legendary Relic Additional Expansion Relics

I did read it. Doesn't change a word I've said.

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

3. If I remember correctly, the new OW legendary armor is tied to a mastery line. Looks like it will be partially released to us in 3 months, but only partially. It may take another 9 months before we can actually complete OW legendary armor.

4. This is cofirmed by Obsidian legendary armor tier one in 6 months, but a tier 2 only being available in 9. Unless possibly tier 1 is a plainer, but functional legendary armor, followed by a more glowy tier 2 that is purely cosmetic.

5. Legendary relics in 6 months.

I find this the most annoying part of their release schedule.  I mean, by the time we actually get the legendary armor we will already have a new 'xpac'.  Might as well just say this is part of the next one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

It's funny, because we all know with pretty much 100% certainty that even if everything was crammed into the launch (which Anet was extremely upfront about not being the case) the same people shocked and incensed that the expansion actually has a patch cycle (like literally every other expansion pack ever released),  would be here in 6 months complaining about a content drought instead.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1