How the new daily system in Wizards Vault reduced my enjoyment of GW2 [Merged]

Is this system deliberatly choosing the worst mini dungeons? Weekly had Professor Portmatt's Lab, a lame underwater "puzzle", and now daily is a bugged mini dungeon in echovald. Right now i'd rather do an entire raid wing than those mini dungeons, it would at least be a whole lot less cumbersome.

• Like 12
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Link.6157 said:

Is this system deliberatly choosing the worst mini dungeons? Weekly had Professor Portmatt's Lab, a lame underwater "puzzle", and now daily is a bugged mini dungeon in echovald. Right now i'd rather do an entire raid wing than those mini dungeons, it would at least be a whole lot less cumbersome.

I hate mini dungeons as well but for Portmatt I looked it up on the Wiki first.  It says you should be able to glide from the lighthouse to the island with the final platform without actually doing the puzzle.  I was not able to time that right, but after I dropped into the water I decided to try to see if I could get on the island using the skimmer.  I was able to do it that way by approaching the island at full speed and hover height, then launching off the skimmer and gliding at the right time.  It took 3 tries but I was able to do it that way. 

For today's mini dungeon in Echovald, I have bad memories of playing that one and I'm just going to skip it.

Agreed though, poor choices sometimes.  They need to let you pick 3 of 4.

• Like 8

I'm fine with the rewards of this system so far, but I completely agree with all of the other complaints. Particularly having no choice in daily objectives. I'm almost a purely pve player, but I would occasionally do a wvw daily. Now that option is completely gone, because I do not want my daily/weekly requiring me to do wvw to receive rewards. The bigger problem is that no matter what modes are selected, there are only ever 4 daily "options" available. This should be at least 5, so players can skip one if it's something they don't like doing. Or as today as pointed out, is actually impossible to do because a mini dungeon (Valdhertz Crypt) that is known to break has broken. So I guess I'll just be missing out on today's rewards because there is no alternate objective.

Edited by mrstealth.6701
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

Let me start by saying I have played GW2 since the first release with out fail. With the implementation of the new wizards vault I feel a big piece of the game has been lost. If the goal was to upgrade the rewards, they may have succeeded. But the loss of flexibility that so many of the players enjoyed was obliterated. Some serious revisions need to occur quickly or I can see a large part of the base players becoming seriously disenfranchised. I also hope Areanet realizes that for each person who feels compelled to comment there are many others feeling the same way. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

100 player kills - it's 10 player kills, lol. 

The point was that I got over 100 kills doing dozens of defense events and only got credit for 10 defenses. Nothing quite like completing the older 50 player kill weekly during a single defense (multiple events popped during a prolonged defend fight against BADA)....only to not get credit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, elrin.4750 said:

Everyone is talking about the rewards. One thing that this new daily killed is the social aspect of the old PVE dailies. Daily map events brings people together and have them talking on map chat, same with daily jp, mini dungeon and world boss.

Well, the Valdhertz situation has more people talking in map chat than I've seen in years, but I guess that's not the kind of talking you had in mind. 😄

• Haha 13
  • Confused 2

Overall, I like the system. I just think it needs some fine tuning.

I think ONE fix solves most of these problems: Let players choose 3 out of 6 achievements. How I would most like to see that work is where you can only actually do 3. Once you have done your 3, the other 3 are locked out. I'm not sure if the "locked out" feature is possible without serious coding, but clearly the "do 3 of 6" is possible with the existing code, as the weeklies have a "do 6 of 8" format.

Then, if something is broken (Valdhertz), or it's content you hate, or it takes too long for the reward offered, you can choose something else.

• Like 14

15 hours ago, Blueberry.8095 said:

Another point why I don't enjoy the new daily system is that, we have "Loot the chest of grand Valdhertz Riches in the Valdhertz Crypts minidungeon" today as 1/4 of the daily. It's not an issue if it isn't bugged; but because it's bugged, we left out with no other option to complete today's daily, which is a huge let down for most of the people.

Hence why we really do new a few options to select from, such that, when one just simply bugged (not because we don't want to do it, and who knows how long until it'll get fixed), we can do something else instead, but in this case, it's just a very anti-player system.

Not only, today to do this madness I had to enter the map with a teleport to LFG with the toon i was using and that didn't had this story done, reaching the point killing everyone during the road (hey this is echovald wilds, the new tangled depths ....) entering a cavern with an ongoing group event, killing a champion after the event, discovering an hidden entrance, do a first chamber puzzle, do the jumping puzzle and loot the chest, finally, and this was just 1 of 4 other things that I MUST do (all of them, no choice) to get my daily.

really, I want to meet the dev that got this fantastic idea to change the daily, and tell him that now I'm more engaged in the game..... GG 

Edited by NaramSin.2693
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

tried to do yesterday's daily and could not b/c the mini dungeon has been broken for years: i spent several hours hopping instances trying but no dice. at least in the old system, i could pick some thing else to complete the daily if one of them is broken but not any more. 😞

Edited by fixit.7189
  • Like 7

I was lucky enough to find an LFG with a working instance, but I agree, that daily was painful.

The new system has zero flexibility. An instance is bugged? Tough luck. You can't do the broken defense event? Unfortunate. Can't finish a JP because you have the dexterity of a pregnant snail? Should have selected another game mode. Don't have the time to do a mini-dungeon that takes half an hour to complete? Well, apparently you don't deserve your daily rewards.

Funnily enough, the Wizard's Vault actually made me a more active player in one respect: it's only the second "improvement" to the game that made me annoyed enough to come to the forums to complain.

1 hour ago, daimon.9876 said:

Overall, I like the system. I just think it needs some fine tuning.

I think ONE fix solves most of these problems: Let players choose 3 out of 6 achievements. How I would most like to see that work is where you can only actually do 3. Once you have done your 3, the other 3 are locked out. I'm not sure if the "locked out" feature is possible without serious coding, but clearly the "do 3 of 6" is possible with the existing code, as the weeklies have a "do 6 of 8" format.

Then, if something is broken (Valdhertz), or it's content you hate, or it takes too long for the reward offered, you can choose something else.

I'd say: don't make players choose the game modes. Instead, give them all the tasks, but only reward them for the first three (dailies) or six (weeklies) they complete.

Edited by Hachimaro.6234
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Pentacle.3951 said:

I'm sorry but I dont understand the new daily system.  the old was seemed straight forward, but this one requires a lot of no PVE type stuff?  Not my cup of tea, but  whateves have fun if you like that...

if you had unticked the check box infront of wvw and spvp you would have only got pve stuffs.

Go into the cog in top right corner of wizards vault and it will be all pve both weekly and daily of you do it befoe weekly reset in alittle over 5 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It used to be the Star Trek online rep grind system that was the worst. Now GW2 has topped it with all its trait lines and master points grinding. Heck, I really was surprised that the new weapons training mastery wasn't locked behind a trait line grind. And the skyscale grind being easier is a lie. The only thing easy about it is not having to grind the other mounts to get it. If you don't have the other one it's just as annoying. Some are still not able to use it in other zones after they put time into unlocking it. And the relics are a joke. The login daily and weekly change is just more grinding. Do I think Anet is going to read this negative stuff and respond no they will not. The mounts themselves are great the grind system to get them has always been crap to me.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, wmtyrance.3571 said:

Do I think Anet is going to read this negative stuff and respond no they will not. The mounts themselves are great the grind system to get them has always been crap to me.

I'd like to agree with you before the thread gets trash-merged and forgotten, like all the others.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 8/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, Wheezy.2846 said:

Agree on points 1-4 for sure.

Point 5 I... Get people could be, but I didn't have any issues on clarification. I also read all the posts and patch notes and such.

Point 6 I hard disagree with. It feels less rewarding to be able to buy a mount skin, armor and weapon skins, a few black lion utility items, and the ability to get the materials we got before? I think you'd need to look at totals again and think of everything you can buy, including liquid gold, laurels on top of the weekly chests etc.

i like the mount skins , but i miss wow's(subsciption game reasons) method of getting them from various activities. basically having them accessible to be acquired through game play is  a bonus, if you don't use the new system you won't be getting them. as for the other rewards the do seem lackluster.

Responding to the OP:

Points 1-4: I agree completely.

Point 5: Partially agree. I don't find the system at all confusing, but I'd love to read Anet's answers to those questions.

Point 6: Hard disagree. There are multiple videos online where people have done the math and shown that the new system is more rewarding for people who play on one active account. It's only less rewarding for people who are farming multiple accounts for the log on rewards. Sorry if it "feels" worse, but the actual math says otherwise.

Good luck getting a dev response. In my experience with the GW2 forums, since launch, the devs don't respond to people that make good points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:11 AM, Frostea.7451 said:

If the weeklies take 7 hours to do as someone said here, then Im not sure they should be part of the calculation. What before could be done in 5-10 min now asks for 7+ hours? I not sure I will complete them even once. So for me new system is way less rewarding.

Also agree with the other points. I will add one thing. Why cant I track my dailies with the achievment tracker anymore? Why? I liked that. Now it replaces the achievments Im working on, when it doesnt have to.

+1

There were previously weekly rewards for some types of PvE stuff (fractals, etc) and I think those still exist. So the Astral weeklies seem to be extra but again take a long time to complete. Like if I do all that each time (supposing I could even), when am I supposed to make progress on my story? Or do other achievements?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 8/26/2023 at 5:32 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

they're trying to reduce the incentive to just have a ton of alt accounts to farm login rewards from

simple fix for this: limit login rewards to 5/IP. or 3/machine, if they can identify the device.
you need some additionals per machine or IP, in case families are sharing. But you could theoretically disallow people having hundreds or more, I think I heard of that being reported.

but I would guess most players don't have too many alt accounts and I usually only log into an account I'm actually using (I tried EU versis NA, for example, needed account both places... had some just to try new builds--unfortunately this account my main account since I stopped playing on EU, is one of those, so I don't have any characters left that match my account age-- which depresses me every time I want a birthday cake or look at my titles). Occasionally I've collected rewards on 2 accounts, but I don't normally bother with that, and I paid $15-40 for each account so I don't actually see a problem with collecting more as long as I paid for each upgrade. I heard reported that people could get multiples for buying an expansion for pennies, but that was mistaken design for sales in the past and doesn't need to be fixed with gameplay changes in the present, IMO. 

• Confused 5

On 8/26/2023 at 5:32 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

The weekly achievements will usually bring the rewards associated with the activity itself on top of the wizard's vault rewards

the rewards from the activity itself can't be expected to be similar to getting great rewards because an assignment like "kill 100 Awakened" doesn't come with many drops. If you're lucky and you find an event while you're working on this, you could get event rewards, but this isn't as good as the high value things some players could do with their time instead (fractals or raid for instance). Those kinds of things I can't regularly do anyway, but I also can't necessarily do the new assignments.

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

if you had unticked the check box infront of wvw and spvp you would have only got pve stuffs.

Go into the cog in top right corner of wizards vault and it will be all pve both weekly and daily of you do it befoe weekly reset in alittle over 5 hours.

This is why locking people in for an entire week is a problem. I actually looked into the whole thing before launch, and still made the mistake of leaving all of the boxes checked. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3