I'm lost - what do people want from GW2?

Hesione.9412

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I blame raids for this.  Until raids arrived, there really wasn't a need for a trinity system.

I think it lightly started with fractals.

I played the first year of GW2 release and remember I always had to go as guard for support and heal. It was not yet as extensive and effectively designed as it is now. But everyone had a role in the team for which they needed certain classes.

There are days when I curse the wvw. It limits fun when only meta is played because it is effective. In the long run, I lose the fun if there is no variety but strict meta, meta, meta.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I played the first year of GW2 release and remember I always had to go as guard for support and heal. It was not yet as extensive and effectively designed as it is now. But everyone had a role in the team for which they needed certain classes.

There are days when I curse the wvw. It limits fun when only meta is played because it is effective. In the long run, I lose the fun if there is no variety but strict meta, meta, meta.

Fair enough.  I can see that point.  Raids only exacerbated it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Bro I hear you. I played for 3 years until someone told me that I can just spam-right-click those wiggling reward chests at the corner of the screen to immediately open them without its pop-up menu. (And wvw has A LOT of those, that even right-click-spam is a chore xD)

And there are other examples too that I need to complain about in front of my guild or friends until they told me what's possible.

Switching stats on ascended items is nice but costs the fitting inscription/insignia and 5 ectos (rest is cheap). So if you need to switch an entire armor set it may be costy depending on the insignia. Berserker, for example, is about 6g atm, each.

And for the trinkets with reset item, go for the bloodstone ones. https://www.peuresearchcenter.com/resources/living-story-trinkets.php

Just so you know you dont even have to open them after awhile any new ones will automaticly open in your inventory and alot of them will be claim if you change map or log out of game.

4 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

It was not for the heals it was for Aegis that can be used to block 1 shot mechanics.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The thing about the grind is that it always has been optional. What is bothering me now is that with the recent release of SoTO it's the main achievements. 
I'm just burned out at the moment. If I want whatever it is, I will do the grind, and I do want the thing but recently I just don't have the energy.
I wouldn't ask them to remove it however. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Players who know and love GW1 and 2 understand collections is at the heart of the games philosophy and always has been

Funny, I thought it was exploration, min maxing your heroes, and hm missions in gw1. Mind you I didn't spend much time at endgame after eotn came out but wasn't it all about hm missions and exploring zones etc for achieves? What collections in gw1 are you referring to?

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Regarding the grind
I've been playing since release and I absolutely love this game.  I take very long breaks from it, but every time I log back in it feels like I'm "home."  But I find that the breaks are the problem for me.  The game is just too easy to step away from (and honestly forget about) because there's no real "carrot on a stick."  TBH, I think GW2 needs MORE grind.  Not just daily rinse/repeat for participation stars, they need to send us out on "adventures" to find cool things.  I mean...that's why we're here isn't it?

Good example...
Why is there no achievement-based Skiff skin?  Do they have any idea how long and how far I would sail, how many fish I would catch, how many things I would hunt down and kill, how many quests I would complete...just to have say, this boat skin:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/72/Winged_Reverie_Skiff_Skin.jpg

Instead, they locked it behind Black Lion RNG 🤦‍♂️ (which luckily dropped for me).  I think they added it to the statuette vendor, but still...  The point is, they go through all this trouble to add fishing to the game, and it's actually fun, but they give us almost no reason to go out and do it...besides gold that is easily obtainable with little effort (and no effort where gems are concerned).  Too much of the game is like this.

Regarding mixed modes 
I honestly don't see the harm in letting players have their grind of choice.  I get it that they want to get us to try something new, but does that work?  Genuinely asking because I have no idea if people are sticking with PVP after being herded that way (I didn't, although I do enjoy PvP...just not in GW2).

Regarding meta/raids/etc.
Always back to this elephant...LOL.  The problem is that there are two very different and very distinct crowds that intersect at end game content.  The same conversation ensues every time this subject is brought up.  It should be apparent that these crowds are very polarized and don't want to run content together.  Honestly...the solution is to separate them, not the content.

I have been gaming since the 80's.  I'm a veteran gamer that enjoys a challenge (and the grind).  However, I want no part of the whole "elite circus" that comes with MMO metagame.  It's not personal.  I just have enough IRL people drama...I don't need it in game too.

Edited by Golvellius.7856
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Golvellius.7856 said:

Regarding the grind
I've been playing since release and I absolutely love this game.  I take very long breaks from it, but every time I log back in it feels like I'm "home."  But I find that the breaks are the problem for me.  The game is just too easy to step away from (and honestly forget about) because there's no real "carrot on a stick."  TBH, I think GW2 needs MORE grind.  Not just daily rinse/repeat for participation stars, they need to send us out on "adventures" to find cool things.  I mean...that's why we're here isn't it?

There are a ton of achievements out there, which is partly GW's "quest" system. Have you chased those? Example: 3 weapons (Eclipse | Colossus | Scion).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

There are a ton of achievements out there, which is partly GW's "quest" system. Have you chased those? Example: 3 weapons (Eclipse | Colossus | Scion).

There's actually a few that I've chased.  None of the Legendaries though - they've been on my "todo" list forever.  So long in fact that my son graduated from Pokemon to GW2 and got Legendaries before me.  You're right that there's tons to do out there (and probably grind for). It's just kind of scattered and the game does a poor job of telling you how to play it.  I think the Astral Acclaim system with seasons is a good start.  I copped the owl and a few other things.  I'd really like to see something like a seasonal/semi-annual class set (or weapon if that's too much) achievement chain.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

GW2 players when they don't get a high end item in 5 minutes: "GW2 is extremely grindy!!!"

Let me put it that way: i have a lot of legendary weapons, both legendary trinkets (as well as the pve amulet), fractal backpack, wvw ring, and 3 sets of Envoy armor(as well as raid ring). The only issue i've had so far was with raids (let's just say that it's not my favourite kind of content) and WvW (while i do dabble in that content, it's not to the degree where i'd consider having to put 10+ hours per week into it would feel comfortable to me). The recent grind however? It seems completely ridiculous to me. It's not because "it is grindy". It's because it's an extremely unsatisfying and unfun kind of grind. And i can see how this gets pushed more and more to the forefront replacing all other forms of content engagement.

No, unlike what some people try to present the complains it's not about "wanting stuff RIGHT NOW".  That's a complete misrepresentation of what people usually mean when they complain about bad grind in this game. And seeing the very same people keep repeating it, i fear it's completely intentional misrepresentation, by the way.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 9/24/2023 at 5:12 AM, Lucy.3728 said:

Actually, I think WvW is the best place to not run them. Because nobody can kick you out of the map if they disagree with what you're running. The meta doesn't exist outside of zergs either simply because it isn't as easily solved like individual encounters in pve where you can objectively measure performance or the individual doesn't matter much in zergs thus the those builds are determined by the ability to give multipliers (typically party subpport and boon spam) and you can measure performance somewhat just from that.

There are plenty of unused stats and trait lines that aren't used anywhere else. And furthermore, it is not required to optimize for killing speed or support depending on what needs to be done because fighting isn't always required. Deciding whether or not to take a fight is an important skill.

But I mean regardless of location people are going to run certain builds. If the current  builds didn't exist, people would scramble to whatever else seemed to work the best.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Let me put it that way: i have a lot of legendary weapons, both legendary trinkets (as well as the pve amulet), fractal backpack, wvw ring, and 3 sets of Envoy armor(as well as raid ring). The only issue i've had so far was with raids (let's just say that it's not my favourite kind of content) and WvW (while i do dabble in that content, it's not to the degree where i'd consider having to put 10+ hours per week into it would feel comfortable to me). The recent grind however? It seems completely ridiculous to me. It's not because "it is grindy". It's because it's an extremely unsatisfying and unfun kind of grind. And i can see how this gets pushed more and more to the forefront replacing all other forms of content engagement.

No, unlike what some people try to present the complains it's not about "wanting stuff RIGHT NOW".  That's a complete misrepresentation of what people usually mean when they complain about bad grind in this game. And seeing the very same people keep repeating it, i fear it's completely intentional misrepresentation, by the way.

For my 3x sets of legendary WvW armour, back when it was only 365 skirmish tickets per week, it took me about 22 weeks to do each of the two weights of  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Hero's_armor . I have one weight of https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistforged_Triumphant_Hero's_armor and that set took me 29 weeks (>6 months). That duration required me to max out to the end of the diamond chest each week. That's a total of 73 weeks for the three sets.

I created each piece once I got enough skirmish tickets. I'm not patient to wait until all 6 sets of materials are ready to make one set.

Now, just say there was no cap on skirmish tickets per week. Would I have spent more time in WvW so that, say, I halved the time needed. No, that would have been silly. I would have burnt out and hated WvW.

19 hours ago, Golvellius.7856 said:

There's actually a few that I've chased.  None of the Legendaries though - they've been on my "todo" list forever.  So long in fact that my son graduated from Pokemon to GW2 and got Legendaries before me.  You're right that there's tons to do out there (and probably grind for). It's just kind of scattered and the game does a poor job of telling you how to play it.  I think the Astral Acclaim system with seasons is a good start.  I copped the owl and a few other things.  I'd really like to see something like a seasonal/semi-annual class set (or weapon if that's too much) achievement chain.

My biggest thing is I keep forgetting to hit the notification eye of the achievements' menu. Constantly having to redo content in order to realize credit for the achievement.  Now I don't see the achievement crown any longer and my achievement screen notifications are nonexistent. This game mechanic has taken a step backwards.

What i want was what got me into Guildwars to start with..

At best more Guildwars 1 style gaming.. multiclassing and better  game play. At worst Tyria style gaming.. Not HoT, Not PoF, not WvW or PVP... Yes the "release style" Tyria fun Gw2.. Not whatever this crap is we are labored with now.. also ditch the 5000 000 000 currencies while your at it and stop with the ascended and legendary trash..

Guildwars 2 lost the plot.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

What i want was what got me into Guildwars to start with..

At best more Guildwars 1 style gaming.. multiclassing and better  game play. At worst Tyria style gaming.. Not HoT, Not PoF, not WvW or PVP... Yes the "release style" Tyria fun Gw2.. Not whatever this crap is we are labored with now.. also ditch the 5000 000 000 currencies while your at it and stop with the ascended and legendary trash..

Guildwars 2 lost the plot.

Yes, more GW1 style gaming! Make the game more difficult like GW1, tye titles and travel unlocks to character and add a gold storage in our bank so we can use it to store the gold we'd have above the cap and to move it across characters!.
Make the game like on release,  let's go back to some professions being in such a state that they are unwanted! Let's go back to only having repairs in a few places where we can pay for it!

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

47 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Make the game like on release,  let's go back to some professions being in such a state that they are unwanted! Let's go back to only having repairs in a few places where we can pay for it!

I literally had almost no gold for a while because of how relatively difficult it was to make gold at the beginning + how expensive armor repair was. T_T And thousand blades warrior was busted in PvP. And a single mesmer could defend the underwater point on that one sPvP map. And gold was on a per character basis; you had to use your bank to move it between characters (made leveling crafting on my alts a pain in the booty). And changing armor skins wasn't easy the way it is now. And making builds was weird af because of how HPs and traits worked. And map comp required WvW maps. And legendaries were soulbound on use, and people argued against them becoming accountbound. ................

People have some serious nostalgia goggles for release. 😐 The amount of QoL and other changes we've had over the years have been actually really good. Is GW2 perfect? Absolutely not; there are a lot of things that need fixed, but, honestly, I prefer how it is now significantly more than release. 😕

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1