What kind of glider do you prefer?

Just helping Anet here.

Personally I will not buy more than 1 "wings" glider in the gem store. I'm more partial to the more creative ones like the Water bubble, the Eternal Mandala, and the Thousand Seas Gourd gliders.

I'm looking at the Tanglewood glider and wish it was shaped differently; not angel wings number 50.

What about you all? Are you fine with more angel wings or do you prefer the more original gliders?

• Like 3

I gravitate to the ones that don't block my view of my character and the terrain I'm gliding over.  I also avoid blinking, flashing, or swirling ones after using them a little while for the novelty because they can provoke motion sickness.

I'd love an "invisible" glider.  I've had one a few times thanks to a graphics glitch.  It could add in some subtle wind whoosh effects, maybe small contrails off the fingers or body, but nothing obscuring the view.

• Like 7

Honestly I tend to go with what works best with the character's style. I've mostly stayed away from silly ones like the skyscale squadron etc, and the oversized ones like angel wings because of the visibility. I like being able to land with pinpoint accuracy, and that's not possible if the wings obscure my drop target.

• Like 9

I purchased Abaddon's Glider years ago, and it's my most favorite glider of all 😀  Very unusual, and interesting sound effects - I especially like the deployment sound.

I also really like Dragon Fireworks Glider for special effects and cool character's pose when holding it, Forged Glider for cool pose of character on it, and Roaring Dragon Glider for the awesome dragon look.

• Like 1

I like the Zephryte paraglider and the Super Cloud glider.

I have other gilders but I don't often use the floater design that have your character just oddly suspended in a "resting in a forward tilt" pose (example: I like the design of the glider just not the character animation). It just looks strange to me. Likewise the "carefully balancing while traveling at speed" pose looks strange to me as well. Especially in a skirt. (example)

A lot of the gliders themselves have really neat looks, but because I'm picky about the character animation I don't really use others much besides those two. I think there are some others that would meet my preference tho. 

Depends on the character and what they are wearing.  Personal favorites...fox spirit, branded wings, and the lightning wings glider.   I usually mix it up with a festival themed one accordingly.  

The majority of  feathery wings do not appeal to me, but I love some of the ones I see on other characters.  I love the thought people put into a look.  

• Like 2

Looking through this topic it already looks like there's no consistency and the best thing Anet can do if they want to make money from it and/or please as many people as possible is to offer as much of a range as possible and several variations on each to accommodate people who like the overall idea but not all the details.

18 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

Just helping Anet here.

Personally I will not buy more than 1 "wings" glider in the gem store. I'm more partial to the more creative ones like the Water bubble, the Eternal Mandala, and the Thousand Seas Gourd gliders.

I'm looking at the Tanglewood glider and wish it was shaped differently; not angel wings number 50.

What about you all? Are you fine with more angel wings or do you prefer the more original gliders?

I'm pretty much the opposite, I have so many different shapes and colours of wings. I think it's mostly because they're smaller and less obtrusive than the more 'original' gliders. The big ones have to be absolutely perfect for a character or something I really enjoy for me to use. For example I got the raven spirit glider and then found myself dying it very dark colours to try to 'downplay it', even though I like the theme.

The specifics though depend on the character (which is one reason I have so many). Either matching the character's colour scheme or their personality or abilities, like one of my elementalists mainly using the fire wings.

I also have a weird preference for wings which don't flap, because it bothers me that the flapping doesn't do anything.

18 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I'd love an "invisible" glider.  I've had one a few times thanks to a graphics glitch.  It could add in some subtle wind whoosh effects, maybe small contrails off the fingers or body, but nothing obscuring the view.

I'd love this too. I think I've requested it a few times. Personally I'd be happy with absolutely nothing extra, just the character floating through the air. The nearest I've gotten is using the Shimmering Aurora Glider and dying it dull/dark colours, but how visible it is depends a lot on the terrain you're going over.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 3:37 PM, Dyers.1567 said:

Flying Nimbus is my favorite. Dyed mine gold and black to look like Nimbus from DBZ.

Would like to see a super hero cape to fly.

I have an asura that could make a fairly decent Batman™ if he had the cowl to go with the outfit. Granted the cape seems a bit plastic and stiff but it goes well with his current outfit.

Edited by GamerOnline.3650

10 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm pretty much the opposite, I have so many different shapes and colours of wings. I think it's mostly because they're smaller and less obtrusive than the more 'original' gliders. The big ones have to be absolutely perfect for a character or something I really enjoy for me to use. For example I got the raven spirit glider and then found myself dying it very dark colours to try to 'downplay it', even though I like the theme.

I put that raven spirit on my Norn since she has raven as her PS totem and usually has one in an active pet slot. Dyed to match her color scheme, she looks great with it but yes it is huge. That's kind of an instance of one I wouldn't otherwise use but it's "absolutely perfect for the character." My other characters' gliders are all very much on the smaller side for visibility purposes.

7 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I put that raven spirit on my Norn since she has raven as her PS totem and usually has one in an active pet slot. Dyed to match her color scheme, she looks great with it but yes it is huge. That's kind of an instance of one I wouldn't otherwise use but it's "absolutely perfect for the character." My other characters' gliders are all very much on the smaller side for visibility purposes.

That's the same reason I got it. My norn necromancer is a raven devotee, so it's ideal for him. But I keep swapping back to the black wings because they're smaller.

On 10/2/2023 at 10:31 PM, Ghastly.3914 said:

Just helping Anet here.

1 that glides.

More variation the better.  i would prefere if every glider + backpack was dyeable !!!!

Edited by arazoth.7290
  • Like 1

I am using the following on my characters (and I usually stick to a glider, because I chose it to fit the character's theme):

PvE chars:

• Soul River Glider
  • Snowflake Glider
  • Electromagnetic Descender
  • Roaring Dragon Glider
  • Grasping Phantom Glider
  • Vermillion Wings Glider
  • Phoenix Glider
  • Sorcerer's Cape Glider
  • Magic Carpet Glider

WvW chars (I hate any oversized gliders being used in WvW, as they block your teammates' view, which can be fatal):

• Riding Boom Glider
  • Eternal Mandala Glider
  • Hawk Wings Glider
  • Zephyrite Paraglider

Now guess the race and profession that goes with each glider! 😄

• Confused 2

It really depends on my character.  

For my engineer and thief I like jet packs. 

For my Norn characters I like the shiverpeaks glider. 

For my Sylvari characters I like nature themed gliders like floral or tangle wood.  

I also have several Wingly themed characters (from Legend of Dragoon) and they use glowy wings.  

My asurans use the inquest chair.  My elementalist uses the geomancer glider.  

It just depends.